Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    ‘He knows what’s at stake’ – Horner backs Perez to find his form after ‘horrible’ weekend in Canada.
    “You see this with Checo time and time again, you think he’s on the ropes and then he bounces back,” continued Horner. “He’s a tough racer, a tough character. It hurts him more than anyone else and he’ll be determined to come back and show everybody the form we know he’s capable of and the form he showed in the first four races of the year.”
    13 June 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

“It was a horrible weekend for Checo and we’ve picked up some damage so he’ll need to come back strong in Barcelona,” Christian Horner said afterwards. “Thankfully Ferrari had a shocker today and didn’t pick up any points so that let us off the hook somewhat. But we need both cars scoring, we got away with it today, but we need Checo back to where he was at the beginning of the year from Barcelona onwards.”

“The margins are fine – he knows what’s at stake, we need him performing at the top of his game. The constructors’, we have three teams that are nipping at our heels, and you have to be firing on all cylinders.” As Horner said, with Ferrari failing to score in Canada, Red Bull actually increased their margin in the constructors’ championship to 49 points thanks to Verstappen’s win.

‘He knows what’s at stake’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...T5DAinrWDozbRe

Perez does not care criticism, he solely focuses on his job
    10:14 Wed, 12 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

The Mexican finds himself currently in exactly such a tough period as he failed to make the cut into Q3 in three consecutive races in Imola, Monaco and Montreal. Despite his recent struggles, Red Bull elected to extend his contract by a further two years which will see Perez race for the Milton Keynes-based outfit until at least the end of the 2026 F1 season.

"Well, I think in Formula 1, there are always different agendas, and I really get that. It's something that has been with every driver since we got in the sport. And I think the best thing to do is just to close the visor and focus on my job, do the best for myself, for my career. And at the end of the day, when my career is finished, it's the only thing that will matter to me.”

"What people have to say or not… I mean, I appreciate that everyone has their opinion, but at the end of the day, I'm here to do the best for my career and I'm happy with what I have achieved."

‘Perez… …he solely focuses on his job’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24728

Horner expecting Perez to bounce back after ‘horrible weekend’ in Canada
    16:38 Tue, 11 Jun 2024
    Caitlyn Gordon
    FormulaNerds

Perez looks to bounce back. Despite the recent difficulties, Perez remains confident and believes he will regain his form in the coming weeks: “Yeah, we lost some momentum obviously in the season, but I’m also very positive that there is a long season ahead and that we will get our form back.” He said to F1. “I will be working really hard in the coming weeks with the team to make sure that we are back to that form.” Perez concluded.

What happened in Canada? Despite his history of producing some incredible recovery drives, Canada was not one of them. The first incident took place on the opening lap when Perez came in contact with Pierre Gasly, though he left the scene unscathed, he struggled to move up the pecking order. On lap 53, he lost control of his RB20, damaging his rear wing. He limped back to the pits, leaving pieces of carbon fibre around the circuit before retiring for the second consecutive weekend. Adding to his woes, the stewards issued a penalty for the incident, handing the No.11 driver a three-place grid penalty for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Horner gives his thoughts. After a weekend to forget for the Mexican, team principal, Christian Horner issued his thoughts on the ‘horrible’ weekend his driver faced. “That was a horrible weekend for Checo and obviously he picked up some damage, so he’ll need to come back strong in Barcelona.” He said to Sky Sports.

‘Horrible weekend’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ho...end-in-canada/

Sergio Perez ‘not that bad’ – Support emerges amid nightmare F1 run
    15 Jun 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Former Bridgestone competition chief Kees van de Grint has leapt to the defence of the struggling Sergio Perez… “It might be a bit of a dead giveaway, but it’s clear that Perez is going through a valley at the moment,” van de Grint told RacingNews365.com.

“First of all, it’s very close. In the past, you were 16th because you were two seconds or even more too slow. But now we are talking about hundredths and tenths of a second. Perez is not doing well at the moment, that’s clear, but that is also not a reflection of how he is as a driver. He can do better. You can say a lot about team boss Christian Horner, but not that he doesn’t have a view or doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

“Horner will have weighed a number of other behind-the-scenes factors besides Perez’s driving ability, such as calmness in the team and the commercial background. But he will not have made that choice if he thinks, ‘This guy can’t do anything’. This is bad luck and it gives food for thought, but Perez is not that bad.”

‘Support emerges’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio...s-van-de-grint

Marko makes Hamilton comparison after Perez penalty
    Dr. Helmut Marko has addressed Sergio Perez's three-place grid penalty for the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix.
    12 June 2024
    Jan van der Burgt & Nick Golding
    RacingNews365

Red Bull advisor Dr. Helmut Marko has revealed that the outfit "can live" with Sergio Perez's Spanish Grand Prix grid penalty after driving a heavily damaged car last weekend in the Canadian Grand Prix. Perez will take a three-place grid penalty into next weekend's race at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, following an incident which saw him continue driving a car with "serious mechanical difficulties". Camera hid true damage. With McLaren, Ferrari and now Mercedes having a car capable of competing with the RB20, Perez's grid penalty could have a huge impact in Barcelona.

Perez will start no higher than fourth on the grid and that can only be achieved by claiming pole position, an unlikely feat based on his recent qualifying record. However, Marko insists Red Bull can cope with its punishment and has revealed that the Milton Keynes-based side were unable to view the full extent of Perez's damage. "We can live with that penalty imposed," Marko told OE24.

"With the camera setup we had at our disposal, we couldn't see from the pit lane how much Checo's car was really damaged. At that point, we wanted him to continue as long as possible, because this was a Grand Prix where anything was possible." Marko went on to note that Red Bull could never have known how much debris would fall of Perez's car and pointed out that Lewis Hamilton won the 2020 British Grand Prix with a completely delaminated tyre. "Others have driven around with more dangling parts," Marko added. "Lewis Hamilton once won at Silverstone on three wheels."

‘Hamilton comparison after Perez penalty’;

https://racingnews365.com/marko-make...-perez-penalty

‘Strange there was no penalty then’ – Marko recalls Hamilton’s 2020 British GP win after Perez penalty
    13 Jun 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Helmut Marko says it’s “strange” Lewis Hamilton wasn’t penalised when he completed the final lap of the 2020 British GP on three wheels but Sergio Perez was in Canada. Hamilton suffered a puncture on the final lap of the 2020 British Grand Prix, his front left tyre shreading pieces of rubber as he completed the final lap to win the race ahead of Max Verstappen. Told to “stop” by Mercedes after crossing the line for the victory, Hamilton’s race engineer reiterated he was to stop the car as it “was dangerous.”

Marko finds it “strange” that Hamilton was not penalised then but Perez was in Canada. “Three places back for Perez on the Spanish grid because he brought his damaged car into the pits instead of putting it aside in Montreal,” Marko wrote in his Speedweek column. “I think that’s too harsh a punishment, because in a race with changeover conditions, you have to bring your car back, especially when it’s not immediately clear what the damage looks like.”

“Perez’s rear-view mirrors were dirty and he couldn’t see what the rear looked like. We, on the other hand, could see from the data that the suspension was OK. Of course we try to bring the car back and, ideally, be able to fight for points again. The race stewards then announced that parts of his car had fallen off. But hey there! I remember Lewis Hamilton once crossing the finish line on three wheels at Silverstone and winning. Strange there was no penalty then.”

“Strange there was no penalty then”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut...canada-penalty

Sargeant reflects on Canada: ‘Very disappointed in myself’.
    After his impressive qualifying performance on Saturday, which saw him start P13 for the Canadian Grand Prix, Logan Sargeant's progress in Montreal was destroyed on race day
    June 11, 2024
    Rhiannon Temporal
    FormulaNerds

The Canadian Grand Prix appeared to hold much promise for Williams’ Logan Sargeant. A strong performance in qualifying saw him line up in P13. However, the American driver’s progress was soon destroyed in the early stages of the race. Initially, the 2023 rookie bumped the wall on lap seven but could continue with very little damage.

But, on lap 25, he suffered a race-finishing hit, bringing out the safety car. Considering the tricky conditions had lingered all weekend, it is a shame Sargeant’s weekend ended the way it did. Following the chequered flag, the Williams driver expressed his regret regarding the final result of his race. He said:

“It was tricky [conditions], obviously not the way I wanted it to go, just not good enough, too many mistakes. Two very punishing ones. For sure, very disappointed with myself after feeling like I was driving great this weekend, so move on and just look ahead.”

‘Very disappointed in myself’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/sa...ted-in-myself/

2024 Canadian Grand Prix: Logan Sargeant crashes out in Montreal
    19:06 Mon, 10 Jun 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Williams driver Logan Sargeant spins into the barrier at Turn 4 bringing out the Safety Car on Lap 24 and ending his involvement in the 2024 Canadian Grand Prix.

‘Crashes out’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...71151407304556

‘Enough is enough’: Guenther Steiner shares when he thinks Williams will part ways with Logan Sargeant
    Sun 16 June 2024 08:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

The future of Logan Sargeant at Williams is going to be closely monitored after several events since the beginning of the Canadian Grand Prix race weekend that haven’t gone his way. The young American is in his second season in Formula 1 but his current record doesn’t suggest that he’s destined for a long and storied career in the sport.

Logan Sargeant’s Formula 1 career on very thin ice Asked when he thinks Williams will pull the plug on Sargeant, Steiner said: “I think at the end of the year.” Pressed on why they wouldn’t replace him with someone like Kimi Antonelli before then, he added: “I don’t know how the contract is phrased, I mean there’s a lot of stuff going on there that we don’t know.”

“First of all, you always try to work with the people you’ve got. You need to show in a team that you try your best. Obviously, at some stage, enough is enough, it’s like, ‘Why are we doing this?’ I think it will go to the end, I think if he’s got a few more [races] like this [in Canada] before the summer break, after the summer break maybe there’s somebody else in the cockpit. And I think it will go altogether with who is going to drive the car next year.”

“I think at the end of the year”;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/gue...ogan-sargeant/

Logan Sargeant already ‘knows’ about Williams exit after ‘stupid mistakes’, claims Montoya
    18 Jun 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Although Williams have not officially told Logan Sargeant he’s out and that Carlos Sainz is in, Juan Pablo Montoya says he knows it and it is time to start looking outside of F1 for a 2025 race seat.

Former McLaren driver Montoya reckons the American knows his days are numbered. “He already knows, although they haven’t officially told him yet that he will no longer stay with the team,” the Colombian told W Radio Colombia.

“The moment they tell him: ‘Look, thank you very much for the past years, we gave you the opportunity, but it didn’t work, what a shame’, they can also tell him to relax and focus on his future. Then Logan will relax a lot more, he will no longer fight for that seat and it will be really difficult for him to stay in Formula 1.”

‘Already knows’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/logan-...ws-exit-sealed

‘Clearly stated’: What Williams staff are now saying about Logan Sargeant amid Carlos Sainz interest
    Wed 19 June 2024 09:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Logan Sargeant is a man under serious pressure on the Formula 1 grid with his performance in every session being heavily scrutinised. Sargeant does appear to be on his way out of the team with Carlos Sainz potentially in line to replace him. However, staff at Williams have been pleasantly surprised by the step forward Sargeant has taken this year. It’s unlikely to be enough to save him but suggests he has made some improvements that may have gone unnoticed among his mistakes.

Logan Sargeant still has the support of Williams staff amid Kimi Antonelli rumours. The news that the FIA is willing to reduce the age required to earn a Super License under special circumstances to 17 would not have gone down well within the Sargeant camp. It’s almost certainly aimed at Kimi Antonelli who has been linked with replacing Sargeant in the coming weeks.

Williams use Mercedes’s power units and have previously loaned George Russell from Toto Wolff’s outfit to aid his development as a driver. If Williams need a stop-gap before Sainz’s potential arrival in 2025, Antonelli may be the man to end Sargeant’s current spell in F1.

‘Pleasantly surprised by the step forward Sargeant has taken this year’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/wha...ainz-interest/

F1 star "already knows" his career is ending as team prepares to swing axe
    There is still plenty yet to be decided this year with the F1 driver market particularly volatile, but time certainly looks to be almost up for Logan Sargeant who has struggled to perform for Williams
    19 June 2024
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Williams consider Carlos Sainz to be their top target to race alongside Albon next year, though the Spaniard has other options. As for Sargeant, team principal James Vowles has called upon the American to show more in the coming months - even though his fate seems to be all but sealed.

Vowles said: "I think there's no doubt, second year of running, and you are now seeing the confidence start to build as a result of it, and there is performance there. We also haven't had the cars in the same spec for a period of time. Some of that's still due to the earlier damage that we're building up to, some of that is because we pulled forward upgrades, and there was simply not enough to put across two cars.”

"He is continuously evolving as an individual, as I hope he would be in that circumstance. Is he where I need him to be target-wise? And that's the big question of things. We need more from him, really, to be able to save his seat in that sort of circumstance."

"Already knows";

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...sainz-33060798

F1 star told his career is over after 'a lot of stupid mistakes'
    Logan Sargeant is expected to be dropped by Williams and the American has been told to 'relax and focus on his future' as a result.
    Jun 19, 2024
    By Charlie Parker-Turner
    Daily and Sunday Express

Logan Sargeant has been advised to brace himself for a future outside of Formula One with Williams reportedly planning to drop the underperforming American driver. Former F1 star Juan Pablo Montoya believes it's time for Sargeant to come to terms with the fact that his F1 career may be over. Montoya suggested that Sargeant should explore other options, saying: "If I were him, I would first talk to everyone to see whether there is interest from another team.

Montoya suggested that Sargeant should explore other options, saying: "If I were him, I would first talk to everyone to see whether there is interest from another team. "But I would also start looking at IndyCar, WEC and other options for next year. He's had a tough time and it's difficult. If you look at his performance in F3 and F2, he was very good. It's sad because if you ask Albon, he will say Sargeant is very fast, he does very well, but he makes a lot of stupid mistakes."

‘Eexpected to be dropped’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...geant-Williams

Weight Crisis at Williams F1: Alex Albon Opens Up About The Challenge Slowing The Team Down.
    As the 2024 Formula 1 season unfolds, Williams Racing continues to battle significant challenges with their car's weight, according to driver Alex Albon.
    17:05 Sun, 16 Jun 2024
    By Alex Harrington
    Sports Contributing Writer
    Newsweek

Despite efforts to lighten the chassis, the Williams FW46 remains notably heavy, which has severely impacted its performance on the track. Albon's insights offer a candid look into the ongoing struggles faced by the Grove squad as they work through the season's early races. The Thai-British driver expressed the difficulty of addressing these challenges publicly, especially before Williams team boss James Vowles acknowledged the issue.

"It was hard because you guys were asking me what the difference was with last year's car, and I was telling you it's better, but we were running around in P19 and P20. I kind of had to bite my lip a little bit, but it was mostly down to it," Albon shared. "There are still things in our car that we need to improve, I'm not denying that, but it was always very hard to answer your questions."

"We're still overweight and by a good amount. Monaco I think is the least sensitive to weight and Canada is the fourth least sensitive to weight, so good tracks. Barcelona goes the other way, so we just need to make the most of these moments until the weight does come out of the car. There's a big push to try to get it on weight before the end of the season, but it is going to be tough."

‘Weight Crisis’;

https://www.newsweek.com/sports/form...3393?piano_t=1

Albon forced to bottle up frustrations over heavy Williams
    12:20 Mon, 17 Jun 2024
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

A frustrated Alex Albon says he had to bite his lip and downplay the limitations of Williams’ F1 car as the team worked on a solution to the FW46’s overweight problem. Production delays plagued the team during the off-season, resulting in a car that was considerably overweight. Albon isn’t expecting fireworks at the high-downforce Circuit de Catalunya this week, but the 28-year-old is hoping for a bit more consistency.

"Barcelona will just be about trying to optimise our car,” he explained. ”It's max downforce, which is similar to Monaco, so our big rear wing works quite well. It's quite efficient," he explained. "I'm not expecting some magic switches [in the pecking order], I'm just hoping we've got a car that's a bit more consistent.”

"Barcelona has predominantly been one of the worst circuits for us. I know we say that about a lot of tracks, but it really is one of the worst ones. I'll be interested to see if we're okay in Barcelona now or maybe we're actually good."

‘Production delays plagued the team’;

https://f1i.com/news/511022-albon-fo...-williams.html

Albon on Sainz collision: ‘Frustrating because for sure points were available today’
    09 June 2024

Alex Albon was powerless to stop Carlos Sainz’s spinning Ferrari knocking him out of the Canadian Grand Prix, on a day when he felt points were on the table for Williams.

‘Powerless’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/al...18617668956974

2024 Canadian Grand Prix: Albon pulls off brilliant double overtake on Ricciardo and Ocon
    09 June 2024

Alex Albon completed a superb double move when he passed Daniel Ricciardo on the straight and then Esteban Ocon at the chicane to shoot up two positions to P9 in just a few seconds.

‘Brilliant double overtake’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...13094418565789

Albon reveals how Williams can make a ‘big step’ in F1 2025
    12:03 Mon, 17 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Alex Albon has disclosed that Williams should stand to make a “big step” next season providing its 2025 Formula 1 car hits the minimum weight limit from the outset.

“There’s still a lot of performance in weight,” Albon divulged. “We’re still far away from where we want to be. We do have upgrades coming in, though, that are performance as well. I would say the carrot at the moment is more towards the weight than the aero side.”

“And it is in some ways we are kind of comparing the two and seeing financially as well it’s a bit thing because losing weight isn’t cheap as well.” The Anglo-Thai driver has stressed the importance of the British side avoiding a similar situation next season to ensure that it can focus on adding pure performance.

‘Should stand to make a “big step” next season’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...ep-in-f1-2025/

Albon prefers Williams to sacrifice 2025 for bigger F1 2026 gains
    Having signed a long-term contract extension, Alex Albon is keen for the Williams Formula 1 team to focus on 2026
    16:32 Tue, 18 Jun 2024
    Filip Cleeren
    Motorsport.com

The extension was a huge coup for Williams team boss James Vowles, who aims to rebuild the Grove-based squad around its lead driver. And with Albon now secured, the Thai driver has bought into Vowles's long-term focus as Williams undergoes a drastic revamp.

That means he would be happy for Williams to sacrifice its chances next year if it can be in a stronger position for the new technical regulations in 2026, which teams can start attacking in full from January 2025. "That's partly with the longer-term contract, you're not so focused on the short term," Albon said.

"You don't want short-term success if it brings you pain later on and as a team, we need to think more about the future if we want to belong at the top. If we want to be a frontrunner, there are still things we need to do to do that and they're big changes that take time. Yes, I would much rather sacrifice 2025 for 2026."

‘Sacrifice 2025 for bigger F1 2026 gains’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...ains/10624556/

Albon: Williams hopes for 2014 repeat with Mercedes F1 engine
    09:02 Wed, 19 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Alex Albon has expressed that he hopes the Mercedes power unit under the newest Formula 1 regulations in 2026 will inspire the side to have an edge over its rivals. “I think the engines will play a big part,” Albon said. “Maybe in 2026 we will fall back from a top team like Mercedes and have a bigger delta.”

“I hope Mercedes has a strong engine and good battery efficiency. That could work in our favour in the Constructors’ comparison and make us relatively competitive with teams with other engines.” Asked how well-prepared Williams was going into the new regulations, he replied: “I think we are still in a building phase and I don’t think we will be fully there in 2026.

“Every team is putting their words and efforts into making sure that 2026 is a fresh start for everyone, but I think it will take a little bit longer. But I hope that we can let the power unit carry us a little bit, and I remember a little bit of 2014 where the gap to the front places could be bigger. But that puts us in a good position and we can still build and develop and change parts of the team. And then we can make bigger steps up to 2027.”

‘Inspire the side to have an edge over its rivals’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...des-f1-engine/

Moment of truth: why Spanish GP is crucial for F1 title race and driver market.
    Will Red Bull return to form? Does Ferrari have an upgrade? Will we see a 17-year-old on track? And will are we about to see a flurry of 2025 F1 driver deals? Here's what to watch out for at the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix
    June 19th 2024
    Cambridge Kisby
    Motor Sport Magazine

By Sunday evening, the outlook for the rest of the Formula 1 season should be clearer. If Max Verstappen cruises to another win in the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix, then the outlook will be bleak for a competitive second half of the year.

But if one or more of McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes can maintain the challenge that they have posed in recent races, then the fight really will be on — for the championship as well as race wins.

It’s expected that the competitive order in Barcelona, which heralds the start of F1’s summer European season, will be continued on the purpose-built circuits to follow, including Silverstone, Monza and Zandvoort. Red Bull expects to put its recent struggles behind it. Will anyone else be able to keep up?

‘Moment of truth’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

Spanish Grand Prix: F1 preview, times, predictions, stats
    Jun 19, 2024
    ESPN

Canada's thrilling race livened up the 2024 season, and Formula One heads to Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya for race 10. Spain marks the start of the triple header, and a return to Europe with Austria and the British Grand Prix to follow. Formula One first came to Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in 1991 when the circuit was built for the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. It's also the home race for Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz, and one that drivers love, having spent many years of winter testing here.

Who's going to win? A return to a purpose-built race track with high-speed corners should favour championship leaders Red Bull, making Verstappen the driver to beat in Spain. The limitations of the RB20's suspension have been exposed over kerbs and bumps at recent rounds, but the layout of the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya should play to its strengths in fast corners.

The relative performance of the Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes should give a good indication of how competitive the second half of the season will be among the top teams.

‘Start of the triple header’;

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/4...now-spanish-gp

What time is the Formula 1 2024 Spanish Grand Prix and how can I watch it?
    15:25 Wed, 19 Jun 2024

Formula 1 heads back to Europe as the Spanish Grand Prix kicks off what is sure to be an exhilarating triple header of races.

The event in Barcelona will begin with FP1 and FP2 on Friday, June 21, followed by FP3 and qualifying on Saturday, June 22, and finally the 66-lap Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday, June 23.

‘Formula 1 2024 Spanish Grand Prix’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...UFup0pIL5Xil5M

Formula One statistics for the Spanish Grand Prix
    15:10 Wed, 19 Jun 2024
    The Straits Times

The 14-turn Circuit de Catalunya is hosting what will be the 54th world championship Spanish GP. Lewis Hamilton has won the Spanish GP six times (2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021), a record he shares with Michael Schumacher. Other past winners on Sunday's grid are Fernando Alonso (2006, 2013) and Verstappen (2016, 2022, 2023).

The only drivers to win in Barcelona and not start on the front row were Schumacher (third on the grid in 1996), Alonso (from fifth in 2013) and Verstappen (fourth in 2016).

Alonso and Ferrari's Carlos Sainz are the only Spanish drivers in the race. Ferrari are the most successful team at the Circuit de Catalunya with eight wins. Since 1951, the Italian team have won 12 times in Spain.
    MILESTONE: The race will be Sainz's last outing with Ferrari in front of his home crowd. Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso will be starting his 21st home grand prix.

‘Formula One statistics’;

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...ish-grand-prix

F1'S Performance Reset? - Spanish GP Race Preview 2024
    14:54 Wed, 19 Jun 2024
    Motorsport.com

It’s almost time for F1 to head back to Europe for the Spanish Grand Prix, at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona. Not only do Bryn Lucas, Ben Hunt and Filip Cleeren preview the race, but they also discuss Kimi Antonelli and the vague super licence rule change, the upcoming F1 movie, whether McLaren can adapt their new car to Barcelona’s lower speed corners, can Mercedes show their Canadian form was more than just a flash in the pan, and whether Ferrari can overcome their 2023 tyre-wear problems.

0:00 F1's Spanish GP
    0:44 Alpine's Engine Issues
    5:11 Kimi Antonelli & Super Licence Rules
    8:26 Bottas' & Sainz's Futures
    12:12 F1's Upcoming Film Release Date
    15:15 Barcelona to Test F1's Upgrades

18:39 McLaren's Spanish Hopes
    20:20 Mercedes' Potential
    25:17 Ferrari to Bounce Back?
    28:31 Tyres and Pitstop Options
    29:43 Predicting the Grid
    31:30 Perez's Possibilities

‘F1'S Performance Reset?’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/video/...w-2024/652094/

Rain a possible major threat to 2024 F1 Spanish Grand Prix
    What does the weather have in store for the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix?
    19 June 2024
    Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

There is a chance of showers at the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday, with varying track conditions throughout, according to RacingNews365's weather partner WeerOnline. Looking ahead to round 10 of the season, bright sunshine with 25 degrees temperature is expected on Friday, with sunburn even possible within just 10 minutes!

Come qualifying, there is again no chance of rain, with a similar air temperature of 26 degrees expected. However, come race day, thunderstorms are currently expected, with the threat higher in the morning and early afternoon. The chance decreases through the afternoon, with a 3pm local start time, with a wet start to the race possible.

On race day, there will be winds from the south-east, which roughly corresponds to a head-wind under braking for Turn 10.

‘What does the weather have in store’;

https://racingnews365.com/rain-a-pos...ish-grand-prix

4 team battle for the win, really? 2024 Spanish GP Preview
    ‎Jun‎ ‎19‎, ‎2024‎ ‎10‎:‎44‎ ‎PM
    Inside Line F1 Podcast (Weblog)

Does Formula 1 actually have a 4-team battle for wins hereon? OR will it be a case of different teams challenging Red Bull Racing's supremacy in 2024? Is Mercedes actually back? And can Ferrari bounce back after their debacle in Canada? Will McLaren deliver error-free weekends to continue to maximise their chances? The 2024 Spanish Grand Prix will answer a lot of questions. In this episode of the Inside Line F1 Podcast, Soumil Arora and Kunal Shah start by answering why the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is the best benchmark for assessing the performance of a Formula 1 car. Yes, this is a phrase we will hear all weekend long!

Will Esteban Ocon and Alpine's toxicity continue? Will Lewis Hamilton continue to deliver cryptic messages post-Qualifying? Will Carlos Sainz continue his 100% scoring record at his home race in Spain AND can he stop Charles Leclerc from out-qualifying him for the 6th race in succession. Will Alpine actually ditch the Renault power-unit, and could life come a full circle if Alpine are powered by Red Bull Power Trains come 2026? And of course, we've got our bold predictions for the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix.

‘Will Lewis Hamilton continue to deliver cryptic messages post-Qualifying?’;

https://omny.fm/shows/inside-line-f1...4-spanish-gp-p

What time does the 2024 F1 Spanish GP start?
    The Spanish Grand Prix is back this weekend, but what time does the race start?
    20 June 2024
    RacingNews365 Staff
    RacingNews365

What time does the 2024 F1 Spanish GP start Sunday?
    The F1 Spanish GP weekend takes place from Friday, June 21 to Sunday, June 23. On Saturday, the third free practice starts at 11:30 am BST, followed by the qualifying at 3:00 pm BST. The race begins on Sunday, June 23, at 2:00 pm BST.

The schedule is automatically adjusted to your time zone.
    Timetable Spanish GP
    Session Date Time
    Free practice 1 Friday 21 June 13:30 - 14:30
    Free practice 2 Friday 21 June 17:00 - 18:00
    Free practice 3 Saturday 22 June 12:30 - 13:30
    Qualification Saturday 22 June 16:00 - 17:00
    Race Sunday 23 June 15:00 - 17:00

‘Automatically adjusted to your time zone’;

https://racingnews365.com/what-time-...anish-gp-start

Five Spanish GP questions: Carlos Sainz’s future, Ferrari upgrades, Mercedes on the up?
    19 Jun 2024
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Will Red Bull be clear favourites again? Having overcome fierce competition to win in Canada, Red Bull are the favourites to once again take victory this weekend in Barcelona.

Can Mercedes confirm the step forward against Ferrari and McLaren? If McLaren was the big positive surprise at the Miami GP, it was Mercedes who impressed most in Canada. A positive upwards trend was on display with George Russell’s pole in Montreal and the Brackley squad had powerful race pace too.
    Can Ferrari bounce back from Montreal meltdown? After a double retirement and a disappointing qualifying with both cars out of Q3, Ferrari gave the chance to turn the situation around with Carlos Sainz racing at home.

Will we learn more about Carlos Sainz’s potential move to Williams? The rumour mill has been in full flow of late and it looks increasingly likely that we may soon have an answer to the question of where Carlos Sainz’s future lies.
    Can home favourite Fernando Alonso and Aston Martin recover the good sensations? After three races with a completely unknown Fernando Alonso, the Spaniard was once again at his best in Canada with a good qualifying and a good race for Aston Martin.

‘Five questions’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/sp...s-sainz-future

Spanish Grand Prix - five storylines
    Here AFP Sport assesses five storylines as F1 prepares for the battle of Barcelona:
    20/06/2024
    France 24

Max to shine in Spain again? What a difference a year makes. Max Versappen turned up in Barcelona 12 months ago with his third title already virtually wrapped up, the Red Bull invincible, the rest of the grid floundering in their wake. Twelve months on the pack has mercifully closed in…

Ferrari's Montreal blip: After Charles Leclerc's emotional first triumph in Monaco Ferrari fell back to earth with a bump in Montreal with two DNFs. Buoyant McLaren: Miami-winner Norris and Oscar Piastri have plenty to smile about. McLaren have beaten Ferrari in four of the past five races. Less than four seconds separated Norris and Verstappen on the line in Montreal, and less than a second in Emilia Romagna. That's catapulted the Briton into third, eight points adrift of Leclerc, in the title race.

'Dumb' Mercedes winging it: Pole for George Russell in Montreal, followed by third place in the race ahead of teammate Lewis Hamilton, a record-equalling six time winner in Catalonia, gave hope that Mercedes are back in business. Technical director James Allison put the uptick down to a new front wing. "The thing that has bedevilled us from the start of the year, we couldn't get the car good in both fast and slow corners. What has changed in the last two or three races is that we've modified the car to give crucial balance to the driver," he told F1 Nation podcast.

‘Spotlight’;

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...ive-storylines

NEED TO KNOW: The most important facts, stats and trivia ahead of the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix
    20 Jun 2024

Vital statistics
    • First Grand Prix – 1951 (Pedralbes)
    • Track Length – 4.657km
    • Lap record – 1m 16.330s, Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 2023
    • Most pole positions – Michael Schumacher (7)
    • Most wins – Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton (6)
    • Trivia – Fernando Alonso’s most recent F1 win came at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in 2013
    • Pole run to Turn 1 braking point – 595 metres
    • Overtakes completed in 2023 – 107
    • Safety Car probability – 50%
    • Virtual Safety Car probability – 25%
    • Pit stop time loss – 22.3 seconds (includes 2.5s stop)

‘Facts, stats and trivia’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ihWBm1qxQpOqRE

RB confirms major upgrade for Spanish GP
    20 June 2024
    Samuel Coop
    RacingNews365

RB will introduce an aerodynamic upgrade for the Spanish Grand Prix, at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, as confirmed by technical director Jody Egginton. The team announced ahead of the weekend that it will bring updated bodywork, as well as developed floors and rear wings for both cars.

It has been a relatively strong start to the season for RB, with Yuki Tsunoda in fine form - his performances have solidified its grasp on sixth-place in the constructors' standings, having finished last season, its final as AlphaTauri, in eighth position. The team has already amassed more points just nine rounds into this year than it did throughout 2023 - 28 to 25. That is in spite of the fact the leading five teams have a stronger monopoly on the points-paying positions than last season.

RB has also closed the performance gap to that quintet - Aston Martin, in particular - and news of further upgrades can only be seen as a positive for the team. "A significant amount of work was put in by Faenza and Bicester to prepare and deliver an aerodynamic update consisting of a floor, bodywork and rear wing for both cars, to provide a measurable performance benefit," Egginton said. "As a result of having this update, the Friday sessions will be especially busy, in order to gather and process as much data as possible and get ready for Saturday onwards.”

‘Major upgrade’;

https://racingnews365.com/rb-takes-m...te-to-spain-gp

‘May as well retire’: Haas drivers told they ‘may as well retire’ before Spanish GP due to one key car issue
    20 June 2024
    Rory Mitchell
    F1 Oversteer

Italian tyre makers, Pirelli, will be bringing three of its hardest 2024 dry tyre compounds to the race weekend, with them anticipating higher temperatures because the race will take place three weeks later than in 2023. This means thermal degradation could be an issue for teams to get on top of, with Haas singled out by former Le Mans class winner, Richard Bradley, on the On Track GP Podcast.

Haas drivers ‘may as well just retire’. Bradley anticipates the track will pose an issue for Haas given their long-standing tyre problems, which often leads to both Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen having impressive qualifying sessions then dropping out of the points in the race. “The problem with the circuit is that it’s very biased in the high speed, long right-handers, and the front left tyres because the surface is aggressive and just wears completely,” said Bradley.”

“So overtaking is impossible and you can never push the car because the front left dies, then you get graining in all conditions, and the car never feels good. I don’t want to say too much, but they [Haas] may as well just retire already because they’re not going to be scoring points.”

‘Haas... ...retire’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/haa...key-car-issue/

Mercedes wary about main F1 ‘weakness’ heading into Spanish GP
    18 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says this weekend’s F1 Spanish Grand Prix will reveal how much progress the team have made in curing the W15’s main weakness. “Barcelona will provide a good test of our progress,” Mercedes team principal Wolff said. “This weekend will therefore provide another opportunity to evaluate our progress through our recent updates, and we hope to build on the positive momentum from Montreal.”

“We have continued to make incremental gains across the past few races,” Wolff added. “It was encouraging therefore to take another positive step forward in Canada. To see that translate into our strongest team result of the season so far is a reward for everyone's hard work.”

“The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a unique track, however. It has a narrow range of corner speeds and, with a newly re-laid surface, was something of an outlier compared to more traditional venues. We know our competitors will perform more strongly at upcoming races so we will need to continue to work hard to consistently get ourselves in the fight for podiums, and eventually race wins.”

‘Clear picture’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105081...ing-spanish-gp

Mercedes say exactly what Lewis Hamilton won't want to hear ahead of Spanish GP
    20 Jun 2024
    Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Mercedes technical director James Allison said it is unlikely that his team will be "right at the front" at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix. He said: "The changes we have made are making this car a better car and that will be true at every circuit we go to. The characteristics of Montreal make it look a little quicker than we have a natural right to command at the coming races.”

"In Barcelona, I think it more likely that we will be competitive, but not right at the front. Because the next tracks are a little bit of a sterner test of a car. Hot asphalt, wider cornering speeds." Allison went on to add though: "However, I also know what we have got coming. I also know what we are planning to further improve the car. Our challenge is just to keep those upgrades arriving at a pace that the others cannot keep up with.”

"In doing that, just bullying our car to the front by virtue of the effort made by everybody here over the coming weeks and months to get the car so that it can have its Montreal weekend or better at any track that we face in the future."

‘Not at the front’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...n-car-33069546

F1 - 2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Thursday Press Conference Transcript.
    DRIVERS – Daniel RICCIARDO (RB), Carlos SAINZ (Ferrari), Fernando ALONSO (Aston Martin), Kevin MAGNUSSEN (Haas), Valtteri BOTTAS (Kick Sauber).
    FIA (Press Release)

Q: Fernando, this is your 21st Spanish Grand Prix. Explain to us what makes Barcelona different for you? Fernando ALONSO: We had a lot of tests here in the past. Now, we do them in Bahrain, but in the past Barcelona used to be all the winter tests in this place. We have millions of laps in Barcelona, also in the junior categories. Obviously a lot of things happened here in Barcelona as well. It's one of those races that we know all very well. For us, for Carlos, for myself, a lot more support in the grandstands. Family coming, friends are coming. So yeah, a little bit extra motivation this weekend.

Q: Carlos, can we come to you now? Do you second everything Fernando's just said about racing at home? Carlos SAINZ: Yeah, definitely. I think it's always been incredible, but maybe it's true the last few years, I think since I've been with Ferrari and Fernando has been back with Aston, and having that chance of podiums, I think the last few years, the attendance and the excitement of the whole country towards Formula 1 has increased again. I don't know if it’s to the levels of 2005, 2010 when he was fighting for the championship, but to a level that is really nice to see and gives us a lot of support and a really good mood to come into the track.

Q: (Craig Slater – Sky Sports UK) Another question for Fernando. We're reading reports, Fernando, that Adrian Newey has visited the Aston Martin factory and had some talks with the team. Will you speak to him at all? Have you spoken to him? Do you plan to? Is there a role for you in persuading him to come to the team? And if you were, what would you say to him to sell Aston Martin to him? FA: There are many questions on that. Yeah, I read the rumours, I read the news. But it's coming from the same source and the same websites of one week ago [saying] he was in Ferrari and it was the announcement at 12 o'clock before Canada race. So yeah, rumours are rumours.

‘Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-spa...nce-transcript

Six things we've already learned from F1's Spanish Grand Prix
    Jun 20, 2024
    The Race

Sainz's decision urgency has increased: Carlos Sainz saying he's close to making up his mind about his post-Ferrari future has become a common theme of F1 Thursdays in 2024. But it appeared to step up a notch at Barcelona with the admission that the dilemma has become a drain.
    Perez thinks this will be a reset: Perez arrives to the 2024 edition badly needing an uptick in form after a serious dip that has coincided with Red Bull generally having a more difficult time getting its car to work well.

Sargeant has parity at last: Williams’s much-publicised struggles mean that it’s been a long time since Logan Sargeant has had the same equipment as team-mate Alex Albon. He’d originally expected to regain parity last time out in Canada, but finally has the lighter floor first run by Albon at Imola on his car.
    Why Russell's making more mistakes: George Russell understandably came under plenty of scrutiny after a messy Canadian GP weekend that featured some of the highest highs and lowest lows of his Mercedes stint thus far.

Alpine's trying to turn the page: There was a clear attempt to shut all that noise down immediately as the paddock reconvened in Barcelona, with Ocon telling gathered media (including The Race) “I am not going to comment on any of that” as reporters attempted to discuss the fallout from Canada with him.
    Sauber has granted Zhou's wish: At the request of Zhou, a switch of chassis and other parts. “More than the speed, it’s the confidence when pushing the car,” said Zhou when asked what’s gone wrong recently. “We did something different from Imola onwards and, from my side, I’ve really been struggling.”

‘Six’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/s...and-prix-2024/

2024 Spanish Grand Prix: What the Teams are Saying ahead of the Weekend
    June 20, 2024
    Joe Briley
    The Checkered Flag

Max Verstappen — Oracle Red Bull Racing — Driver “We are back to the European races for a while now and I have been with the Team at the factory this week preparing for the Spanish Grand Prix, being the first race of a busy triple header.”
    Sergio Pérez — Oracle Red Bull Racing — Driver ““Coming into Spain I know I need a successful weekend, after a disaster in Canada. Sometimes you are forced to reset a little and we have done that since the last race. I have been in Milton Keynes working with the Team to try and identify where and what we can do better to ensure I am getting the most out of this car.”

Fred Vasseur — Scuderia Ferrari — Team principal ““The Spanish Grand Prix should see us return to being competitive, with the same level of performance we have demonstrated throughout the season prior to the Canadian Grand Prix.”
    Lando Norris — McLaren F1 Team — Driver “It’s great to be back in Europe after a successful Canadian GP for us. We were close to another win, but I’m happy to get another podium and important points for the team. It’s a great place to be in, fighting for wins, and it makes me really excited for the rest of the season.”

Oscar Piastri — McLaren F1 Team — Driver “Canada was another strong weekend for the team and I was pleased to continue a productive run of results from Imola and Monaco. It’s a nice feeling to be consistently fighting at the front and being in the mix for the big prizes.”
    Toto Wolff — Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team — Team principal and CEO ““We have continued to make incremental gains across the past few races. It was encouraging therefore to take another positive step forward in Canada. To see that translate into our strongest team result of the season so far is a reward for everyone’s hard work.”

‘Team talk’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...f-the-weekend/

Vasseur expects Ferrari to return to pre-Montreal performance level
    21 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Following an utterly difficult race in Montreal, Ferrari team boss Fred Vasseur expects his team to regain its competitive level at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix. Ferrari endured a tough weekend in Montreal two weeks, failing to score a single point in the wet 70-lap race after having struggled for outright pace in qualifying.

WIth the field returning to Europe for the Spanish Grand Prix, Ferrari is keen to put its poor performance in Montreal behind it and return to fighting for victory at the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit.

"This is Carlos’ home race and I’m sure all that extra support from the fans will be an added boost for him. It’s going to be an interesting weekend and we are counting on scoring plenty of points," concluded Vasseur.

‘Fred Vasseur expects…’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...f-the-weekend/

Charles Leclerc warns Red Bull’s “beginning of the season” form will return in Spain
    Charles Leclerc is adamant Red Bull will be "back" at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.
    20 Jun 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Charles Leclerc expects Red Bull to return to their impressive early-season F1 form at this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix. Giving his view on Red Bull, Leclerc told media including Crash.net in Barcelona: “Me personally and I am not speaking on behalf of the team but my personal opinion is that we will see a stronger Red Bull and a Red Bull that we have seen at the beginning of the season back here in Barcelona.”

“Just because the track layout normally Red Bull is very fast around here. I do also believe that the last four races from Miami to the last race in Canada was a lot about kerb riding - and it’s probably not the one strengths of the Red Bull. I believe we will see them back to a true, really good level this weekend. However, we still have some new parts in the car for this weekend.”

“If that helps us to be very close here it’s a good sign for the rest because normally Barcelona is quite representative for the rest of the season. It’s going to be an interesting weekend so if we’re in the fight here it’s a good sign for the rest of the season.”

“Beginning of the season”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105085...l-return-spain

Max in Barcelona: 'Aiming for a weekend without mistakes'

20 June 2024
    Stefan Meens
    Verstappen.nl

Looking ahead to tenth race of the season, the Oracle Red Bull Racing driver said: “The last couple of races were trickier for us, but every track is different. In Barcelona it’s more about aero and high-speed corners. This track should suit our car, because it isn’t as bumpy and you don’t need to use the kerbstones. It’s a more straightforward track, but everyone has a lot of data because we’ve been here so often.”

After nine races, the reigning world champion leads the standings by 56 points. Compared to the previous season, the points advantage is less dominant. “The last races, the teams have been closer together and I expect the same here in qualifying. Small details can make a big difference so it’s important to have a weekend without mistakes. That’s what we always aim for. I’m looking forward to it; it’s a great circuit.”

‘Small details/big difference’;

https://news.verstappen.com/en/article/5501/

Norris heads Verstappen in opening Spanish GP practice.
    McLaren’s Lando Norris set the fastest time during the opening practice session for Formula 1’s Spanish Grand Prix.
    21 June 2024
    Phillip Horton
    Motorsport Week

Norris used Soft tyres to post a time of 1:14.228 to inch just 0.024s ahead of World Champion Max Verstappen, who also used the red-banded compound for his best lap. Verstappen, who claimed his maiden victory at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in 2016, leads the championship by 56 points.

Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz started his home race weekend on a strong footing by classifying in third position, three-tenths down on Norris, but with his lap time achieved on the Medium tyres. Fourth-placed George Russell also used the yellow-banded rubber for his timed lap, ahead of Soft-shod Sergio Perez and Oscar Piastri.

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton was seventh, while Esteban Ocon provided some encouragement for Alpine by taking eighth spot. Fernando Alonso was ninth for Aston Martin and caused the only incident of note during the session after running wide at the high-speed Turn 9.

‘Norris heads Verstappen’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...h-gp-practice/

Spanish GP: Free Practice 1 Results
    Full results from Free Practice 1 from the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
    21 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Free Practice 1 from the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps Best Diff

1 4 Lando Norris McLaren 26 1:14.228

2 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 25 1:14.252 0.024

3 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 29 1:14.572 0.344

4 63 George Russell Mercedes 29 1:14.614 0.386

5 11 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing 26 1:14.692 0.464

6 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 28 1:14.867 0.639

7 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 27 1:14.911 0.683

8 31 Esteban Ocon Alpine 29 1:15.086 0.858

9 14 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 25 1:15.222 0.994

10 23 Alex Albon Williams 24 1:15.417 1.189

‘Full results from Free Practice 1’;

https://speedcafe.com/spanish-gp-fre...ice-1-results/

Lando Norris pips Max Verstappen to top red-flagged opening Spanish GP practice
    Lando Norris edges out Max Verstappen to the fastest time in first practice at the F1 Spanish Grand Prix.
    21 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Lando Norris set the early pace by heading Red Bull’s Max Verstappen in opening practice at the F1 Spanish Grand Prix. The McLaren driver topped the FP1 timesheet with a best lap of 1m14.228 seconds as he edged out reigning world champion Verstappen by a minuscule 0.024s.

Carlos Sainz - one of two home heroes for the Spanish crowd to cheer on - wound up third-fastest for Ferrari, 0.344s off Norris’ FP1 benchmark, though his time was set on the medium compound. Having set the pace early on in the first hour-long practice session, George Russell ended up fourth and nearly four-tenths adrift in his Mercedes.

Sergio Perez was fifth in the other Red Bull, ahead of McLaren’s Oscar Piastri and Lewis Hamilton, who ran wide at Turn 10 and ended up a few tenths adrift of his Mercedes teammate Russell. Esteban Ocon, Fernando Alonso and Alex Albon completed the rest of the top-10 order for Alpine, Aston Martin and Williams respectively.

‘Lando Norris set the early pace’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105090...sh-gp-practice

Spanish GP: Lando Norris tops FP1 as Charles Leclerc laments ‘horrendous’ Ferrari
    21 Jun 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

McLaren and Lando Norris made the perfect start to the Spanish Grand Prix by setting the pace in the opening practice session. Max Verstappen brought the fight with 0.024s splitting the pair on the soft tyres, while the old-spec Ferrari was not giving Charles Leclerc much joy.

Heading into the final 15 minutes and Leclerc found Lance Stroll in the middle of the corner, apparently “as always”, before reporting a clutch issue as he returned to the Ferrari garage. Russell meanwhile got a “good question” response after asking Mercedes why he and Lewis Hamilton were sent back out onto the track at the same time.

For Pierre Gasly it was back to the pit lane, as he branded his Alpine A524 undriveable, while Verstappen’s clutch was “anti-stalling”, though he was in the clear to drive on. Race simulations on the softs brought FP1 to a close as Norris topped the session from Verstappen by 0.024s, Sainz completing the top three.

‘Horrendous Ferrari/clutch issue’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/spanis...024-fp1-report

2024 Spanish GP FP1: Debris from Alonso’s car triggers red flag in first practice
    21 Jun 2024

The first practice session for the Spanish Grand Prix was halted with about 20 minutes left on the clock after a part from Fernando Alonso’s Aston Martin flew off the car and was left on the circuit.

‘Debris’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...72996932147181

Red Bull and Ferrari debut major F1 upgrades at Spanish GP
    Jun 21, 2024
    by Mark Hughes
    The Race

The Spanish Grand Prix isn't quite the development frenzy it used to be, given it's no longer Formula 1's first European race of the year. But two of F1 2024's frontrunners have still brought significant packages to Barcelona, as Mark Hughes explains...

Red Bull: Red Bull has further revised the geometry of its radiator inlets to induce a higher pressure of air being fed there, to minimise the area of aerodynamically damaging outlet louvres. This has brought with it a change to the engine cover side panels and even to the floor to match the new bodywork.

Ferrari: Ferrari has introduced a new high downforce rear wing and beam wing offering what it claims is a wider range of effectiveness in the transient state, when the car is in yaw. The sidepod undercut and the coke bottle cut-away at the rear have both been enhanced with the aim of increasing downforce at the rear of the car and the floor fences at the tunnel inlet have been suitably re-aligned to fully exploit this.

‘Aston Martin, RB, Sauber, Haas upgrades’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/r...es-spanish-gp/

Ferrari explain the seven upgrades ‘fast-tracked’ to F1 Spanish GP.
    Ferrari senior performance engineer details updates in Barcelona
    21 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Ferrari’s extensive upgrade package at the F1 Spanish Grand Prix is tailored to bringing more performance as the team looks to bounce back from its woeful weekend in Canada. In a bid to bounce back, Ferrari have got their latest upgrade - comprising seven elements including a revised floor, engine cover, diffuser and halo - ready in time to debut at the start of F1’s triple header in Spain.

Ferrari’s senior performance engineer told media including Crash.net in Barcelona that the package is “similar” to their Imola upgrade both in terms of size and expected performance gains. “When we quantify an upgrade, we’re only talking performance, that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day,” Clear said. “We could talk some interesting numbers that the aero department produce, but how much lap time it produces is always our measure.”

Asked if it represents a more incremental upgrade, compared to the visually-striking updates introduced at Imola, Clear replied: “Yes, I think so. Again, we’ve spoken in the past about how subtle some of the effects on air are, certainly at the back of the car. And this was in parallel with Imola, so this isn’t a reaction to Imola if you see what I mean, this isn’t the upgrade from Imola and then we look at what it did.”

‘Seven upgrades fast-tracked’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105089...-f1-spanish-gp

Spanish GP: Lewis Hamilton tops tight FP2 in Barcelona as multi-team fight emerges.
    Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris both lapped within half a tenth of the Mercedes driver in second practice, as Red Bull driver Max Verstappen was two tenths further back in fourth place.
    21 Jun 2024
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

The drivers looked for as much time on track as possible in FP2, with most of the teams bringing plenty of upgrades with them to Barcelona, as is traditional, given the circuit’s status as a true all-round test of the cars.

After the green light, the mediums were the tyre of choice early on as McLaren and Mercedes showed up as early pace-setters, with George Russell’s 1:14.089 a tenth quicker than Lando Norris in the early stages.

The front-runners’ team-mates were not quite in such close proximity however, with Sergio Perez half a second down on Verstappen’s time, Russell 0.458s behind Hamilton, Oscar Piastri three tenths off Norris and Charles Leclerc a similar gap behind Sainz.

‘Lewis Hamilton tops tight FP2’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/spanis...024-fp2-report

Spanish GP: Free Practice 2 Results
    Full results from Free Practice 2 from the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
    22 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Free Practice 2 from the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps Best Diff

1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 27 1:13.264

2 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 29 1:13.286 0.022

3 4 Lando Norris McLaren 30 1:13.319 0.055

4 10 Pierre Gasly Alpine 27 1:13.443 0.179

5 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 28 1:13.504 0.240

6 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 21 1:13.597 0.333

7 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 27 1:13.622 0.358

8 63 George Russell Mercedes 27 1:13.722 0.458

9 31 Esteban Ocon Alpine 29 1:13.766 0.502

10 77 Valtteri Bottas Sauber 29 1:13.924 0.660

‘Free Practice 2’;

https://speedcafe.com/spanish-gp-fre...ice-2-results/

Spanish GP: Hamilton quickest in quiet second practice
    22 June 2024
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton was quickest in second practice for the Spanish Grand Prix, with a time of 1:13.264s putting him two hundredths of a second ahead of Ferrari's Carlos Sainz on Friday. Having set the pace in FP1, Lando Norris was third fastest in the late afternoon sunshine ahead of Alpine's Pierre Gasly, while Max Verstappen was only fifth having complained of the Red Bull being 'loose' during the hour.

Verstappen's run looked promising but in the end he lost time in the middle sector and it was only enough for P3 behind Sainz and Norris. Hamilton then went ahead of Sainz by 0.022s. By contrast Russell's flying lap was messy and only good enough for P6, and immediately pipped by Oscar Piastri in the second McLaren who went a tenth quicker.

There was still a little more time to come with Gasly edging ahead of Verstappen for fourth. Running out of sequence after a lengthy delay in the Red Bull garage, Sergio Perez made a late run on the softs but could only improve to P13, eight tenths off Hamilton's top time. Ferrari had also been working on Leclerc's car, and he subsequently improved to sixth to go ahead of Piastri and Russell.

‘Hamilton quickest’;

https://f1i.com/news/511303-spanish-...-practice.html

Lewis Hamilton tops tight second Spanish GP practice ahead of Carlos Sainz
    Lewis Hamilton shows off the pace of his Mercedes to end Friday practice in Barcelona fastest.
    21 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Lewis Hamilton edged out Carlos Sainz to set the pace in an incredibly tight second practice at the F1 Spanish Grand Prix with a 1m13.264 seconds. It was enough to put Hamilton top of the timesheet by just 0.022s from Ferrari’s Sainz, while FP1 pacesetter Lando Norris was only 0.055s adrift as he took third in his McLaren.

Pierre Gasly was a surprise fourth for Alpine, 0.179s behind Hamilton’s FP2 benchmark. Reigning world champion Max Verstappen was fifth-fastest, 0.240s off the pace, as he complained about the handling and balance of his RB20.

‘Incredibly tight second practice’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105093...d-carlos-sainz

Hamilton edges Sainz to top spot in FP2 at F1 Spanish GP
    22 June 2024
    Motorsport Week
    Motorsport Week

Sainz propelled his Ferrari right to the top on home soil during the opening runs on the Soft tyre, with team-mate Charles Leclerc three-tenths adrift in the sister SF-24. However, Hamilton clocked a lap moments later that went 0.033s quicker than Sainz to displace the Spaniard and that transpired to end up as the fastest overall time.

Sainz remained the lead Ferrari in second as Leclerc dropped to sixth, while Lando Norris backed up his table-topping time in FP1 to be third, 0.055s behind Hamilton. Behind the McLaren came Pierre Gasly in a surprise fourth for the ever-improving Alpine squad, with team-mate Esteban Ocon also inside the top 10 in ninth position.

Max Verstappen cooled expectations going into the weekend that Red Bull will dominate in Barcelona and he ended FP2 in fifth, 0.240s down on the benchmark time. Oscar Piastri was matching McLaren team-mate Norris until the final sector and he wound up seventh, with George Russell situated 0.458s behind Hamilton in eighth.

‘Hamilton edges Sainz’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...f1-spanish-gp/

Max Verstappen explains “loose” Red Bull radio complaints in Spanish GP practice
    Max Verstappen reflects on his running on Friday at the Spanish Grand Prix.
    21 Jun 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Max Verstappen didn’t seem too concerned about his Red Bull F1 car feeling “loose” in Friday practice for the Spanish Grand Prix, explaining that they were simply trying out various car setups. Verstappen was heard complaining over team radio on at least two occasions about his car being loose.

The first radio message, he said: “The car is loose in the exits in general, still just weird understeer mid corner, this car doesn't bite…” Soon after, he added: “Car is still loose.. I need the other wing.” It soon transpired that Red Bull were trialling different rear wing configurations until FP2. The Dutchman ended up fifth in the order, over 0.2s down on Lewis Hamilton’s top time.

Interestingly, Verstappen was quickest in the first and final sector, but lost out in the middle part of the lap. Shedding light on his “loose” complaints, Verstappen said: “We just tried a few different setups out there in FP1, FP2. Just trying to fine tune it a little bit. At least I think the day itself was a bit more normal without any issues so that’s what we were hoping for.

“Car is still loose.. I need the other wing…”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105093...sh-gp-practice

Mercedes call in police over ‘Hamilton sabotage’ emails as Wolff attacks ‘cowards’.
    “It’s not from a member of the team,” said Wolff. “When we are getting these kind of emails, and we’re getting tons of them, it is upsetting, particularly when somebody is talking about death and all these things.”
    21st June 2024, 17:10
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has denied emails claiming Lewis Hamilton is being sabotaged were sent by a member of the team. He confirmed the police have been called over a series of emails sent to journalists and others in Formula 1 alleging Mercedes is deliberately undermining his efforts and even jeopardising his safety.

“So, on this particular one, I have instructed to go in full force. We have the police inquiring. We are researching the IP address. We are researching the phone, all of that, because online abuse in that way needs to stop. People can’t hide behind their phones or their computers and abuse teams or drivers in a way like this.”

Wolff attacked the suggestion Mercedes would try to sabotage the efforts of a driver they have won six world championships with. “I don’t know what some of the conspiracy theorists and lunatics think out there. Lewis was part of the team for 12 years. We have a friendship. We trust each other. We want to win this. We want to end this on a high. We want to celebrate the relationship.”

‘Wolff attacks cowards’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/06/21/...tacks-cowards/

Mercedes engage police over malicious Lewis Hamilton email
    Toto Wolff has revealed he’s instructed his team to engage the police to track down the author of a malicious email about Lewis Hamilton.
    22 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Sent from a ‘burner' address on the Monday following the Canadian Grand Prix, the email, titled “A potential death warrant for Lewis”, claimed to be from a concerned member of Mercedes. “Some of us in the team are unhappy about the systematic sabotaging of Lewis, his car, his tyre strategy, his race strategy, his mental health and the unprofessional way Toto, lover boy George and others are mistreating him,” it claimed, in part.

It goes on to brand Wolff “vindictive”, that Hamilton is being excluded, and that aside from a group of supporters within the organisation, “others are on a dangerous course that could ultimately be life threatening to Lewis, other drivers even the public. A cold tyre strategy is a death warrant.” Curiously, it appeared to use an identical email distribution list as was used for the leaked Christian Horner evidence earlier this year, though the sender's email address was different.

‘Identical email distribution list’;

https://speedcafe.com/mercedes-engag...amilton-email/

Mercedes report Lewis Hamilton ‘sabotage’ email to police and hit out at “lunatics”
    Mercedes have called the police to investigate an anonymous email accusing the team of 'sabotage' and endangering Lewis Hamilton's life.
    21 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff has confirmed an anonymous email accusing the team of ‘sabotaging’ Lewis Hamilton has been reported to the police. Hamilton, who will leave Mercedes to join Ferrari next year, stressed ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix that he had not seen the email, but defended teammate George Russell, who has been subjected to online hate and abuse.

“I wasn’t actually aware that George was experiencing any negativity,” Hamilton said. “George has done nothing but his best every single weekend and delivering for the team, so he can’t be faulted at all.

“Of course there are always things that can be better within a team and that comes through conversations, through communication, and that’s what we’re consistently working on. But we’re all in the same boat, we’re all working hard together and we all want to finish on a high. We owe that to our long-term relationship.”

‘Hit out at “lunatics” ’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105090...t-out-lunatics

Furious Toto Wolff urges ‘mad people’ to ‘see a shrink’ as police investigate worrying Lewis Hamilton email
    21 Jun 2024
    Thomas Maher
    PlanetF1.com

Following a mass email being sent out regarding Lewis Hamilton, Toto Wolff has confirmed the police are now investigating the matter. The email, which was sent from an anonymous Gmail address that referred to Wolff and George Russell in juvenile terms, was sent to the same mailing list as the anonymous email leak regarding Christian Horner back in February.

The contents of this email, which was sent by someone claiming to be working with Mercedes, referred to unhappiness within the team about “systemic sabotage” of Lewis Hamilton, as well as some more serious allegations which PlanetF1.com has opted against reproducing.

While the police begin their investigations into the origin of the email sent regarding Mercedes, Red Bull opted to carry out an internal investigation to discover the source of the anonymous email pertaining to the Christian Horner allegations – an investigation which is still ongoing.

‘Toto Wolff urges ‘mad people’ to ‘see a shrink’ as police investigate’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...igation-begins

Mercedes spark police investigation over Lewis Hamilton 'death warrant' email
    Mercedes have contacted the police following a dramatic email that circulated in the paddock ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix.
    Jun 21, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

An email circled around the paddock ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix accusing Mercedes of sabotage. Mercedes have contacted the police after an email circulated around the Spanish Grand Prix paddock accusing the team of 'sabotaging' star driver Lewis Hamilton as a punishment for his decision to leave for Ferrari in 2025.

The seven-time world champion has been out-qualified in eight of the nine races so far this season and fuelled speculation with cryptic comments about his form in Monaco. The anonymously sent email had the subject line "A potential death warrant for Lewis" and read:

"With the exception of Bono [Hamilton’s race engineer] and those of us who love Lewis, others are on a dangerous course that could ultimately be life-threatening to Lewis, other drivers, even the public.”

‘Mercedes spark police investigation’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...Mercedes-email

Mercedes go to police over anonymous email claiming Lewis Hamilton’s car was ‘sabotaged’
    The email, said to be written by a Mercedes staff member, suggested Hamilton is being mistreated
    Jun 21, 2024
    Philip Duncan
    The Independent

Mercedes have reported an anonymous email which claimed Lewis Hamilton’s car has been “sabotaged” to the police.

The letter, said to be written by a disgruntled Mercedes staff member, was sent to Formula One’s major players – including the Silver Arrows’ team principal Toto Wolff, F1 boss Stefano Domenicali and FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem, as well as members of the media – in the wake of the Canadian Grand Prix earlier this month.

Speaking prior to this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, Hamilton, 39, said he had not seen the e-mail which was addressed to the same recipients used to leak messages pertaining to be exchanged between Christian Horner and his complainant on the eve of the season-opening race in Bahrain.

‘Addressed to the same recipients’;

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-...-b2566661.html

Toto Wolff rejects Lewis Hamilton sabotage claims as Mercedes report email to police
    Having reported anonymous allegations to authorities, team chief hits out at ‘lunatics’ who accused him of working against British driver
    21 June 2024
    Tom Cary, SENIOR SPORTS CORRESPONDENT, BARCELONA
    The Telegraph

The email, which had the subject line “A potential death warrant for Lewis” and which claimed to be from a member of the Mercedes team, was sent on June 10 to the same extensive F1 media list as another anonymous email sent out earlier this season following the Christian Horner allegations. It did not initially reach many of its intended recipients, including this correspondent’s, as it was picked up by Spam folders. The Telegraph has now seen it.

Wolff found support from Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur, who said no team would countenance sabotaging one of their own cars. “How you could imagine that the company with 1500 people working night and day, pushing like hell to bring upgrades each races, we could kill or damage one of the cars?”

McLaren’s Lando Norris also described the allegations as “the most stupid thing ever”. “Why would they want to take points away from their own driver?” he asked. “There are going to be things that Mercedes are working on that they are not going to be telling Lewis about. But that has always been the case [if a driver is leaving] and that is not the reason behind what is happening there. George is just doing a good job and people need to give George more credit.”

“The most stupid thing ever”;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...s-hamilton-f1/

Hamilton stuns after ‘upsetting’ email as Verstappen faces major Barcelona challenge: Practice Wrap.
    The British driver’s performance came just hours after Mercedes boss Toto Wolff confirmed police were investigating an email from “a lunatic” claiming his team were sabotaging the car of Hamilton who will drive for Ferrari next season.
    21:55 Fri, 21 Jun 2024
    AFP from Fox Sports
    Fox Sports (Australia)

Lewis Hamilton led a finely balanced second practice for Mercedes on Friday ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix with Max Verstappen’s Red Bull only fifth. Hamilton’s lap of 1min 13.264s lifted him atop the timesheets on a sun-blessed day in Catalonia ahead of home hero Carlos Sainz, appearing at his last Spanish Grand Prix weekend as a Ferrari driver.

A visibly angry Wolff spoke out in the strongest terms possible over the “upsetting” email which he denied had come from a member of Mercedes’ 1500 workforce and which has been sent to Formula One’s major players including the FIA. “This was not from a member of the team, this email is upsetting, somebody talking about death,” he said. “These lunatics, all those mad people out there - take a shrink.”

‘Hamilton stuns after ‘upsetting’ email’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...5883a75ea43fb2

Lewis Hamilton on top in Barcelona F1 practice after dramatic day at Mercedes
    Jun 22, 2024
    The Straits Times

Lewis Hamilton's practice performance came just hours after Mercedes boss Toto Wolff confirmed police were investigating an email from “a lunatic” who had claimed the team was sabotaging Hamilton's car. The June 23 race is the first of a triple header as Formula One returns to Europe where three-time world champion Verstappen was generally expected to reassert his superiority after missing out on two of the past four races.

But on the evidence of the June 21 opening two practice sessions, Verstappen - who leads the championship by 56 points - has a real fight on his hands in a refreshing turn of events for impartial F1 fans. In third came the McLaren of Lando Norris, followed by the surprisingly quick Alpine of Pierre Gasly.

Verstappen could only muster fifth ahead of Charles Leclerc in the other Ferrari, who earlier this week had acted as Olympic torch bearer on his very own streets of Monaco where he had claimed his maiden home Grand Prix in May. After all the data-crunching from opening practice drivers emerged for the late afternoon session, with Verstappen straight away reporting his Red Bull’s “weird understeer”.

‘Dramatic day at Mercedes’;

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...ay-at-mercedes

Toto Wolff denies claims Mercedes team is 'sabotaging' Lewis Hamilton over Ferrari move
    F1 rocked as police probe Hamilton 'sabotage' claim.
    June 22, 2024
    Damien McCartney
    Channel 9's Wide World of Sports

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said police are investigating the source of an email sent to journalists and rival F1 teams alleging the team is "sabotaging" Lewis Hamilton's car. It's not known if the "team" is Mercedes itself, or Hamilton's supporters, who refer themselves as Team Lewis or Team LH.

Hamilton said he had not seen the email, but also dismissed the accusations. "There are always things that can be better within a team and that comes through conversations, through communication, and that's what we're consistently working on," he said. "But we're all in the same boat, we're all working hard together and we all want to finish on a high.”

'Sabotaging';

https://www.nine.com.au/sport/motors...22-p5jnur.html

‘What we’ve been chasing’ – George Russell hails Mercedes W15 breakthrough at Spanish GP

21 Jun 2024
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

George Russell was beaming after the Mercedes W15’s impressive practice performance at the Spanish Grand Prix, claiming “this is what we’ve been chasing for a while.” The W15’s improved pace continued in practice in Barcelona, where Russell’s team-mate Lewis Hamilton set the pace in FP2.

Hamilton went on to report that the car was “feeling really great” on Friday, with the seven-time World Champion hoping to “hold on to the Red Bulls, Ferraris and McLarens” over the remainder of the weekend.

Hamilton’s comments were echoed by Russell – classified fourth and eighth in FP1 and FP2 respectively – who claimed Mercedes have now found what they’ve been looking for, having been restricted to just a single victory since the ground-effect rules were introduced in F1 2022.

‘What we’ve been chasing’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george...ugh-spanish-gp

Lewis Hamilton's upbeat verdict after heading Spanish GP practice
    Lewis Hamilton reflects on an impressive day for Mercedes at the Spanish Grand Prix.
    21 Jun 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Lewis Hamilton believes Mercedes are “definitely in a better place” after showing great speed once again in Friday F1 practice for the Spanish Grand Prix. While Hamilton isn’t focusing on the lap times, he’s adamant the Mercedes W15 is feeling better to drive.

“P1 was so so. I went in the direction with the car, we learned a lot in that session,” he said. “P2 definitely felt quite a bit better. We made some good changes. The car felt really great today. Very hot, the track. Very tough for the tyres especially on the long run.”

“It doesn’t feel like we’re too far off. I won’t take much notice of lap times, necessarily. The car is definitely in a better place. We’ve got work to do to improve it overnight to hold onto the Red Bulls, McLarens and Ferraris.”

‘Upbeat verdict’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105093...sh-gp-practice

Spanish GP data: Red Bull weak spot discovered as F1 2024 rivals gain ground
    21 Jun 2024
    Pablo Hidalgo
    PlanetF1.com

Friday Free Practice day for the Spanish GP has confirmed that we will have a very close fight for the podium this weekend, a trend we have been seeing in recent races. However, the talk of the return of Red Bull’s superior dominance has fallen apart… at least for the time being.

Max Verstappen has complained of understeer and lack of grip on the rear of his car and the data shows that despite being fast in the first and third sector, in the second sector – the slowest and most twisty – Red Bull has major problems compared to its rivals.

‘Red Bull weak spot discovered’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/spanis...ls-gain-ground

Perez: Red Bull ‘lost track’ with FP2 changes at F1 Spanish GP
    18:29 Fri, 21 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Sergio Perez thinks that Red Bull “lost track somewhere” with the alterations made on his side of the garage during second practice at Formula 1’s Spanish Grand Prix. Having been within the top five positions in the opening practice session, Perez believes that the set-up tweaks made to his RB20 in FP2 were behind his sudden drop.

“I think it started the day well, but then into FP2 we did quite a bit of changes and I think we lost track somewhere, plenty of things to analyse,” Perez said. “We’ve done a lot of changes, we’ve explored the car quite a bit, so hopefully we are able to pick the right bits going into tomorrow.”

Asked how crucial qualifeing will be on a circuit where passing has not tended to be straightforward compared to other venues, Perez replied: “Super, super crucial. With the lack of overtaking around this place, it’s going to be very important to be able to qualify well, to be able to get into a good position on Sunday.”

“Super, super crucial”;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...f1-spanish-gp/

Ferrari upgrades: What upgrades have Ferrari brought to Spanish GP?
    21:14 Fri, 21 Jun 2024
    Joe Krishnan
    Total Motorsport

Ferrari upgrades: What changes have been made? Ferrari’s upgrades are comprised of seven changes to their SF-24 car, with modifications to the rear wing, engine cover, floor fences, floor body, floor edge, diffuser and the Halo.

The new rear wing has been designed to bring higher downforce, with changes to the top and lower sections of the rear wing. This includes an introduction of more loaded top and lower rear wing flap profiles, which will extend the car polar to give the team a bigger chance of finding extra speed at high-velocity circuits like Barcelona.

Their changes to the bodywork surround an increased sidepod and engine cover undercut to improve the flow quality over the floor edge and to the back of the car, giving clear aerodynamic benefits. Their changes to the bodywork surround an increased sidepod and engine cover undercut to improve the flow quality over the floor edge and to the back of the car, giving clear aerodynamic benefits.

‘Seven changes to their SF-24 car’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...anish-gp-2024/