Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Liked 388 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    So now politics has been an component in discussions on where to have rallies or not...

I don´t like it...

I know, I know, money rules. And guys in the top are like politicians for sure. To me quality of event is the importance not to rule out.
    When any championship decides to have a round/event at a place where their competitors might be at risk just by, well, being alive. That's what happens.

What an image to send to youngsters as well. Rally, an inclusive sport, open for anyone. Just not WRC, or at least, if you happen to have a boyfriend as a male driver, don't bring him to that event, and if you must. Don't hold hands or anything. Refrain from emotions if you win. Meh.

Liked 605 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrvold View Post
    When any championship decides to have a round/event at a place where their competitors might be at risk just by, well, being alive. That's what happens.

What an image to send to youngsters as well. Rally, an inclusive sport, open for anyone. Just not WRC, or at least, if you happen to have a boyfriend as a male driver, don't bring him to that event, and if you must. Don't hold hands or anything. Refrain from emotions if you win. Meh.
    You can’t change anything by sniping from the outside and sneering in.

Sounds like you need to read the latest travel advice to the country, and take into account their laws & cultures, that is part of what world travel is all about, right?
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 343 Times in 189 Posts
    So, if a male driver has a female co-driver that isn't his wife, does her father or brother have to ride in the back with the spare wheels?

4. Likes: sti123 (11th June 2024),ToKu (11th June 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    So, if a male driver has a female co-driver that isn't his wife, does her father or brother have to ride in the back with the spare wheels?
    Several female competitors in Dakar (both drivers and co-drivers) - it’s not an issue.

Liked 9,566 Times in 5,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE View Post
    Not sure I see the positivity - these checks were meant to have been done before the last decision.

A lot of young Irish are funded by a very very very very very (very) rich individual, not by the sport in Ireland itself.
    It wasnt possible in the timeframe, but that means it wasnt actually refused.

IMO there is a much better chance of success in the Rep of Ireland than there was in N.Ireland which had no proper Govt as well as a very tight budget.

And even if there is a wealthy benefactor for some drivers there, MI Rally Academy is still helping and much so than UK Motorsport ever does.

7. Likes: Jewy46 (11th June 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    It wasnt possible in the timeframe, but that means it wasnt actually refused.

IMO there is a much better chance of success in the Rep of Ireland than there was in N.Ireland which had no proper Govt as well as a very tight budget.

And even if there is a wealthy benefactor for some drivers there, MI Rally Academy is still helping and much so than UK Motorsport ever does.
    MI academy is funded by the same person.

And correct - the previous decision wasn’t refused, it was because the government hadn’t looked at the details so it all fell apart.

Liked 1,099 Times in 493 Posts
    May I ask, who is this mystery Mr Rich?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 9,566 Times in 5,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    John Coyne.

Liked 230 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    It's no mystery, it's well known that John has funded the Billy Coleman award and also the Academy and still does, which i think is a great credit to all involved.

https://motorsportireland.com/Public...y_Academy.aspx

https://www.mirallyacademy.ie/

As for the Rally Ireland episode now that's a whole different scenario, but at least they are trying which is a lot more than can be said for the MSA
    Last edited by satnav; 11th June 2024 at 19:38. Reason: Some links

Liked 388 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE View Post
    You can’t change anything by sniping from the outside and sneering in.

Sounds like you need to read the latest travel advice to the country, and take into account their laws & cultures, that is part of what world travel is all about, right?
    Yes, I know that they say LGBT-tourists are welcome. It also is noted that Saudi Arabia has some of the strictest anti-LGBTQ+ laws in the world, where same-sex sexual acts and identifying as LGBTQ+ are punishable by death, lifetime prison sentences, flogging, and chemical castration.
    That's not a place I would spend any money in. I've lost friends due to not feeling accepted, I know of racers that doesn't want to be honest, as they fear it will end their career. I cannot look at that, and with a good conscience pretend it's all fine because they would like my money.

13. Likes: drholden621 (12th June 2024),MentalParadox (30th June 2024),skarderud (19th June 2024),steve.mandzij (12th June 2024)