Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    ‘That’s on me’ – Magnussen holds his hands up after jump start in Spain.
    Kevin Magnussen was given a penalty for jumping the start of the Spanish Grand Prix before he eventually finished down in P17 on a tough day for Haas.
    23 June 2024

‘That’s on me’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/th...63928897988770

Spanish Grand Prix: Race Recap
    June 23, 2024
    Haas F1 Team - Official Site

Ayao Komatsu, Team Principal: “Overall, I think in terms of performance there’s lots of positives, and I think we raced stronger than I anticipated. Of course, P11 is kind of the worst place to finish, just being outside of the points, so that’s pretty frustrating. Nico had a good start and Nico’s pace in the first stint was strong…”

Nico Hulkenberg: “All in all, it was a more positive than negative Sunday for us. We had pretty good competitive pace throughout the race, so that makes me happy. It’s encouraging for the next couple of weeks and months. I enjoyed the race, but it was missing a little bit, ultimately, we needed a better qualifying yesterday and to start further ahead to have a chance at points. We need to optimize our qualifying in the next couple of races.”

Kevin Magnussen:
    “Unfortunately, I got that jump start and that’s on me of course. I had that impulse and let it go a little bit, so we got the penalty, and we had a slow stop also, so it’s just been a tough day. It’s not been a great weekend here so hopefully we can do better in Austria.”

‘Race Recap’;

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/span...x-race-recap-5

Haas discover outcome of £10.3m Nikita Mazepin sponsor lawsuit as legal battle ends
    Haas have discovered the outcome of their lawsuit with Nikita Mazepin's primary sponsor.
    Jun 23, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Haas have been told to issue a partial refund of their £10.3million (£13m) sponsorship fee from Uralkali following a lengthy legal dispute. The Russian fertilizer company signed on as a title sponsor in 2021, but their partnership was terminated early ahead of the 2022 campaign following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Haas, however, were unwilling to agree to Uralkali’s demands, and the two parties embarked on a legal battle that has only just come to an end. Following a ruling from the Swiss arbitration court, both sides of the dispute are arguing that they emerged victorious.

Uralkali issued a statement on Thursday ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix, reading: “The tribunal found that Haas was in violation of the contract and obliged the team to pay compensation to Uralkali.”

‘Outcome of £10.3m Nikita Mazepin sponsor lawsuit’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...n-Haas-lawsuit

Report: Haas plan to announce ‘extraordinary’ star as their first driver for 2025 at the…
    When Haas plan to announce rookie Oliver Bearman as their first F1 driver for 2025
    Tue 25 June 2024 12:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Haas discovered earlier in the campaign that their efforts to retain Nico Hulkenberg were futile and he would be driving for Sauber next season. Ever since then, they’ve been linked with Ferrari junior Oliver Bearman to replace him and despite a difficult F2 campaign, he looks set to be announced as the German’s replacement. Fittingly for the British driver, it appears as though Haas will confirm Bearman’s seat for the 2025 F1 season at his home race at Silverstone next weekend. It’s a huge step forward for the teenager who showed in Jeddah that he’s ready to become the fourth Brit on the grid next year.

Haas to confirm Oliver Bearman’s seat at the British Grand Prix: Nico Hulkenberg has been their main points scorer although in recent races he’s been extremely unlucky and continues to rack up 11th-place finishes just outside the points. Losing the 36-year-old is a very tough blow for Haas and they look set to replace experience with youth. The report from RacingNews365 suggests that the ‘extraordinary’ Bearman – as described by Damon Hill on Sky Sports F1 during the coverage of the Spanish Grand Prix – will be announced as Haas’s newest driver during the British Grand Prix weekend.

‘Report: Haas plan to announce ‘extraordinary’ star’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/whe...iver-for-2025/

Haas set to confirm first half of F1 2025 line-up at British Grand Prix week – report
    25 Jun 2024
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

A report from RacingNews365 claims Haas are set to announce Bearman as their first driver on the F1 2025 grid in the build-up to his home race at Silverstone next week, with the teenager set to get back behind the wheel of the VF-24 for his next scheduled FP1 session with the team.

When asked if his home race would be an ideal place for his first Formula 1 contract to be announced, Bearman told media including PlanetF1.com in Barcelona: “That’s not in my hands. Silverstone is going to be crazy for sure, there’s a lot of things happening,” he added.

“Even last year it was busy, but as well as the fact I’m doing FP1, there are a lot more things happening behind the scenes, a lot of fun appearances and stuff. It’s going to be a busy weekend but I’m so excited for my home race. I really can’t wait. It’s going to be great, it’s going to be fantastic.”

‘Haas are set to announce Bearman’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/haas-o...25-seat-report

Bottas blames soft tyre strategy for difficult day in Barcelona.
    Kick Sauber’s Valtteri Bottas was hoping for his first points of the year in Spain this weekend but he eventually finished 16th, and the Finn reckoned his soft tyre strategy didn’t help matters.
    23 June 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘Soft tyre strategy’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/bo...64410717563857

‘Strange message’ from Valtteri Bottas could end F1 career, claims Ted Kravitz
    23 Jun 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Could Formula 1 team principals therefore take that as a sign that Bottas is no longer fully committed to Formula 1, Kravitz ponders. Kravitz said: “You might have mentioned it in a sort of jokey way, but with a lot of his extracurricular, extra Formula 1 stuff, doing cycling races, is Valtteri sending a strange message or is that message being misinterpreted by the piranha club of team bosses thinking…”

“ ‘Oh, well, he doesn’t seem to be very interested in Formula 1 anymore and seems to be loving life more as cycling and doing his coffee and wine and gin and other stuff’. Do you think there’s a danger of that? That’s just an open question, because I don’t know.”

“I know Valtteri fairly well and I know that he’s very, extremely committed to making the Sauber a faster race car and he loves racing and scoring points. But I wonder if there’s a perception out there that he’s just interested in other stuff now.”

‘Piranha club of team bosses’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/valtte...sk-ted-kravitz

F1 driver market to spark back into life this week
    It seems there are moves afoot but who will end up where?
    25 June 2024
    Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

Valtteri Bottas is anticipating the latest dominoes will start to fall in F1's driver market this week. Suggested to Bottas the driver market was due to kick off this week and whether he felt he was in the mix, speaking to media, including RacingNews365, following the Spanish Grand Prix, he replied: "Yeah, I'm ready for next week.”

"I think there is one certain date, apparently, that is going to decide some things, so I'm looking forward." Asked as to the date, Bottas joked: "I can't tell you. It's classified." As to his confidence whether he will know what he will be doing, he added:

"There's a 50 per cent chance I will know - maybe, maybe not. But I think after next week things will start happening quickly." In terms of his confidence on whether he will be in F1 next season, he replied: "There's always doubt when you are not signed. I should be here, I belong here, so let's see."

‘Spark back into life’;

https://racingnews365.com/f1-driver-...life-this-week

Valtteri Bottas teases “certain date” for F1 driver market drama to be resolved
    The drama surrounding the F1 driver market could be sorted soon, according to Valtteri Bottas.
    25 Jun 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Valtteri Bottas has hinted that the drama surrounding the F1 driver market will be resolved imminently. A number of seats on the 2025 F1 grid are still to be filled. The hold up is down to Carlos Sainz, who is reportedly still deciding which team to join.

Sainz has Sauber or Williams as clear options, while Alpine has emerged as a late contender. Whichever team Sainz decides to join has a knock-on effect. One of those drivers waiting for Sainz to decide is Bottas.

“Certain date”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105114...ma-be-resolved

Valtteri Bottas caught snooping on heated Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz exchange
    Valtteri Bottas had a front row view as Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz exchanged words after the Spanish Grand Prix.
    Jun 25, 2024
    Tom Parsons
    Daily and Sunday Express

Leclerc and Sainz aired their frustrations during interviews after the race. And footage on social media shows the aces having a heated discussion while they were waiting to be weighed.

Some drivers are seen coming in and out of shot in the footage as the Ferrari duo wave their hands around to illustrate their points.

But Kick Sauber star Bottas, who was Lewis Hamilton’s team-mate at Mercedes for five years between 2017 and 2021, can be seen standing in the same spot and staring at the Ferrari drivers.

‘Valtteri Bottas had a front row view’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...c-Carlos-Sainz

Sauber insists current struggles unrelated to Audi's F1 2026 plans
    14:51 Sat, 22 Jun 2024
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Sauber’s struggles this season are undeniable, with neither Valtteri Bottas nor Zhou Guanyu able to score a single top-ten finish in the first nine races of this year’s campaign. “I think we can say that the performances are not there, so there is nothing to hide,” Alunni Bravi said. “At the beginning of the year we had quite good performance compared to our main competitors, but we didn’t translate this into results, for all the reliability issues that have been, I would say, quite evident.”

It has been suggested that Sauber’s ongoing transformation into Audi’s 2026 works effort in F1 is having an impact on the team’s current operations, an assumption expressed in Barcelona by Bottas. “Obviously, yeah, there’s been quite a few things going on in the team in terms of for a better future,” said the Finn. “So sometimes you might take a step back to take two steps forward. So that’s part of the game, but I hope we’re in better shape. That’s all I can say.”

On the other hand, Alunni Bravi insists the team’s current performance objectives are aligned with their long-term aspirations. "I think it's a mistake to mix both things," he said. "I don't think that the preparation for the Audi works team is affecting the current two seasons, and it must not. I think that we have weaknesses that we are trying to address. Andreas has been working from last January on improving the team in this transformation process.

‘Current struggles unrelated’;

https://f1i.com/news/511473-sauber-i...026-plans.html

Report: £890m F1 team’s ‘biggest update’ of the season derailed at Spanish GP by faulty DRS.
    According to a report by AMuS, the main issues occurred from the DRS flap which “fluttered uncontrollably” when activated.
    Mon 24 June 2024 16:00
    Rory Mitchell
    F1 Oversteer

Visa Cash App RB went into the Spanish Grand Prix with great expectations, after bringing their largest upgrade package to date for Daniel Ricciardo and Yuki Tsunoda’s cars. Both drivers were set to benefit from the significant upgrade package after the team made ‘intense preparations’ for the VCARB 01 in the build-up to the Spanish Grand Prix.

RB brought six updates to their car in Barcelona including new brake cooling ducts, engine cover, sidepod inlets, floor body, rear wing, and beam wing. According to a report by AMuS, the main issues occurred from the DRS flap which “fluttered uncontrollably” when activated. The team had to revert to an old-spec rear wing for the rest of the weekend, which compromised their package. Whether the upgrade can work as intended at the next race in Austria will be key to them keeping up their momentum heading into the crucial European rounds.

Laurent Mekies rues missed opportunity. After both drivers suffered a shock Q1 elimination, it appeared as though it would be an uphill struggle for RB for the rest of the weekend. Ricciardo said he was “quite surprised” when his engineer told him the lap times relative to Williams. Team principal, Laurent Mekies, believes it would have been tricky for the team to recuperate any points due to their qualifying positions low down the grid speaking in their race review.

‘Biggest update’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/890...by-faulty-drs/

RB drivers confirm next steps after disastrous Barcelona upgrade
    Team's hopes came crashing down after a poor performance in Spain
    10:03 Tue, 25 Jun 2024
    James Phillips
    FormulaNerds

The VCARB 01 debuted substantial upgrades in Spain. The package of a new rear wing design, overhauled underbody, and new sidepods failed to move RB closer to the top four teams. Instead, RB slipped back into the lower competitive order during the Spanish Grand Prix. A double Q1 elimination provided an omen for what was to come. Tsunoda qualified in P17, with Ricciardo just behind in P18.

The race became a question of damage limitation. Tsunoda failed to make any meaningful progress, finishing in P19. Ricciardo fared little better. The Australian only managed to climb to P15, off the leading pace all weekend. Emergency action needed? As reported by motorsport.com. Ricciardo spoke after the race of the need to stay calm and not reverse the upgrade package immediately: “I think that temptation probably only exists in maybe in 72 hours. If we’re still unsure or there’s no clear answer then maybe we say: ‘Okay. do we just for the time being go back?’

“But right now I’m not there yet to resort to that. Once we put everything on the table, if we’re still like that, then that probably becomes a question.” Ricciardo also revealed that nothing felt wrong with his car despite the lack of pace, as the search for answers begins: “It was a really, really strange weekend for us to have dropped off so much. I didn’t have a bad feeling in qualifying. In the debrief Yuki and myself both felt we did good laps, we felt like the balance wasn’t bad.”

‘Crashing down’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/rb...elona-upgrade/

‘No denying it’: Baffling twist in Ricciardo ‘upgrade’ as team to face music over disaster
    June 24th, 2024 10:31 am
    James McKern from News.com.au
    Fox Sports (Australia)

Daniel Ricciardo conceded it was a “really, really strange weekend” for his team as the Australian and his teammate Yuki Tsunoda failed to fire at the Spanish Grand Prix. Despite the VISA CashApp RB team making a number of upgrades to the car, it failed to materialise into any improvements on the track.

“We came here with high hopes for the upgrades that everyone back in the factory has worked so hard to design and produce as part of our aggressive development strategy,” Mekies said. “Unfortunately, right from the start of Free Practice we were lacking pace in every session. There is no point denying this was a poor weekend for us and although the gaps were very small, there’s no excuses for the fact we just weren’t competitive.”

‘Baffling twist’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...1e590e91e28dbd

RB is "missing something with the new package ", says Ricciardo
    24 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Yuki Tsunoda found himself on a roll in recent races, but he endured a tough weekend at Barcelona. The Japanese driver never looked comfortable behind the wheel of his VCARB01, and secured only P17 on the grid. The race turned out to be a similarly difficult affair as he struggled for an optimal balance. In the end, he failed to make any progress and finished down in P19.

“It was a tough race, in which I struggled. The handling of the car was definitely not easy, and I did not feel as comfortable as I normally do. Something wasn’t quite right, and we'll analyse everything that happened to understand what did not work well and come back stronger in Austria.”

Visa Cash RB technical director Jody Egginton was at a loss for words when explaining the reasons for the team's lack of pace at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. “With the qualifying positions we had, we knew that it would be difficult to score points and we needed to be ready to try something different if the race provided the opportunity, but unfortunately it did not.”

"Missing something”;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24842

Tsunoda highlights Ricciardo influence in 'emotional control'
    Yuki Tsunoda has highlighted how significant Daniel Ricciardo has been to improving his F1 career.
    25 June 2024
    Nick Golding & Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Yuki Tsunoda has revealed that being team-mates with Daniel Ricciardo has had a huge influence on his "emotional control", with the Australian having been a huge factor in Tsunoda's impressive season. According to Tsunoda, Ricciardo has been a huge influence in the Faenza-based team, although he has no say in whether Ricciardo or Liam Lawson are signed for 2025.

"It's not a thing I can decide or control," Tsunoda told select media including RacingNews365. "I don't mind with any team-mate but, for sure, Daniel is giving a lot of technical feedback and everything and is, of course, an important influence for us. There is a lot of positive things that we got, and probably some of the things we were able tp benefit from is because of him. But at the same time, it's up to them really."

‘Huge factor’;

https://racingnews365.com/tsunoda-hi...tional-control

Marko hints Lawson could replace Ricciardo at RB in F1 2025
    25 June 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

RB has admitted that retaining Ricciardo with Tsunoda would be its preference, but Marko has revealed that Red Bull shareholders are angling to see youth integrated. “The shareholders have made it known that it is a junior team and we have to act accordingly,” Marko told Kleine Zeitung.

“We have to put a young driver in there soon,” Marko added regarding RB’s driver line-up. “That would be Liam Lawson.” Lawson has completed several F1 outings as he deputised at five rounds last term when Ricciardo was sidelined with a broken metacarpal from a crash at Zandvoort.

‘Lawson could replace Ricciardo’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...rb-in-f1-2025/

Daniel Ricciardo faces brutal F1 axe as Helmut Marko confirms VCARB decision
    Daniel Ricciardo looks set to be ditched by VCARB in the near future.
    Jun 26, 2024
    Archie Griggs

Helmut Marko has admitted that his plan for Daniel Ricciardo is 'no longer valid' with Liam Lawson set to replace him at VCARB in the near future. The Aussie was initially brought back into the Red Bull fold with a view to him eventually replacing Sergio Perez as Max Verstappen's team-mate. However, it was confirmed earlier this month that Perez had signed a new two-year contract to keep him at Red Bull until the end of 2026.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's Austrian Grand Prix, Marko confirmed that Lawson will be given a VCARB seat in the near future which could potentially spell the end of Ricciardo's time on the grid. "The shareholders have made it known that it is a junior team and we have to act accordingly," said Marko. "The goal was that he [Ricciardo] would be considered for Red Bull with exceptional performances.

‘Brutal F1 axe’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...VCARB-Red-Bull

Sargeant brands Spanish GP as ‘definitely our worst race of the year’.
    Williams’ racer Logan Sargeant finished last in Spain and said after the race “it’s been a pretty terrible weekend start to finish for the team”.
    23 June 2024

‘Worst race’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/sa...64651994945518

Williams repeatedly switch floors in search for Sargeant’s missing downforce
    26th June 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Williams ran three different floors on Logan Sargeant’s car during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend as it tried to identify why his FW46 wasn’t producing as much downforce as his team mate’s. Team principal James Vowles said the team had the same problem on Alexander Albon’s car earlier in the season. “It’s fair to say that both cars have been suffering with an odd situation where we can measure a small amount of downforce loss.”

He said in a video released by the team after the Spanish Grand Prix. “That’s been happening across several events, more typically on Alex’s side than on Logan’s side, Logan here across three different floors. We had what we know to be a good state floor on Friday in FP1,” he explained. “That’s where he was due to start. That reported a loss. We had the same [when] we changed to another floor for FP2 and the same again as we changed to a brand new floor, in fact, for qualifying.”

“The reason why we were changing floors is simply that the floors are geometrically in a good way so when you put a floor in the car, you’re continuously – all teams will do this – adjusting it to get into the optimum position, relative to where it should be from design. But even in that state, we were seeing an amount of reported loss and that wasn’t happening on Alex’s side.”

‘Williams ran three different floors’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/06/26/...ing-downforce/

Albon: Spanish Grand Prix ‘a reality check’ for Williams
    23 June 2024

Alex Albon says Williams “expect better things for Austria and Silverstone” after he finished 18th in Barcelona following a tough weekend for the British team.

‘A reality check’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/al...64119009920384

‘Don’t just say that’: Alex Albon urges Williams ‘don’t say that’ after vexing Spanish GP radio message
    23 June 2024
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Williams ace Alex Albon was left fuming at his race engineer James Urwin during the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix after receiving a vexing five-word reply on the team’s radio. Albon wrestled with his steering wheel to try and regain control of his FW46 to no avail. The off let Tsunoda slash the deficit the Japanese gem faced to his rival. But Urwin’s reply on the team’s radio enraged Albon after questioning why Williams’ car surprisedly snapped on him.

“What the hell was that?” Albon questioned over the Williams team radio. To which, Urwin replied: “All ok from our side.” But Albon took issue with Urwin’s response, adding: “No, it’s not ok. Don’t just say that within five seconds.”

‘Don’t say that’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/ale...radio-message/

Albon explains mystery problem behind turn four error and angry radio message
    23rd June 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Albon’s radio messages after he went off
    Urwin Okay, Tsunoda three behind.
    Albon What the hell was that?
    Urwin Looks all okay from our side.
    Albon No it’s not okay. Don’t just say that within five seconds.
    Urwin So we see some front wing damage.
    Albon Yeah but what was the problem with the car.
    Albon I don’t care about front damage.
    Urwin At the moment we just think it was locking but we’re checking.
    Urwin Alex we are still looking at it.
    Urwin Four laps remaining.
    Albon We’re sure it’s not wind or nothing? In turn four. I don’t really understand when the car does that kind of stuff.
    Urwin Yeah it does look like it was probably wind. So there was a gust, 17kph, at that point.

The Williams driver said he was taken aback by the moment as he had been driving within the car’s capabilities in the corner where he went off. “I was tyre-saving through [turn] four, so it was a bit odd,” he told the official F1 channel. “I wanted an answer because I know what the limit of the car is, and that wasn’t the limit.”

“Afterwards we realised it was a big gust of wind. But obviously in the moment we didn’t really know it so every time I went through turn four after that I was a little bit extra cautious.”

‘Big gust of wind’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/06/23/...radio-message/

Albon rues lack of downforce for Williams troublesome Barcelona weekend
    24 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Williams drivers Alexander Albon called the Barcelona weekend a "reality check" after the outfit spent most of the Spanish Grand Prix languish in the final spots. "We wanted more this weekend. On the one hand, the car has made a huge step forward compared to last year and we made the right choices throughout the race.”

"At the same time, this track is a bit of reality check. On a more traditional track, our lack of downforce and extra weight combined with high winds and track temperatures held us back. With the midfield getting stronger, it's clear we've got work to do. Looking ahead, Austria and Silverstone should suit us much more," noted Albon.

‘Lack of downforce’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24841

Alpine seeking to scupper Williams F1’s Sainz pursuit
    24 Jun 2024
    Dan Lawrence
    Motorsport Week

Motorsport Week sources revealed that the Spaniard was on the eve of signing for the Grove-based Williams F1 outfit during the Spanish GP weekend, but it is understood any potential deal has been delayed for the time being. However, Motorsport.com reported on Monday that Alpine has made an 11th-hour attempt to lure Sainz back to Enstone with the Spaniard last driving for the team in 2018 during its Renault days.

‘11th-hour attempt’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...sainz-pursuit/

Williams prepare for Carlos Sainz rejection with surprise ‘Plan B’ driver option – report
    26 Jun 2024
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Aston Martin reserve driver Felipe Drugovich could emerge as the “favourite” to race for Williams in F1 2025 if the team fail to land “number-one target” Carlos Sainz, it has been claimed.

While Williams remains Sainz’s most likely destination, a report by Swiss-German publication Blick has claimed Drugovich – as well as current Sauber driver Valtteri Bottas – could emerge as a serious contender to replace Logan Sargeant if a deal for Sainz cannot be completed.

‘Plan B’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/carlos...ne-bid-rumours

‘We hear’: James Vowles has ruled out Williams move for 43-race driver for being too slow
    25 June 2024
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Journalist Christian Nimmervoll was writing in Motorsport Total and shared one driver who isn’t in contention to replace the American. Writing about the options available to James Vowles and who he’s considering beyond Sainz, Nimmervoll said: “We hear he doesn’t want Esteban Ocon (not enough of a team player for his taste) and Mick Schumacher (too slow). “Plan B would most likely be Valtteri Bottas.”

‘Ruled out’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/jam...eing-too-slow/

Logan Sargeant linked with Indycar move for 2025
    JUNE 24, 2024
    GrandPrix.com

Logan Sargeant looks set to be the next Formula 1 driver to make the shift to America's top open wheeler series, Indycar.

‘Indycar move’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/logan...-for-2025.html

F1 Rumor: Logan Sargeant Exit Announcement Expected Imminently As Driver Signs New Contract
    Jun 25, 2024
    Lydia Mee
    Sports Contributing Writer
    Newsweek

Speculation about Sargeant's move has been fueled further by comments from respected motor racing writer and author Jeroen Demmendaal, who noted, as quoted by GrandPrix.com: "Sargeant will most likely end up in the US-based series next year."

The switch to IndyCar would see Sargeant joining an illustrious list of former F1 drivers like Marcus Ericsson, Alexander Rossi, Romain Grosjean, and Takuma Sato, who have found new challenges and successes in the American series.

‘Logan Sargeant Exit’;

https://www.newsweek.com/sports/form...6971?piano_t=1

Five Austrian GP questions: Carlos Sainz twist, McLaren v Red Bull and big track changes.
    Formula 1 heads to Austria for Red Bull’s home race but will they get the better of McLaren?
    27 Jun 2024
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Will track changes stop a repeat of 2023 Austrian GP? An obvious place to start is with the track itself and some major changes at Turns 9 and 10. For those of you who don’t remember last year, there was a somewhat farcical scene post race in which an Aston Martin protest led to 1,200 incidents of alleged breaches of track limits being investigated by the stewards.

McLaren and Red Bull to fight for first? From the evidence of recent races, McLaren and Red Bull are tussling for dominance at the front of the grid.
    What happened to RB? Heading into Spain, RB were on the up and with major upgrades on the car, that momentum was expected to continue in Catalunya.

Can Oscar Piastri bounce back? Lando Norris may have enjoyed a good weekend out in Spain but his team-mate Oscar Piastri found life very tough going.
    Have Alpine pulled off a Carlos Sainz hijack? Ask anyone in the paddock in Spain, including the extra Netflix film crew that arrived, and they would have guessed that an announcement regarding Carlos Sainz’s future was to be made that weekend.

‘Five Austrian GP questions’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/fi...-oscar-piastri

Austrian Grand Prix: F1 preview, times, predictions, stats
    Jun 26, 2024
    ESPN

Who's going to win? McLaren and Lando Norris should have won in Spain and they will be the strongest bet to challenge Max Verstappen in Austria, given the car's strength in high-speed corners.

Mercedes and Ferrari will also fancy their chances at the short circuit which always throws up tight qualifying sessions and overtaking opportunities. You can't fault Red Bull for consistency, and that is exactly what McLaren, Mercedes and Ferrari need, along with fewer mistakes and a cleaner race to really take the fight to Red Bull, and what a place to do it at their home circuit at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria.

‘F1 preview’;

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/4...hing-need-know

Eight potential winners: will 2024 Austrian GP deliver the best F1 sprint race yet?
    June 26th 2024
    Author: Cambridge Kisby
    Motor Sport Magazine

Will we finally see a good sprint race? Can Leclerc and Sainz recover from Spanish scramble? Will AI help reduce track limit violations? And will Ferrari and RB upgrades come true on the Red Bull Ring? Here's what to watch out for at the 2024 Austrian GP

Will a brewing civil war at Ferrari prevent a title challenge? It doesn’t take much to sour the relationship between two duelling F1 team-mates, and the friction was evident after an on-track tussle between Ferrari’s drivers in Barcelona. The pair have form: Tifosi had to look away during the final laps of the 2023 Italian Grand Prix, as a battle for second almost ended in contact, and they battled ruthlessly once again at the 2024 season opener in Bahrain and the 2024 Chinese GP sprint.

Several teams including Red Bull, Ferrari, Aston Martin and RB introduced substantial upgrades at the Spanish Grand Prix — but not all of them resulted in a desired performance boost. Ferrari had hoped that its new floor, diffuser and rear wing would help put it in contention for victory but from qualifying to the chequered flag, neither Leclerc or Sainz could make any sort of impression on the leading cars and ultimately took up fifth and sixth place.

‘Eight potential winners’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

Sainz expects more competitive Ferrari F1 car in Austria GP
    Ferrari hopes the Red Bull Ring suits its Formula 1 car better after being fourth in the pecking order in Spain
    Jun 26, 2024
    Filip Cleeren
    Motorsport.com

Sainz admitted Ferrari was fourth-fastest in his home race, but said Barcelona's layout punished Ferrari's long corner weakness more than other circuits will do, expecting to be more competitive this weekend at the Red Bull Ring. "It was not our best weekend, but this was the track where we struggled the most last year too," Sainz said.

"So that's our hope, that it's just a [bad] track for us and that there will be other tracks where we will be a bit more competitive. It's the high-speed nature of the track and the long, combined [corners], we seem to be always struggling when it's long corners like China, here or Suzuka.”

"I remember Austria not being an issue for track characteristics, so I think we will be more competitive because of the corner types." Team boss Fred Vasseur felt that Barcelona's pecking order didn't necessarily set a trend for the remaining races before the summer break, with the tight margins between the top four teams causing bigger fluctuations than in previous years.

‘Ferrari hopes the Red Bull Ring suits its Formula 1 car’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...a-gp/10627530/

Marko fears Red Bull Austrian GP 'tough time'
    Red Bull could be in for a very challenging Austrian Grand Prix, according to its advisor.
    27 June 2024
    Daan Daniels & Nick Golding
    RacingNews365

Red Bull advisor Dr. Helmut Marko fears that the Milton Keynes-based team could be in for a "tough time" this weekend at the Austrian Grand Prix, due to the sprint format. It was, of course, the 2023 Austrian GP where McLaren introduced its significant upgrades package, which started its current rise to the top of F1.

Not only does Red Bull need to manage the threat of Norris in particular, it also has to deal with the sprint format that tends to cause issues for Verstappen and Sergio Perez this season. "Another challenge awaits us," continued Marko. "Max always has a chance to win, but we are running a sprint weekend there and that means we only have one session to tune the car. The last few races we have always needed all three practice sessions to get the car balanced, so if this problem persists, we could be in for a tough time.”

And last year McLaren's resurgence took shape at the Red Bull Ring. They brought their upgrade there and from then on they were fast. But Max drives practically flawless, thank God Lando can't do that yet. But he remains our biggest rival. So I hope Mercedes gets stronger and becomes the second strongest team for a while. That would definitely help us in the championship."

“We could be in for a tough time”;

https://racingnews365.com/marko-fear...-gp-tough-time

What is the weather forecast for the 2024 Austrian Grand Prix?
    26 Jun 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

FRIDAY, JUNE 28 – FP1 AND SPRINT QUALIFYING
    Conditions: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower or two in the late afternoon. Hot conditions with a high of around 28°C. Light easterly wind. FP1: 25°C // SQ: 27°C
    Maximum temperature expected: 28 Celsius
    Minimum temperature expected: 15 Celsius
    Chance of rain: 20%

SATURDAY, JUNE 29 – SPRINT AND QUALIFYING
    Conditions: Mostly sunny and dry conditions likely all day. Hottest day of the week with up to 30°C. Light southerly wind. SPRINT: 26°C // QS: 29°C
    Maximum temperature expected: 30 Celsius
    Minimum temperature expected: 15 Celsius
    Chance of rain: less than 20%

SUNDAY, JUNE 30 – RACE WEATHER
    Conditions: Fair conditions in the morning. Showers possible in the afternoon and evening. Chance of rain is decreasing with the latest simulations. Remaining hot with up to 28°C. Gusty westerly wind during the day. RACE: 27°C.
    Maximum temperature expected: 28 Celsius
    Minimum temperature expected: 16 Celsius
    Chance of rain: 40%

‘Weather forecast’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...mSv4DuhUlPp4FJ

What time does the 2024 F1 Austrian GP start?
    From Friday, June 28th to Sunday, June 30th, the Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix will take place. This weekend features a sprint weekend format, allowing us to enjoy sprint races again. Check here for the start times of all sessions.
    27 June 2024
    RacingNews365 Staff
    RacingNews365

On Saturday, June 29th, the sprint race begins at 11:00 AM BST, followed by qualifying later at 3:00 PM BST. The race starts on Sunday, June 30th, at 2:00 PM BST.
    Do you want to view the start times of the F1 Austrian GP for your time zone? Check out the schedule below!

The schedule is automatically adjusted to your time zone.
    Timetable Austrian GP
    Session
    Date Time
    Free practice 1 Friday 28 June 12:30 - 13:30
    Sprint shootout Friday 28 June 16:30 - 17:14
    Sprintrace Saturday 29 June 12:00 - 13:00
    Qualification Saturday 29 June 16:00 - 17:00
    Race Sunday 30 June 15:00 - 17:00

‘Austrian GP start time’;

https://racingnews365.com/what-time-...trian-gp-start

2024 Austrian Grand Prix: What the Teams Have Been Saying Ahead of the Weekend.
    …with quotes from the Oracle Red Bull Racing, McLaren F1 Team, RB, Alpine, MoneyGram Haas F1 Team, Williams Racing and Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber drivers, as well the Ferrari and Mercedes team principals.
    June 27, 2024
    Joe Briley
    The Checkered Flag

Max Verstappen — Oracle Red Bull Racing: “We always feel really welcome and enjoy coming back to Austria, being a home race for Red Bull. The scenery and mountains around here are great and it is always good to see the Orange Army fans here and really feel that support from the grandstand.”
    Sergio Perez — Oracle Red Bull Racing: “I had a difficult weekend in Spain but it’s one we have learnt from. I struggled with the balance of the car all weekend. We couldn’t get the set-up consistent and in a window for qualifying or to race the race we wanted, the grid place penalty also harmed us.”

Fred Vasseur — Scuderia Ferrari: “The upgrades introduced in Spain worked as expected, but clearly our competitors have not been twiddling their thumbs, and at the moment there are four teams all within less than three tenths of one another.”
    Lando Norris — McLaren F1 Team: “I’m excited for the Austrian Grand Prix. It’s a really fun track to drive, and I have some great memories from over the years, so I am looking forward to getting out there. The fans are always enthusiastic and create a great atmosphere.”

Oscar Piastri — McLaren F1 Team: “I can’t wait to get to Austria and hit the ground running. I’m really looking forward to getting back in the car on Friday and working hard with the engineers to start the weekend on the front foot.”
    Toto Wolff — Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team: “We knew Barcelona would be a good measure of our recent progress. The team has worked hard to improve the W15 at circuits with a wide corner speed range, like Barcelona. Those incremental gains helped us build on the momentum from Montreal.”

‘What the Teams Have Been Saying’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...f-the-weekend/

Back to the softest compounds in Austria
    27 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

After drivers used the hardest compounds of Pirelli's five-compound tyre range at last weekend's Barcelona race, the Austrian Grand Prix will see the field run the three softest tyres at this weekend's Red Bull Ring round.

When defining the tyre selection for a track, Pirelli takes a lot of factors into consideration. Regarding the Red Bull Ring, several unusual features make this a unique track on the championship calendar.

First of all, it boasts the lowest number of corners (10) and the shortest lap time, even if its 4.318 kilometre length make it the fifth shortest track. The circuit owned by Red Bull is second on the list of tracks with the biggest change in altitude, with a difference of 63.5 metres between its highest and lowest points, second only to the 102.2 metre change at Spa-Francorchamps.

‘Softest compounds in Austria’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24851

Austrian GP: Thursday's buildup in pictures
    27 Jun 2024
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Reigning world champions Red Bull are playing at home this weekend at the Red Bull Ring, for round 11 of the 2024 F1 World Championship. Here is our first batch of pictures from the venue, covering from media day in Spielberg.

‘Pictures’;

https://f1i.com/news/512086-austrian...-pictures.html

What Marko's Lawson warning really means for Ricciardo
    Jun 27, 2024
    Josh Suttill, Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

'I'm the one in the car': When The Race asked him if he'd had any internal pressure to improve, Ricciardo said: "No I haven't heard anything - there hasn't been any pressure, ultimatum, nothing like that. But I've been in the sport a long time, I know if I'm getting my ass kicked every weekend, at some point someone will be like, 'Hey mate, step it up, otherwise...' But I haven't had that.”

How real is the Lawson threat? A Silverstone test in a Red Bull was critical to Horner and Red Bull deciding to axe De Vries two races before the summer break to give Ricciardo his return. So with Lawson set to complete a test in a 2022 AlphaTauri at Imola next month, is this history repeating itself? "If Liam goes and has an amazing test, 100% good for Liam. I've got no control over that nor do I wish him poorly. Not at all. Currently I'm in the race seat so I've got to do everything I can to control the things I can and if I kick ass here, if I kick ass in Silverstone then I think the narrative can change.”

No other options - but is his goal really 'void'? "I would say no," Ricciardo said when asked if he had other options. "I don't know, but not to be stubborn or arrogant about it but I'm not looking anywhere else. I've said it, I really do enjoy being back in the family. I weirdly do enjoy sometimes a little bit of pokes from Helmut, because I think it can also be a way to get me a little bit fired up and try to get the best out of me. In short, no."

'I'm the one in the car';

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/m...25-rb-f1-seat/

Williams eager to forget disastrous Barcelona weekend
    28 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Formula One's Grove-based outfit Williams hopes that it can display a significantly better performance at this weekend's Austrian Grand Prix after the team struggled for pace at Barcelona a few days ago. Sporting Director Sven Smeets hopes that this weekend's Austrian Grand Prix will see Williams return to a better performance with the Red Bull Ring expected to play to the strenghts of the FW48.

"After our disappointing result in Barcelona, we are looking to return to our performance from the races before Spain. Austria will be a sprint event again, so we won't have much time to get the car in a good window before we start Sprint Qualifying on Friday evening.”

"We will be using the softer range of compounds this weekend and both drivers know this circuit very well. It’s a track that should suit our car and, with the weather forecast still giving some chances of showers, we should be in a good position to fight for points this weekend.”

‘Eager to forget disastrous weekend’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24854

Austrian Grand Prix: FIA Drivers Press Conference
    27/06/2024
    NEWS STORY
    Pitpass

Charles, good to see you. Let's talk about performance first of all. Spain was better than Canada but how much more performance do you need from your car to challenge for the win this weekend?
    Charles Leclerc: “Well, I guess the gap that there was from us to pole position, which was two or three tenths in Barcelona. However, I feel like the potential is in the car. We just need to optimise our package and then we'll be back to where we want. We didn't do that in Montreal, especially with tyres and the conditions were a bit outside of our operating window. And then in Barcelona, we were just not fast enough. Again, the preparation on the simulator for this track went well. So I feel confident we'll be back in the fight.”

Logan, let's come to you next. Throw it back to Spain, first of all. It was a frustrating race for you and for Williams. But I think there was no surprises there. Is that the case?
    Logan Sargeant: “Yeah. I mean, Spain's always been a tricky race for us. But I'd be lying if I said it probably wasn't one of the most painful ones we've had in the past 18 months. So, I guess some understanding to do there of what exactly went wrong on the car, what was causing the lack of performance. But even more painful for me, the bits that were brought to the car were underperforming and not delivering the expected load of downforce, so yeah, we'll try and get that fixed but that didn't help things either.”

Zhou, let's come to you now. We saw a much better qualifying performance from you in Spain. Both cars were running new parts, but you were also running an old chassis. What made the difference for you?
    Zhou Guanyu: “I mean, I feel like it's the chassis. You know, we had a new one put in the car from Imola. And for me, of course, we have to understand the circumstance with the different layout on the tracks, you know, Imola, Monaco, Montreal, super bumpy. I don't think it's a strength with this year's car. But mainly on my side, I was very lost before Spain just because I wasn't able to push the car around, you know, in the weekend I had in Canada. Everything I do, every movement, I just really felt has a much bigger impact on the balance and also on the driving side. So we decided to change everything back to the old one. And it seems to be picking up the performance we should be or having the grip, the confidence that I have with this car. So, yeah, really happy to see the progress went into the right direction. And then, looking forward, of course, to these tracks, I think they could be suitable a little bit better for this year's car.”

‘FIA Drivers Press Conference’;

https://www.pitpass.com/78062/Austri...ess-Conference

FP1: Verstappen bounces back from stoppage to lead Piastri in Austrian GP practice.
    Red Bull driver Max Verstappen topped the timesheets during Friday’s sole practice session ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix, overcoming a mid-session problem that saw him stop out on track to lead the way from McLaren rival Oscar Piastri and the two Ferraris.
    28 June 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen topped the timesheets during Friday’s sole practice session ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix, overcoming a mid-session problem that saw him stop out on track to lead the way from McLaren rival Oscar Piastri and the two Ferraris. Aiming to build on their recent improvements, Mercedes hit the ground running to set the early pace with hard-shod efforts from Lewis Hamilton and George Russell, while the medium-shod Red Bulls of Verstappen and Sergio Perez slotted behind them.

However, at the halfway mark of the session, Verstappen dramatically ground to a halt along the start/finish straight with an “engine fault”, bringing out the red flags and initially raising some questions after he moved onto his fourth power unit last time out in Spain. Then, after his car rolled back down the hill and was moved to the pit lane, Red Bull managed to hit the reset button and send Verstappen back out, meaning the reigning world champion could rack up more mileage and avoid entering Sprint Qualifying lacking data.

The final 10 minutes of the session brought a flurry of laps on soft tyres, after which Verstappen set the standard on a 1m 05.685s, a couple of tenths up on Piastri, with Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz following in P3 and P4 for Ferrari. Mercedes dropped down the timesheets, but Hamilton went against the majority of his rivals by sticking with hards, rather than moving to softs, while Russell hit traffic through the middle sector – leaving the pair fifth and eighth respectively.

‘FP1: Verstappen bounces back’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...7AD05ikXit0ktS

Austrian GP: Free Practice 1 Results
    Full results from Free Practice 1 from the Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix at Red Bull Ring.
    28 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Free Practice 1 from the Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix at Red Bull Ring.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps Best Diff

1 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 27 1:05.685

2 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 32 1:05.961 0.276

3 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 30 1:06.055 0.370

4 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 30 1:06.128 0.443

5 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 39 1:06.254 0.569

6 31 Esteban Ocon Alpine 29 1:06.297 0.612

7 18 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 26 1:06.384 0.699

8 63 George Russell Mercedes 31 1:06.386 0.701

9 22 Yuki Tsunoda RB 29 1:06.579 0.894

10 14 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 29 1:06.603 0.918

‘Free Practice 1 Results’;

https://speedcafe.com/austrian-gp-fr...ice-1-results/

Austrian GP: ‘Engine issue’ pauses Max Verstappen’s run but he still tops FP1
    28 Jun 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen came back from a brief engine stoppage, said to be the result of a sensor issue, to top FP1 for the Austrian Grand Prix. At a time when Verstappen is facing a potential engine grid penalty, a glitch during FP1 saw him come to a stop on the main straight but, pushed back into the pits, he was back on track just a few minutes later.

20 minutes into the session it was still Russell v Hamilton v Verstappen for the top spot with Hamilton then coming through with a 1:06.254 to set the pace. And surprisingly, Race Control had yet to announce a single lost lap time because of track limits after the race organisers laid gravel down on the outside of the turns.

The final 10 minutes saw the traditional soft tyre runs, Lance Stroll up to second place, Tsunoda P4 and the Stake team-mates into the top ten. The top four teams though, had yet to make the swap. Charles Leclerc, who had been languishing in P8, went fastest but lost out to Verstappen while traffic hampered Russell and Norris went flying off the track having gone purple in the first sector.

‘Engine issue’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/austri...024-fp1-report

Verstappen recovers from glitch to lead practice
    28 Jun 2024
    Phillip Horton
    Motorsport Week

Verstappen moved to the front on a time of 1:05.685s to finish the session a sizeable 0.276s clear of McLaren driver’s Oscar Piastri. Piastri’s McLaren team-mate Lando Norris had clocked the fastest first sector but scuppered his prospects with an error into Turn 4, leaving him down in 13th position.

Mercedes had sat atop the timesheets before the late flurry of times on Soft tyres, but George Russell had a scrappy Turn 1 and then encountered traffic, while Lewis Hamilton remained on the Hard tyres. Hamilton finished the session in fifth spot with Russell down in eighth.

Ferrari finished in third and fourth respectively, with Charles Leclerc in front of Carlos Sainz, while Esteban Ocon and newly re-signed Aston Martin driver Lance Stroll split the Mercedes pair. RB’s Yuki Tsunoda and Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso rounded out the top 10.

‘Verstappen recovers from glitch’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...lead-practice/

Verstappen tops single Austrian GP practice after early scare
    28 Jun 2024
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Max Verstappen recovered from a mid-session engine scare to top Friday’s single practice for the Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring. The Red Bull driver edged McLaren’s Oscar Piastri by a comfortable 0.276s while Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz were third and fourth.

While Verstappen was the first driver to hit the track, Russell and Hamilton laid down the early markers, the Mercedes pair initiating their session on the hard tyre while the Dutchman was shod with the medium rubber. A taste of the potential chaos for today's sprint qualifying surfaced early on in FP1 when Leclerc got caught behind Nico Hulkenberg at Turn 4. Leclerc eventually found a way past, but the incident underlined the potential challenges drivers will encounter in this afternoon’s condensed qualifying session.

Verstappen, whose session appeared compromised at one moment, thus concluded FP1 at the top, the Red Bull driver edging Piastri by 0.276s. Leclerc, Sainz and Hamilton - who did not complete a qualifying sim on the soft tyre - rounded off the top five with Alpine’s Esteban Ocon concluding his session a creditable P6, ahead of Aston’s Lance Stroll, Russell, Rb’s Yuki Tsunoda and Fernando Alonso who completed the top-ten.

‘Incident underlined the potential challenges’;

https://f1i.com/news/512160-verstapp...rly-scare.html

Max Verstappen recovers from stoppage to top only Austrian GP practice
    Max Verstappen recovers from FP1 setback to top the only practice session at the F1 Austrian Grand Prix.
    28 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Max Verstappen recovered from a brief on-track stoppage to set the pace in the only practice session at the F1 Austrian Grand Prix. The reigning world champion appeared to be in trouble when his Red Bull conked out at the bottom of the hill on the run up to Turn 1, but he was able to roll his RB20 back to marshals, who pushed him back into the pitlane under a red flag.

Whatever the issue was proved to only be minor, as Red Bull were able to send him back out onto the circuit almost straight away. Verstappen went on to produce the fastest lap of the session with a 1m05.685s on soft tyres, leaving him 0.276s clear of McLaren’s Oscar Piastri.

The Ferrari’s of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz ended up third and fourth, nearly four tenths behind Verstappen. Lewis Hamilton spent much of FP1 at the top of the leaderboard, with the seven-time world champion only half a second adrift having set his best lap on hard tyres.

Top only Austrian GP practice’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105125...an-gp-practice

Austrian GP: Max Verstappen claims pole as Charles Leclerc fumbles in Sprint Qualy.
    Max Verstappen dominated Sprint Qualifying for the Austrian Grand Prix, the Red Bull driver quickest in every session on his way to yet another pole position.
    28 Jun 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen puts his RB20 on pole position: None of the top ten were in a rush to venture out in SQ3, a session in which they all have to use soft tyres but they can choose between news or used. As the clock ticked down on the session it was evident that all the drivers intended to do just one run, the big question was who would go first?

Russell was the first man out, Hamilton stuck to his team-mate’s rear wing. Mercedes telling their drivers that it could be “tight” for some drivers to a set time such was their loitering. Leclerc ran into trouble, seemingly unable to leave the pits before getting going, but with 1:18 on the clock, he was in a race to start a flying lap.

Norris posted his best time of the day to jump up into provisional pole but then came Verstappen with a 1:04.686. That put him 0.093s up on the McLaren driver. Piastri qualified third. Meanwhile Leclerc wasn’t able to complete a flying lap as he didn’t cross the line in time. He’ll line up P10.

‘Max Verstappen claims pole as Charles Leclerc fumbles’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/austri...oot-out-report

Austrian GP: Sprint Shootout Results
    Full results from the Sprint Shootout from the Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix at Red Bull Ring.
    29 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from the Sprint Shootout from the Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix at Red Bull Ring.

Pos Num Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Diff

1 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:05.690 1:05.186 1:04.686

2 4 Lando Norris McLaren 1:05.786 1:05.561 1:04.779 0.093

3 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:06.081 1:05.379 1:04.987 0.301

4 63 George Russell Mercedes 1:05.764 1:05.325 1:05.054 0.368

5 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:05.781 1:05.435 1:05.126 0.440

6 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:06.504 1:05.539 1:05.270 0.584

7 11 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing 1:06.256 1:05.612 1:06.008 1.322

8 31 Esteban Ocon Alpine 1:06.343 1:05.686 1:06.101 1.415

9 10 Pierre Gasly Alpine 1:06.465 1:05.757 1:06.624 1.938

10 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:06.149 1:05.526

‘Full results from the Sprint Shootout’;

https://speedcafe.com/austrian-gp-sp...otout-results/

Austrian Grand Prix: F1 Sprint Qualifying Results
    29 June 2024
    James Fiorucci
    FormulaNerds

SQ3: The remaining ten drivers could now use the Soft tyre for the all-important final part of Sprint Qualifying: SQ3. Well over half of the eight-minute session passed without any action out of the pits, they would only have a single flying lap to try for pole position. Leclerc encountered trouble in the pitlane and came to a stop, and he subsequently ran out of time to set a flying lap.
    Leclerc has pulled up in the pit lane, something's wrong ��#F1Sprint #AustrianGP pic.twitter.com/ZDCi8Fkt0l
    — Formula 1 (@F1) June 28, 2024

Both Mercedes were the first to make their mark, with Russell ahead of Hamilton with a 1:05.054. Lap times came in one after another, but in the end it was Verstappen who claimed his career eighth Sprint pole with a 1:04.686 lap time. Norris claimed second position just under a tenth behind while Piastri was P3.
    MAX VERSTAPPEN TAKES POLE FOR SATURDAY'S #F1SPRINT ��#F1 #AustrianGP pic.twitter.com/EDCRAjMHiv
    — Formula 1 (@F1) June 28, 2024

‘F1 Sprint Qualifying Results’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/au...fying-results/

Lewis Hamilton fumes at 'disastrous' Austrian GP session with damning three-word verdict
    Lewis Hamilton let his frustrations come to the fore after the sprint shootout at the Austrian Grand Prix.
    Fri, Jun 28, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Lewis Hamilton was frustrated with his sprint shootout performance. Lewis Hamilton was left to rue what he described as 'very bad laps' after finishing sixth in the sprint shootout at the Austrian Grand Prix on Friday.

'Very bad laps';

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ian-Grand-Prix

Max Verstappen narrowly beats Lando Norris to Austrian GP sprint pole
    Max Verstappen edges Lando Norris to pole position for the Austrian Grand Prix sprint race.
    28 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Max Verstappen narrowly beat Lando Norris to claim pole position for the F1 Austrian Grand Prix sprint race. It looked as though Norris had done enough to take pole in what turned out to be a one-lap shootout in SQ3, but Red Bull’s Verstappen produced a marginally quicker lap to pip his rival by just 0.093s. It marks championship leader Verstappen's sixth straight pole at the Red Bull Ring.

The second McLaren of Oscar Piastri was third-fastest, three-tenths slower than Verstappen. George Russell ended up fourth while Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz split the Mercedes duo, with seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton sixth.

‘Max Verstappen edges Lando Norris’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105130...gp-sprint-pole

Max Verstappen clinches Austrian GP Sprint pole on Red Bull homecoming
    The Dutchman was fastest again as he clinched pole position for Saturday's F1 Sprint race at the Red Bull Ring
    28 June 2024
    Joe Krishnan
    Total Motorsport

The championship leader had the edge over his rivals in FP1 and continued his form by qualifying ahead of the two McLarens of Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri. Behind them was George Russell in fourth, with Carlos Sainz fifth and Lewis Hamilton sixth ahead of Sergio Perez.

Disaster struck for Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, who lost drive as he made his way out of the pits and ran out of time to set a lap. He will start in P10 behind Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly. At Red Bull’s home race, Verstappen would have been keen to flex his muscles and the Dutchman went less than tenth quicker than Russell in SQ1.

‘At Red Bull’s home race’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/max...-lando-norris/

F1 - 2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Friday Press Conference Transcript
    TEAM REPRESENTATIVES: Mike KRACK (Aston Martin), Mario ISOLA (Pirelli), Christian HORNER (Red Bull Racing), Peter BAYER (RB)
    FIA (Press Release)

Q: Mike, can we start with you, please? Let's talk about the big news from yesterday. You've confirmed Lance Stroll into the new era with the team, which keeps the same driver line up at Aston Martin for the third consecutive season. Explain your thinking behind that?
    Mike KRACK: “Well, I think for many weeks I said we want continuity, stability and continuity. I think it's very important for a team, especially heading into a new regulation set. And we're quite happy that we have quite a mature line-up on the track. We know who our main opponents are and they are certainly not the other green car. So that is something that we have seen over the past years. They work very well together, pushing in the same direction. So we always wanted to do it like that. And obviously at this stage and throughout the season, I think the drivers was not our main problem. So we are quite happy that we have done this now and get some more calm into this situation.”

Q:. Christian, coming to you now, can we just start by dealing with FP1? What was Max's brief issue?
    Christian HORNER: “It was a sensor issue. We were fortunate that the car actually came to a stop on the pit straight close to a junction in the pit wall to be able to recover the car. And then it was a question of resetting the sensor and getting going again. So, yeah, I was fortunate because it would have been disastrous to lose that track time, particularly on a Sprint weekend.”

Q: Well, Peter, perhaps we could bring you in on this. Can we get your take on the job that Daniel has done and whether you think he deserves to see out the season in your team?
    Peter BAYER: “Well, he certainly has helped us tremendously. Looking back last year when he joined the team, he brought a whole new energy and spirit into the team. And he has been extremely helpful in supporting Yuki. Yuki has just stated that very recently, actually, that he still keeps learning from Daniel. And it's part of our job, also as a mission from the shareholders, to develop drivers. And that's what we currently do. But certainly, as Christian said, this is about performance. We do luckily have a couple of options with the junior programme, but we're also not in a hurry to take a decision for next year's line-up. We've confirmed Yuki, which was very important for us. And the focus currently, honestly, as you can tell, is on the car and to go into the summer break and have a quiet discussion.”

‘Press Conference Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-aus...nce-transcript