Page 89 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,887 Times in 1,723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Good.

Seems there's a difference between a talent program and a championship/cup/trophy that they can skirt the rule. Skirt lol.
    No. There is difference in FIA ideas among the years. It was same with "senior" category. In ERC it was refused and few years later introduced in WRC...

Liked 85 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I remember few years ago when FIA decided to stop Ladies Trophy in ERC, despite both promoter and competitors were against. FIA told that there cannot be any championship or cup based on gender...
    I am not little girl that can be inspired to became rally driver but if I would, I think I would be more inspired if I see female driver competing like equal with male drivers than see female drivers having their own little competition.

From rally fan perspective, I also don't like Lia Block choosing circuit racing route.

Liked 1,836 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backa View Post
    I am not little girl that can be inspired to became rally driver but if I would, I think I would be more inspired if I see female driver competing like equal with male drivers than see female drivers having their own little competition.

From rally fan perspective, I also don't like Lia Block choosing circuit racing route.
    The selection pool for female competitors is very small in all motorsport so it's statistically improbable to have competitors at top level. Such programmes are intended to show that it's possible and increase interest with the idea that with increased interest there will be a higher selection pool and therefore a higher chance of someone talented appearing. It's perhaps anecdotal but interesting how 15 years after Leena Gade was featured in Audi's Truth in 24 II Le Mans film there are several female race engineers and strategists working at high level including F1.

4. Likes: Eli (7th July 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    The selection pool for female competitors is very small in all motorsport so it's statistically improbable to have competitors at top level. Such programmes are intended to show that it's possible and increase interest with the idea that with increased interest there will be a higher selection pool and therefore a higher chance of someone talented appearing. It's perhaps anecdotal but interesting how 15 years after Leena Gade was featured in Audi's Truth in 24 II Le Mans film there are several female race engineers and strategists working at high level including F1.
    I am not arguing about programme. I like idea to make sure top female talent would get funding. I am arguing against women-only cups.

Same with Toyota promoting Japanese drivers. I think it's cool they are doing it but "non-European drivers championships" would be silly.

Liked 11,383 Times in 4,526 Posts
    I am not arguing about programme. I like idea to make sure top female talent would get funding. I am arguing against women-only cups.
    That's intertwined. First you need to get the female competitors on board and by not having this female cups where they and their sponsors get attention you end with having no female competitors at all because in past fourty years no woman has been able to make it in the rallying top level on her own.

I wouldn't take it as a gender thing. For me it's basically the same like when you create a cup for juniors. You do that because you want to help them in their career which would otherwise be much harder.
    Last edited by Mirek; 8th July 2024 at 16:56.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: TWRC (9th July 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I wouldn't take it as a gender thing. For me it's basically the same like when you create a cup for juniors. You do that because you want to help them in their career which would otherwise be much harder.
    For me it's more like you are supporting driver of specific nationality, like Toyota did with Katsuta and Hiroki Arai. You find some young drivers with potential and not exactly let them "make it on their own" but make sure they have right opportunities to develop. Female driver would quite naturally get attention once she will reach solid WRC2 skill level, also from sponsors.

Ladies Trophy didn't bring too much attention, if Search Tool doesn't lie, it didn't even had own thread on this forum despite being run by many years.

Liked 11,383 Times in 4,526 Posts
    Ladies Trophy didn't bring too much attention, if Search Tool doesn't lie, it didn't even had own thread on this forum despite being run by many years.
    It still brough more girls to the international rallying than any other activity in decades.

For me it's more like you are supporting driver of specific nationality, like Toyota did with Katsuta and Hiroki Arai. You find some young drivers with potential and not exactly let them "make it on their own" but make sure they have right opportunities to develop. Female driver would quite naturally get attention once she will reach solid WRC2 skill level, also from sponsors.
    Sadly nobody has succeeded in what you propose in past fourty years. In theory it's of course right but in real life it never worked that way.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    It still brough more girls to the international rallying than any other activity in decades.

Sadly nobody has succeeded in what you propose in past fourty years. In theory it's of course right but in real life it never worked that way.
    Were even serious attempts to do it in past 40 years?

Liked 514 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    Esapekka Lappi will participate in ORLEN Lietuva Rally 12-13. July. I wonder, does Neuville also drive somewhere? Ott will drive in ERC Rally Estonia this weekend, Lappi will drive next weekend.

Edit: https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/n...land/10630384/ - Hyundai’s WRC programme manager Christian Loriaux says the team will look into Neuville’s request. “It is not in the plan at the moment, but there is always a chance, but we will have to look into it,” he told Autosport.

So Tänak and Lappi will get a chance and Neuville not?
    And he does get a chance! Neuville will also participate in Orlen Lietuva Rally 2024

Interesting to see what cars they will be using. I have understood that there is one testing car which was used by Tänak in ERC Rally Estonia. So I assume they could repair that?
    Last edited by flat_right; 8th July 2024 at 20:38.

12. Likes: Backa (8th July 2024)
    Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig