Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 715 Times in 501 Posts
    The cracks are showing in all the teams fighting at the top right now.

Merc screwed up with short fueling George so he couldn't complete more laps as the track dried up.

RB left Max out when they could have easily covered Lewis and instead decided to have him make up time after being undercut twice.

McLaren made a crap show out of being overly cautious, and the way they went about it was embarrassing to say the least.

Overall still an interesting race. Oscar made his mark on Lando quickly and never looked back until they gave Lando the undercut. Once RB screwed Max up Lewis frustrated him enough that he pushed the issue when he probably didn't have to. He had time on his side and got frustrated, and it hurt him in the end. As for the defending.... it's Hungary. Lewis defended and that's all he had to do. Though Lewis did seem to move a bit when the contact happened, Max was cooking in way too hot and washed towards Lewis some as well. I think they were right in racing incident, as the final contact what somewhat on both of them. Max was already in too hot, Lewis could have moved to avoid him but didn't, and Max paid the price. Similar to Austria really, except that it would have been much easier for Lando to avoid contact, and Lewis this time had the disadvantage of not being able to clearly see Max's exact trajectory as he steamed up the inside.

As for McLaren... just make the decision and go with it. There was really nothing wrong with playing it safe and pitting Lando first, but the groveling and begging on the radio was just insane. Being they screwed Oscar with the strategy, they should have just ordered them to reverse position within a lap or two. If Lando ignored the first call, the second call should have been from Stella. Then let them battle to the end if Lando was actually quicker.... simple. I actually think it's comical that both Lando and Stella tried to act as if it was never a question at all, when we all heard the radio exchanges. Team orders are legal, make the order and make it clear to the driver they will face consequences if they don't follow it.

Ferrari picked up the scraps they could, but are obviously not as quick as the top 3 teams right now. Both George and Perez did well to come though the pack, and Yuki and Lance had decent races to fill up the top 10.

It's a shame that McLaren played that they way they did. I think Oscar had Lando's number had they not played the strategy so wildly, and it will now give some people doubt. For me, I think it was Oscar's race and they just swapped them back to what would have been. Still it sucks to have such a controversial mess attached to a first full length win, but hopefully Oscar doesn't mind much. With both Merc and McLaren having strong driver pairings, it makes me wonder if they just tolerated Perez at Red Bull to allow someone else to take the WCC so they can get some more CFD and wind tunnel time for the last season of the current regs. With the cars converging at the front finally it might make sense to just accept that the WDC alone can bring them money, and most likely Max can do it alone.

2. Likes: Bagwan (22nd July 2024),N. Jones (22nd July 2024),Tazio (22nd July 2024)
    Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
    That was a glory day for McLaren in terms of the result but the pitting strategy was horrible, they could've risked a certain one-two finish if Hamilton was a genuine threat in this race.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Two situations to comment on here .

It was a dive by Max , but as I read that Lewis said he saw him coming from way back , I can't see any way to assign Max any blame on this one .
    It was pretty clear to see Max was ahead at that point , and the stewards mentioned that Lewis could have done more to avoid contact . That's a rather large understatement , given he said he saw him , and remained on the same trajectory , instead of waiting for him to slide through , to take the position .
    Lewis actually moved in early from the racing line as well , as was shown on Sky with Ant on the sky pad screen thingy , which I initially thought was a clever move by Lewis , to put Max on the Marbles , but then he placed his right front in front of Max's left rear .
    That was dumb and dangerous .

So , this should have been a shake of the head miss for Max , and a pass for Lewis , but I believe it should have been a penalty for Lewis this time .
    The contact was the result of the lock up. There was a little room there if Max had kept it under control, but when you lock up you are a rider and not a driver. I think Max was just frustrated from being held back as long as he was.

Liked 799 Times in 592 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    The contact was the result of the lock up. There was a little room there if Max had kept it under control, but when you lock up you are a rider and not a driver. I think Max was just frustrated from being held back as long as he was.
    Max was a passenger at the point that Lewis drove into the path of his rear wheel .
    All he had to do was avoid the overlap and watch him slide by .

The slide was Max's fault , but the contact was down to Lewis .

Liked 799 Times in 592 Posts
    As for how poorly the Honey Badger did , I've read that they pitted him at the same time as all the others on softs when he was on mediums , so they destroyed any advantage he had on them .
    They kept Yuki out at the same time , so it wasn't a happy Danny at the end of the race .

Liked 799 Times in 661 Posts
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FgD6yQeyrV11aVAJ9

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Ha ha
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCarCollector View Post
    And then unfairly made Lando give up the win, after he qualified better and built up a 5.5 second lead over Piastri.
    Read this article https://medium.com/motor-racing/hung...4-999fafa2f0f3
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    There is usually more than one perspective of any incident in F1. Mostly depending on the support or dislike of one of the drivers involved. But let us try to take a fair objective view of what happened.

1. Verstappen breaks too late to make it around the corner, mainly because Hamilton breaks very late too. Breaking later than Hamilton was the only way for Verstappen to overtake Hamilton.
    2. If you watch the clip of the incident, you will see that Hamilton left plenty of room on the inside for Verstappen to make an overtake if he had the car under control. He took a wider line in preparation to retake the position if Verstappen were to be able to complete a successful overtake
    3. Hamilton had to turn in to go around the corner
    4. Just like in Austria, Verstappen was carrying too much speed entering the apex to be able to turn in. His attempt to drastically reduce speed led to locking both front wheels.
    5. Once the front tires were locked, the only direction Verstappen could go was straight on. He was a passenger from that point on.
    6. Hamilton turns into the corner expecting Verstappen to turn into the corner also
    7. The collision occurred because Verstappen was unable to turn into the corner and went straight across the front of Hamilton's car. For the second time, a Redbull goes flying airborne around a Mercedes.
    8. Verstappen appears to be ahead because he was not slowing down to turn into the corner relative to Hamilton who had successfully slowed the Mercedes to be able to execute a controlled turn into the corner

Hence, l agree with you completely

Some would say Hamilton could have done more to prevent the collision. I don't think that is the case. The collision was inevitable even if Hamiton had not turned in. The only real way to avoid damage was for Hamilton to join Verstappen off-track which only helps Verstappen to take the position from the resulting avoidance. As he did with Norris in Austria.

Without the speed of the Redbull, we get to see the true level of racecraft Verstappen is lacking in wheel-to-wheel combat. He is fast but not up there with the best racers of this generation when it comes to wheel-to-wheel intelligence and racecraft. The likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Sainz, Perez and Ricciardo comes to mind.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd July 2024 at 17:08.
    William Shakespeare

11. Likes: Tazio (23rd July 2024)
    Liked 479 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    There is usually more than one perspective of any incident in F1. Mostly depending on the support or dislike of one of the drivers involved. But let us try to take a fair objective view of what happened.

1. Verstappen breaks too late to make it around the corner, mainly because Hamilton breaks very late too. Breaking later than Hamilton was the only way for Verstappen to overtake Hamilton.
    2. If you watch the clip of the incident, you will see that Hamilton left plenty of room on the inside for Verstappen to make an overtake if he had the car under control. He took a wider line in preparation to retake the position if Verstappen were to be able to complete a successful overtake
    3. Hamilton had to turn in to go around the corner
    4. Just like in Austria, Verstappen was carrying too much speed entering the apex to be able to turn in. His attempt to drastically reduce speed led to locking both front wheels.
    5. Once the front tires were locked, the only direction Verstappen could go was straight on. He was a passenger from that point on.
    6. Hamilton turns into the corner expecting Verstappen to turn into the corner also
    7. The collision occurred because Verstappen was unable to turn into the corner and went straight across the front of Hamilton's car. For the second time, a Redbull goes flying airborne around a Mercedes.
    8. Verstappen appears to be ahead because he was not slowing down to turn into the corner relative to Hamilton who had successfully slowed the Mercedes to be able to execute a controlled turn into the corner

Hence, l agree with you completely

Some would say Hamilton could have done more to prevent the collision. I don't think that is the case. The collision was inevitable even if Hamiton had not turned in. The only real way to avoid damage was for Hamilton to join Verstappen off-track which only helps Verstappen to take the position from the resulting avoidance. As he did with Norris in Austria.

Without the speed of the Redbull, we get to see the true level of racecraft Verstappen is lacking in wheel-to-wheel combat. He is fast but not up there with the best racers of this generation when it comes to wheel-to-wheel intelligence and racecraft. The likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Sainz, Perez and Ricciardo comes to mind.
    This is the way I see it as well. You look back to Imola, Spain 2021 where Hamilton backed out, was forced off track and let Verstappen by. He simply isn't doing this anymore. Ultimately this is what caused their comings together in Silverstone and Monza that year as well. This is what caught Verstappen in Hungary. Verstappen seems to think it's okay to simply drive others off the track once he makes the corner and gains a position. This isn't the case and others aren't willing to be bullied by him anymore. Verstappen, much like Vettel in his Red Bull days, has all the signs of a driver that never receives consequences for his actions and is overrated. I still firmly believe that, like Vettel, he'll be found out some day. The cracks are beginning to show already when he's under a tiny bit of pressure, he just can't handle it because he has been so pampered and gifted titles by the sports governing body.

I do agree with the Stewards that Hamilton could have avoided the crash, I just don't see why he should have avoided it. This sort of stuff needs to keep happening until Max either loses a title over it or his brain comprehends that this is not how you go racing but, right now, he has more to lose than anyone else.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 23rd July 2024 at 08:17.