Liked 799 Times in 661 Posts

Williams dumps Logan

One crash too many sees Logan run out of luck as Vowles finally loses patience. I personally think Vowles showed inexperience by hanging on to Logan as long as they did. In any other team on the grid, he would have been dumped at the end of last season.
    The quest for an American driver good enough to emulate the great Andretti in F1 continues.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 479 Times in 372 Posts
    He was clearly not good enough for F1. I'm unsure exactly how many times he crashed this year or how many red flags he caused but it was a lot.

I'm a firm believer that the FIA needs to be able to intervene in situations like this and force the team to drop a driver if it's clear they aren't good enough. In the case of Logan this has been very clear for quite some time. A minimal driving standard must be applied i.e. you crash more than 3 times in 10 races your license is revoked. There's been many drivers in F1 like Logan over the years and they are a danger to themselves and other drivers.

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    He was clearly not good enough for F1. I'm unsure exactly how many times he crashed this year or how many red flags he caused but it was a lot.

I'm a firm believer that the FIA needs to be able to intervene in situations like this and force the team to drop a driver if it's clear they aren't good enough. In the case of Logan this has been very clear for quite some time. A minimal driving standard must be applied i.e. you crash more than 3 times in 10 races your license is revoked. There's been many drivers in F1 like Logan over the years and they are a danger to themselves and other drivers.
    Using that criteria, a couple of the drivers now on the grid wouldn't be there. Including his team mate Albon. I get your point though. It's that way in a lot of series, not just F1. Where the size of your check book is as important as your talent.
    Last edited by Used to be Starter; 28th August 2024 at 11:55.

4. Likes: airshifter (28th August 2024)
    Liked 716 Times in 502 Posts
    Completely agree with Starter, when it comes to on track collisions, many of the greatest names in F1 have caused their fair share of problems. Had the points system currently in place existed earlier, it would make apparent how many of the new drivers, talented or not, tend to destroy some cars including those around them. More than a few in recent years have had points due to causing collisions on track, and if the "best" in the field do it then we know the newer drivers are going to do it as well.

For the most part, I think the current points system will weed out the worst of the worst. Every series has divers that cause accidents of have them. Even at much lower levels in motorsport people have to learn to deal with those that tend to screw it up more often.

As for the search for US talent, really until they correct the disparities in the super license points system they won't be finding drivers any time soon. The distinct bias against Indycar points has probably robbed F1 of a lot of potential drivers that are just as good or better than their F2 conterparts that end up with drives. Until the FIA drops the euro centric attitude, they just aren't going to find many US drivers. As it is now, many of the Indycar drivers that stick around and get the required super license points aren't going to roll the dice on a "maybe" in a dog eat dog world of F1, when they likely already have more stability in Indycar, even if it pays less on average.

Case in point is Logans replacement, Franco Colapinto. Though Williams probably didn't have a lot of options, he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire. And I think it's fair to say that there are current Indycar drivers lacking 40 super points that could easily compete with him. And there are former F1 drivers in Indycar who would have not been even close to enough points earned in Indycar to get a super license.... give that some thought.

Liked 1,148 Times in 636 Posts
    Well, let's hope the kid eventually impresses, as I don't see him getting close to Albon in his first ever race.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."