Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Liked 677 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    Of course, we all knew they all would start crying...
    Fact.

It's a matter of time when they will start taking u-turn on SUVs too.
    Not happening in the foreseeable future.

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
    Of course, we all knew they all would start crying... It's a matter of time when they will start taking u-turn on SUVs too.
    in brasil the stock car championship said they were going to use SUVs starting next year. that got mitsubishi interested. they are joining chevy and toyota, which is good for them. but i saw the chevy SUV for the championship
    i still dont think this is a SUV haha this is what i THINK english speakers would call it a "Wagon"?
    https://motorsport.uol.com.br/stockc...2025/10638375/
    and weirdly v8sc said this is probably the idea for them too in the next cycle

when nascar showed their electric prototype, it was on a thing that i cannot call it "SUV", its a wagon in my eyes too
    https://www.nascar.com/gallery/a-clo...ctric-vehicle/

idk when I think of "SUVs" in racing i imagine this is the closest thing, and it doesnt bother me thaaat much
    https://ml25zovx7n56.i.optimole.com/..._23-scaled.jpg

Liked 9,549 Times in 5,100 Posts
    Using a hot-hatchback the basis for a WRC rally car sadly has to end as they are a dying breed.The 'crossover' has to be the best we can hope for as the SUVs are just too tall for nimble handling.

Liked 1,571 Times in 903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Using a hot-hatchback the basis for a WRC rally car sadly has to end as they are a dying breed.The 'crossover' has to be the best we can hope for as the SUVs are just too tall for nimble handling.
    Guessing reffering back to C-Segment class isn't the way forward is it? Since they're slowly but surely killing those off too sadly.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 303 Times in 188 Posts
    That's why spaceframe is for, right? To build whatever they want. I mean, are there actually regulations where they dictate that cars need to be B-Segment or whatever? And if it's open, why the hell do all brands use this as platform? Historically no matter the shape of a vehicle, it can be fast no matter size, or suspension travel (like they don't lift them up like some sort of SUVs for gravel events).

Liked 9,549 Times in 5,100 Posts
    Yes suspension of current cars are jacked up for rough gravel events, but their body and roofline is still quite low, helping the centre of gravity. The whole USP of the suv is a high driving position so taller body. But the Sports part of SUV is a complete misnomer.

And the problem with using a spaceframe is it hasn't attracted any new Manufacturers to Rally1.

Liked 437 Times in 237 Posts
    That's why spaceframe is for, right? To build whatever they want. I mean, are there actually regulations where they dictate that cars need to be B-Segment or whatever? And if it's open, why the hell do all brands use this as platform? Historically no matter the shape of a vehicle, it can be fast no matter size, or suspension travel (like they don't lift them up like some sort of SUVs for gravel events).
    No the B segment isn't dictated by the regulations but by physics.

Historically the size of the car was always important, every "big" car that has won a lot has a clear explanation attached to it, be it an innovation, shortcomings of the more compact cars of rivals or a pure lack of competition that used more suitable sized cars.

Also keep in mind that even the "big" cars like first gen Imprezas and early Evos were just around 4,4m. A properly big car hasn't been successful consistently in normal rallying ever since the sport was fully focused on special stages.

Liked 303 Times in 188 Posts
    So that's why Suzuki and Mini failed, right? And what about that Puma right now? If a private team could do it, why Hyundai is hesitating and others?

I keep wondering if there is any right formula to suit most if not all brands, who could sell their name in the series in these times. I'm not worried at all if the cars would be slower, just want it would be more interests, because still think it is the right place to show a new tech, and brand and have a better challenge than track racing. Is it more engines, segments, powertrains, events (I mean the right ones - those who are crucial to their marketing aspect), and more talented drivers, so they could have at least one title contender (right now if you put every top guy in one team, we could have at least 6 teams, counting Ogier also, because he isn't losing his mojo at all, few years back, there was maybe one or two realistically for the title).

Should the formula be to go back completely like stock cars, not so much aero, similar to Gr.A...

I think that right now even the manufacturers don't know what their future is, many of them are confused about going all EV and not going EV, or is it too soon... And waiting for FIA, what they even want to have isn't helping. Really don't know why they take it so long to decide what the future and long-term will be. And realistically even if they decide the next cycle of rules, who of new brands could enter in such a short time and be ready? So FIA will screw everything if not published in a short time.

What I'm really impressed is how that the event organizers (countries) have so much interest for hosting a round in a calendar with so little interest from all other aspects.

9. Likes: saco0o (9th September 2024)
    Liked 437 Times in 237 Posts
    So that's why Suzuki and Mini failed, right? And what about that Puma right now?
    Just having the right concept doesn't make your car a winner automatically.

Just look at the first gen Mazda 323 4WD. All the right ingredients, the first modern Group A car, only the Delta was comparable in concept whereas all the others lacked this or that and brought compromised cars to the party in 1986. Yet one of the two dominated the era, the other won a single event with a serious entry list.

Also the Puma is roughly the same size (and wheelbase) as the other two.

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
    i KNOW most of racing fans HATE electric cars and SUVs - and combining both its just a nightmare - but thinking about all the politicial BS that exist behind motorsports, do you think "SOMETHING LIKE THIS" (not THIS CAR) is the eventual future for WRC? i would like to hear your thoughts on that - but please, if you are only going to say that you hate evs and this is a joke, just... move on. haha give me some usefull thoughts on how "something like this" could be wrc's eventual future OR NOT, based on all the "after 2030" greenwashing, with countries choosing carefully what they are going to financially support when it comes to events, for example, or stuff like "what manufacturers want to look like in motorsport after 2030".
    some deep thoughts please! haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQalDigk2-c

interesting to hear Tanner saying stuff like "we are in a weird era of motorsport because its cheaper for manufacturers to 'make content' instead of race on a track"
    craaaaazy, tho its true. never thought of that in that way, jezzz
    Last edited by saco0o; 9th September 2024 at 21:31.