Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    F1 US GP: Norris beats Verstappen to pole as Russell crash curtails qualifying.
    Lando Norris scored pole position for Formula 1’s 2024 United States Grand Prix as a George Russell crash prevented Max Verstappen and co from completing their final Q3 fliers.
    Oct 20, 2024
    Alex Kalinauckas
    Motorsport.com

Lando Norris scored pole position for Formula 1’s 2024 United States Grand Prix as a George Russell crash prevented Max Verstappen and co from completing their final Q3 fliers. The session was already a shocker for Mercedes with Lewis Hamilton having been eliminated in Q1.

Norris and McLaren will head the grid at Austin in a stunning turnaround from the sprint race, where Verstappen and the Ferrari drivers seemed to have a clear edge. After the first runs in Q3, Norris lead Verstappen by 0.031s – staying ahead despite a massive snap through the penultimate corner largely thanks to a strong middle sector.

On the second attempt on new softs late in the final segment, Verstappen ran ahead of his title rival, having only just avoided a pitlane collision with Pierre Gasly exiting his Alpine garage. But Verstappen’s attempt to topple Norris was thwarted when Russell crashed at the penultimate corner – the Mercedes heading the pack for the final tours. Russell lost the rear of his W15 through the rapid, plunging left-hander and spun off through the gravel trap on the outside to hit the barriers hard, with the resulting double yellow flags meaning no drivers were able to complete their laps.

‘Russell crash curtails qualifying’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...pole/10664648/

United States GP: Qualifying Results
    20 Oct 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Qualifying from the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix at Circuit of The Americas.

Pos Num Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Diff
    1 4 Lando Norris McLaren 1:33.616 1:32.851 1:32.330
    2 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:33.046 1:32.584 1:32.361 0.031
    3 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:33.556 1:32.836 1:32.652 0.322
    4 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:33.241 1:32.962 1:32.740 0.410
    5 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:33.864 1:33.057 1:32.950 0.620
    6 63 George Russell Mercedes 1:33.536 1:33.142 1:32.974 0.644
    7 10 Pierre Gasly Alpine 1:33.550 1:33.162 1:33.018 0.688
    8 14 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 1:33.973 1:33.429 1:33.309 0.979
    9 20 Kevin Magnussen Haas 1:33.564 1:33.474 1:33.481 1.151
    10 11 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing 1:33.611 1:33.020

‘Full results from Qualifying’;

https://speedcafe.com/united-states-...fying-results/

Norris delighted after beating Verstappen for US pole
    20 Oct 2024
    France 24

Austin (AFP) – Lando Norris oozed satisfaction on Saturday after beating series leader and three-time champion Max Verstappen to pole position for Sunday’s United States Grand Prix.

"It was a beautiful lap," said Norris, after claiming his first American pole and his fourth pole in five races as he seeks to overhaul Verstappen. "I was not going to go much quicker than I did. When you just do a lap and you think 'damn, it's going to be tough to beat that' ... I put everything out on the line and it's what we needed to do.”

"We've been on the back foot pretty much the whole weekend. We've not had the pace of the Ferraris or the Red Bulls, so I had to do something and today I did that so yeah, a cool lap and a nice way to start the race!"

‘Oozed satisfaction’;

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...en-for-us-pole

'These things happen' - Verstappen upbeat despite yellow flags denying him a shot at US GP pole
    20 Oct 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘Verstappen upbeat’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/th...88229864263058

FIA post-qualifying press conference – United States
    20 Oct 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

(Conducted by James Hinchcliffe)
    Q: Our second-place starter for tomorrow's US Grand Prix, Max Verstappen. Max, it all came down to that first run a little mistake, it looked like, in Turn 19. Do you think that's maybe where the difference was? Max VERSTAPPEN: Yeah, on the first lap in Q3, I lost quite a bit of time there. So, yeah, that's unfortunate. But then, I knew that we had another run, but unfortunately I couldn't finish the lap. Otherwise, I think we had a really good shot. But that's how it goes. We're still on the front row at least. The potential was there, you know, to be first so that's very good.

Q: Carlos. A very competitive weekend so far for Ferrari. Competitive session for you as well. You said after the Sprint race, if you could just start a little bit higher than you did in the Sprint, you had a good shot at the win. P3 is a little bit higher. How are you feeling for tomorrow? Carlos SAINZ: Yeah, I mean, that was the target, to do a step in qualifying compared to yesterday. Yesterday we were P5, today we are P3, so we've done a good step in the right direction. A bit gutted for that last lap because I was three tenths up on my lap, the 32.6, going into Turn 16, with only two corners left. But yeah, easy to say now. Anyway, I think we've done some good progress and we should be in the fight tomorrow if we get a clean start and then with the two guys in front, it should be a fun one.

Q: And now your pole sitter for the US Grand Prix, Lando Norris. What a run. It was three poles in the last four races coming in here. Make it four out of the last five. Just talk us through the lap and that first run that got it done. Lando NORRIS: It was a beautiful lap. I was not going to go much quicker than what I did. You know when you just do a lap, well you know… When you just do a lap and you think, ‘damn, it's going to be tough to beat that’. But I put everything out on the line. And it's what we needed to do. We've been on the back foot pretty much the whole weekend. We've not had the pace of the Ferraris or the Red Bulls. So I had to do something. And today, I did that. So yeah, a cool lap and a nice way to start the race tomorrow.

‘FIA press conference’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...aipyu6mGP2sxRd

Horner after Austin's qualifying: 'Positive couple of days'
    20 Oct 2024
    Niels Hendrix
    Verstappen.nl

Oracle Red Bull Racing team principal and CEO Christian Horner said, looking back at the Saturday in Austin, after the sprint race and qualifying: “The sprint was a good up lift for the team and our first win since June. Max managed the race beautifully, he just went out and did his thing. Max rode that wave into qualifying and we were quick today.”

“It wasn’t his cleanest lap on the first run in Q3 but the second lap was up, much better and I think he would have been away and got the job done had the yellow flag not come. It’s just one of those things. We are still on the front row and hopefully can fight for the win tomorrow. It’s been a positive couple of days so far.”

'Positive couple of days';

https://news.verstappen.com/en/article/5627/

David Croft shares striking reaction from US Grand Prix crowd after Lewis Hamilton Q1 exit
    20 Oct 2024
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Lewis Hamilton was the second-slowest driver in the session after a costly mistake. The two Mercedes drivers set their first laps on used tyres and both found themselves in the bottom five heading into the final moments. George Russell, who’s already sealed the intra-team qualifying battle, comfortably cleared the bar.

There was still time left in the session but he wasn’t in a position to push. The seven-time world champion wouldn’t have had the battery power, tyre life or fuel for another run. Hamilton would drop to 19th, suffering the embarrassment of being outqualified by former teammate Valtteri Bottas. Bottas’ Sauber team haven’t scored a single point this year.

He’ll start Sunday’s race from 18th due to Liam Lawson’s engine penalties. For the second time in three races, he’ll have to fight his way through from the back of the pack after a pitlane start in Azerbaijan. Lewis Hamilton’s Q1 exit at US Grand Prix stuns the crowd. To underline his following in the US, presidential candidate Kamala Harris said she cheers for Hamilton. But if the Democratic VP found time to tune in on Saturday, she would have been stunned.

‘Stunned’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/dav...ilton-q1-exit/

Mercedes ‘keep finding ourselves in this position’ as George Russell airs ‘story of season’ verdict
    20 Oct 2024
    Elizabeth Blackstock
    PlanetF1.com

Russell seemed perplexed by the car’s behaviour. “I mean, all season when the car’s in the sweet spot, we’re fighting for poles and wins,” he said.

“Yesterday, we were both fighting for pole, and today we were both almost out in Q1 and you know, I really pushed it on that last lap, ultimately trying to find performance that wasn’t there — and paid the price. I’m really just disappointed with myself, because everyone’s worked so hard to bring the upgrades.”

He went on to elaborate that Mercedes keeps “finding ourselves in this position. It’s how the cars [are] interacting with the tires, the temperature, small changes, the wind. But, it has been the story of the season — old upgrades, new upgrades. Either we’re there, or we’re half second [or] six tenths off.”

‘Keep finding ourselves in this position’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merced...-us-grand-prix

F1 microphones pick up Lando Norris’ ‘unbelievable’ verdict on his US Grand Prix performance.
    As Norris stepped out of his car in parc ferme, the microphones picked up the 24-year-old saying ‘my lap was unbelievable’ as that time secured him his sixth pole position of the season.
    20 Oct 2024
    Tyler Rowlinson
    F1 Oversteer

The United States Grand Prix is set for an exciting race after the final part of qualifying was affected by a late crash for George Russell. Lando Norris will line up on pole position for the race in Austin, with championship rival Max Verstappen lining up alongside him. Ferrari continued to show their pace as Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc line up third and fourth, with Russell completing the top five.

Can Lando Norris hold on for victory at the United States Grand Prix? Sunday’s race is anticipated to be an exciting and dramatic fight at the front given the race pace shown by Norris, Verstappen and the Ferraris across the weekend so far.

Verstappen held on to victory in the Sprint race but it was clear how quick his rivals were during those 19 laps. The charge up the hill into the sharp left-hander of turn one will be tantalisingly close between the frontrunners.

‘My lap was unbelievable’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/f1-...x-performance/

'I got everything out of the car' - Norris happy after 'very, very good lap' for pole in Austin
    20 Oct 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

"Things came together perfectly on this one lap" is Lando Norris's reaction to his pole lap in Qualifying for the 2024 United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.

'I got everything out of the car';

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/i-...87516717201079

Norris vs Verstappen into Turn 1, Ferrari’s threat, and Hamilton fighting back – What To Watch For in the US Grand Prix
    20 Oct 2024
    Chris Medland
    Formula One - Official Site

From Lando Norris and Max Verstappen’s latest battle at the start to Ferrari aiming to capitalise on impressive pace, and from Lewis Hamilton needing to deliver a recovery drive to Haas targeting more home success, here are a few areas to keep an eye on when the lights go out on race day in Austin…

‘What To Watch For in the US Grand Prix’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...DVKd1d5mYMD6li

Verstappen 'really doesn't care' about Red Bull's recent controversy
    20 Oct 2024
    Toby Nixon
    GPblog.com

Reigning world champion Max Verstappen is unbothered by the controversy surrounding Red Bull this weekend. McLaren's CEO, Zak Brown, demanded a further investigation by the FIA into the case. The papaya-coloured team now sit 39 points in front of Red Bull at the top of the constructor's standings, having battled with the Milton Keynes-based squad all year.

Verstappen, who won Saturday's spirit race, said that he is by no means alarmed. "No, it doesn't interest me at all," the Dutchman told De Telegraaf and others before explaining that the device was only a tool to adjust the ride height practically when the car was not fully assembled.

The Dutchman, who's won four of four sprints this year, explained that both team bosses aren't fond of each other, hence the war of words after the fallout at the start of the weekend in Texas. "It's not necessarily McLaren, it's more Zak. He doesn't like Christian, and vice versa, I think. But the fact that they don't like each other is not my problem. I have a fine relationship with Zak. It's not that we call each other, but I just saw him, and then it's all good," he adds.

'Really doesn't care';

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/30736...m-mclaren.html

Sergio Perez: “I don’t have the same upgrades as Verstappen”
    Oct 20, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Sergio Perez: I don’t have the same upgrades. When speaking to the media post-qualifying, Perez revealed that he is not using the same upgrades as Verstappen: “We made lots of changes, which will undoubtedly help tomorrow,” he told DAZN.

“And no, I haven’t got the same upgrades as Max. We see that a lot in the high-speed corners, there are a lot of those here. But in the end, the car is working well. I think we’ve progressed, and with the upgrades we’ve made it was all more positive.” Should this be true, it is unsurprising that Red Bull would give Max Verstappen preference with their new upgrades.

After all, it is the Dutchman who is fighting for the World Championship. Based on Verstappen’s stellar performance throughout the weekend – including a commanding Sprint Race win – updates have made the RB20 more competitive.

‘Sergio Perez: “I don’t have the same upgrades as Verstappen”.’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...as-verstappen/

Lewis Hamilton retires early, Charles Leclerc leaves – Fred Vasseur's Ferrari F1 nightmare
    Ferrari are enjoying a strong second half of the 2024 F1 season - but whether that continues after Lewis Hamilton's arrival is another story.
    Oct 18, 2024
    Dan Burnham
    Daily and Sunday Express

Ferrari's fortunes have been on the rise in the second half of the F1 season. Charles Leclerc, after securing four podiums in the last five races, still has a fighting chance to surpass Lando Norris and Max Verstappen in the drivers' championship. The Italian team also remain in contention for clinching the constructors' title. The future appears promising with seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton set to replace Carlos Sainz next year.

However, sometimes even the best-laid plans can go wrong. Leclerc and Hamilton could form a formidable partnership but if that doesn't turn out to be the case, this could be the nightmare awaiting Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur. Earlier this year, Hamilton told Esquire: "There are days I'm like, 'shoot, I don't know how much longer I can go'. There are days I'm like, 'shoot, I'd love a break' because you don't get a real big break in the season like other sports. You're not really getting a huge amount of downtime.”

Leclerc calls it quits: Being the No. 1 driver is all Leclerc has known for most of his Ferrari career but that dynamic could be shifting with Hamilton's impending arrival. It remains to be seen who - if either - will be prioritised in the pecking order. Being the vastly more experienced driver, it wouldn't be a surprise if it's Hamilton. And a secondary role may not suit Leclerc, who's remained patient with his employers while they've struggled but may run out of tolerance if not top dog.

‘Fred Vasseur's Ferrari F1 nightmare’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...c-fred-vasseur

Mercedes Lewis Hamilton ‘experience’ admission as huge Ferrari F1 2025 switch looms
    19 Oct 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Despite predicting a shot of “momentum” to arrive with Kimi Antonelli, Toto Wolff admits Mercedes will miss the experience of Lewis Hamilton at times. I think we have had a great experience with Lewis over the last 12 years. He will always be part of the family,” Wolff is quoted by the Italian arm of Motorsport.com.

“But of course, as a competitor, when we try to beat him next year, Kimi will join George, bringing with him a momentum as well as youth and freshness. You can feel the smile in the team when you have an 18-year-old on board a car.”

“But having said that, of course, there will be times when Lewis’ experience would benefit the team. Kimi will have a steep learning curve, but it is absolutely the right thing to do for the team and there is no one who would have done otherwise.”

‘Toto Wolff admits Mercedes will miss the experience of Lewis Hamilton at times’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...issed-mercedes

Charles Leclerc wins United States Grand Prix after passing Lando Norris and Max Verstappen on the first corner - as Lewis Hamilton fails to finish following early crash in Austin.
    It was a Ferrari one-two on Sunday as Carlos Sainz Jnr finished 8.562 seconds behind his team-mate. Verstappen was third, ahead of Norris in fourth.
    20 Oct 2024
    Robert Summerscales
    MailOnline

Charles Leclerc won the United States Grand Prix at Austin's Circuit of the Americas on Sunday. The Ferrarri ace started the race fourth on the grid, but overtook Lando Norris and Max Verstappen on the very first corner after they both went wide.

Leclerc has now won eight grand prix during his Formula One career, including three in 2024. Meanwhile, it was a day to forget for Lewis Hamilton, who failed to finish after crashing out during his third lap.

‘Ferrari one-two’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...sh-Austin.html

F1 United States GP 2024 – Race Results
    Charles Leclerc led Carlos Sainz across the finish line to ensure a Ferrari one-two at the Circuit of the Americas
    20 Oct 2024
    John Smith
    Total Motorsport

F1 2024 United States GP – Race Results

Pos Driver Team Gap
    1 Charles Leclerc Ferrari Leader
    2 Carlos Sainz Ferrari +8.562
    3 Max Verstappen Red Bull +19.412
    4 Lando Norris McLaren +20.354
    5 Oscar Piastri McLaren +21.921
    6 George Russell Mercedes +56.295
    7 Sergio Perez Red Bull +59.072
    8 Nico Hulkenberg Haas +62.957
    9 Liam Lawson RB +70.563
    10 Franco Colapinto Williams +71.979

‘Race Results’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...-race-results/

Charles Leclerc wins United States GP as Norris punished in epic Verstappen fight
    Charles Leclerc was untouchable as he claimed a third Grand Prix victory of the season.
    Oct 20, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Charles Leclerc produced an exceptional drive to win the United States Grand Prix as Lando Norris and Max Verstappen enjoyed an epic battle for third place. Heading into Turn One Verstappen made an aggressive move to the inside. Norris covered him off, but not hard enough - the Dutchman wriggled through, pushing his title rival onto the run-off area.

Norris started to come alive during the latter stages of the stint, and so McLaren’s strategists opted to run him long, using his superior pace to create a tyre offset to Verstappen ahead. He eventually pitted on lap 31 and rapidly began eating into the six-second deficit to his championship rival.

‘Charles Leclerc was untouchable, Norris punished’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...tes-Grand-Prix

US Grand Prix: F1 Race Results
    If he can challenge Lando Norris off the line, will we seen a return of multiple weekend wins for Max Verstappen after his Sprint Race victory yesterday?
    Oct 20, 2024
    Hannah May
    FormulaNerds

In the lead-up to the US Grand Prix, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and McLaren’s Lando Norris traded dominance. Verstappen took pole position during Sprint Qualifying and claimed victory in the Sprint Race. However, after a late crash from Mercedes’ George Russell during Q3 of Qualifying, Verstappen was forced to abandon his final flying lap. Therefore, Norris took pole position for today’s US Grand Prix.

Lights out: As the race got underway, Norris had an excellent start off the line. Norris was forced wide into Turn 1 by Verstappen, allowing Charles Leclerc through from P4 to P1 down the inside. Norris moved down to P4.
    Closing stages: By lap 45, Norris was within DRS range of Verstappen. Verstappen had some oversteer out of the Turn 11 hairpin. While this battle was taking place, Russell overtook Hulkenberg for P7 and Colapinto overtook Gasly for P10. On lap 52 down the back straight, Verstappen went deep into the corner, forcing Norris wide off the track as the McLaren driver attempted his overtake.

Norris rejoined ahead of Verstappen for the final podium position. Verstappen complained that Norris left the track to gain position and the incident was noted. However, McLaren believed Norris was ahead into the apex. On the last lap, Norris was handed a five-second penalty for leaving the track and gaining an advantage. He was currently 3.5 seconds ahead of Verstappen. Leclerc crossed the line to win the US Grand Prix, followed by his teammate Sainz for a 1-2 finish for Ferrari. Norris crossed the line four seconds ahead of Verstappen, promoting the Red Bull driver to P3.

‘US Grand Prix’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/us.../?nowprocket=1

‘He simply’: Martin Brundle’s verdict on what was to blame for Lewis Hamilton’s US Grand Prix DNF
    20 Oct 2024
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Watching the incident back, Croft said: “Now, this is Lewis Hamilton, what happened to him? Through turn 18 we go, we know where the car ends up, how did it get there? All by himself!” Brundle replied: “Nothing he could do about that, just turned in normally” Hamilton’s team radio then started and he simply said: “Yeah sorry guys.” Brundle continued and said: “Just turned in normally and he simply hadn’t got enough rear grip.”

Croft concluded: “And it’s like, why, what happened? How did that happen say the fans who were chanting Lewis, Lewis as he got out of the car but that is a very disappointing end to a very disappointing weekend for Lewis Hamilton.” Hamilton was always going to have his work cut out after being eliminated so early in qualifying. He joined Valtteri Bottas at the back of the grid having not lined up alongside the Finn since they were teammates at Mercedes.

He started fantastically and was up to P12 after navigating the ultra-wide first corner where Esteban Ocon was spun by Alex Albon. Brundle suggested that Hamilton should have changed his power unit after his early elimination and started from the pit lane alongside his teammate. It could have benefitted him in the long run but he wouldn’t have seen this error coming even if was exactly the same mistake Russell made on Saturday.

“Just turned in normally and he simply hadn’t got enough rear grip”;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/mar...rand-prix-dnf/

Verstappen Norris run-in overshadows Ferrari 1-2 at US GP
    Oct 20, 2024
    Samarth Kanal
    The Race

Charles Leclerc led Carlos Sainz in a Ferrari 1-2 at the 2024 United States Grand Prix while Max Verstappen completed the podium after Formula 1 title rival Lando Norris was penalised late in the race. Leclerc took the lead when McLaren’s title contender Norris was forced wide by drivers’ championship leader Max Verstappen into Turn 1 on the opening lap. Leclerc led comfortably until the chequered flag and beat team-mate Sainz to victory by 8.5 seconds.

The battle for the final podium spot came down to the title rivals. McLaren decided to keep its drivers out longer than the Ferraris and Verstappen to offer them an offset. On Lap 52, Norris braked late and went around the outside of Verstappen at Turn 12 - and the Dutchman claimed that the McLaren had passed him off the track. The battle raged on as Verstappen attempted a pass around the outside of Turn 1 on Lap 53, while the incident at Turn 12 was noted. That incident later turned into a five-second penalty for Norris, as the stewards had deemed him to have gone off track and gained an advantage.

‘Ferrari 1-2 at US GP’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/m...ari-1-2-us-gp/

Verstappen lets USGP stewards do the talking after latest Norris fight
    It was another titanic scrap between Max Verstappen and Lando Norris - and the Briton was again on the receiving end.
    20 Oct 2024
    Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

Max Verstappen decided to let the United States Grand Prix stewards do the talking for him following another titanic tussle with F1 title rival Lando Norris. Asked about the manoeuvre after the race, Verstappen said: "I have my opinion. I don't need to say it here. I'll let the stewards do their thing. For us, it was a race where we learned a lot and we will just analyse that."

Verstappen described his race overall as "difficult", in stark contrast to the comfort of his sprint win a day before. "I never had the pace to attack, so a bit different compared to yesterday, just understeering a lot, struggling under braking," he said.

"That also made the defending quite difficult because every time someone wanted to go for a move I couldn't brake that late. It was a tough battle. I tried everything I could, of course, to keep him [Norris] behind. At the end, to be on the podium is still a great result for us."

Another titanic scrap’;

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...t-norris-fight