Page 528 of 530 FirstFirst ... 28428478518526527528529530 LastLast
Results 5,271 to 5,280 of 5292
    Liked 852 Times in 451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    For sure he is good in Latvia and similar countries. But what has he proven on tarmac for example? Or even other types of gravel rallies? Just a genuine question, maybe I missed something, didn't follow him closely before.
    Not taking anything away from him but he was totally lost in Estonia, where roads are not flat.

2. Likes: Morte66 (19th July 2024)
    Liked 674 Times in 369 Posts
    Sesks was not at the sharp end in Canaries. Altitude, attitude, tarmac, very technical... all the things Latvia isn't. I think he knows it.

4. Likes: Morte66 (19th July 2024)
    Liked 831 Times in 397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Sesks'es performance makes me wonder how many other drivers there are out there who could challenge the big names but just never get the chance.
    Looking at his rc2 results he doesn't look really look like a future champion, but he seems to have mastered the rc1 immediately.
    Thats my biggest point against these cars, the lack of youngsters and local heros in rallies.
    No, they can't win WDC, but they can spice up theire local rallies in a way we miss.
    Much more exitment and good stories than the usual 8 drivers brings out.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

Liked 9,544 Times in 5,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauri_J View Post
    Not taking anything away from him but he was totally lost in Estonia, where roads are not flat.
    He joked at first about not having the Rally1 downforce he had in the Puma, but there were real reasons too.

Firstly the Yaris having continual issues with the pop-off valve losing him power. Second getting hit by heavy rain when some others weren't. And thirdly a puncture & wheel change.

7. Likes: Typ85 (22nd July 2024)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    He uses MRF tires in the ERC, the extent of impact is uncertain, yet it could potentially play a role.

Liked 1,164 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skarderud View Post
    Thats my biggest point against these cars, the lack of youngsters and local heros in rallies.
    No, they can't win WDC, but they can spice up theire local rallies in a way we miss.
    Much more exitment and good stories than the usual 8 drivers brings out.
    a lot of people claimed that the times were changed, that youngsters and one-off local drivers could never challenge the regulars. They have all been proven wrong by sesks now.

Maybe a lot more local people should get a chance. imagine if hyundai had hired sesks her instead of lappi.

10. Likes: skarderud (19th July 2024)
    Liked 213 Times in 125 Posts
    It is surely worth remembering that he had perfect road position today, on a day that was all about road position, on his home rally, with stages that suit him.

I don't think Rovanpera, Ogier, Neuville, Tanak, Evans or Formaux would have anything to fear over a full season. Katsuta, perhaps.

He's better than Munster. If Serderidis is feeling flush...

Liked 9,544 Times in 5,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morte66 View Post
    It is surely worth remembering that he had perfect road position today, on a day that was all about road position, on his home rally, with stages that suit him.

I don't think Rovanpera, Ogier, Neuville, Tanak, Evans or Formaux would have anything to fear over a full season. Katsuta, perhaps.

He's better than Munster. If Serderidis is feeling flush...
    Ok so some things were in his favour.

But remember this is only his 2nd event in a Rally1 car... and the first with the hybrid extra 130PS to learn how to use. Some of these guys have been driving these cars for 2.5 years !

13. Likes: Morte66 (20th July 2024)
    Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
    There are stories, that some time ago, around 2008-2009, in the first years of Pirelli Star Drive Mr. Vattanen had been sayind - they would be looking for pure and natural speed. Worth to note that in that year they chose Mr.Tanak.... What I want to say is that you can not learn the speed, but you can learn consistency and different surfaces. Martins definitely has the speed, plus seems that Puma simply suits him, what we can not say about Yaris R2. Last year he was super fast with Skoda, suddenly got slower with Yaris, but somehow miraculously got fast with Puma R1 again? What we should not do - overreact. With his drive, he has earned 1 or few rounds outside his natural habitat, e.g. some slow gravel rallies at first, i.e., i hope his sponsors will find the way how to put together part time season, some 4-5 events. We all know what has happened with Suninen, Solberg, Loubet and similar when they were given full seasons too early. Even Fourmaux is in the same boat - only with the second attempt. He got another chance after failing, but how many do not get that? So, lets be careful with what would like to see and just simply appreciate what Martins is doing now. I would be very surprised if he would be able to keep Ogier behind for another day.

15. Likes: Augury (20th July 2024),Morte66 (20th July 2024)
    Liked 213 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    and the first with the hybrid extra 130PS to learn how to use. Some of these guys have been driving these cars for 2.5 years !
    Yes, I'll certainly give you that. The way he seems as happy in the hybrid as the non-hybrid is noteworthy.