Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 190 Times in 154 Posts

2024 Race 17 Azerbaijan

The big news is Newey is going to Aston Martin, and Mercedes is finally announcing Antonelli.

I ran some numbers, and unless it has some DNF, it is going to be hard for Norris to come from behind.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Norris only 17th... what a huge blow to his title chances. Along with McLaren not having Piastri support him for the last few races... this all but ends his challenge.

Liked 716 Times in 502 Posts
    It looks like Ferrari might still be in the hunt for the constructors championship as well.

It's great to see several cars capable of being at the front again. And I'm not even sure the qually will show the whole picture, it still could be an interesting race.

Well done for Williams to get both cars in the top 10, but how in the world do you miss a cooler that big? I'm sure somebody's head is already rolling.

Liked 1,156 Times in 640 Posts
    What a race.
    What a race.

I'm still not sure who is at fault for the crash.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    What a race.
    What a race.

It's going to take a few slo-mo replays to figure that out.

6. Likes: N. Jones (15th September 2024)
    Liked 482 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    What a race.
    What a race.

All commentators seem to blame Sainz but I've to disagree. It was unrealistic of Perez to expect that Sainz would drive close to the wall the entire way up the straight. He could have pulled over to the left and still made the move stick, the squeeze was completely unnecessary. Plus Sainz was ahead so he is entitled to take the racing line. A bit of intelligence from Perez and he could have had 3rd position, possibly 2nd. He did the same in Monaco, okay a little but greyer there, and paid the price then as well.

8. Likes: Bagwan (15th September 2024)
    Liked 799 Times in 661 Posts
    What a race!

PIASTRI !!!

What a racer!
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 799 Times in 661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    All commentators seem to blame Sainz but I've to disagree. It was unrealistic of Perez to expect that Sainz would drive close to the wall the entire way up the straight. He could have pulled over to the left and still made the move stick, the squeeze was completely unnecessary. Plus Sainz was ahead so he is entitled to take the racing line. A bit of intelligence from Perez and he could have had 3rd position, possibly 2nd. He did the same in Monaco, okay a little but greyer there, and paid the price then as well.
    If you get a chance to watch the overhead shot of that part of the race, you see that Perez gave Sainz a full car's width within the white line. Sainz drifted into Perez chasing after the slipstream from Ferrari ahead which was in front of him for a short while. But when Leclerc moved into the middle of the track, the slipstream shifted from Sainz to Perez. I think Sainz was trying to stay in the slipstream and moved sideways into Perez who was now in the slipstream and was not going to give it up.

Perez was blameless in that crash. The stewards have called it a racing incident. But l think Sainz got away with it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th September 2024 at 19:39.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    What a race!

PIASTRI !!!

What a racer!
    It was a superb driver by Oscar but Lando also played his part very well for McLaren, first to hold off Sergio Perez and then finished the race ahead of Max.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

Liked 482 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    If you get a chance to watch the overhead shot of that part of the race, you see that Perez gave Sainz a full car's width within the white line. Sainz drifted into Perez chasing after the slipstream from Ferrari ahead which was in front of him for a short while. But when Leclerc moved into the middle of the track, the slipstream shifted from Sainz to Perez. I think Sainz was trying to stay in the slipstream and moved sideways into Perez who was now in the slipstream and was not going to give it up.

Perez was blameless in that crash. The stewards have called it a racing incident. But l think Sainz got away with it.
    Disagree. It was unrealistic of Perez to expect Sainz to stay against the wall the entire way down the straight. A thinking driver would have given Sainz more space. Sainz was ahead with limited visibility to of where Perez was relative to him. Perez, on the other hand, had full visibility of what was happening and should have been able to predict that Sainz was likely to move left. Ultimately it comes down to who could have avoided the accident - both. But who ho had the greater chance of avoiding the accident? Definitely Perez.