Rant on the spaceframe idea:

Starts 6 mins in...
    https://youtu.be/eAP1EdWhBrs?si=js8f0FGkuE2ht_vN

Liked 677 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Rant on the spaceframe idea:

Starts 6 mins in...
    https://youtu.be/eAP1EdWhBrs?si=js8f0FGkuE2ht_vN
    Why's he asking the manufacturers what they want for Rally2? Ask the participants - the customers know best. If that turns out to be a side-by-side then so be it.

But also why he assuming they're not speaking to manufacturers because the answer isn't positive and hasn't resulted in great deal of pr speculation, Lancia aside. Maybe nobody is interested?

Edit: Ah it's because he wants Rally2 to be the top class. Yawn. So let me ask, I thought this thread was just for fun. I'm not under the impression the 2027 plan for slower Rally1.5, tuners etc, got scrapped by the FIA. I thought just the immediate scrapping of hybrid and the Rally 2+ for 25/26. What's going on?
    Last edited by WRCStan; 9th September 2024 at 22:34.

Liked 342 Times in 188 Posts
    The potential problem in future with Rally2 is that it is based on homologation in GpA. If manufacturers lose interest in going through the homologation process then you don't have a base car to work with. Once you've got that base car you need to fabricate most of a space frame inside it to provide rollover protection and bodyshell strengthening. Moving to a space frame formula might give more opportunities for more developers outside of the manufacturers to produce Rally2 cars. It all depends on how the regulations are drafted and how the base car is selected and prepared.

4. Likes: WRCStan (10th September 2024)
    Liked 303 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Why's he asking the manufacturers what they want for Rally2? Ask the participants - the customers know best. If that turns out to be a side-by-side then so be it.

But also why he assuming they're not speaking to manufacturers because the answer isn't positive and hasn't resulted in great deal of pr speculation, Lancia aside. Maybe nobody is interested?

Edit: Ah it's because he wants Rally2 to be the top class. Yawn. So let me ask, I thought this thread was just for fun. I'm not under the impression the 2027 plan for slower Rally1.5, tuners etc, got scrapped by the FIA. I thought just the immediate scrapping of hybrid and the Rally 2+ for 25/26. What's going on?
    I don't think that many or any privateer would be interested in building a Rally2 car. I understand that he just want a base for next set of regulations should be something similar to Rally2. I mean why not, it's proven, it's safe and it's significantly lower in costs than Rally1 base. Still they could ramp up some performance aspect to be a pinnacle of the sport and not hurting Rally2 formula. And asking potential builders/manufacturers isn't a bad idea at all. Assuming that they would be interested and then actually not giving a fu*k is worse than listening to their wishes. They would build them for years and not one-off and that also would mean they have a little word in it and could showcase their best.

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
    if we could get (somebody like) msport and prodrive to share the building of a simple engine (NOT hybrid, because the focus is on the privateers and smaller teams) / space frame spec car that doenst look like any specific road car (i mean, cmoon, is not like we have that many different shapes anymore on our roads) and sell it for a controled cheap price... isnt that cheaper in the end? rallycross is going for spec tube frame cars all over the place (extreme-e, titans, rx lites, rx2e, evo, fc1x). in these examples, its way cheaper to get new parts too, since its all coming from 'one' place.
    if skoda, subaru, toyota, chinese brands, peugeot wants to participate, then they just gotta produce the front bumpers with their road-based design (headlights and front grill). i THINK im shifting to this view tbh. you can keep this rule for 10 years because its just a matter of "upgrades" on the safety cell and tweeks on the aerokit(body shell) each 2 or 3 years - IF the costumer wants.

no? why this doesnt seem a bad idea in my mind? what am i missing here?

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Colin Clark on WRC future..(greek subs because interviewed on greek channel).
    https://youtu.be/ODhkwlgmjL4?si=_SXM2oBtNGe2h0LQ

Quote Originally Posted by saco0o View Post
    if we could get (somebody like) msport and prodrive to share the building of a simple engine (NOT hybrid, because the focus is on the privateers and smaller teams) / space frame spec car that doenst look like any specific road car (i mean, cmoon, is not like we have that many different shapes anymore on our roads) and sell it for a controled cheap price... isnt that cheaper in the end? rallycross is going for spec tube frame cars all over the place (extreme-e, titans, rx lites, rx2e, evo, fc1x). in these examples, its way cheaper to get new parts too, since its all coming from 'one' place.
    if skoda, subaru, toyota, chinese brands, peugeot wants to participate, then they just gotta produce the front bumpers with their road-based design (headlights and front grill). i THINK im shifting to this view tbh. you can keep this rule for 10 years because its just a matter of "upgrades" on the safety cell and tweeks on the aerokit(body shell) each 2 or 3 years - IF the costumer wants.

no? why this doesnt seem a bad idea in my mind? what am i missing here?
    Sounds like you want to increase the cost of banger racing to me.

Let Rallycross/off-road racers do what they want. They don't have to be road legal, they drive in a circle of about 200m and there's nothing for manufacturers to get behind. Unless they want to race actual production road cars there's no need for them to pretend to be driving one.

Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    And asking potential builders/manufacturers isn't a bad idea at all.
    I agree it is a good idea. But pretending that the FIA with its manufacturers commission, and the Promoter with its survival hanging on the need for manufacturers, aren't speaking to them is a tad naïve/ignorant.

Liked 303 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    I agree it is a good idea. But pretending that the FIA with its manufacturers commission, and the Promoter with its survival hanging on the need for manufacturers, aren't speaking to them is a tad naïve/ignorant.
    What does make you sure, they are doing that? Their actions in recent times do quite the opposite. The guy in the video is right about them being nowhere. Again if action would speak, we would not be having this conversation right now. And where we are right now. Nowhere. It's completely blank.. The teams should start doing the 2027 project yesterday and probably will be next year somewhere around this date if they will go on like that.

Liked 455 Times in 245 Posts
    Spaceframe may be a good idea if put under strict price cap and combined with road derived ICE (again price capped). Use power to weight for BoP and go from there.

12. Likes: saco0o (10th September 2024)