Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Max Verstappen holds nerve to win Canadian GP as Mercedes pair clash.
    Max Verstappen claimed a hard-fought victory at the Formula 1 2024 Canadian Grand Prix as the rain wreaked havoc in Montreal on Sunday.
    9 June 2024
    Joe Krishnan
    Total Motorsport

The Dutchman bided his time and made his strategy work to claim maximum points in Montreal. Red Bull also stretched out their lead by 25 points in both championships after a double retirement for Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz, compounding a miserable weekend for Ferrari.

The Red Bull star was denied pole by the virtue of setting his lap time later than George Russell but he was patient and bided his time, waiting for the track to dry up before showing his speed. Despite facing two safety car restarts, the championship leader kept his composure and claimed maximum points in Canada.

‘Bided his time and made his strategy work’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...sell-hamilton/

Canadian GP: Race Results
    Full results from the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
    10 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps/Diff

1 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 70

2 4 Lando Norris McLaren 3.879

3 63 George Russell Mercedes 4.317

4 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 4.915

5 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 10.199

6 14 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 17.51

7 18 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 23.625

8 3 Daniel Ricciardo RB 28.672

9 10 Pierre Gasly Alpine 30.021

10 31 Esteban Ocon Alpine 30.313

‘Full results’;

https://speedcafe.com/canadian-gp-race-results/

Verstappen victorious in thrilling wet-to-dry F1 Canadian GP
    Motorsport Week

Motorsport Week

Red Bull Max Verstappen survived changeable conditions, several restarts and a tight challenge from rivals to emerge victorious in Formula 1’s Canadian Grand Prix.

Lando Norris had been on course to win for a second time but a rueful Safety Car hampered his hopes and left him second, while polesitter George Russell was third. The intermittent showers had been prevalent in the build-up to the start and more rain was scheduled to arrive, but the conditions were adequate for a standing start.

‘Verstappen victorious’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...1-canadian-gp/

Canadian GP: Max Verstappen triumphs in instant wet-dry classic in Montréal
    09 Jun 2024
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen took victory in an absolute thriller of a Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday, with Lando Norris and George Russell rounding out the podium in Montréal.

With multiple leaders and varying conditions throughout, it was the reigning World Champion who took track position under Safety Car conditions from Norris, who had been leading, but Verstappen held onto first place in a Canadian Grand Prix that is highly likely to be mentioned as a contender to be the race of the season.

Verstappen was able to bring his Red Bull home in first place from Norris in a thrilling victory for the reigning World Champion, with Russell and Hamilton in third and fourth – though Russell’s contact with Piastri will be investigated after the race. Whichever way you look at it, the 2024 Canadian Grand Prix will not be forgotten any time soon.

‘Wet-dry classic ‘;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/canadi...24-race-report

Verstappen beats Norris to victory in thrilling wet/dry Canadian GP
    09 Jun 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

Max Verstappen and Red Bull bounced back from their Monaco struggles as they returned to winning ways in an action-packed Canadian Grand Prix, overcoming rain showers, multiple Safety Car periods, restarts and a stern challenge from behind to lead home Lando Norris. Verstappen followed pole-sitting Mercedes driver George Russell in the wet early stages of the race until a charging Norris overhauled them both in improving conditions, only for an ill-timed Safety Car – brought out when Logan Sargeant crashed – to drop the McLaren man to third.

Verstappen mastered that restart and further showers to maintain his lead, which he also protected when the track dried up and the field switched from intermediate tyres to slicks, and again following a second Safety Car period triggered by Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon colliding. While the reigning world champion ultimately surged towards the chequered flag, Norris took second via a fierce mid-race battle with Russell, and the latter made do with third after some late scrapping with team mate Lewis Hamilton and the other McLaren of Oscar Piastri.

‘World champion ultimately surged towards the chequered flag’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...DTWC3pJBwiaboI

Red Bull's Max Verstappen wins third straight Canadian F1 Grand Prix in Montreal
    09 Jun 2024
    CTV News Montreal

Formula One leader Max Verstappen drove to his 60th career victory Sunday at the Canadian Grand Prix. Verstappen became the third driver to three-peat at the Canadian GP, joining seven-time world champions Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton.

The 26-year-old Red Bull driver started second on the grid behind George Russell at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

The race started with a soaking wet track on a gloomy day in Montreal. Blue skies emerged 10 minutes in but rain showers returned periodically throughout the afternoon, causing tricky conditions.

‘Third straight Canadian F1 Grand Prix win’;

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/red-bull...real-1.6919742

2024 Canadian Grand Prix: Norris emerges from pits in the lead but is passed immediately by Verstappen
    09 Jun 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Lando Norris pitted for new tyres on Lap 48 and emerged just in the lead of the race, only for Max Verstappen to pass him immediately for P1.

‘Passed immediately’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...14341739620629

'Focus, George. Focus' The errors that cost Russell Canadian GP win.
    The errors that cost George Russell Canadian Grand Prix win.
    9 Jun 2024
    Sky Sports

'Focus, George. Focus';

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...anadian-gp-win

F1 - Verstappen makes the right calls to win rain-affected Canadian GP ahead of Norris and Russell
    FIA (Press Release)

Max Verstappen navigated rain showers and Safety cars, and made the right call on a move to slick tyres to take his third straight Canadian Grand Prix win at the end of an enthralling race at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Second place went to McLaren’s Lando Norris, while George Russell took Mercedes’ first podium of the year with third.

“It was a pretty crazy race. A lot of things were happening, and we really had to be on top of our calls,” said Verstappen afterwards. “As a team, we just did really well today. We remained calm. I think we pitted at the right time. Of course, the Safety Car worked out nicely for us, but even after that, I think we were managing the gaps quite well. I love it. That was a lot of fun. Those kind of races, you need them once in a while.”

“We remained calm”;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-verstapp...is-and-russell

Verstappen comes out top in a wild and wet race in Montreal
    9 Jun 2024.
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Max Verstappen took victory in a rain-hit Canadian Grand Prix but it was far from the usual calm dominance for Red Bull with half a dozen drivers looking in the running for victory at various points. George Russell led at the start from pole but was passed by McLaren's Lando Norris before the half-way point. A failed try at an overcut and bad timing with a safety car left Norris defending P2 from Russell at the finish.

It was a bleak outing for Ferrari and Williams, with both teams seeing a double DNF. Sergio Perez also had a luckless day, clipping Pierre Gasly at the start and subsequently damaging his rear wing forcing him to retire.

Ricciardo recovered from his jump start to finish eighth but his RB team mate Yuki Tsunoda had a late spin onto the grass at turn 9 dropped out of the top ten. That allowed the two Alpines of Gasly and Ocon to collect the points bounty instead. For all their early heroics, Haas pair Hulkenberg and Magnussen just missed out.

‘Wild and wet race’;

https://f1i.com/news/510475-verstapp...-montreal.html

F1 - 2024 Canadian Grand Prix Post-Race Press Conference Transcript
    FIA (Press Release)

TRACK INTERVIEWS (Conducted by Martin Brundle)
    Q: Max, a challenging weekend, a dramatic race, and through it all, you emerged with a great victory. That was a champion's drive. Max VERSTAPPEN: Yeah, it was a pretty crazy race. A lot of things were happening, and we really had to be on top of our calls. And I think as a team, we just did really well today. We remained calm. I think we pitted at the right time. Of course, the Safety Car worked out nicely for us, but even after that, I think we were managing the gaps quite well. Yeah, I love it. That was a lot of fun. Those kind of races, you need them once in a while.

Q: Lando, brilliant. What a wild, wild race that was for you. Lando NORRIS: It was. Yeah, it was chaos. It was eventful. To be honest, I felt like I drove a good race, the whole time, from start to finish. The first two stints were very strong. I had an amazing pace. But then the Safety Car had me over. Just like it helped me in Miami, it's now had me back over. So honestly, I thought it was a pretty perfect race from my side. just a bit unlucky but that's what it is. But it was good fun. These conditions, so stressful inside the car but very enjoyable at the same time.

Q: George, tenacity is a word that springs to mind. I mean, you stuck with it. You had a few adventures during that race, but you're on the podium. George RUSSELL: Yeah, it felt like a missed opportunity, to be honest. We were really quick at the beginning of the race on the Inters, and then obviously Lando came through really fast, and then we jumped back onto the slicks, made a couple of mistakes out there, just pushing the limits and paid the price for it. But nevertheless, first podium of the year, we truly had a really fast car this weekend, and to be back in the mix fighting for victory was really fun. That's what Formula 1 is about, and that's why we go racing.

‘Post-Race Press Conference Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-can...nce-transcript

2024 Canadian Grand Prix: Norris emerges from pits in the lead but is passed immediately by Verstappen
    9 Jun 2024.

Lando Norris pitted for new tyres on Lap 48 and emerged just in the lead of the race, only for Max Verstappen to pass him immediately for P1.

‘Passed immediately’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...14341739620629

Lando Norris bemoans McLaren strategy mistake at Canadian Grand Prix and insists: 'We should have won!'
    9 June 2024
    Ben Nagle
    MailOnline

Lando Norris has bemoaned McLaren's decision to stay out on track when their rivals pitted at the Canadian Grand Prix, insisting 'we should have won the race.' Lando Norris was leading the race on lap 25 when the first safety car came out to clear away Logan Sargeant's.

While his rivals behind headed straight to the pits, Norris stayed out on track - and it turned out to be the wrong call, sending him tumbling back to third place two laps later. Reflecting on the decision, Norris told reporters: 'We should have won the race today and we didn't. It's frustrating, [because] we had the pace. It's as simple as that, we didn't do a good enough job as a team to box when we should have done and not get stuck behind the safety car.”

'This was just making a wrong call, it's on me and it's on the team, it's something we'll discuss after. We should have won today, we're at a level now where we're not satisfied with a second, the target is to win.'

'We should have won!';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rand-Prix.html

‘Horrible’: Martin Brundle left questioning ‘hopeless’ Charles Leclerc call during the Canadian Grand Prix
    Sun 9 June 2024 22:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Martin Brundle questions ‘hopeless’ Charles Leclerc strategy in Canada. Leclerc was struggling with an engine issue from the start of the race that was losing him 0.5 seconds of time every lap. He was running in 10th at one point, but a long pit stop at the end of the first safety car was needed to try and fix his engine problems. Ferrari also put Leclerc on the hard tyres in Canada which Brundle questioned given the weather forecast. He was running on his own at the back of the pack and was quickly lapped by the front runners.

Commenting on the Monegasque driver’s tyre change, David Croft said: “We ride onboard with Charles Leclerc, it is teaming with rain and he is trying to tiptoe around the first few corners.” Brundle added: “Yeah, but it’s hopeless, the slower you go, the less grip you’ve got. The less grip you’ve got, the slower you go and then you’re into a horrible snowball effect like that.” Croft replied: “This is not a good afternoon as it stands for Charles Leclerc,” while Brundle concluded: “Or Ferrari indeed.”

‘Hopeless Charles Leclerc strategy in Canada’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/mar...an-grand-prix/

Self-critical Lewis Hamilton deflated by “one of the worst races I’ve driven”
    Lewis Hamilton has described the Canadian Grand Prix as "one of the worst races" he has ever driven in F1.
    9 Jun 2024
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

A despondent Lewis Hamilton says he will “go back to the drawing board” after labelling the F1 Canadian Grand Prix as “one of the worst races that I’ve driven”.

“Not really much different [to how I felt yesterday]. Over the weekend just a really poor performance from myself,” Hamilton told Sky Sports F1.

“Yesterday some other things came into it, mostly myself, and then today one of the worst races that I’ve driven, lots of mistakes. But of course if I’d qualified better I would’ve been in a much better position so it is what it is. I will go back to the drawing board.”

‘Despondent’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105048...ces-ive-driven

Toto Wolff: Mercedes Canadian GP win was a long shot or a dream
    Mercedes started on pole but finished third in Canada after a series of errors by George Russell
    9 June 2024
    Brandon Sutton

Toto Wolff admitted Mercedes could not have won the 2024 Canadian Grand Prix through George Russell, although they did dream about it for one brief moment before Max Verstappen took off into the Montreal sunset.

“A victory was maybe a long shot,” Wolff told Sky Sports F1 after the race. “Or a short dream when George was on the hard and catching up, showing strong pace.”

“Maybe for a second we thought about it, but you mustn’t be too greedy. But we need to take the positives. The car has made a real step forward, we are bringing bits, and the development direction is true.”

‘Long shot’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...sell-hamilton/

Villeneuve vs Ricciardo war of words continues: He needs to man up!
    Jacques Villeneuve criticised Daniel Ricciardo have taken part in a public slanging match throughout the 2024 Canadian GP weekend
    9 June 2024
    John Smith
    Total Motorsport

Former F1 champion Villeneuve harshly criticised Ricciardo, urging the Australian to retire from the sport due to his underperformance. “The thing is, you have to judge a whole season, or a few years,” Villeneuve told Sky Sports F1. “He had a very good sprint race in Miami and a very good qualifying yesterday.”

“That is not enough, he has to carry on like this. Obviously it got to him because he reacted quite aggressively in a way that is not very professional because kids are listening to what he’s saying. And it was personal attacks about being hit on the head and stuff like that. That’s really that shouldn’t happen.”

“He should be able to take the punches, when you have a bad season… Man up! He’s had a good qualifying, he might have a good race today and that would be the right direction for him to carry on. He has to carry on like this. This is not enough.”

‘Needs to man up!’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...eds-to-man-up/

Daniel Ricciardo fires back at Jacques Villeneuve with X-rated response after viral analysis at Canadian GP
    9 Jun 2024.
    Ryan Smart
    SPORTbible

Daniel Ricciardo was left less than happy with Jacques Villeneuve after hearing what the former F1 world champion said about him at the Canadian Grand Prix. "He was beating a Vettel that was burnt out, that was trying to invent things with the car to go and win and was making a mess of his weekends. He was beating Verstappen for half of a season, when he 18 years old and just starting. That was it. He stopped beating anyone after that. I think it's his image that has kept him in F1 more than his actual results."

After qualifying P5, Ricciardo was unsurprisingly asked about comments from certain critics - and came out firing. "I've just been told, I don't listen or read, but yeah there's some people out there who... I won't give them the time of day," he began. "Top five, I've been quick all weekend, less than two tenths from pole. So they can eat s**t.”

"I think this year hasn't really been a question of whether I've still got the speed to do it, it's just the consistency. I haven't been able to show it week in, week out. It's definitely been more of a struggle than I thought. But I know the speed's there, it's just tapping into it. I look at myself first. You always try and fine-tune the car, but I feel like it's more about getting myself in that sweet point.”

‘X-rated response’;

https://www.sportbible.com/f1/daniel...11810-20240609

Jacques Villeneuve hits back at Daniel Ricciardo: “I got under his skin”
    10 Jun 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

1997 F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve has hit back at Daniel Ricciardo as their war of words continued at the Canadian Grand Prix. In response to Villeneuve, Ricciardo said: “I heard he’s been talking s**t. But he always does. I think he’s hit his head a few too many times. So I don’t know if he plays ice hockey or something.”

Villeneuve then gave his response to Ricciardo, claiming that he got “a little bit personal” and he should consider his responses in future. “His reaction was a little bit personal and he’s a role model,” Villeneuve said. “Like all these 20, you’re at the top level, you have to be responsible in your answers, professional. “Kids are listening to you. You cannot make it personal.”

“I’m happy to have learned that I knocked myself out too often playing ice hockey. But ultimately you will get criticism, you need a thick skin and I got under his skin but it got better for his driving. But it’s not enough, he needs to do more of this.”

“I got under his skin”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105050...under-his-skin

'A bit of a roasting': Christian Horner shares how Daniel Ricciardo reacted to Jacques Villeneuve ‘roasting’
    8 June 2024
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Christian Horner says Jacques Villeneuve ‘motivated’ Daniel Ricciardo. 1997 F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve has been intensely critical of Ricciardo in Montreal. Speaking on the F1 Show, he questioned why the eight-time race-winner was ‘still in F1’.

However, Horner stressed that Ricciardo was under no illusions about the need to improve. Reserve driver Liam Lawson is pushing for a 2025 seat in the background. “He’s had an up-and-down start to the year,” he said. “I think you gave him a bit of a roasting yesterday. He knows he’s got to deliver. You obviously motivated him because he looked in good form this morning.”

“You obviously motivated him”;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/chr...euve-roasting/

Marko not critical of Villeneuve's Ricciardo attack
    JUNE 10, 2024
    GrandPrix.com

When asked if Villeneuve is actually right about Ricciardo, Red Bull's top F1 consultant, Dr Marko, told Le Journal de Montreal: "I didn't hear his comment. But Daniel had to beat Yuki at Racing Bulls. This year, that is not the case. It is rather the opposite thing that is happening”, the 81-year-old added.

"Yuki is an emotional driver but now he manages to limit his mistakes. He was in demand by other teams. He is young and he fits our mould. That's why we've just extended his contract for another year”, Marko added.

‘Daniel had to beat Yuki at Racing Bulls’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/marko...do-attack.html

‘That’s the future’: Jacques Villeneuve believes Toto Wolff has made an ego-based decision for Mercedes 2025 line-up
    9 June 2024
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Villeneuve believes that Toto Wolff has made a decision based on his ‘ego’ to bring Kimi Antonelli into the team next year. The 17-year-old is testing behind the scenes for Mercedes but can’t take part in an FP1 session until August. While suggestions that he could replace Logan Sargeant before the end of the season have slowed down, it does seem as though the teenager is destined to be on the F1 grid next year.

Talking about their potential 2025 line-up, Villeneuve said: “Mercedes is not really an open door. It’s [Kimi] Antonelli’s team. That’s the future. “He’s been prepped for it. Toto will not have it any other way. There’s ego in there. He will prove to the world that he was right, that when Antonelli was 12, he knew that he was a future champion.”

‘Ego-based decision’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/jac...-2025-line-up/

'One-year deal': Villeneuve predicts Mercedes will give £154k-a-week driver one-year deal before hiring Kimi Antonelli
    8 June 2024
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Jacques Villeneuve says Mercedes will re-sign Valtteri Bottas then promote Kimi Antonelli. Speaking on the F1 Show at the Canadian Grand Prix, 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve suggested that Wolff would hold fire on signing Antonelli. Instead, he expects him to find a midfield seat for the Italian in 2025.

Wolff would need a stop-gap solution for next year, and Villeneuve says Valtteri Bottas will provide it. Bottas spent five years at the team between 2017 and 2020 and won 10 Grands Prix. “I guess Bottas will go to Mercedes,” he said. “They want a driver for one year. So who do they take? They take a driver that will accept a one-year deal, that already knows the team, has experience, to prepare the seat for Antonelli. Toto will have to find a team to put Antonelli somewhere for a year.”

'One-year deal';

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/sky...imi-antonelli/

Jacques Villeneuve embarrassed again as Fred Vasseur makes brutal six-word comment
    Jun 9, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Fred Vasseur piled more misery on 1997 F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve, telling the Canadian racer that he is ‘sometimes wrong’ after he started to explain his pre-race position on Ferrari’s competitiveness. The Scuderia endured a miserable Saturday with both Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz failing to make Q3.

Villeneuve, who has a reputation for his bold takes and unfiltered approach to speaking his mind, was chatting to Vasseur alongside fellow pundits Danica Patrick and Simon Lazenby. “Before the weekend, I was convinced that Ferrari…” he said, before the Ferrari team principal cut in: “Yeah, but sometimes you are wrong.”

'Jacques Villeneuve embarrassed again... OR WAS HE?'

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ian-Grand-Prix

Leclerc: Ferrari can’t ‘overreact’ despite double Canada F1 DNF
    9 Jun 2024
    Motorsport Week

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...canada-f1-dnf/

‘This one hurts’ – Leclerc pinpoints issue for Ferrari to look into after disastrous double Dnf in Canada
    10 Jun 2024

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...VtjINY2fPlGzkt

"This one hurts," admits Leclerc after double DNF for Ferrari
    10 Jun 2024
    Pitpass

https://www.pitpass.com/77932/This-o...NF-for-Ferrari

Verstappen wins 3rd straight Canadian Grand Prix for 60th F1 victory.
    Max Verstappen won the Canadian Grand Prix for the third straight year on Sunday for the Red Bull star's 60th Formula 1 victory and sixth in nine races this season.
    10-Jun-2024
    Sports Scene
    CGTN

"It's a lot of fun to drive these kinds of races now and then," Verstappen said. "You don't want it all the time because that's too stressful. But I had a lot of fun out there today."

Verstappen increased his season lead to 56 points over second-place Charles Leclerc of Ferrari. "As a team, we made the right calls today," said Verstappen, coming off a sixth-place finish in Monaco. "It's great to have three wins in a row here. I hope I can add more in the future."

"It's a lot of fun”;

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2024-06-1...pbnRdkc/p.html

International media reacts as Verstappen rebounds and Ferrari fails
    Check out what the world is talking about following the 2024 F1 Canadian Grand Prix!
    10 June 2024
    Samuel Coop
    17:37
    RacingNews365

���� The Times - 'Lando Norris denied by pitstop error as Max Verstappen gets back on track'
    In the United Kingdom, The Times focused on McLaren's decision not to pit Lando Norris when the safety car was first called after Logan Sargeant's crash.
    ���� La Gazzetta dello Sport - 'Ferrari, exaggerated (and worrying) ups and downs. Vasseur: "In Canada all the problems add up"'
    Unsurprisingly, most attention in La Gazzetta dello Sport was paid to the mis-firing Ferrari team, which led with quotes from team principal Frederic Vasseur.

���� L'Equipe - 'Verstappen returns to victory, Ferrari with its setbacks, return to normal at the Canadian GP'
    French sports outlet L'Equipe addressed two of the main talking points of the weekend - Verstappen's return to form and the complete loss of it for Ferrari.
    ���� De Telegraaf - 'Investigation into fans on circuit at GP Canada: 'This was an unacceptable situation'
    Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf turned its attention to the investigation into fans flooding onto the track before the race had finished.

���� BILD - 'Crazy toilet situation at the Canada race: Formula 1 stars have to use the same toilet as the fans'
    BILD in Germany covered the somewhat unusual situation of drivers sharing toilets with members of the public.
    ���� Herald Sun - 'Piastri misses podium in chaotic Canadian Grand Prix'
    Australian tabloid Herald Sun covered the country's two F1 stars, with an emphasis on Piastri missing out on a podium in a hectic race in Montreal.

‘International media reacts’;

https://racingnews365.com/internatio...-ferrari-fails

Red Bull having “too many problems” in “more difficult” season – Verstappen
    10th June 2024
    Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Too many things are going wrong for Red Bull, says Max Verstappen despite scoring his sixth grand prix victory from the first nine rounds yesterday. Verstappen came from second on the grid to win the race but missed a significant amount of practice time on Friday due to problem with his power unit. He has also been unhappy with his RB20’s performance over kerbs and bumps in recent races.

“The last few races have been quite difficult,” he said after Sunday’s race. “But not only just difficult, too many problems as well, throughout the whole weekend. So we need to have a cleaner weekend. Even in the race now, we’re struggling a lot with the kerbing and the bumps. So we definitely have an area we can work on and definitely improve the car by quite a big margin if we get that under control.”

“I think we are all very focused. We are still doing a lot of things right. But for whatever reason, we are not in that same flow as we had last year where everything just seemed to be going really well for us at most places, no reliability issues. For whatever reason, it’s all a bit more difficult this year.”

“Too many problems”;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/06/10/...on-verstappen/

Max Verstappen’s ‘damage done’ verdict on Sergio Perez after Canadian GP mess
    10 Jun 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Failing to score a single point in the last two races, Max Verstappen is hoping Sergio Perez can get “back up there” as he needs his team-mate to help him in the championship. Verstappen is hoping his team-mate’s troubles are a “one-off”. “I think the damage was done yesterday, of course, for Checo,” he said. “Starting in the back, it’s very hard in these conditions. Then, of course, I saw him retire with the damage.”

“So I knew that I had to score big, of course, to not let the other teams catch up a lot. But I do think at the end of the day, as long as you keep winning, so you score 25 points, even if the others finish P2, P3, you don’t really lose out too much. And then you kind of can afford sometimes these one-offs.”

“But of course, naturally, we always want the two cars to be up there. And I also have no doubt that that will change very soon again. We just need to work on our car, to be honest, to make it a bit easier to drive also, probably, to feel a bit more comfortable. And then I’m sure that we have both cars back up there like we had in the beginning of the season.”

‘Damage done’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...in-title-fight

"We were lucky with the safety car", says Verstappen as Perez endured another shock result
    10 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

The early part of yesterday's Canadian Grand Prix saw Max Verstappen fail to respond to George Russell's and then Lando Norris' pace, but a well-timed safety car helped him to take over the lead which he converted into another brilliant victory. Reigning champion Max Verstappen ran second early on as he tried to chase down pole-sitter George Russell. However, with the track drying up quickly, Lando Norris displayed dominant pace which enabled him to overtake Verstappen before going past Russell as well.

The Briton started to build up an ominous advantage, escaping from Verstappen by almost eight seconds within a few laps. However, a Safety Car neutralised Norris’ advantage, and the Briton pitted a lap later during the SC interruption than his rivals. It enabled the Dutchman to emerge in the lead after the restart. When the field pitted for slick tyres, Verstappen shortly fell behind Norris, but he had enough heat in his slick tyres to retake the lead and hold it until the finish.

"We were lucky with the safety car";

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24765

Verstappen: Red Bull ‘not in the flow’ despite Canada F1 win
    10 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

The Dutchman expressed that prevailing was even more “rewarding” as he overcame close competition and treacherous conditions to return to the podium’s top step. “It’s very rewarding,” Verstappen stated. “I mean, it’s never an easy race. It’s easy to make mistakes, especially on the inters when they were almost becoming slicks.”

“It was very easy to go off because the track was drying in most places, but in some corners it was still a bit too wet to go to slicks. That made it just very, very difficult. But yeah, it’s a lot of fun to drive these kind of races now and then. You don’t want it all the time because that’s too stressful, but I had a lot of fun out there today.”

‘Not in the flow’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...canada-f1-win/

Horner after Max' win in Montreal: 'Max was incredible'
    10 June 2024
    Niels Hendrix
    Verstappen.nl

Max Verstappen won the hectic Canadian Grand Prix and Christian Horner, Oracle Red Bull Racing team principal and CEO, said: “In a race like today with those variable conditions, so many things can go wrong but we made the right calls at the right times.”

“McLaren were fast on the inters at the beginning of the race, but getting the crossover onto the slick tyre was really crucial, and once we gave away track position, we had some heat in the tyres and could really push. Max was incredible today.”

Horner continues: “In those conditions you’re driving with your senses, but everything must work in unison and the team lifted itself to the adverse conditions and delivered in every area. There are so many things you can get wrong on a day like today, but happily we got them right.”

'Max was incredible’;

https://news.verstappen.com/en/article/5495/

Norris on the Safety Car in Canada: ‘In Miami it helped me win, today it helped me lose’.
    McLaren’s Lando Norris was philosophical after missing out on a second career victory in Canada, but insisted “we had the speed to win” after coming second to Max Verstappen.
    09 June 2024

‘Today it helped me lose’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/no...19452515822548

Frustrated Norris says pit stop mistake cost McLaren race “we should have won”
    10th June 2024
    Keith Collantine

Lando Norris says he should have won the Canadian Grand Prix but missed an opportunity to pit when the Safety Car was first deployed. However Norris revealed there had been enough time for McLaren to bring him in when the Safety Car came out.

“We should have won the race today and we didn’t, so it’s frustrating,” he said. “We had the pace – probably not in the dry at the end but it turned out it didn’t really matter too much.”

“But we should have won today, simple as that. We didn’t do a good enough job as a team to box when we should have done and not get stuck behind the Safety Car.”

“We should have won”;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/06/10/...ould-have-won/

McLaren reveals fine margins in race-defining Norris call
    McLaren team principal Andrea Stella has explained how close Lando Norris was to being pitted initially when the first safety car of the Canadian GP was called.
    10 June 2024
    Samuel Coop & Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

McLaren team principal Andrea Stella has explained how close Lando Norris was to being able to retain his lead during the first safety car period at the Canadian Grand Prix. "We took a quick look. It looks like he [Lando Norris] was one and a half seconds from the pit - from the time when you actually needed to turn, or you're going straight," Stella told media including RacingNews365 when discussing how close Norris was to being able to pit ahead of Verstappen, Russell and Piastri. "In hindsight, we could have told the driver 'in case of safety car - pit', so he would have just reacted instinctively to pit."

Part of the problem for the Woking team that led to Norris missing the opportunity to pit, was that it was torn between bringing him in and making him stay out anyway. Stella underlined the dynamic weather as playing a key factor in trying to determine the best course of action, whilst pointing out how unlucky Norris was with the timing of the safety car more generally. We were monitoring the intensity of the rain," the 53-year-old said. "And this intensity in the last few minutes was kind of reducing.”

“So we didn't want to pit unnecessarily for a new set of inters [intermediate tyres] when this set of inters could have been good enough in case of a very light rain. I think it was much easier for the car behind to kinda do the opposite, for instance, as Lando. I think that's a little bit unlucky, not only with the timing of when the safety guard was deployed, with respect to Lando's position on track, but also the time of the safety car in the race, because at that time, Lando was by far the fastest car around on track."

‘Fine margins in race-defining Norris call’;

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-re...ng-norris-call

McLaren respond to Lando Norris missed Canada GP win frustration in Mercedes admission
    10 Jun 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

While Lando Norris feels that McLaren left a win on the table in Canada, team boss Andrea Stella, who admits the safety car timing was unfortunate, also highlighted a pace deficit to Mercedes in expressing satisfaction with the result.

After passing Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Mercedes’ George Russell for the race lead before escaping into the distance, a pivotal point for Norris in the victory battle arrived when Logan Sargeant spun out at the exit of Turn 6, triggering the safety car.

Norris stopped the lap after Russell and Verstappen, despite Norris revealing that he did have time to also dive into the pit lane upon the safety car deployment, but they opted against it. McLaren team principal Stella, speaking to media after the race, confirmed that it could have been done, admitting that Norris got unlucky with the safety car timing having returned to the race now P3.

‘McLaren respond’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...ercedes-faster

McLaren reveals complications behind Canada F1 pit stop error
    10 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

McLaren has revealed how positioning on track and the weather conditions created the error in pitting Lando Norris a lap too late in Formula 1’s Canadian Grand Prix.

Stella explained how Norris trundling down the back straight when the pace car was deployed created a split-second decision on the pit wall that McLaren got wrong.

‘Split-second decision’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...it-stop-error/

McLaren rues safety car after losing a potential victory in Montreal
    11 Jun 2024
    Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

Despite finishing second and fifth at the Canadian Grand Prix, McLaren drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri were left frustrated to miss out on an even better result in the eventful and wild race of Montreal.

Although he had a second chance to win when he stayed out on the inters as Verstappen and Russell pitted, but he led briefly when he rejoined the track, but was unable to hold on to the lead. “That was eventful! To be honest, I felt like I drove a good race from start to finish. The conditions were so stressful inside the car but very enjoyable at the same time.

"I’m happy with second. It was good fun out there and we’ve scored good points for the team. The car’s been great all weekend, so thanks to everyone at McLaren. It’s nice to be so close and on the podium again. We’ll keep fighting to get back onto the top step," Norris concluded.

‘McLaren rues safety car’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24767

Canadian GP Proves Lando Norris Is Max Verstappen’s Main Rival In 2024
    17:49 Mon, 10 Jun 2024.
    Dan Cancian
    Forbes

Reports of Max Verstappen’s and Red Bull’s demise were, it would appear, if not exaggerated certainly premature. The suggestion Red Bull’s stranglehold on Formula 1 could at long last be waning were strengthened on Saturday, when George Russell put his Mercedes on pole position ahead of Verstappen.

The Dutchman now leads Charles Leclerc by 56 points after the Monegasque followed victory on home soil with a dismal weekend in Canada, which ended in a double retirement for Ferrari. Lando Norris, second in Montreal, is seven points further back but consolidated his position as arguably Verstappen’s most serious rival this year and the in-form driver at this stage of the season.

McLaren have closed the gap on Red Bull. “Yes, we should have won the race today and we didn’t,” a frustrated Norris said after the race. “Frustrating, we had the pace. We should have won today, simple as that.” Norris’ frustration speaks volumes for how far McLaren have come in closing the gap to Red Bull. Excluding his win in Miami, the second place in Canada was Norris’ fourth podium of the season in nine races, compared with seven in the whole of last year.

‘Lando Norris Is Max Verstappen’s Main Rival’;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dancanc...rival-in-2024/

Horner: McLaren blew Canada F1 win with "crucial" slick call
    09:12 Mon, 10 Jun 2024.
    Jonathan Noble
    Motorsport.com

While McLaren had lost the lead to Verstappen at the first safety car stop for Logan Sargeant's stranded Williams, Horner does not think that was the key moment that opened the door for his team's victory.

Instead, he suggests that the "crucial" decision came later in the race when drivers started moving across to the slicks and Norris elected to run longer than everyone else. With the slicks taking a while to come up to temperature, Norris's decision appeared to be inspired as his inters remained faster for a bit.

"I thought we were in a much better window as the circuit dried out," explained Horner. "We were able to hold a consistent gap and then it was all about getting the crossover at the right time, because the first sector was pretty damp. And when you drive out of the pitlane, you lose a huge amount of the temperature.”

‘ "Crucial" slick call’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...-win/10621801/

Russell after first podium of 2024: ‘I’m so excited now for the rest of the season’.
    P3 George Russell was left with mixed emotions after his first podium of the year, on a day when perhaps more might have been possible – but he was highly encouraged by the pace shown in the Mercedes at this race.
    09 June 2024

‘I’m so excited’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ru...19656263462547

2024 Canadian Grand Prix: Russell takes back P3 from Hamilton to seal podium finish
    09 June 2024

George Russell dropped back to P5 in the final laps after an aborted move on Oscar Piastri, but two laps before the flag he battled back past his Mercedes team mate Lewis Hamilton to seal his first podium finish of the year.

‘Russell takes back P3’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...16806996276915

Russell: Errors in vital moments thwarted Canada F1 win shot
    22:53 Sun, 09 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

George Russell rued errors at vital moments preventing both him and the Mercedes Formula 1 team from having a better chance at winning the Canadian Grand Prix. Russell utilised Mercedes’ renewed pace to take pole position and lead the opening laps, but he dropped behind Lando Norris and Max Verstappen as the track dried.

“I think if you told us ahead of this weekend and P3, we may not have believed you, to be honest,” Russell, who delivered Mercedes’ first podium this season, reviewed. But as Max [Verstappen] said, it was such a tricky race out there for everybody. You put a millimetre wide and you’re off.”

“And I think for me, it was just one too many mistakes at key moments that cost us a shot of fighting with these two towards the end of the race.”

‘Errors in vital moments’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...a-f1-win-shot/

Russell rues mistakes in Canadian GP ‘missed opportunity’
    The Mercedes driver secured Mercedes' first Grand Prix podium of the season
    June 9, 2024
    James Fiorucci
    FormulaNerds

Starting from pole position after setting the fastest time during Saturday’s Qualifying session, Russell maintained the race lead in the opening stages of the 70-lap event. Pushing hard to keep Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and McLaren’s Lando Norris behind, the Briton wore away his Intermediate tyres quicker than those around him.

This allowed Norris to snatch P1 from his compatriot on lap 21, and Russell’s woes continued as he ran wide at the final chicane and handed second position to the lurking Verstappen. But Russell’s error-strewn afternoon didn’t end there. There was no denying the 26-year-old had the pace to win, as he opted to switch onto a fresh set of Medium tyres on lap 45 as the track dried out.

He repassed Norris to claim P2, only to lose the position two laps later as he yet again ran wide at the sector one chicane. One more error completed a trio of mistakes for the British driver. Attempting to pass Oscar Piastri with just a handful of laps remaining, Russell made contact with the McLaren and instead of climbing up a position, lost a place to teammate Lewis Hamilton.

‘Russell rues mistakes’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ru...d-opportunity/

Russell suffers 'missed opportunity' despite breaking Mercedes duck
    George Russell occupied the top-five places in the Canadian GP at some stage. Third was the upshot from a wild race.
    9 June 2024
    Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

"It felt like a missed opportunity to be honest," said Russell. "We were really quick at the beginning of the race on the inters, and then Lando came through really fast. We jumped onto the slicks but made a couple of mistakes out there just pushing the limits, paid the price for it, but nevertheless the first podium of the year.”

"We truly had a really fast car this weekend and to be back in the mix fighting for the victory was...we've affirmed that's what Formula 1 is all about and why we go racing." On hard tyres in the first of his dry rubber stints, Russell appeared to have a chance of reeling in Verstappen for the lead, only to make a mistake out of Turn 8 that allowed Norris to sweep by.

It was arguably one of two pivotal moments of his race personally. Asked whether he felt he could have caught and passed Verstappen for the lead, he replied: "I think so. We had the pace, Max was very strong at the point in the race but then when we put the mediums on at the end and we were really fast."

'Missed opportunity';

https://racingnews365.com/russell-su...-mercedes-duck

First podium of 2024 feels like missed opportunity for Russell
    23:50 Sun, 09 Jun 2024.
    The Straits Times

After taking pole position for the first time since 2022, Russell led for the first 21 laps of a wet to dry race before McLaren's Lando Norris and then Red Bull's eventual winner Max Verstappen went past. Russell regained second place from Norris on lap 27 during the first safety car period, lost it again when he pitted on lap 45 for hards and took it back on lap 49.

Norris was back in front when Russell then lost control on a damp kerb and ran wide. "Focus, George, focus," team boss Toto Wolff told him over the radio. Third became fourth, behind Oscar Piastri, and team mate Lewis Hamilton then seized his opportunity after Russell came off worse as he tried to overtake McLaren's Australian.

Russell, who had fresh medium tyres for the closing laps after pitting during the second safety car period, then passed both Piastri and Hamilton, who was on hards, to get back on the final step.

‘"Focus, George, focus," team boss Toto Wolff told him over the radio’;

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...ty-for-russell

Wolff admits Russell could have avoided Canada F1 mistakes
    11:18 Mon, 10 Jun 2024
    Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Asked whether he felt Mercedes lost an opening to earn a first win since November 2022, Wolff told Sky Sports F1: “A victory was maybe a long shot, or a short dream.”

“When George was on the Hard, catching up and was showing really strong pace, maybe for a second we thought about it, but you mustn’t be too greedy. On one side there was brilliance in the race, and then on the other side, maybe he could have avoided [the mistakes],” Wolff proclaimed.

“I think the pass [on Piastri] was never on in that corner. As a driver, what makes his overtakes good are that he takes a risk and he drives very hard. And this one was maybe a bit too ambitious, cost a position, but he regained that afterwards.”

“You mustn’t be too greedy”;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...a-f1-mistakes/

George Russell mistakes exposed as Mercedes face major concern
    The Briton admitted his errors cost Mercedes a potential victory in Canada, and it's not the first time he has made mistakes under pressure
    10 June 2024
    Joe Krishnan
    Total Motorsport

With Russell, a concerning pattern has started to take shape. When he is either on the cusp of a podium finish or under pressure, the Mercedes star tends to get flustered and commit errors that he doesn’t normally make. At the 2023 Singapore GP, he was fighting for the race win but crashed into the wall on the final lap, losing 15 points in the process.

Then in Las Vegas, Russell was at fault for a collision with Verstappen at Turn 11 that landed him a five-second penalty from the stewards. He hadn’t looked in his mirrors and turned in on the Red Bull driver, with both cars losing vital pieces of bodywork. As a consequence, he was demoted to P8 from fourth after the penalty was applied.

It is surprising, given his driving style offers a throwback to the likes of Jenson Button, with calm movements behind the steering wheel and an elegant handling of the car. But his behaviour changes when he is in direct combat with another car, leading to desperate and ill-timed moves. This is his sixth season in F1; it’s not like Russell is a rookie at Williams anymore. And while it’s fair to say every driver gets entangled in racing incidents when pulling off overtakes, Russell seems to come off worse.

‘A concerning pattern has started to take shape’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...cedes-concern/

Hamilton makes remarkable confession after Canada podium loss.
    Lewis Hamilton has conceded the Canadian Grand Prix was one of the “worst races I've driven” after crossing the line in fourth place.
    9 June 2024
    Fergal Walsh
    RacingNews365

“Over the weekend, it was just a really poor performance from myself,” Hamilton told Sky Sport F1. “[During qualifying] some other things came into it, but mostly [from] myself. [On Sunday], it was one of the worst races that I’ve driven. Just lots of mistakes but of course if I qualified better, I would have been in a much better position. It is what it is. I’ll go back to the drawing board.”

“On a positive note, a big thank you to everyone back at the factory for progressing this car,” he said. “It is becoming a car that we can fight with. That’s a real positive going into the next part of the season. I know we’ll have some more upgrades on the way, it’s going to be a close battle. If I get my head on right, I’ll get better results at some stage. This weekend, the car was capable of winning, that’s why it’s not such a great feeling. We’ll take the points, keep moving and keep trying.”

“Worst races I've driven”;

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-m...da-podium-loss

‘I wonder’: Damon Hill reacts to Lewis Hamilton interview about ‘really poor’ Canadian Grand Prix performance
    Tue 11 June 2024 07:30
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Damon Hill says Lewis Hamilton has set a high benchmark: 1996 world champion Damon Hill then offered his reaction to the interview on his Instagram story. Hill noted that Hamilton had set a uniquely high standard. “What level is Lewis Hamilton’s ‘not very good’ I wonder,” the former Williams driver wrote. While the 39-year-old is enduring the poorest season of his career to date, he remains the most successful driver in F1 history. In addition to his seven titles, he’s won 103 races and taken 104 pole positions.

Martin Brundle baffled by what happened to Hamilton at Canadian Grand Prix: Brundle said: “I don’t what happened to Lewis. None of his sector times shone, did they? It was as if he just didn’t find grip, didn’t have the tyres where he needed them. Because nothing stood out on that lap.” His colleague David Croft noted the ‘contrast’ in the demeanour of the two drivers in parc ferme. Russell basked in his second career pole with his mechanics as Hamilton cut a forlorn figure.

‘I wonder’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/dam...x-performance/

Lewis Hamilton: ‘Something went on’ with tyre blankets ‘every time’ in Canada GP qualifying
    11 Jun 2024
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Lewis Hamilton claimed underheated tyres hampered him in qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix, pointing to the tyre blankets. “The tyres were working throughout the weekend, then we got to qualifying and every time I went out of the garage, my tyres were for some reason below on temperature,” he said.

“Every set was two or three degrees lower than it should have been, and you can’t catch it up and I couldn’t switch the tyres on after that. That’s something we have to really look at, because something went on with the blankets, I guess.”

‘Something went on’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...ada-qualifying

'Something went on': Lewis Hamilton tells Mercedes to investigate one issue after Canadian GP
    11 Jun 2024
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Hamilton, however, only qualified seventh after failing to improve on new tyres at the end of Q3. That saw him drop from second to the fourth row and left Martin Brundle baffled.

Lewis Hamilton tells Mercedes to investigate tyre temperature issues: Hamilton was initially mystified as to the reason for his qualifying struggles, having topped FP3 by a healthy margin. But speaking to outlets including Formu1a.uno after Sunday’s race, he raised a potential explanation.

He said: “Well, the tyres were working throughout the weekend. Then we got to qualifying, and every time I went out of the garage, my tyres were for some reason below on temperature.”

‘Tyre temperature issues’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/lew...r-canadian-gp/

Wolff urges 'galactic' Hamilton to banish 'negative' thoughts
    Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was enthused about the team's performance in Canada, despite 'negative sentiments' from both drivers.
    11 June 2024
    Jake Nichol & Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

"I think when you finish third and fourth, from where we have been coming from, then it is a positive race," Wolff told media including RacingNews365. "Third and fourth is so much better than we had previously in the last few races, so that is good, but I think both drivers saw that there was more up for grabs.”

"We could have gained a position or two, and that is why there is a kind of negative sentiment, but if you would have given them third and fourth before the weekend, they probably would have taken it. I mean in FP3, Lewis put up a lap that was out of this world, and then his long run was stratospheric, galactical."

‘Banish 'negative' thoughts’;

https://racingnews365.com/wolff-urge...ative-thoughts

George Russell risks causing Toto Wolff headache due to Lewis Hamilton dilemma
    George Russell finished on the podium in Montreal on Sunday, but his performance has attracted a mixed response.
    Jun 11, 2024
    Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

George Russell departed the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve with his second career pole position and Mercedes’ first podium finish of the season. On the surface, this was a strong weekend for Toto Wolff’s outfit, but a handful of costly errors from the Brit have raised concerns about his long-term viability as a team leader.

On the other side of the garage, Lewis Hamilton continues to cut a frustrated figure. The seven-time world champion has been consistently fast in the races, but his qualifying form has been nothing short of disastrous, given the lofty standards he has set for himself during his F1 career to date.

‘Toto Wolff headache’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ton-Toto-Wolff

‘I’ve had much worse’ – Toto Wolff’s verdict on George Russell v Lewis Hamilton battle
    11 Jun 2024
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

“We are racing,” Russell was told over the radio. “Just remember, it goes without saying, keep it clean please.” Squeezing down the inside of his Mercedes team-mate at Turn 14 on lap 68 of the 70-lap race, Russell said he knew that he could “trust” Hamilton in their battle. But while it was undoubtedly a tense moment for the Mercedes pit wall, Wolff says he’s had “worse”. Asked if it was too close, he told the media in Montreal: “No, I’ve had much worse.”

Wolff has not only had to watch on as Russell and Hamilton collided, most recently at 2023’s Japanese and Qatar Grands Prix, but he was also at the helm throughout the infamous Hamilton versus Nico Rosberg rivalry. That rivalry saw Mercedes threaten to bench the feuding team-mates because of their repeated brawls with Wolff saying he needed an “iron fist” to manage it.

“Iron fist”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...-battle-canada

Toto Wolff has very clear stance on Lewis Hamilton vs George Russell fight
    Lewis Hamilton and George Russell fought each other for a place on the Canadian Grand Prix podium in a battle which put a few hearts in mouths in the Mercedes garage
    11 Jun 2024
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Toto Wolff didn't bat an eyelid as Lewis Hamilton and George Russell fought on track for a podium berth at the Canadian Grand Prix. The Mercedes chief said he has seen "much worse" than the battle which was fought cleanly at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Russell came out on top, getting the better of his team-mate in the final few laps to secure third place.

Russell was calm about the battle with Hamilton as he spoke to the media after the Montreal race. He made it clear that he felt he always had things under control and praised his team-mate for his part in the duel.

He said: "Always with Lewis, it's really hard and fair. When you're racing with one of the greats, you know that you can trust them. And that was really great to see at the end."

‘Didn't bat an eyelid’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...wolff-33002664

Piastri: McLaren coming away from Canada as top scoring team ‘a solid result’.
    Oscar Piastri eventually finished fifth in Montreal, and though he thought that could have been better he was reasonably satisfied with his team’s points haul.
    09 June 2024

‘A solid result’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/pi...15901077993138

How Piastri put himself 'in the firing line' to aid Norris

The McLaren driver was challenging for a podium late on in Canada before falling to fifth.
    11 June 2024
    RacingNews365

Oscar Piastri has detailed how he put himself in the "firing line" from Mercedes to aid Lando Norris's Canadian Grand Prix podium push. After the safety car for the Carlos Sainz-Alex Albon incident, George Russell and Lewis Hamilton both pitted from third and fifth for fresh tyres, as the new leading trio of Max Verstappen, Lando Norris and Piastri stayed out.

Using the DRS, Russell attempted to pass Piastri on Lap 63, the two making contact at the final chicane, with Hamilton scything past on two laps later on the brakes for the same turn. Russell did so a lap later, with Piastri describing how he realised the two were "on a mission" as he took fifth behind Russell in third and Hamilton in fourth after the pole-sitter passed his seven-time champion team-mate on Lap 68 of 70.

"It was really close until I got behind the Mercedes and realised that they were on a mission - and it would have been incredibly tough to keep them behind all the way until the end," he said. "I was the first car in the firing line for them and I tried my best to stay in front, but they were clearly a lot quicker than everybody.”

'In the firing line';

https://racingnews365.com/how-piastr...-to-aid-norris

Piastri admits Mercedes was ‘on a mission’ in Canada
    Oscar Piastri has admitted that there was little he could have done to hold back Mercedes late in the Canadian Grand Prix.
    10 June 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Piastri finished fifth in Sunday's race after losing out to both Lewis Hamilton and George Russell in the latter stages of the race. Held in mixed conditions, it was a race that ebbed and flowed based largely on tyre choice and life at any given point. The sun finally broke through towards the end and left the track largely dry, which saw the two Mercedes drivers become the fastest cars on track. It made Piastri easy pickings as he slipped off the podium.

Tyre management in the changeable conditions was key throughout the race. In the opening stages, Piastri dropped off the back of the leaders before enjoying strong pace in the middle of the race. However, when conditions dried, and following his contact with Russell, he slipped back again. “Struggling a little bit for pace, but also not destroying the tyres,” Piastri explained of his opening stint approach.

“Some laps were good, some were bad, and I think once I got into a rhythm I was okay. Clearly they destroyed their tyres a bit more, so I think they probably just had a little bit more grip than us because I think both me and Lando were coming at them towards the end of the first inter. If I had pitted, I would have come out in fourth,” he added of the strategy choice under the second Safety Car, during which McLaren chose not to pit. “I don't think I would have got past George probably, so maybe it would have been fourth instead of fifth.”

‘Slipped off the podium’;

https://speedcafe.com/piastri-admits...ion-in-canada/

Piastri couldn’t fight ‘on a mission’ Mercedes in Canadian GP
    10:16 Tue, 11 Jun 2024
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

McLaren’s Oscar Piastri held his ground against Mercedes’ drivers in the closing stages of the Canadian Grand Prix, but there was little he could do to resist the attacks from the silver arrows chargers in the final laps of the race.

“It would have been, I think, incredibly tough to keep them behind all the way to the end, especially being the first car in the firing line for them,” commented Piastri after concluding his afternoon fifth. I tried my best to stay in front, but I think just on the new tyres they were clearly a lot quicker than everybody.”

“I think the fact that they were fast wasn't a massive surprise. I think that they were so fast was,” he said. “In FP3, I think with Lewis's [session topping] lap, we were scratching our heads. I think we worked out why after the session, but during the session, we were never going to get close to that.”

‘Little he could do to resist the attacks’;

https://f1i.com/news/510718-piastri-...nadian-gp.html

Norris and Piastri confirm McLaren revival
    Montreal (AFP) – Lando Norris and his McLaren team-mate Oscar Piastri delivered further strong evidence of the team's revival by finishing second and fifth behind the triumphant Max Verstappen in Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix.
    22:55 Sun, 09 Jun 2024
    France 24

Fifty-six years after team founder Bruce McLaren claimed their maiden win in the 1968 Belgian Grand Prix, the modern duo's result ended a decade of pointless results at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

"Podium at the Canadian Grand Prix," wrote team boss Zak Brown in a social media post. "Lando P2 and Oscar P5 delivering a haul of points! Excellent skill from the drivers out there in tricky conditions. We gave the win our best shot, but luck wasn't on our side."

Piastri said: "On a weekend where things could've gone very, very wrong, coming out with as many points as possible is a great result, but we're always chasing perfection. So it's about just a few things we could've done better, minor things, which in a race like that would've made a big difference. It was very tricky, just trying to keep the car on track!"

‘McLaren revival’;

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...claren-revival

Russell Piastri verdict delivered after Canadian GP collision
    Just one of those things between George Russell and Oscar Piastri.
    10 June 2024
    Ian Parkes
    RacingNews365

George Russell and Oscar Piastri have avoided any sanction from the stewards following their collision late on in the Canadian Grand Prix. The stewards determined that: “The driver of Car 63 attempted to overtake Car 81 on the outside into Turn 13, got fully alongside, but, given the nature of the turn and the track conditions, failed to complete the manoeuvre and both cars slightly touched at the apex.

“He then aborted the overtaking attempt, left the track and rejoined safely and without gaining any lasting advantage. The stewards determine that no driver was wholly or predominantly at fault and therefore take no further action.” Russell went on to pass Hamilton and Piastri over the closing laps to claim third place. The Australian finished fifth.

‘Verdict delivered’;

https://racingnews365.com/russell-pi...n-gp-collision

Alonso brands Canadian GP a ‘fantastic race for the team’.
    Fernando Alonso was satisfied with a job well done for Aston Martin in Montreal as he finished sixth with team mate Lance Stroll one place behind in seventh.
    09 June 2024

‘Job well done’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/al...18977231897694

Alonso brands Canadian GP ‘a fantastic race’ for Aston Martin after double points haul
    11 June 2024

Fernando Alonso praised the performance of his Aston Martin team after returning to the top-10 in the Canadian Grand Prix, with the Spaniard and team mate Lance Stroll scoring a double points finish off the back of a difficult weekend last time out in Monaco.

After consistently collecting points in the opening events of the season, Alonso’s run came to an end with a disappointing P19 result during a challenging visit to Imola. This was followed by another trying outing in Monte Carlo, where the two-time world champion exited qualifying in Q1 before ending the race in P11.

Alonso explained after the Grand Prix: “Yeah, fantastic race for the team. Obviously scoring with both cars is always the target, and sixth and seventh is a good number of points. Extremely difficult race with the conditions, [for the] majority of the race the track was just two metres wide. You cannot put a tyre outside of that dry line, so that is very, very stressful. Congratulations to everybody, because it was I think a difficult race in the cockpit.”

‘A fantastic race’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...6wWM9t88Egw4hi

Alonso 'amazed' at F1 rivals on 'two-metre wide' track
    The Aston Martin driver returned to the points with a strong sixth-place finish - for his first points since Miami.
    11 June 2024
    RacingNews365

Such were the conditions, Alonso heaped praise on his fellow drivers for the lack of major incidents. "The race, for me was one of the most difficult races, for every one of the 20 drivers," he told media including RacingNews365 after leading a double Aston Martin points finish of sixth, with Lance Stroll seventh.

"I was amazed that nothing happened for so many laps, no incidents or anything because the conditions were extremely hard, so well done to everybody. The track was just two meters wide with the dry line, so you couldn't put a tyre outside of it. All in all, we got double points for the team, so we have to be happy."

‘Alonso heaped praise on his fellow drivers’;

https://racingnews365.com/alonso-ama...ian-gp-absence

Alonso elated with ‘fantastic race’ and Aston points haul in Canada
    19:45 Tue, 11 Jun 2024
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

“Yeah, fantastic race for the team,” Alonso enthused after his wet and wild day at the races. “Obviously scoring with both cars is always the target, and sixth and seventh is a good number of points. Extremely difficult race with the conditions, [for the] majority of the race the track was just two metres wide.”

“You cannot put a tyre outside of that dry line, so that is very, very stressful. Congratulations to everybody, because it was, I think a difficult race in the cockpit. We are happier with the car now, we understood a few things and I think we are more competitive,” he added.

“But, at the same time, we had in the calendar Montreal as one of the best tracks for us, for our package. [There is a] question mark [over] what is going to happen in Barcelona, but I know the team is working flat-out to bring new parts to the next race, and hopefully we keep this level of competitiveness.”

“One of the best tracks for us, for our package”;

https://f1i.com/news/510748-alonso-e...in-canada.html

Alonso: Small margin to Montreal pole ‘hurts a little bit’
    14:55 Sun, 09 Jun 2024
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

"It was a tricky qualifying for everyone with the wind and the drops of rain. You always lose a little bit of confidence and I think no one did a perfect lap," the two-time F1 world champion said.

"It was the case for me as well. I didn't put everything together in Q3, so when you see that you are only two tenths from pole position, it hurts a little bit." Alonso said he owed his 0.228s shortfall to pole to a mistake in Turn 2 that forced him to pull out the stops for the remainder of his final flyer.

“It was so oversteering and I lost the car so badly that I was just thinking to abort the lap or keep going,” he explained. "I kept going and I was P6, so if two tenths put you in pole position, maybe everything was already in one corner. I was just driving very aggressively after that to recover the lap."

‘Hurts a little bit’;

https://f1i.com/news/510459-alonso-s...ittle-bit.html

Alonso takes dig at Ferrari over Canada F1 qualifying slump
    13:20 Sun, 09 Jun 2024
    Dan Lawrence
    Motorsport Week

Fernando Alonso couldn’t resist a tongue-in-cheek dig at his former Formula 1 employer Ferrari after beating both scarlet red cars to Q3 in Saturday’s Canadian Grand Prix qualifying session.

“We’re close to good people, aren’t we? Ahead of [Sergio] Perez and the two Ferraris who suddenly came to win the World Championship after Monte Carlo,” the Spaniard quipped to Marca.

‘Alonso takes dig at Ferrari’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...lifying-slump/

Fernando Alonso makes Lance Stroll prediction after he leaves Aston Martin
    09 Jun 2024
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Fernando Alonso has predicted Lance Stroll will become the leader of Aston Martin after the Spaniard leaves the cockpit. Stroll may be in his sixth season with the Silverstone team but Alonso has undoubtedly been the senior figure since arriving from Alpine in 2023. However, the Spaniard is 17 years older than the Canadian and Alonso believes Stroll will one day lead the team.

“When you arrive in Formula 1, you feel this competitiveness in the team, in the sport, that is brutal, but you’re a little bit shy because you are twenty-something and your team-mates are normally older, they have more experience,” Alonso told the Times.

“Now I feel the opposite, I’m the oldest, I’m the one with more experience and I feel that responsibility on my shoulders, of leading the team and trying to help not only the engineers, but also Lance. I will be part of the team for many years, even when I am not driving, and Lance will lead this team in the future. I will always support him.”

‘Become the leader of Aston Martin’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lance-...ernando-alonso

Montreal's Stroll finishes seventh in race without error at Canadian GP.
    “It was a tough track with the conditions, so I’m really satisfied to score points,” Stroll said. “Lots of points, the sixth and seventh positions are really good for the team.”
    00:12 Mon, 10 Jun 2024
    Auto Racing
    TSN

Stroll had never finished better than ninth in six Formula One races in Montreal, on a circuit where he has always finished in the top 10 whenever he completed the race. This season, his best performance remains his sixth-place finish in Australia.

But what Stroll will remember most is the difficult conditions. Rain appeared before the start, followed by another shower midway through the race, keeping the drivers alert.

"It's probably one of the toughest races I can remember in terms of conditions," Stroll said. "It was difficult to make the right decisions to put the right tires on at the right times. But we did well today, and we stayed on track. That was really the biggest challenge today. In Montreal, small mistakes penalize you very quickly."

‘One of the toughest races’;

https://www.tsn.ca/auto-racing/montr...n-gp-1.2132516

Stroll left ‘really happy’ after points finish on home soil
    09 June 2024

Lance Stroll finished seventh in Canada with his Aston Martin team mate Fernando Alonso one place ahead in sixth to cap a solid weekend for the Silverstone squad.

‘Really happy’;

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/F1...n/Lance+Stroll

Montreal's Lance Stroll finishes seventh in a race without error at Canadian GP
    Jun 9, 2024 3:59 PM
    Tommy Thurber
    The Canadian Press

What Stroll will remember most is the difficult conditions. Rain appeared before the start, followed by another shower midway through the race, keeping the drivers alert.

Stroll's race was marked by on-track battles with Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Japanese Yuki Tsunoda, the two RB drivers. "The circuit suited our car, with straight-line speed and not too much downforce," Stroll said. "We capitalized on a Grand Prix where the car was good all weekend. Barcelona will be a different story."

Nevertheless, Stroll is cautious about being too optimistic ahead of the three-race schedule in as many weeks. The Spanish, Austrian and British GPs will follow in succession starting on June 23. Those circuits might be less friendly for Aston Martin.

‘What Stroll will remember most’;

https://www.timescolonist.com/nation...ian-gp-9053160

Lance Stroll explains why he won’t leave Aston Martin for rival F1 team
    13 Jun 2024 8:15 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Arriving on the Formula 1 grid in 2017 after his father Lawrence reportedly paid Williams $80 million, Stroll has shown signs of pace interspersed by mediocrity, even apathy. This season the 25-year-old is once again on the back foot against his team-mate Fernando Alonso, trailing the Spaniard by 41 points to 17 in the Drivers’ standings.

Coming on the back of his huge defeat to the double World Champion in their first season together in F1 2023, it hasn’t done anything to negate the pay driver tag that hangs over Stroll’s head. “It’s part of it. It’s kind of just what my career’s been,” he told The Canadian Press. “I’ve dealt with that over the years, but I do my talking on the track.”

Stroll, though, has no interest in leaving Aston Martin, the team his father bought in 2018, just to silence his detractors. “No, not really,” he replied. “We’re on a super exciting trajectory and project as Aston Martin. I’m much more excited to be part of this journey than just going to another team to say that I could be driving somewhere else.”

‘No interest in leaving Aston Martin’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lance-...-rival-f1-team

Stroll addresses where his ‘head’s at’ over 2025 plans amid driver market developments
    13 Jun 2024

Lance Stroll has given an update on his F1 future amid further moves in the driver market, with the Canadian voicing his intention to be a part of Aston Martin’s continued growth going forwards.

Stroll first joined the squad back in 2019 – during its former guise as Racing Point – when the team was purchased by a consortium of investors led by his father, Lawrence Stroll. The outfit was then rebranded as Aston Martin in 2021 following Stroll Snr’s purchase of a significant stake in the British company.

Asked ahead of the recent Canadian Grand Prix if he intends to be racing in Formula 1 next year with Aston Martin, the 25-year-old responded: “Yeah, that's where my head's at, for sure. Seems to be a pretty popular question that I've been getting asked recently. It's super exciting, everything that's happening at Silverstone and the project with the team and how we've grown over the last few years. And we continue to grow, so it's definitely in my mind to continue being a part of that.”

‘To be a part of Aston Martin’s continued growth’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...idq6HdoHWJLicT

Stroll reveals if Aston Martin will retain him next season
    Canadian gives update on future as driver market puzzle continues to fall into place
    June 13, 2024
    James Phillips
    FormulaNerds

Stroll was questioned about Aston Martin’s dramatic drop-off in performance this season. He said a combination of degradation and mistakes were to blame for his and the team’s struggles: “It’s definitely been the tendency… It was the tendency last year. We were always fighting [in the] top five, and then again this year, I think we were quick over one lap at the beginning of the year, suffered a little bit more with [degradation], but we were still kind of top five, top seven range.”

“Now we’re kind of scrapping for a point or two on a good weekend, which is not what we want as a team. I think we definitely do understand our issues. I think we understand some of the decisions and directions that we’ve chosen to follow through with. We know some of the mistakes that we’ve made, and now it’s just a matter of sorting ourselves out and putting some new upgrades on the car going forward that address some of these issues that we know we have. But it’s not an overnight fix.”

“Realistic expectations, it’s going to be over the course of, I hope not too many races, but definitely a few races. And yeah, but there’s still a lot of racing left. There’s still, I think, 13 or 14 races left, if I’m not mistaken. So [it’s a] long season, but we have some work to do.”

‘Driver market puzzle’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/st...m-next-season/