Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast
    Liked 292 Times in 109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Yes bystanders, marshals, control could have done things.

But it's not such a blind corner.

Is it not unreasonable to expect the driver to either:
    i) attempt to slow down and go around the obstruction
    ii) attempt to stop despite hitting the obstruction.

Only one person made the decision to put his foot down hoping to blast through to the other side.

Well if you watch the Dirtfish video posted right after the incident at regroup. You can hear Tänak saying to Fourmaux that he was basicly F* it and tried to go through but it didnt, and to Evans he sayd exaclty that he went on full throttle to go through it but it instantly snapped the wheels to lock and stopped the car. But i think it is normal in that situation from drivers perspective? Ott was having a massive attack and had a massive split times compared to others before the incident. You have few seconds to react and he decided to floor it and try to go through. Seems only logical if you are trying to close in on a podium position.

Liked 1,164 Times in 624 Posts
    Tanak is one hell of a good driver, but he seems often very stupid as a person.

I wonder if he tried to do the same thing with the deer. Just say fuck it, drive straight into it and hope through some miracle he escapes unscathed.
    There could have been another car or whatever obstacle behind that arch. Driving full throttle into it is only something a drunk destruction derby driver would do.

Liked 292 Times in 109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

I wonder if he tried to do the same thing with the deer. Just say fuck it, drive straight into it and hope through some miracle he escapes unscathed.
    There could have been another car or whatever obstacle behind that arch. Driving full throttle into it is only something a drunk destruction derby driver would do.
    Clearly the arch was down enough as seen in the video that he saw there was nothing behind it and regarding the Deer, i think it was mentioned that the time between seeing the deer and impact was around 1 second or less if i remember correctly.

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
    Any ''analysis'' of this situation past the fact that the organizers failed to stop the car is meaningless.

Liked 12,347 Times in 5,320 Posts

A person who claims a driver deliberately maybe tried to drive into a deer seems the stupid one to me.

Liked 1,164 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyest View Post
    Clearly the arch was down enough as seen in the video that he saw there was nothing behind it and regarding the Deer, i think it was mentioned that the time between seeing the deer and impact was around 1 second or less if i remember correctly.
    The arch was still significantly higher than his car. He could not see what was behind it. But he did saw a big object blocking the road and he decided to crash into it as fast as he could.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    Any ''analysis'' of this situation past the fact that the organizers failed to stop the car is meaningless.
    No it isn't.
    You are right that this is the fault of the organisers. There should have been marshals there and the stage should have been red flagged as soon as the arch started sagging.

But what any sensible driver should do when he sees something blocking the road is brake as hard as possible to limit the damage, stop and contact race control to let them stop the stage. Race control will then give him the lost time back.

These kind of accidents are giving clues as to why Tanak's car so often breaks when others don't.

Liked 2,195 Times in 964 Posts

Yes, you are correct, very sensible thinking.
    A person going 189km/h on narrow forest road deliberately drives into a big animal.

“If it was standing on the road, I would not have hit it,” he told DirtFish.

8. Likes: EstWRC (23rd July 2024)
    Liked 9,544 Times in 5,095 Posts
    Tanak probably had no more than a second or two to decide what to do when seeing the arch on the road.

His vast experience would tell him they are inflatable and not a very solid object even when deflated. He took a chance hoping to go over it and unfortunately it got tangled in the wheels, but a heavy impact was never going to happen.

If he'd managed to go over it and continued he wouldn't have made such a an issue of it all.

Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Tanak probably had no more than a second or two to decide what to do when seeing the arch on the road.

His vast experience would tell him they are inflatable and not a very solid object even when deflated. He took a chance hoping to go over it and unfortunately it got tangled in the wheels, but a heavy impact was never going to happen.

If he'd managed to go over it and continued he wouldn't have made such a an issue of it all.
    I think he meant to go under it, arch was quite high up.

Liked 604 Times in 231 Posts
    Amazing that people on here are insisting that people who may or may not have any idea about rallying are supposed to run down the road and stop a car from hitting a bit of plastic/rubber. This isn’t the way it’s done these days and I doubt there was any danger to Tanak, he could easily have driven around it and then requested the time back. In fact he put anyone standing near it at risk as it could have hit someone who was trying to help.
    So poor form for all involved I’d say. And especially poor comments from Tanak at the stage end.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

12. Likes: JAM (23rd July 2024)