What Sergio Perez’s fans were singing at him on his return to the Mexico City Grand Prix.
Sergio Perez receives a hero’s welcome ahead of the Mexican Grand Prix. The report from Record says the ‘party has already started’ ahead of the 20th race weekend of the F1 season in Mexico.
24 Oct 2024
Ben Evans
FIA (Press Release)

Sergio Perez needs all the help he can if he’s going to retain his seat at Red Bull Racing beyond the end of this season. The Mexico City Grand Prix – previously known as the Mexican Grand Prix until 2019 – is preparing to host its 25th race in Formula 1.

Hundreds of people came out to welcome Perez at the Plaza Carso where Telcel – one of Perez’s biggest sponsors – is based. Perez’s name was sung throughout the event, and they reportedly didn’t stop signing his customary ‘Viejo sabroso’ chant. The term translates to ‘tasty old man’ and has followed Perez around for several years now.

‘Viejo sabroso’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/wha...ty-grand-prix/

F1 - 2024 Mexico City Grand Prix - Thursday Press Conference Transcript
PART ONE – Sergio PÉREZ (Red Bull Racing), Nico HÜLKENBERG (Haas), Pierre GASLY (Alpine)
PART TWO – Charles LECLERC (Ferrari), Zhou GUANYU (Kick Sauber), Felipe DRUGOVICH (Aston Martin)
FIA (Press Release)

Q: Checo, I feel we have to start with you. Just describe the build-up to this Grand Prix for you? It seems to get bigger and bigger every year. Sergio PÉREZ: It's pretty impressive. You always forget when you are on the other side of the world with so many races, you really forget the amount of support you have in your own country. And yeah, it's amazing. It's a great opportunity. It's a great experience every single Grand Prix. You know, it's crazy to think that this is the ninth Grand Prix that we've had. I was just joking with some of my sponsors yesterday, every year we used to do a football game for the for the lead up to the grand prix and now nobody can play because everyone has issues with the knees, with the back, you know, so everyone is aging so much! It's just great you know to look back at it and obviously this year again I think this Mexican Grand Prix, to me, I think it's the best in the world by quite a chunk.

Q:. Nico, let's come to you now. What a weekend for you and for Haas in Austin. Just give us your reflections on that, first of all. Nico HÜLKENBERG: Yeah, it's been very positive. Scored points twice, and with both cars in the Sprint. So, yeah, I think, you know, we feel very happy coming out of there. Also, you know, taking P6, obviously, at the moment in the championship. So we want to obviously hang on to that, repeat it as often as we can and take that momentum into this week and to next week and just keep building on that.

Q: Pierre, let's come to you now. Let's get a review from you about Austin. You were running upgrades on your car. Qualifying looked great. A few issues in the race. Just talk us through it?
Pierre GASLY: Yeah, I mean, best qualifying of the year. So I would say definitely some good positives to take away from the weekend. You know, looking back at a couple of months ago, we started in Bahrain on the last row. Still, we kept focusing on developing the package we have and, you know, eventually got to P7 last week in quali. So very pleased to see some good evolution with the car. The other side on Sunday, it wasn't a good race, not well executed. Unfortunately, we lost quite a bit of time with the pit stop, struggled a lot with the Hard tyre and lost the good start we had. So quite gutted not to convert this good quali into points, but at least there is definitely some hopes. you know encouraging signs that we we're going to be able to fight slightly further up the top for the remaining races.

Q: Felipe, why don't we start with you, because for a long time now, you've been scheduled to drive Fernando's car in FP1 here tomorrow. How excited are you by that? And what is the programme tomorrow?
Felipe DRUGOVICH: Yeah, so thank you very much, first of all. Very excited to be here. Yeah, I think the only thing that wasn't planned to be is actually the press conference. So, yeah, my best wishes to Fernando. Let's see how he gets on tomorrow. But, yeah, really excited. Tomorrow the plan is to, first of all, focus a little bit for the team. We're going to have some development runs. I'm just trying to help the team. gather some data, I think I'll be able to have some fun at the end, you know, pushing a little bit, but, you know, it's normally quite tricky, especially as a new track for me, so I need to take care of the car, but, yeah, hopefully it'll be a good session.

Q: Zhou, let's come to you now. It was quite a tough weekend for you in Austin. The race didn't quite pan out as you wanted. You didn't have the upgrades on your car, Valtteri did. What was he saying about them? And what can you expect from them this weekend when you'll have them as well?
ZHOU GUANYU: You know, firstly, I think, excited, of course, to try the new package. I think Austin, in general, we were still trying to extract everything we could. I think it wasn't easy, just seeing how difficult, let's say, the start of the weekend for us, but also with the short term of just FP1, then obviously not getting enough track time to try certain things, trying to extract them. So I think it's working like we expected in terms of numbers. But I did definitely expect to be a little bit more ahead than the pace was. But one thing I think was good is that in qualifying, it was, I think, both of us under two tenths to Q2, which is the closest we've ever been the last four five races. In a way it shows how much struggle we've been in but one another side I think it shows we have managed to close the gap, which is something nice to do. Unfortunately my race, definitely not going to go too much into detail on that, with a mistake in Turn 1 and that cost quite a bit. But even then I think points weren't possible that weekend. But I was just trying to give it always what I had. So this weekend is going to be completely different, which will be nice and jump in the car after let's say P1, from P2 onwards, trying to figure out, you know, what we go forward and, you know, what set-up we make, adjustments.

Q: Charles, let's come to you now. Tremendous weekend for Ferrari last time out. What chance a repeat here in Mexico?
Charles LECLERC: I mean, it's very difficult to predict this season race by race. Last weekend went extremely well for us. We were particularly strong in races and in race pace. In qualifying, we struggled a little bit more. However, on paper, Mexico should be quite a good track for us. But that doesn't mean we'll reproduce the kind of performance we've done in Austin, we just need to focus on ourselves, focus obviously on FP2 for me, I won't be doing FP1, Ollie will be in the car for FP1, and yeah, just try and maximise the result this weekend, and then we'll see where it ends up, but it's obviously a very important part of the season, only five races to go, and there's the Constructors’ title, that is still possible, so we'll give absolutely everything in order to try and take that one.

‘Thursday Press Conference Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-mex...nce-transcript