Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Perez: ‘It was a total disaster… a nightmare of a race’.
    Sergio Perez started on the back row at Silverstone and finished in 17th place. Afterwards he revealed he’s glad there’s no race next weekend as he seeks to regroup.
    7 July 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘Seeks to regroup’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/pe...37877627627920

Perez makes 'no luck' judgment as Red Bull 'gamble' fails
    Sergio Perez endured his third point-less result in the last six races in the British Grand Prix.
    7 July 2024
    Nick Golding & Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Sergio Perez has conceded that he had "no luck" at all in the British Grand Prix, as Red Bull's early intermediate tyre "gamble" failed. During an early shower, Red Bull opted to pit Perez as the rain started to fall, a call Ferrari also made with Charles Leclerc on lap 20. However, this spell of rain was not heavy enough to wet the circuit, causing the intermediates to degrade in rapid fashion.

It resulted in Perez's intermediates being destroyed when the rain suddenly intensified several laps later, which resulted in the Mexican driver being lapped by the leaders, including, team-mate Max Verstappen. Similarly to Leclerc, gambling early on the intermediates completely ruined Perez's race, resulting in a miserable P17 finish.

"For seven laps, completely [destroyed] the intermediate and then when the rain came, there was no tyre left," Perez told select media including RacingNews365. "It was just a mess overall. Then we boxed again, we were in the middle of the leaders. Very difficult to make any progress and just not an easy afternoon."

‘Similarly to Leclerc, gambling early on the intermediates completely ruined Perez's race’;

https://racingnews365.com/perez-make...l-gamble-fails

Perez expects to gain “a couple of tenths” from new floor Verstappen had at Silverstone
    9th July 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Sergio Perez, who has faced criticism over his performance in recent races, expects a performance boost at the next round when he receives the same floor upgrade his team mate had at Silverstone. Max Verstappen ran the only example of Red Bull’s new floor for its RB20 at Silverstone. However team principal Christian Horner said the revised part was only a “minimal upgrade” for the car.

Perez failed to score for the third time in five races last weekend after being eliminated in the first round of qualifying when he spun into a gravel trap at Copse. Afterwards Perez said he expects to be in a stronger position at the next round. “I’m just trying to find the solutions, really,” he said in response to a question from RaceFans. “I think we’re making good progress.”

“A couple of tenths”;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/09/...t-silverstone/

Christian Horner clarifies his Sergio Perez head shake seen around the world
    9 Jul 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Christian Horner has downplayed his shake of the head when Sergio Perez beached his RB20 in qualifying, saying that wasn’t so much about the Mexican driver as his frustration that Red Bull “aren’t performing”. Perez brought out the red flags in Q1 for the British Grand Prix when he lost control of his car at Copse in greasy conditions and spun into the gravel.

Caught on camera shaking his head after Perez beached his car on Saturday, Horner says that wasn’t so much about Perez as Red Bull’s struggles to perform “collectively” in qualifying. “Of course, it is frustration when both of your cars aren’t performing you know collectively,” he told the media at Silverstone, including PlanetF1.com.

“It was frustrating to lose Checo in Q1. He missed P1 because of Isack Hadjar driving, he had a decent P2. We felt that he should have been around the top six and then to lose the car in Q1 was very frustrating. That’s where we’re at.”

‘Christian Horner has downplayed his shake of the head’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/christ...een-british-gp

Perez hints revised Red Bull floor will help overcome F1 woes
    9 Jul 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Sergio Perez has vowed that receiving Red Bull’s new floor design at the next race can be the breakthrough moment that helps overturn his ongoing Formula 1 slump. Perez endured a tumultuous weekend at Silverstone as a spin into the gravel at Copse and a premature move to Intermediates cost him a chance at recording points.

“I’m just trying to find the solutions, really,” Perez said post-race. “I think we’re making good progress. We are just about to unlock a couple of tenths from our side and our life will be very different, back to where we were in the start of the year.”

Max Verstappen used the sole iteration that Red Bull introduced and boss Christian Horner, who described it as “minimal”, confirmed that a second was not available. “There was only one floor available on one side of the garage this weekend,” he revealed.

‘New floor design at the next race can be the breakthrough moment’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...rcome-f1-woes/

Martin Brundle shares how Sergio Perez ‘weirdly’ helped Max Verstappen at Silverstone
    10 July 2024
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

It was another mixed weekend for Red Bull Racing at Silverstone as once again only one of their drivers managed to score points. Max Verstappen needed to put in an impressive performance to return to the podium after his controversial end to the previous race in Austria.

Brundle has now suggested that despite Perez’s awful run at Silverstone, he ‘weirdly’ gave Verstappen an advantage over his rivals at the front of the grid. Not only was he giving his teammate valuable data when it came to the intermediate tyres, but was also out of the way when the timing of each driver’s pit stop was crucial as the conditions of the track changed rapidly.

“So, that gave them the freedom to really pick and choose their pit stop moments with Max [Verstappen] because they didn’t have to consider double stacking like McLaren and Mercedes-Benz did in terms of bringing both cars in at the same time.” The experience of both the driver and his team made all the difference with Oscar Piastri told he has lessons to learn after coming in a lap too late and ruining his chances of a first Formula 1 victory as a result.

‘Giving his teammate valuable data when it came to the intermediate tyres’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/mar...t-silverstone/

Chinese driver Zhou Guanyu competes during F1 British GP.
    Kick Sauber's Chinese driver Zhou Guanyu competes during the Formula 1 British Grand Prix race at the Silverstone Circuit, Britain, July 7, 2024.
    08:16 Mon, 08 Jul 2024
    People's Daily

‘Zhou Guanyu competes during the Formula 1 British Grand Prix’;

http://en.people.cn/n3/2024/0708/c90000-20191111.html

Horror crash at British Grand Prix silenced Silverstone but Zhou Guanyu still loves it
    10:15, 7 Jul 2024
    Anton Stanley,
    talkSPORT.com

Zhou Guanyu doesn't know how he survived the the 2022 British Grand Prix - but despite it all he still loves Silverstone. The Stake F1 Team KICK Sauber driver failed to make it out of turn one when a horrific high-speed multi-car crash swept up his vehicle.

Zhou's car flipped over and skidded on the halo before it reached the gravel, causing it to roll repeatedly and thunder into the fencing and drop behind the barriers. “I’m so grateful with the safety improvements. What really saved me was the halo,” Zhou told talkSPORT two years on.

Without it, the incident would have been an unthinkable amount worse. And yet, despite the traumatic incident Zhou has nothing but love for the track he returns to this weekend.

‘Horror crash at British Grand Prix silenced Silverstone’;

https://talksport.com/sport/1951030/...eorge-russell/

Exclusive: Zhou Guanyu opens up on Sauber F1 journey
    15 Jul 2024
    Dan Lawrence
    Motorsport Week

Sauber’s Zhou Guanyu made history by becoming China’s first Formula 1 driver upon debuting at the 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix. Now in his third season, Zhou has a fight on his hands to retain his place in F1 amid his toughest campaign to date thanks to an uncompetitive Sauber machine.

“My ultimate dream was to be in F1,” said Zhou. “The second dream was to race at home and finally to complete that I’ve just been really grateful. Racing at a home race means everything to me because it’s the race that made me have this F1 dream that I wanted to chase for and I was there for the first Grand Prix. 20 years later you’re there as a driver and I don’t think there’s any better story than that. So from my side, I’m just really honoured to be representing a whole country.”

“You see the crowd, it had never been like that in Shanghai or any other places you know it’s the warm welcome, the reception, the cheer I received the whole weekend it’s just incredible I’ve never felt something like that.”

‘Zhou Guanyu opens up’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...er-f1-journey/

Zhou Guanyu running out of options for 2025
    July 15, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

An underwhelming season for Sauber and Zhou Guanyu: The first race of the season was a promising one for Zhou. He finished in 11th place, the unofficial ‘best of the rest’ behind the top 5 teams. In a race without retirements from the top five teams, the Chinese driver showed good pace. Sauber also seemed competitive enough to compete at the front of the midfield.

Unfortunately for Zhou, the situation changed quickly. Not only did persistent pit-stop issues emerge for the team, but the C44 lost pace compared to its rivals.
    After a solid enough weekend in China and Japan, Sauber slowly lost ground to Haas, VCARB and even Alpine.

On the radar at Haas and Alpine, but not a leading contender. The 25-year-old has been linked to a few teams in recent months. Haas and Alpine are two outfits that are understood to have the Sauber driver on their radar. With that said, Zhou is not at the top of either team’s shortlist. At Alpine, Carlos Sainz and Jack Doohan are seen as front-runners to drive alongside Pierre Gasly.

‘Zhou Guanyu running out of options’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ions-for-2025/

‘All I can say’: Zhou Guanyu admits ‘very good relationship’ with F1 team he could sign for in 2025
    15 July 2024
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Zhou Guanyu is one of a handful of Formula 1 drivers who are in danger of losing their place on the grid next season. Sauber have already signed Nico Hulkenberg making it less likely that Zhou Guanyu or teammate Valtteri Bottas retain their seats for 2025. Unsurprisingly, that means that both drivers are exploring their options with time running out to secure their Formula 1 future. Bottas appears to be the favourite to sign for Williams with Logan Sargeant’s chances of staying on the grid dwindling. Sauber have ended talks with two drivers for 2025 which might give Zhou a glimmer of hope that he could earn a fourth season with the team before they become Audi in 2026.

Zhou Guanyu admits ‘very good relationship’ with Alpine amid 2025 race seat hunt. Asked about his future, Zhou said: “We’re talking to all different teams that have a seat available. “All I can say is that, between myself and Alpine, we kept a very good relationship throughout the whole thing and they helped me develop before I jumped into Formula 1, through the academy and by doing F1 testing – I did my first FP1 with them. They gave me a lot of opportunities.”

Zhou was part of Ferrari’s driver academy in karting before signing for Renault in 2018 ahead of his move into F2. He was Renault’s test driver in 2020 and made his practice debut the following year in Austria. However, his performances over three seasons in Formula 2 earned him his move to Sauber – previously Alfa Romeo – in 2022 and while he’s not stood out during the past two and a half seasons, he’s not had the car underneath him to prove just how quick he is.

‘Zhou Guanyu in danger of losing their place on the grid’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/zho...n-for-in-2025/

Valtteri Bottas relationship 'even better' as Zhou Guanyu discusses battle to save F1 seat
    EXCLUSIVE: Zhou Guanyu and Valtteri Bottas are both searching for F1 lifelines as silly season drags on.
    Jul 7, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Zhou Guanyu believes that his relationship with Stake F1 Team colleague Valtteri Bottas is ‘even better’ than before, despite both drivers needing to fight for one remaining seat at the Hinwil-based outfit.

The Stake duo formed a close relationship during Zhou’s rookie season in 2022 with 10-time Grand Prix winner Bottas taking up the role of mentor. Since then, the pair have remained close allies with on-track squabbles non-existent. This is far from the case in several other teams on the grid. 2024, however, will be their final year as team-mates.

Speaking to Express Sport about the current state of his relationship with Bottas, Zhou said: “No actually. If anything I think we are still working in an even better way, just because the relationship doesn’t change due to where you are fighting for your future or if you’re departing into different places or teams.”

‘Remained close allies with on-track squabbles non-existent’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...u-Guanyu-Stake

Report: Chinese carmaker ‘driving factor’ in Zhou Guanyu’s future with £1bn F1 team
    14 July 2024
    Rory Mitchell
    F1 Oversteer

The future of some drivers on the Formula 1 grid is still undecided and one of those is Chinese star Zhou Guanyu. Although he has yet to pick up any points following a troubled start to the season for Sauber, Zhou enjoyed a lot of attention at his home race in Shanghai earlier in the season.

Chinese carmaker could seal Zhou Guanyu’s move to Alpine: Alpine’s parent company, Renault, recently announced a joint venture agreement with Chinese carmaker Geely to design, produce and develop combustion power trains, hybrid systems, batteries and engines. Zhou has previously been linked to Alpine having come through their young driver academy when he raced in Formula 2.

‘Chinese carmaker could seal Zhou Guanyu’s move’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/chi...h-1bn-f1-team/

2024 British Grand Prix: Heartbreak for pole-sitter Russell as he’s forced to retire from the race.
    Pole-sitter George Russell started the day dreaming of victory at his home race but it was heartbreak for the Mercedes man who was forced to retire his car on Lap 34 with a mechanical problem.
    7 July 2024

‘Heartbreak’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...34803717650975

“Really Disappointing”: Russell Reflects on Crushing Silverstone DNF
    July 8, 2024
    Joe Briley
    The Checkered Flag

George Russell suffered a heartbreaking DNF at his home race, after leading in the opening stages from pole position at Silverstone.

Speaking to F1TV, Russell said: “It’s really disappointing, everything was under control in the beginning in the dry, then very challenging conditions in the damp, I started to lose some power and next thing I had to retire the car, so pretty disappointing.”

“For sure we’ll take the positives, the cars fast and we’ll have more opportunities but to retire from any race is disappointing let alone your home race, especially when we had a shot at least a podium today.”

“Really Disappointing”;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...lverstone-dnf/

Russell talks us through heartbreaking DNF at his home race
    7 July 2024

‘George Russell started the British Grand Prix from pole-position and led the race in the early stages, before he was forced to retire his car on Lap 34’;

‘Talks us through’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ru...34295384870227

George Russell fumes as Mercedes forced to retire car after starting British GP on pole
    George Russell's bad luck at Silverstone continued as the Mercedes star retired from Sunday's race.
    16:06, Sun, Jul 7, 2024
    Joshua Mbu
    Daily and Sunday Express

The 26-year-old found himself outside the top three before his retirement in Lap 34, and he let his frustrations be known, repeatedly swearing. "Probably about 10 laps before I had to retire I saw temperature alarms coming on my steering wheel and yes some sort of water cooling failure, so yeah, I really don't know what to say," Russell said on his DNF.

"I mean the car was feeling so good I knew it was gonna be a long race, struggled a bit around the damp patches. Lewis doing a great job at that moment so fingers crossed he can he can bring it home for us as a team. It's been an amazing weekend regardless of what happens here on in, very difficult out there with the rain coming and going but such a rollercoaster week."

“10 laps before I had to retire I saw temperature alarms”;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...car-british-gp

Russell reveals moment he realised British GP 'was gone'
    George Russell retired from the British Grand Prix mid-race having started on pole position.
    7 July 2024
    Nick Golding & Samuel Coop
    RacingNews365

George Russell has revealed that he realised his British Grand Prix was soon to conclude 10 laps prior to his retirement due to a water system failure. The Briton led the opening stages from pole position but was overtaken by team-mate Lewis Hamilton when rain started to fall on lap 18.

Russell slowed significantly when the first shower hit Silverstone, as he was the first driver to reach the wet parts of the circuit. In the end, losing the lead to Hamilton was irrelevant, as Russell was called into the pits by Mercedes to retire from the race on lap 34 due to the system failure.

"Yeah, it's always difficult when you're first out there," Russell told select media including RacingNews365. "I knew it was going to be a long race and I sort of wanted to be patient. We were still in the fight, but 10 laps before the failure I knew I had a problem because I was losing power, and then had a water failure. No water to the engine."

“Moment he realised British GP 'was gone'”

https://racingnews365.com/russell-re...-race-was-gone

How George Russell knew it was game over long before British GP retirement
    7 Jul 2024
    Elizabeth Blackstock
    PlanetF1.com

It’s currently unclear if Mercedes were able to retire Russell’s W15 before the water system failure caused significant damage to the power unit. According to Russell, both race pace and strategy were impressive until that system failure. Regarding his pole-position start, he said, “It’s always difficult when you’re the first out there. “I knew it was going to be a long race and sort of wanted to be patient.”

Later, touching on the moment when rain began to fall hard enough that both Mercedes drivers left the track momentarily while battling for the lead, he said: “It was difficult, but I wasn’t flustered.” Again, he reiterated that his patience resulted from the fact that “I knew that the race was going to be long.”

Later, Russell and Hamilton engaged in a double-stack pit stop, where both racers swapped to intermediate tires. Russell was in the rear of that stack; when he re-emerged from the pits, Max Verstappen had split the two Mercedes drivers. “As soon as I went back out, I was losing power,” Russell admitted. “I knew from that point the race was gone.”

“As soon as I went back out, I was losing power”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george...nt-explanation

Russell gutted by British GP DNF, but Mercedes ‘clearly back’
    9 Jul 2024
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

George Russell suffered a bitter blow when Mercedes retired his car from the British Grand Prix due to a water leak, but the Briton still rejoiced in the fact that his team is back in the running for race wins in F1.

“I’m absolutely gutted,” Russell admitted, quoted by Motorsport Week. “About 10 laps before I had to retire, I could see temperature alarms on my steering wheel. We had a water system issue we were battling and unfortunately, it won out.”

“I mean it’s incredible,” Russell said. “We had the car in normal driving circumstances to be 1-2. “We’re clearly back and I think we’ll be fighting for race wins more often now. Within myself and the car I’m feeling good but obviously this is a real blow, retiring from any race let alone your home Grand Prix when you had the car to win but we’ll have another go.”

‘Russell gutted by British GP DNF’;

https://f1i.com/news/513656-russell-...arly-back.html

George Russell makes big Mercedes declaration after W15 development boost
    11 Jul 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Despite the major setback of his DNF at Silverstone, George Russell can take solace in his belief that Mercedes “are clearly back”. The “false dawns” as Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has previously put it appear to be over for the team, with the W15 development programme paying off in a major way.

Russell was running P4 and harrying Red Bull’s Drivers’ Championship leader Max Verstappen at the point of his retirement, with Mercedes trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin suggesting there “would have been a shot at” the win for Russell, depending on his ability to pass Verstappen.

‘W15 development boost’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george...s-clearly-back

Mercedes hopes that George Russell can avoid penalty after technical problem at Silverstone
    14 Jul 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Mercedes Chief Trackside Engineer Andrew Shovlin has revealed that the Brackley-based team fears an engine penalty for George Russell following his recent technical woes at last weekend's Silverstone round. “I mean unfortunately we knew that we had an issue relatively early in the race, so we were tracking this from the first stint," Sholvin started his assessment.

"We didn't know that it was going to be terminal, but it's all linked to a leak that was in the water system that was causing the pressure to start to drift, and ultimately when we stopped the car, it was to protect the power unit.”

"So we knew that we were never going to finish the race. What you don't want to do is finish the race and destroy the power unit, then you'll be looking at a penalty possibly later in the year. So it was preventative, but there was no way that we were going to get to the chequered flag.”

“We had an issue relatively early in the race”;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24984

Gasly reveals why he wasn’t able to start the race at Silverstone.
    Pierre Gasly was seen pulling off the track and into the pit lane at the end of the formation lap – and explained afterwards that his Alpine had a gearbox problem.
    7 July 2024
    Formula1.com

‘Pulling off the track and into the pit lane’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ga...34435576335700

Revealed: The simple change to prompt Pierre Gasly performance surge
    13 Jul 2024
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Alpine driver Pierre Gasly revealed he found “a lot more consistency” from his car by swapping to team-mate Esteban Ocon’s differential settings behind the wheel. Gasly acknowledged that the feeling within his A524 is still “not ideal everywhere”, but that moving to Ocon’s differential map after the Miami Grand Prix helped him feel much more balanced within the car.

Alpine brought a new floor in May that brought them closer to the minimum weight limit required by the FIA, while new executive technical director David Sanchez confirmed the team are looking to bring a “fair amount” of upgrades for the remainder of the season. In the meantime, however, Gasly explained there has been improvement on his side with this one change.

“I think there’s definitely been a step,” Gasly told media including PlanetF1.com at Silverstone. “We realised at the start of the year, until Miami, we found out that there was a couple of things which weren’t right on my differential, and I kind of used the other side’s map and then the car felt a lot more together.”

‘Simple change to prompt Pierre Gasly performance surge’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine...t-recent-races

Gasly solved mystery handling problem by using Ocon’s settings
    12th July 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

The Alpine driver said his A524 has handled better since he began using the same differential map settings as Esteban Ocon at the sixth round of the championship. Gasly said the team hadn’t been able to understand some of the problems he reported with his car earlier in the year.

“There were a couple of things that didn’t really make sense with the car balance I was getting,” he said. “So just asked to try the other side’s map and then we straight away found more performance.

“It’s one of these things where it was sort of like a coding problem, which unfortunately couldn’t be spotted. It was more like a software type of issue. Bus cost us sort of performance early on and now we’ve found a lot more consistency and at least we’re aligned on both sides here.”

‘Try the other side’s map’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/12/...cons-settings/

Revealed: How Pierre Gasly received the biggest grid penalty in almost a decade
    7 Jul 2024
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Gasly arrived at Silverstone with his fifth Internal Combustion Engine, Turbo Charger, MGU-H, MGU-K and third Control Electronics all of which exceeded his season’s allocation. As a result, he was given 10 spots for every offending element, handing him a total of 50 and ensuring he would start last before a wheel had even spun.

But Gasly is not the first one in F1 history to have received an enormous penalty. Back in 2015, McLaren were handed a combined total of 105 places for the Belgian Grand Prix due to both Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso receiving new engines. Both drivers had a number of changes to their misfiring Honda engines with Button given 50 places and Alonso 55. The drivers would end the race in 13th and 14th respectively.

‘Biggest grid penalty in almost a decade’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/reveal...lmost-a-decade

Gasly names preferred driver to partner him at Alpine in F1 2025
    6 Jul 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Pierre Gasly has named outgoing Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz as the name he would most like to see come in alongside him at Alpine from the 2025 Formula 1 season. Gasly, who penned a multi-term extension with Alpine, admits Sainz’s status as a three-time race winner makes him the standout candidate to replace Esteban Ocon.

Asked at Silverstone whether he was having an input on who will be his team-mate next season, Gasly responded: “Not really, it’s not up to me. I can obviously see until I’m discussing with Bruno [Famin] and with the whole management on trying to tell them what’s my personal opinion.”

“I think it’s quite clear, Carlos is the most experienced and most valuable guy out there. I would love to have him next to me next year, I think he’ll bring definitely a lot to the team and we’ll be a great pairing. But we’ve got also some very good options – we’ve got Jack, we’ve got Mick who’s been in F1, and we just have different great options.”

‘Standout candidate’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...ne-in-f1-2025/

Verstappen reveals vision problems from 2021 Silverstone crash with Hamilton.
    Championship runaway leader Max Verstappen has revealed that he has been struggling with vision problems after his horrific crash with Lewis Hamilton at the British Grand Prix in 2021.
    14 Jul 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Speaking to Red Bulletin, the reigning champion said: "Since my crash at Silverstone, I had been struggling with vision problems, especially on hilly tracks or circuits with a lot of advertising signs on the side of the track. Looking back at his victory in the 2021 Austin race which is in his personal list of best wins, he says: "In this race, I fought not only against Lewis, but also against blurred vision.”

“It was like driving at 300 km/h in a speedboat. I've never told you this before, but for a few laps it was so bad that I seriously considered pulling the car over. The only thing that helped was concentrating on my breathing while Lewis was panting down my neck. This was an important win that I desperately needed in the battle for the championship," said Verstappen.

‘Vision problems from 2021 Silverstone crash’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24994

Max Verstappen Reveals Battle With Blurred Vision During 2021 F1 Title Run
    15 Jul 2024
    Ed Spencer
    autoevolution

"Since my Silverstone crash, I've been struggling with vision problems, especially on bumpy tracks or those with many advertising boards along the track," said Verstappen exclusively to Red Bull's in-house magazine, Red Bulletin, when discussing his top 10 F1 wins.” (In 2021) When the F1 circus arrived in Austin, Texas, for the first leg of its American tour, the gap between Hamilton and Verstappen was down to six points.

Adding to his task was a bout of illness he picked up before the weekend. With 56 laps ahead at a scorching hot Circuit of the Americas, the race was set to be a punishing affair for both. "In this race, I wasn't just battling against Lewis, but also against blurry images," added Verstappen. "It was like driving a speedboat at 300 km/h!”

"I've never told you this before, but for a few laps, it was so bad that I seriously considered turning the car off. The only thing that helped was concentrating on my breathing while Lewis was breathing down my neck." The breathing exercises paid off as he held off the Brit to take a crucial victory, his first in the United States with Red Bull also picking up a double podium finish, through teammate Sergio Perez who came home third despite having no fluids during the race.

‘Blurred Vision’;

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...un-237005.html

Verstappen reveals ‘vision problems’ since 2021 Silverstone crash
    12 Jul 2024
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Max Verstappen has revealed a lasting impact of the high-speed crash he endured during the 2021 British Grand Prix, admitting to suffering “vision problems” since the accident. While seemingly unscathed at the time, Verstappen has revealed lingering vision issues, particularly on bumpy tracks or circuits with numerous trackside advertisements.

“Since my Silverstone crash, I’ve been struggling with vision problems, especially on bumpy tracks or those with many advertising boards along the track,” he told Red Bull’s website. Verstappen's revelation adds a new dimension to his 2021 championship win. The hidden battle he faced behind the wheel highlights his mental and physical fortitude throughout the season.

‘Lingering vision issues’;

https://f1i.com/news/513820-verstapp...one-crash.html

'I never told anyone': Max Verstappen names one race where he nearly ‘stopped the car’ amid vision problems
    12 July 2024
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Max Verstappen has revealed that he had to deal with eyesight issues after his crash at the 2021 British Grand Prix. The problems arose in the midst of a title battle with Lewis Hamilton. Hamilton and Verstappen made contact at Copse on the first lap of the race as the Mercedes driver tried to execute a bold overtake. The Red Bull star slid into the barriers at high speed.

The stewards handed Hamilton a 10-second penalty for the incident, but he was still able to win the race. Verstappen, meanwhile, had to go to hospital for checks. He was fit to race in the Hungarian GP a couple of weeks later, but suffered lasting complications from the impact. Verstappen still went on to win the first of his three titles to date.

It was a truly classic campaign that saw the two drivers enter the final race in Abu Dhabi level on points. After a last-lap overtake on his rival following a safety car period, Verstappen snatched the championship.

'I never told anyone';

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/max...sion-problems/

Verstappen reveals “vision problems” since 2021 Silverstone crash with Hamilton
    11th July 2024
    Keith Collantine
    F1 Technical

The collision occured as Verstappen and Hamilton fought over the lead on the first lap of the race. The stewards ruled Hamilton was “predominantly at fault” for the clash and gave him a 10-second time penalty, despite which he was able to win the race.

Red Bull lobbied the FIA to impose a further penalty on Hamilton, submitting a ‘Right of Review’ request after using test driver Alexander Albon to simulate the Mercedes’ line through Copse, while Sergio Perez did the same in their simulator. The request was rejected and Mercedes responding by accusing “the senior management of Red Bull Racing” of trying to “tarnish the good name and sporting integrity of Lewis Hamilton.”

Max Verstappen has revealed his vision was affected by the heavy crash he suffered after colliding with Lewis Hamilton during the 2021 British Grand Prix. The Red Bull driver spun sideways into a tyre barrier at Copse corner with a force of around 51G. He was able to climb from his cockpit and was taken to hospital for checks. Three years on from the impact, Verstappen admitted he has found it difficult to see in some racing situations.

‘Verstappen reveals “vision problems” since 2021 Silverstone crash’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/11/...with-hamilton/

F1 NATION: Mercedes to win again? Another chance for McLaren? More to come from Red Bull? It’s our Hungarian GP preview.
    After a brief pause following a busy triple header – which featured two wins for a resurgent Mercedes – Formula 1 returns to action this weekend for the Hungarian Grand Prix, and there are lots of topics up for discussion heading into the event.
    15 July 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

On this week's episode of F1 Nation, host Tom Clarkson and 1996 world champion Damon Hill are joined by Mercedes Engineering Director Andrew Shovlin off the back of the squad winning back-to-back races for the first time since 2021. Will they make it three in a row in Budapest, or can Red Bull, McLaren or Ferrari take another win in this unpredictable season?

‘Hungarian GP preview’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...29JHuyNU8edpiY

PREVIEW: 2024 FIA Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix
    July 15, 2024
    Joe Briley
    The Checkered Flag

The 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix promises to be an exciting weekend, with the competition at the front as tight as ever. Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team come into the weekend fresh from two consecutive race wins, while Lando Norris will be hoping to right the wrongs of the Silverstone week. You can also never write off three-time world champion and current championship leader, Max Verstappen.

The midfield is incredibly close too, there’s a battle between Visa Cash App RB and MoneyGram Haas F1 Team that will continue this weekend, while Williams Racing will be hoping for more points after Alex Albon drove an excellent race to finish ninth at the 2024 British Grand Prix.

‘PREVIEW’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...an-grand-prix/

What changes the Hungaroring have made to honour Ayrton Senna at the Hungarian Grand Prix
    15 July 2024
    Rory Mitchell
    F1 Oversteer

The Hungaroring has gone through a couple of changes since Formula 1 last visited the track 12 months ago. The circuit located just outside of Budapest has a contract to host F1 races until 2027 and recently outlined plans to update its facilities as part of its agreement that could see it extend its contract until 2032.

Organisers plan to improve the size of the garages and width of the paddock, alongside building a new main entrance, race control tower, and a 10,000-seater grandstand. The track has the second longest continuous and unbroken streak of any venue on the F1 calendar after Monza…

Ayrton Senna tribute at Hungaroring ahead of Hungarian GP: In addition to the renovations, the track has also made a tribute to Ayrton Senna as part of its track renovations. According to local journalist Sandor Meszaros, the track has coloured its kerbs in yellow and green to honour the Brazilian. It appears each of the kerbs around the circuit will adopt the colour scheme, which is a change from the usual red, white and green colours used to signify the Hungarian flag.

‘Tribute to Ayrton Senna as part of its track renovations’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/wha...an-grand-prix/

2024 F1 Hungarian Grand Prix – Start time, how to watch, channel & more
    Back to back wins for Mercedes have thrust it back into contention as a four-way battle for the championship emerges ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix.
    16 July 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Red Bull Racing continues to lead the way, with Max Verstappen extending his championship lead in Silverstone. However, it's a critical weekend for the squad as Sergio Perez continues to struggle – the coming two events arguably the most important of his career to date.

McLaren heads to Hungary licking its wounds after arguably spurning two chances at victory last time out. Strategy errors proved costly on a weekend the team looked to have the most competitive package, mistakes it can't afford to make as it eyes the constructors' championship.

Hot conditions are expected with Budapest in the midst of a heat wave, which will certainly play a factor. The Mercedes is thought to like the cooler conditions, though the real differentiator will be who can get the tyres working, and then keep them alive in the extreme temperatures.

‘Four-way battle for the championship emerges’;

https://speedcafe.com/2024-f1-hungar...-channel-more/

F1 drivers braced for “extremely hot” Hungarian GP after heatwave
    17th July 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Parts of Hungary have experienced heatwave conditions in recent days and conditions are expected to remain hot as F1 teams arrive at the circuit for this weekend’s race. Temperatures of up to 35C are expected on race day which would be the hottest seen so far this year and at any round since 2022.

“It looks like conditions will be extremely hot,” said Alpine’s Pierre Gasly, “so the full race distance will be a really tough one for all the drivers from a physical point of view.”

“Extremely hot”;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/17/...nd-up-17-07-7/

F1 drivers set for Hungarian GP obstacle with severe weather warning
    The latest round of the F1 season takes place at the Hungaroring - it may well present a physical and mental challenge to the drivers during Sunday's grand prix.
    17 July 2024
    RacingNews365 Staff
    RaceFans

The 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix will be an incredibly hot affair for the paddock, with scorching temperatures set to be present the entire weekend. Round 13 of the ongoing F1 season sees the paddock descend on the Hungaroring, which has hosted a race annually since 1986. The track, despite being short and narrow in places, has thrown up some exciting races in the past. While drivers will have to focus on the job at hand in bringing home a successful result, their task will be made harder by the sweltering temperatures throughout the weekend.

During Friday practice and Saturday qualifying, it will be warm and tropical, with highs of 34°C and 32°C expected respectively. On Sunday, however, the weekend temperature will peak - in the afternoon, it will rise to 35°C and a possibility exists that it will even seep into 36°C for the race. With the temperature in the cockpit rising well above the air temperature during the race, fitness levels will be put to the test across the grid. There is also a chance of heavy thunderstorms later in the evening, however it is uncertain whether these potential storms will hit the circuit.

‘Severe weather warning’;

https://racingnews365.com/f1-drivers...eather-warning

Formula One statistics for the Hungarian Grand Prix
    Jul 17, 2024
    The Straits Times

Formula One statistics for Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix at Budapest's Hungaroring, round 13 of the 24 race world championship.
    Lap distance: 4.381km. Total distance: 306.630km (70 laps)
    2023 pole position: Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes one minute 16.609 seconds

2023 race winner: Max Verstappen (Netherlands) Red Bull
    Race lap record: Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:16.627 (2020)
    Start time: 1300 GMT (1500 local time)

‘Formula One statistics’;

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...ian-grand-prix

Hungarian GP: F1 preview, times, predictions, stats
    Jul 17, 2024
    • ESPN
    ESPN.com

Formula One has reached round 13 -- the Hungarian Grand Prix, and what began out as another dominant Red Bull campaign at the start of the season has delivered some thrilling races since Miami, with surprise winners and the battle intensifying.

So far, the season has had six different winners and has seen a resurgence from Mercedes with Lewis Hamilton back to winning ways at the British Grand Prix. Meanwhile Ferrari, who were the challengers to Max Verstappen and Red Bull at the start, have found themselves with only one podium since Charles Leclerc's Monaco Grand Prix win in May.

Who's going to win? The Hungaroring represents a return to slow and medium-speed corners, which may help Ferrari recover to a more competitive position. But on a circuit where Verstappen dominated last year, it's hard to look past Red Bull being the favourite for victory.

‘F1 preview, times, predictions, stats’;

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/4...dictions-stats

More fragile trophies and 'another' 9th Hamilton win? Hungarian GP preview.
    Senna’s life, and his Hungaroring victories will be marked by repainted kerbs on the S bends of Turns 8-10, in the green and yellow colours of the Brazilian flag.
    July 18th 2024
    Dominic Tobin
    Motor Sport Magazine

Lewis Hamilton will be looking for his second successive F1 win at the 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix, but Ferrari could spring a comeback. Here's what to watch out for at the Hungaroring, including fragile trophies, porcelain-effect helmets and scorching temperatures.

With six different grand prix winners this season, what are the chances of adding a seventh this weekend? Not bad, you’d have to say, given Hungary’s record of unexpected F1 results over almost 40 years.

‘Hungarian GP preview’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

What time does the 2024 F1 Hungarian GP start?
    From Friday, July 19th, to Sunday, July 21st, the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix will be held. Check here what time the race begins.
    18 July 2024
    RacingNews365 Staff
    RacingNews365

The Hungarian GP weekend will take place from Friday, July 19th, to Sunday, July 21st, 2024. It is relatively difficult to overtake on the narrow Hungaroring, making qualifying and the right race strategy crucial. Last year, Max Verstappen won the Hungarian GP with a significant lead of over thirty seconds. However, after the thrilling races with various race winners recently, this year will certainly not be an easy race for the Dutch driver.

The race in Hungary starts on Sunday, July 21st, at 2:00 PM BST. The schedule is automatically adjusted to your time zone. Timetable Hungarian GP:

Session
    Date Time
    Free practice 1 Friday 19 July 13:30 - 14:30
    Free practice 2 Friday 19 July 17:00 - 18:00
    Free practice 3 Saturday 20 July 12:30 - 13:30
    Qualification Saturday 20 July 16:00 - 17:00
    Race Sunday 21 July 15:00 - 17:00

‘The schedule’;

https://racingnews365.com/what-time-...arian-gp-start

Mercedes set summer target after securing ‘headline results’
    Mercedes has a chance to win three consecutive races for the first time since 2021 this weekend.
    17 July 2024
    Nick Golding
    RacingNews365

Mercedes has never been in such a strong position in the current regulations, although more is required, in Wolff's opinion, for the team to challenge at every race. "We head into the upcoming double header with momentum," said Wolff. "We have continued to make progress with the W15 in recent races.”

"That has led to headline results in Austria and Silverstone. However, we know we don't yet have a car that can challenge for victories every weekend. The team is working hard to bring more steps of performance that we hope will enable us to do that. Those efforts will continue over the next two races and right up until shutdown."

“Head into the upcoming double header with momentum”;

https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-s...adline-results

Horner predicts Hungarian GP challenge for Red Bull
    Red Bull are looking to win its first race since the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend in Hungary.
    17 July 2024
    Nick Golding & Samuel Coop
    RacingNews365

Christian Horner is expecting the "usual people" to be quick in this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, which looks set to held in sweltering conditions. Extreme heat awaits the drivers this weekend in the Hungaroring, adding an extra element to what is already set to be an enthralling weekend. Red Bull has seen its advantage cut by McLaren and Mercedes at recent events, with the latter winning the last two races.

Based on recent performances in Hungary, both McLaren and Mercedes are expected to challenge Red Bull for victory. Max Verstappen is no longer the clear favourite heading into races, whilst the heat could also play an important role. "It's going to be interesting to see how we perform there, it could be hot," Horner told media including RacingNews365. "I think it'll be the usual people that are quick at the moment. It's going to be an interesting venue. I'm sure it'll be very, very close once again."

‘Challenge for Red Bull’;

https://racingnews365.com/horner-pre...e-for-red-bull

McLaren's Hungarian GP plans disrupted after freak event
    McLaren has been forced to adapt its Hungarian GP plans after a freak weather event.
    18 July 2024
    Jake Nichol & Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

McLaren's multi-story hub, which was damaged by an electrical fire during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend and out of action for repairs in Austria, was damaged again, with the team forced to close it for the coming weekend. "On Wednesday afternoon, during set-up for the Hungarian Grand Prix, the team was hit with an unexpected weather event which has impacted the McLaren Team Hub," read a team statement.

"The team are currently working to fix the damage and therefore unfortunately our Team Hub will not be open to any guests or media for the duration of the Hungarian GP." In Spain and Austria when the facility was out of action, McLaren boss Zak Brown used the FIA's hospitality as his base with the drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri using other McLaren facilities as their driver bases.

‘Freak weather event’;

https://racingnews365.com/mclarens-h...er-freak-event

‘Senna kerbs’ and more bad luck at McLaren: First Hungarian GP pictures
    18th July 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

The Hungaroring has also become the latest circuit to mark 30 years since the death of Ayrton Senna. The kerbs at turns six and seven have also been painted green and yellow as a tribute, which was also done at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve earlier this year. Senna finished in the top two places at the Hungaroring every year he raced there apart from his final visit in 1993, and won the race three times.

While much of Hungary has experienced several days of consistently hot conditions recently, a downpour hit the paddock during the set-up and caused some damage to McLaren’s motorhome. Its Team Hub had only recently been repaired after a fire broke out at the Spanish Grand Prix and they will not be able to receive guests there this weekend due to the damage.

‘Hungarian GP pictures’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/18/...n-gp-pictures/

Kevin Magnussen informed of Haas F1 axing over the phone | "Exploring" other options
    Kevin Magnussen addresses his axing from Haas ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix.
    18 Jul 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Speaking to media in Hungary, where Crash.net are present in the paddock, Magnussen explained how he found out the news and his immediate reaction to losing his drive at Haas. “By telephone,” he replied when asked how he was informed of the news.

“Well, I think, you know, I've been with this team since the very beginning of Haas' time at F1, and I feel very much a part of the family,” Magnussen said. “It's going to be strange to leave the team at the end of the year, but everything comes to an end, and, you know, it's still quite early in the season.”

“Haas have gone ahead and wants to secure the drivers for next year early enough, and, you know, there's still seats available, so that's understandable and fine by me.” Magnussen conceded he would have liked to stay at Haas to see the “fruits” of the recent momentum.

“By telephone”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105227...-other-options

What is the weather forecast for the 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix?
    17 Jul 2024

Formula 1 heads to the Hungaroring this weekend to kick off one more double header before the summer break – but what does the weather have in store for the Hungarian Grand Prix?

As it stands, there is a small chance of showers in phases across the weekend, but otherwise the forecast is predominantly predicting a boiling hot three days of action around the classic venue.

‘Boiling hot three days of action’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...OGfE9zFQeC7T9I

What tyres will the teams and drivers have for the 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix?
    17 Jul 2024

Drivers will get two sets of the hard tyre (marked white), three sets of the medium tyre (marked yellow), and eight sets of the soft tyre (marked red), as well as the green intermediate tyre and the blue full wets, should they be required.

‘What tyres?’

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...WKVLFACHPftc1j

F1 - 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Thursday Press Conference Transcript.
    DRIVERS – Nico HÜLKENBERG (Haas), Pierre GASLY (Alpine), Alex ALBON (Williams), Oscar PIASTRI (McLaren), Fernando ALONSO (Aston Martin)
    FIA (Press Release)

Q: Nico, great to see you. And you are enjoying a great run at the moment. Two consecutive P6s. Just how confident are you in this car and what you can do with it going forward?
    Nico HÜLKENBERG: Yeah, it's definitely been good. It's been very positive. Austria was very good. Then we brought the update to Silverstone, which added more performance and was a good step forward. I think so far this season, obviously we're at the halfway point after Silverstone, that we're definitely one of the positive surprises this season, recovering a lot of performance from last year. So it's been good. It's very enjoyable, obviously, racing for points.

Q: (Chiel Van Koldenhoven – Viaplay) Fernando, I just saw a picture on social media from Lando's car park sign. There was something written on it. It was ‘2-1, Viva España’. Was that you?
    Fernando ALONSO: Not me. No, not me. There is another Spanish driver, so yeah. Not me, for sure.

Q: (Ben Hunt – Autosport) Question to Oscar. Your motorhome has now got no roof on. I wonder, how much does this affect your preparation? Anyway, this time around, are you using your driver room or are you forced to go somewhere else? Just wondered how it affects you.
    OP: I mean, the last time our motorhome, well it caught fire last time, I think Lando put it on pole, so maybe it's, I don't know, maybe it's good! Obviously not, but it doesn't change much. We've unfortunately got the experience of having to rearrange things a little bit. So we'll be fine for the weekend. Yeah, I don't know if this motorhome we've got is now a bad omen and just, I don't know if it's a sign that we need a new one or what, but no, we'll be fine.

‘Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-hun...nce-transcript

View From The Paddock - F1 News - Hungarian Grand Prix Thursday
    20:22 Thu, 18 Jul 2024
    Motorsport.com

The Hungarian Grand Prix is here, and in the sweltering heat, Jon Noble and Alex Kalinauckas sat down to discuss all the latest news from Thursday's press day, including that Magnussen will be leaving Haas at the end of 2024, McLaren's potential brake drum trick, the 2nd Red Bull seat love triangle and more.

‘View From The Paddock’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/video/...ursday/653231/

Lewis Hamilton sends warning to Max Verstappen and Lando Norris at Hungarian Grand Prix
    Lewis Hamilton is looking to repeat his historic feat at Silverstone at the Hungarian Grand Prix this weekend.
    Jul 18, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

"It's game on," Hamilton declared to the media in Hungary. "We're fighting for wins and we're chasing, and we're going to try and win as many races as George mentioned, or compete for as many wins as possible.”

"It might turn out this weekend that the Red Bull still is light years ahead, or the McLaren is still this weekend. Who knows. But I think what we've shown over the last few races is that with determination, with real focus and persistently chasing for perfection and improvement, you can make a difference.”

"It's game on";

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ian-Grand-Prix

Why Mercedes is feeling 'nervous' ahead of Hungarian GP
    Trackside engineering chief Andrew Shovlin has explained why the nerves are at Mercedes heading to Hungary.
    18 July 2024
    Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

Mercedes is feeling "nervous" about maintaining its Silverstone form heading into the Hungarian Grand Prix, says Andrew Shovlin. "We certainly don't think that because we won the last one, let's go and win the next one," Shovlin told the F1 Nation podcast. "It almost makes you a bit more nervous as maintaining that performance we had at Silverstone is going to be very difficult.”

"The big test for Hungary is whether or not we have got on top of our long run performance in hot conditions, because in Barcelona and Austria, we couldn't match Lando or Max on the long runs, both those cars were well ahead of us. Hopefully now we've made a bit of progress, but if I look at the size of the gap in those two races, I'd be surprised if we can pull that in significantly.”

"But we surprised ourselves with the first stint at Silverstone, we didn't think in the dry bit of the race, we'd be able to break away. We thought it would be like Barcelona where George got into the lead and then he's got two of them on his gearbox. But the track throws up different demands, we can simulate those problems, we what type of issues it will throw up and we'll put our effort into the preparation side and making sure that we start with the best set-up we can."

‘Why the nerves are at Mercedes heading to Hungary’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-merced...f-hungarian-gp

Sainz hopes for a better weekend as Ferrari bring floor upgrades to Hungary
    18 Jul 2024

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz is hoping for a better weekend at the Hungaroring as his team bring further floor upgrades ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix.

‘Ferrari bring floor upgrades’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/sa...25630947412635

Lando Norris digs out McLaren as ultimate pressure placed on team before Hungarian GP
    Lando Norris is looking to return to winning ways at the Hungaroring this weekend.
    Jul 18, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Lando Norris has described the criticism levelled at McLaren's recent strategy calls as 'not unfair', putting pressure on the Woking-based team to improve at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Asked by Sky Sports F1 whether the criticism being levelled at his team is unjust, he replied: "No, not at all. It just depends on how you take it. I don't think it's unfair because you're always going to have it. That's life.”

"People are going to criticise you, people are going to support you. People are going to make mistakes. We're not the only team... there have been times when Red Bull should have won and didn't, and Mercedes should have won and didn't."

“That's life”;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ian-Grand-Prix

Max Verstappen casts pivotal F1 2024 prediction as Red Bull unleash biggest RB20 upgrade yet
    18 Jul 2024
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen has admitted it will be difficult to call how the rest of the F1 2024 season will unfold if the latest Red Bull RB20 upgrade does not deliver as expected at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Speaking to reporters in Budapest on Thursday, Verstappen explained that the update should “give a good boost” to Red Bull after a tricky series of races.

Asked how close the competition will be to Red Bull in Hungary, Verstappen replied: “I think you should turn it around: how close can we be to the competition? “I think in the last few races we have not been the quickest car, so I don’t expect that to suddenly now be any different. Of course we are bringing upgrades, so hopefully that will give a good boost.”

“At the moment, I just want to try and see how that will work this weekend. We brought stuff [earlier in the season] but they were not particularly big, I would say. This one is a bit bigger than what we have brought already. So I think, for everyone, this is an important weekend.”

‘Red Bull unleash biggest RB20 upgrade yet’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bu...pen-prediction

Bottas hopes Sauber upgrades will bring them to a 'better place'
    18 Jul 2024

Valtteri Bottas is hopeful that upgrades to his Kick Sauber will take the team to a better place at the Hungaroring, after a tricky British Grand Prix where he lacked the race pace to challenge for points.

‘Sauber upgrades’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/bo...15503544565914

Carlos Sainz heads Max Verstappen in hot opening Hungarian GP practice.
    During the soft tyre runs, Sainz produced a lap that was 0.276s faster than reigning world champion Verstappen, and 0.298s clear of Leclerc, who made it a Ferrari 1-3.
    19 Jul 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Carlos Sainz led the way from Max Verstappen and Ferrari teammate Charles Leclerc in opening practice at the F1 Hungarian Grand Prix.

Red Bull have brought a substantial upgrade package to their RB20 car for this weekend’s race at the Hungaroring, while Ferrari have introduced an updated floor in a bit to combat recent bouncing problems. George Russell was the fastest Mercedes driver in fourth, some four-tenths adrift of Sainz’s benchmark, while Zhou Guanyu was an eye-catching fifth in his upgraded Sauber.

Lando Norris took sixth ahead of McLaren teammate Oscar Piastri, RB’s Yuki Tsunoda and Lance Stroll, driving an extensively upgraded Aston Martin. Lewis Hamilton, fresh from claiming his first win in 945 days at the British Grand Prix last time out, rounded out the top 10.

‘Ferrari 1-3’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105232...an-gp-practice

Hungarian GP: Free Practice 1 Results
    Full results from Free Practice 1 from the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring.
    19 July 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Free Practice 1 from the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps Best Diff

1 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 25 1:18.713

2 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 19 1:18.989 0.276

3 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 28 1:19.011 0.298

4 63 George Russell Mercedes 26 1:19.137 0.424

5 24 Zhou Guanyu Sauber 23 1:19.180 0.467

6 4 Lando Norris McLaren 24 1:19.211 0.498

7 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 25 1:19.249 0.536

8 22 Yuki Tsunoda RB 24 1:19.260 0.547

9 18 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 24 1:19.265 0.552

10 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 27 1:19.287 0.574

‘Full results from Free Practice 1’;

https://speedcafe.com/hungarian-gp-f...ice-1-results/

Hungarian Grand Prix: F1 Free Practice 1 Results
    Who will set the pace after a flurry of upgrades being brought to the Hungaroring?
    July 19, 2024
    Nathan Hartley
    FormulaNerds

Williams driver Alex Albon went quickest on his soft tyre run. The Thai driver set a 1:19.794 – 0.037 seconds quicker than Verstappen at the top. However, Russell smashed that lap time, setting a 1:19.137 on the soft compound. Hamilton went a tenth-and-a-half slower than his teammate on his soft tyre run.

Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc bettered Russell’s time, setting a 1:19.011 on the soft compound tyre. Ferrari will be hoping their modified floor will help them compete for pole position and the race win this weekend. Sauber’s Zhou Guanyu set a time good enough for third – 0.169 seconds off Leclerc’s time. Are Sauber’s upgrades meaningful?

Sainz then smashed his teammate’s lap time, being the first driver to go into the 1:18’s. The Spaniard set a 1:18.713 on the soft compound. Verstappen was not quick enough to beat Sainz’s time, going just under three tneths slower than the Spaniard. Sainz ended the session quickest – head of Verstappen and his teammate Leclerc.

‘F1 Free Practice 1 Results’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/hu.../?nowprocket=1

Where Ferrari really stands after topping first Hungarian GP practice
    Jul 19, 2024
    by Ben Anderson
    The Race

Ferrari has started Formula 1’s 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix on the front foot, with Carlos Sainz setting the pace in first practice. After an abysmal recent run stretching back to June’s Canadian GP, Ferrari has brought a modified floor to Budapest with the aim of alleviating bouncing problems at high speed and low ride heights.

The lower-speed nature of the Hungaroring, compared to Silverstone and Barcelona - where bouncing has been most problematic and forced Ferrari into reverting on aerodynamic upgrades - will no doubt be helping.

Sainz’s 1m18.713s best lap of the session, set on the soft C5 compound Pirelli, seemed to achieve the right balance between speed-sapping understeer at the start of the lap utilised to protect the rear tyres from overheating too much through the looping final sector.

‘Where Ferrari really stands’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/h...rrari-fastest/

Hungarian Grand Prix: Ferrari on top but Max Verstappen pace catches the eye
    19 Jul 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Ferrari topped the opening hour of practice in Hungary via Carlos Sainz, but the threat of Max Verstappen looms large. The switch to soft tyres saw Sainz unlock session-topping pace from his Ferrari, but while his 1:18.713 bettered P2 finisher Verstappen by almost three-tenths, Verstappen crucially was running used softs and looked very impressive doing so.

Focus soon returned to the front as Verstappen delivered his next push lap, good enough for P2 and within three tenths of Sainz on used softs. Russell, looking to respond, was getting all hot and bothered with Alpine’s Esteban Ocon who got in the way. He claimed the 2021 Hungarian GP winner was “defending” against him.

Into the final 10 minutes and Verstappen was soon finding time on his used tyres in Sector 1, but could not keep the green sectors coming to improve. Sainz would top FP1 from Verstappen and Leclerc, but it remains to be seen what Verstappen can unleash on a shiny new set of softs.

‘Max Verstappen looms large’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/hungar...024-fp1-report

Hungarian GP: Sainz puts Ferrari on top in opening practice
    19/07/2024 at 13:47
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Carlos Sainz offered Ferrari an encouraging start to its Hungarian Grand Prix weekend by setting the pace in Friday’s opening practice at the Hungaroring. The Spaniard enjoyed a reasonable 0.276s margin over Red Bull’s Max Verstappen while Charles Leclerc confirmed the Scuderia’s early from by setting the third fastest lap, 0.296s adrift from his teammate.

Norris’ switch to the soft compound yielded a time just 0.074s shy of Russell. But in an encouraging sign for Ferrari, Leclerc sprung to the top with a 1m19.011. And Sainz followed suit, also on the softs, with an effort that put the Spaniard below the 1m18s barrier.

‘Ferrari on top in opening practice’;

https://f1i.com/news/514184-hungaria...-practice.html

Verstappen fires warning shot as Ferrari rekindle hope
    There were upgrades aplenty on show at the Hungaroring, with Red Bull sporting a major package, and Ferrari a crucial tweak.
    19 July 2024
    Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

Verstappen only uses softs: Opting for an early run on softs, compared to the majority of his rivals on mediums, Verstappen unsurprisingly set the early pace with a lap of 1:20.715s. After a cool down, the three-time F1 champion shaved off nine-tenths of a second to post 1:19.831s. Verstappen was on course to go even quicker on his third push lap after posting purple times in the first and second sectors, only to lose time in the final sector to fall short of his leading run

Behind the Dutch driver over the early exchanges was Mercedes' George Russell, 0.252s adrift, followed by the McLaren duo of Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri. It was not until halfway through the session that Verstappen was usurped as the soft tyres came to the fore, initially by Williams' Alex Albon with a 1:19.794s before Russell blitzed that by over six-tenths of a second, followed by Hamilton, 0.150s adrift.

Norris soon split the Mercedes pair, almost exactly, finishing 0.074s behind Russell, before Ferrari showed their hand for this session as Leclerc, and then Sainz, went quickest, the latter the first to dip below 79 seconds with a lap of 1:18.713s. When Verstappen resumed his soft-tyre running after a lull, and with track conditions more ideal compared to his earlier laps, the 26-year-old netted his second spot behind Sainz. As mentioned, the good news for Red Bull was that his time was on a used set. Additionally, Verstappen only used soft tyres throughout the 60-minute session.

‘Verstappen fires warning shot’;

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...-rekindle-hope

Four F1 teams bring crucial upgrades for Hungarian GP
    Jul 19, 2024
    by Mark Hughes
    The Race

Several Formula 1 teams have brought what they hope will be very significant upgrades to the Hungarian Grand Prix, including changes that could be season-changing for some squads if they solve the problems they’re designed to.

‘What’s new’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/f...-hungarian-gp/

Norris fastest from Verstappen in Hungarian GP second practice as Leclerc crashes.
    Lando Norris was fastest from Max Verstappen in FP2 for the 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix, as Ferrari‘s Charles Leclerc crashed out at high speed at the Hungaroring.
    19 July 2024
    John Smith
    Total Motorsport

Once FP2 resumed, Norris went a quarter of a second quicker than Verstappen, with the pair set to resume their battle from recent events. Carlos Sainz, who topped first practice, was in third at 0.397s adrift, with Sergio Perez in fourth and George Russell in fifth at half a second down. Kevin Magnussen finished sixth as Haas underlined their strong pace this year and British GP winner Lewis Hamilton ended up in seventh.

Leclerc spin could prove costly: Ferrari were first and third in the opening practice session at the Hungarian GP, with their modified floor appearing to work around the twisty Budapest circuit. Leclerc has scored just 12 points since his victory at the Monaco GP in May but he wasn’t able to complete a qualifying simulation on the soft tyres due to his crash.

It looks like McLaren and Red Bull have an edge over Mercedes, who are looking for a hat-trick of wins this season. Oscar Piastri finished down in 13th after he damaged his floor and lost track time as McLaren repaired his car. The other major incident of the session saw Sauber‘s Zhou Guanyu nearly collect Perez after he also spun at the same corner as Leclerc.

‘McLaren and Red Bull have an edge over Mercedes’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/lan...clerc-crashes/

Hungarian GP: Free Practice 2 Results.
    Full results from Free Practice 2 from the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring.
    20 July 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Free Practice 2 from the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps Best Diff

1 4 Lando Norris McLaren 23 1:17.788

2 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 19 1:18.031 0.243

3 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 21 1:18.185 0.397

4 11 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing 22 1:18.255 0.467

5 63 George Russell Mercedes 19 1:18.294 0.506

6 20 Kevin Magnussen Haas 23 1:18.315 0.527

7 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 19 1:18.363 0.575

8 3 Daniel Ricciardo RB 18 1:18.371 0.583

9 23 Alex Albon Williams 21 1:18.514 0.726

10 14 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 21 1:18.519 0.731

‘Full results from Free Practice 2’;

https://speedcafe.com/hungarian-gp-f...ice-2-results/

Leclerc crashes, Norris leads Verstappen in Hungarian GP FP2
    Jul 19, 2024
    by Samarth Kanal
    The Race

The weekend started encouragingly for Ferrari as Carlos Sainz topped first practice but his team-mate Leclerc - who was third in FP1 - spun and hit the barriers 16 minutes into FP2. Leclerc took too much kerb at the Turn 4 left-hand kind and spun, causing the front-left of his Ferrari to hit the barriers and bring out the red flags.

The resulting 16-minute stoppage cost teams considerable time, although the crash and its resulting damage was of particular concern to Ferrari, which has brought an underbody upgrade to the Hungaroring for both of its drivers.

After the stoppage, the field equipped soft tyres and it was Norris who went fastest with a time of 1m17.788s thanks to a fastest first sector of all that was two tenths faster than Max Verstappen’s first sector. The championship leader finished second - having himself set the fastest middle sector - but he was 0.243 seconds off Norris.

‘Leclerc crashes, Norris leads Verstappen’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/h...verstappen-f1/

Lando Norris tops second Hungarian GP practice as Charles Leclerc crashes
    Lando Norris set the pace ahead of Max Verstappen in second practice at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
    19 Jul 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Lando Norris led the way in second practice at the F1 Hungarian Grand Prix in a session that was truncated by a crash for Charles Leclerc. McLaren’s Norris was 0.243s clear of reigning world champion Max Verstappen in Red Bull’s significantly upgraded RB20, while Carlos Sainz was third for Ferrari, 0.397s off the pace.

Sergio Perez improved to fourth in the afternoon, ahead of Mercedes’ George Russell, outgoing Haas driver Kevin Magnussen, and seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, winner of the British Grand Prix two weeks ago. Daniel Ricciardo popped his RB into eighth, with Alex Albon and Fernando Alonso completing the rest of the top-10 for Williams and Aston Martin respectively.

‘Lando Norris set the pace’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105235...eclerc-crashes

F1 Hungarian GP: Norris fastest in red-flagged FP2 over Verstappen, Sainz
    19 Jul 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport.com

Lando Norris clocked the fastest time in the second practice session at this weekend’s Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix, while Charles Leclerc caused a red flag stop. Norris propelled his McLaren to the top at the Hungaroring as he set a 1:17.788s on the Softs to emerge quickest, two-tenths quicker than Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.

However, it wasn’t plain sailing down at McLaren as Oscar Piastri’s MCL38 needed minor work to repair floor damage, with the Australian having had a disrupted FP1. Leclerc is striving to recover from a torrid recent run this weekend, but his participation in proceedings was cut short as he careered his Ferrari into the wall at Turn 4.

Behind Verstappen came the pacesetter from FP1 as Carlos Sainz wound up third fastest in the one remaining Ferrari car, with Perez a positive fourth in his Red Bull. George Russell completed the top five places, 0.506s down on Norris’ benchmark, with Kevin Magnussen a shock sixth in the Haas to sandwich the Mercedes drivers.

‘Norris fastest in red-flagged FP2’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...uses-red-flag/

F1 Hungarian GP: Norris fastest in red-flagged FP2 over Verstappen, Sainz
    McLaren's Lando Norris set a 1m17.788s lap in interrupted FP2 in Hungary to sit clear of F1 title leader Max Verstappen
    Jul 19, 2024
    Jake Boxall-Legge
    Motorsport.com

Sergio Perez had moved to the top of the order with a 1m18.568s amid the early runs on mediums, which remained the fastest lap throughout the session's opening 15 minutes. At this stage, the session was interrupted by Charles Leclerc's crash on the exit of Turn 4; the Ferrari driver took too much kerb coming out of the uphill left-hander, pitching his car into a heavy spin into the opposite wall.

Once the green flag was shown once more, the usual soft tyre runs began to take place; George Russell posted a 1m18.294s to dispatch Perez's earlier benchmark, kicking off the post-pause shuffle in the order. Norris then put half a second on his countryman, moving to the top with a 1m17.788s to set a considerable benchmark for the other drivers to aim for.

FP1 headliner Carlos Sainz closed Norris' advantage over second after setting a 1m18.185s, which cut the gap to under 0.4s, while Max Verstappen improved further with a 1m18.031s. However, Norris' lap in the 1m17s could not be eclipsed prior to the longer runs. Perez had set a follow-up time good enough for fourth behind Sainz and Verstappen, albeit only 0.3s quicker than his medium tyre lap - a much smaller improvement compared to the tyre deltas for everyone else.

‘Norris' lap in the 1m17s could not be eclipsed’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ainz/10636255/

2024 Hungarian GP FP2: Heavy impact for Leclerc triggers red flag in second practice
    Jul 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc was third quickest in FP1 on Friday morning but his day ended when he spun his Ferrari at Turn 4 and thumped into the barriers. He walked away from the incident but missed out on most of the session.

‘Heavy impact’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...23244511510681