Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast
    Liked 452 Times in 249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CeskyOndra View Post
    There is a one serious question guys - why would a 22 years old and 2 times world champion pick WRC in the future over other motorsports? Is he going to do one-two full time seasons and then again part time or even retire? WRC is sadly not the most famous motorsport and a young guy like him will definitely try to become the best in other series..
    I think he will end up like Loeb, considering other options but in the end sticking to what he is best at, not at least because he will probably discover that no other form of motorsport can give him the same as rallying.

He doesn't come across as someone who is hunting fame.

Liked 2,888 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Still I find it kind of mysterious that he doesn´t want to help his employer winning. Even when not having the obligation to do it.

I don´t see him as an unreasonable person...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

3. Likes: dimviii (Today),Fast Eddie WRC (Today),meh (Today)
    Liked 94 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Still I find it kind of mysterious that he doesn´t want to help his employer winning. Even when not having the obligation to do it.

Half season is half season, I don't see anything unreasonable with him not entering. You can like your job and even company you are working for and still reject overtime request.

Quote Originally Posted by Backa View Post
    Half season is half season, I don't see anything unreasonable with him not entering. You can like your job and even company you are working for and still reject overtime request.
    That is, in my opinion, a very simplified conclusion.

He doesn´t have a 9-5 work, he isn´t underpaid, he is a professional, hired for something and paid after that. Having its own contract as an excuse doesn´t fit the situation at all.

Liked 333 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    I think he will end up like Loeb, considering other options but in the end sticking to what he is best at, not at least because he will probably discover that no other form of motorsport can give him the same as rallying.

I kinda have a feeling he is bored of WRC since he is on completely other level than the rest of the field. Maybe he take this year as a potential seek for future, where he want to go, maybe to try something different. He is very talented driver, but that doesn't mean he will do well outside of rallying. He is actualy in the right team to do so, since Toyota is present on many different motorsport projects. We saw recent Ekstrom (former Audi driver) situation, where he didn't have other option but to leave the team, since Audi is directing all his money and powers into F1 project, so his options for racing could end. Rovanpera is young, talented and why not to pursue something different, if he have opportunities. Also he could have enough time to learn drive elsewhere, completely different situation than all other drivers, who retire after 40s, when I think some ability may reduce (except Dakar, those guys will drive well until they couldn't walk anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post

Toyota Ogier/Evans/Katsuta is pretty good lineup to do a job. If we compare it to rival Hyundai Neuville/Tanak/''3rd crash prone, 7x puncture, 3x offs, hybrid on-off, penalty and completely off-paced driver''.

Liked 9,597 Times in 5,131 Posts
    Plus he lost the Team big points with offs on 3 of the events he did do (Sweden, Portugal, Finland).

If he was exhausted and chilling at home or on holidays this year I could understand it. But he's been doing all kinds of Motorsport and going to Ireland for rally soon so why not help Toyota on their home event at a crucial time.

8. Likes: Rallyper (Today)
    Liked 452 Times in 249 Posts
    A hobby rally is not the same as a whole week of work for a WRC event.

A hobby rally is not the same as a whole week of work for a WRC event.
    You have to decide your priorities...

Liked 3,898 Times in 2,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    Toyota Ogier/Evans/Katsuta is pretty good lineup to do a job. If we compare it to rival Hyundai Neuville/Tanak/''3rd crash prone, 7x puncture, 3x offs, hybrid on-off, penalty and completely off-paced driver''.
    Numbers:

This year Katsuta 4 crashes in 11 starts = 36% crash rate vs Mikkelsen 1 crash in 4 rallies = 25%

Or in other words:
    Katsuta 2 crashes in last 3 rallies, last crash before that 2 rallies ago,
    Mikkelsen 1 in last 3, last crash before that a year and 4 rallies ago.

In CER:
    Katsuta 0 punctures, Mikkelsen 1
    Katsuta 1 off, Mikkelsen 1 spin
    Hybrid on/off with penalty is now drivers fault? Tell that to Tanak

Off pace with 3rd spot on first day and 2nd fastest on PS.

W/e just make up random stuff.

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

I also thought that. At the end this might happen also since his best chance to be successful in his career is Rally and REALLY has the potential to be the GOAT of the sport.