Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 190 Times in 154 Posts

2024 - Race 16 Italy

Well, well...it looks like RB went on autopilot too soon.

It's hard to see RB winning the constructor championship because of Perez's driving. McLaren may have thrown away too many points to beat Verstappen, but it is GAME ON.

It should be a great race!

Liked 716 Times in 502 Posts
    It's great that the teams have tightened up so much at the front. I'd agree with the WDC and WCC... one is in fairly easy reach, the other might be a hurdle for Lando even if form keeps up.

As for Italy, word is that many of the drivers don't like the changes in the curbs much, but I guess they will live with it. The safety car has already had a fairly hard off, strange looking so I wonder what went wrong.

Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
    It would be interesting to see the response from Max and Red Bull after Lando's dominance at Zandvoort where his McLaren was literally flying. Also, will we see another podium finish by Ferrari this Sunday who came into the Italian GP with 9 updates to their car.

Kimi been set on his second flying lap. Not the best way to start a Formula 1 career probably.

ETA: Never trust voice to text. "bins it"

But no surprise that he was announced as official as Monza.
    Last edited by airshifter; 1st September 2024 at 23:50.

Big opportunity for McLaren tomorrow. They can take the constructor lead and put a dent into Verstapen lead.

I heard a rumor at work that Perez is out after Mexico.

With RB including Max struggling at Monza, it's exactly what Lando needs to have any real chance of bagging a WDC this year. But it will take solid and consistent driving to give him these opportunities, but for right now at least it looks like McLaren have the car to do it.

As for Perez, I've quit trying to make sense of what RB are thinking. Granted he is only one position behind Max for this race, but he has cost the team a lot of points over the season, and it was clear that the other teams have been catching up with RB.... even now probably stronger overall.

There might still be a good race to watch though. It seemed that through the qually sessions even the small temp changes, along with tire differences, really made me wonder who might be the ones fighting for pole. Though I'm not surprised to see RB down some, it was obvious the others in the top 3 all had good pace at various stages. As for RB, unless they are expecting something we can't see, I don't see them making up places...at least not quickly. Max is almost a half second down vs Lewis just one position higher. From Lewis up the field is fairly tight.

Liked 1,148 Times in 636 Posts
    What a race. I think there are too many people who can win a race to cost Max the title. The constructors may not be won by Red Bull, though.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

McLaren is struggling with strategy. They have lost a lot of points on the table this year.

Fantastic move by Oscar early on. Lando never really even saw it coming I don't think.

Overall an interesting race. McLaren had more pace but by the time Charles and Ferrari realized that a one stop could happen, the McLarens didn't have enough tire left to pull it off. With Merc and RB down on pace it was less a roll of the dice, but Oscar didn't think he could pull it off in the papaya car. Though they had the option, it looked like making the single stopper work after the early pace would have been really tricky.

Considering how tight the top cars were in qually, Lewis and George did well to qualify where they did. On race pace the car wasn't as there, but it was still enough to keep the Red Bulls behind. George's mistake at the first corner cost him but at best they were probably going to finish 5th-6th anyway.

A big opportunity just slipped away from Lando. But in all fairness, I really enjoy that Zak is letting them race without team orders, and Lando was complimentary of Oscar's move as well. They still did well in team points, and Ferrari is now closing up on the Bulls as well.

And for Charles, it would be hard to find a better finish to his day. The top step at Monza in a Ferrari is hard to beat. He played his hand well and came out on top. Well done, and well deserved.

10. Likes: pino (2nd September 2024),Tazio (2nd September 2024)
    Liked 799 Times in 661 Posts
    PIASTRI !!!

What a ballsy overtake to take the lead on the first lap. What a racer! Unfortunately, McLaren does not have a championship quality strategist. They gave the win away so easily to Ferrari. That was a dear mistake.
    The Norris first-lap weakness shows up again and he pays dearly by a two-place drop.

He still has a chance but l am not seeing anything that tells me why he deserves to win the driver's championship. Piastri is catching Norris in the point by just as much as Norris is closing on Verstappen. At this rate, none of the McLaren drivers is going to win the driver's championship. Piastri is unintentionally helping out a flagging Verstappen.

Newey leaves and Redbull instantly goes to pot.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare