Piastri ignored his race engineer to pull off race-winning pass on Leclerc.
Oscar Piastri revealed he disregarded an instruction from his race engineer to pull off the overtaking move which won him the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
15 Sep 2024
Keith Collantine
RaceFans

Piastri said his race engineer Tom Stallard urged him to treat his tyres gently at the beginning of both stints, but ignored him both times, and on the second occasion pulled off the pass which got him into the lead. Getting into clean air at that stage “won me the race,” said Piastri.

“I felt a bit sorry for my race engineer because I basically tried to do that [pass] in the first stint and completely cooked my tyres. So my engineer came on the radio and said, ‘let’s not do that again’, basically. And I completely ignored him the next lap and sent it down the inside. At that point, I felt [that] trying to stay back and wait for Charles to deg[rade his tyres] was never going to happen. I thought we was just going to secure us P2.”

“I had a similar opportunity in the first stint. I felt like on lap two or three, I was just within DRS, but didn’t fully capitalise on that opportunity. And I got to the end of the straight thinking ‘if I had have done a couple of things a bit differently here, I maybe had a chance’. So when I had a similar opportunity after the pit stop, I had to take it. And I wouldn’t be sat here without that.”

‘Ignored his race engineer’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/09/15/...ss-on-leclerc/

‘He was perfect’: Jacques Villeneuve shares why Oscar Piastri’s Baku win was better than his maiden F1 victory
15 Sep 2024
Shay Rogers
F1 Oversteer

Oscar Piastri’s second win better because he ‘didn’t crack under pressure’. Jacques Villeneuve is a man who knows a lot about having the bottle to claim race victories and world championship in Formula 1. He claimed the title in his sophomore season back in 1997, and had 11 race victories across his decade-long career.

Speaking about Piastri’s performance on Sky Sports F1, he admitted that it was about as faultless as you could expect. “Piastri’s win in Hungary is in the books, but this [Azerbaijan] is the one that he just mastered himself,” he said. “He did the overtaking, he was quick after, he didn’t crack under pressure. He was perfect.”

‘He was perfect’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/jac...en-f1-victory/

Oscar Piastri makes typical remark as McLaren driver admits he had "50-50" chance of crashing
Azerbaijan Grand Prix winner Oscar Piastri got away with a risky move as he overtook pole-sitter Charles Leclerc and proceeded to hold on for his second victory of 2024
15 Sep 2024
By Tom Victor Sport Trends Writer
The Mirror

"To be honest, when I hit the brakes I was like 'There's a 50-50 chance whether I make this corner or not'," Piastri said. Leclerc put on a brave face as he attempted to explain why the recovery never came.

"Yeah I just broke the way I was breaking normally," the Ferrari driver admitted. "I saw you go in so I was like 'He's not going to release the brakes... okay, I'll just let him go and take the DRS and try to overtake you', and that never happened."

"To be honest there were about 10 laps where I thought it was going to happen," Piastri replied. "But once I got clean air I thought 'Okay, maybe my life will be a bit easier now'."

"50-50";

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...-prix-33673619

How Oscar Piastri won the 2024 Azerbaijan GP
Piastri produced a thrilling overtake on Lap 20 to take the lead from Charles Leclerc
15 Sep 2024
Brandon Sutton
Total Motorsport

Oscar Piastri’s expert race-reading ability. The 23-year-old Australian is known for his very cool head behind the wheel and his exceptional ability to decisively read the race picture and make the bold decisions... The moment came on Lap 20 when he made an audacious lunge on Leclerc into Turn 1 from far back, managing to scoop the car up on the exit before slamming the door firmly shut in the face of his rival through Turn 2.

It wasn’t something anyone, including Ferrari, were expecting him to do at that moment but it turned out to be a race-winning brave move by earning him the crucial free air he described as “king” at the 2024 Belgian GP. “I went for a pretty big lunge but I managed and then hung on for dear life for the next laps. Once he dropped out of DRS it was a little bit more relaxing but there’s no relaxing lap around here.” Oscar Piastri.

‘Thrilling overtake’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/how...azerbaijan-gp/

Oscar Piastri’s win adds further complications to McLaren’s ‘papaya rules’ enforcement
15 Sep 2024
Elizabeth Blackstock
PlanetF1.com

The driver that launched his team ahead of Red Bull in the WCC was Oscar Piastri – mere days after McLaren admitted its so-called “papaya rules” would now begin favouring teammate Lando Norris.

In effect, “papaya rules” refer to McLaren’s rules of engagement between drivers. Now, even the decision to implement Norris-biased papaya rules has fallen flat.

With seven Grands Prix remaining in 2024, there will be plenty of opportunities for Norris to reestablish his place at the head of the McLaren team, and perhaps to usurp Max Verstappen in the championship standings. But if McLaren wants that to happen, it’s high time to get definitive.

‘Further complications to McLaren’s ‘papaya rules’ enforcement’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/mc...orris-baku-win

McLaren answer: Do team orders change after Piastri's victory?
15 Sep 2024
Kada Sarkozi
GPblog.com

Oscar Piastri has won his second ever Grand Prix in Azerbaijan, after overtaking Charles Leclerc on the second stint. The Australian has now equalled Lando Norris' number of victories as well. Following the race, team principal Andrea Stella explained whether this changes the team orders declared ahead of the weekend in Baku.

"I think I said already that we have two number one drivers, effectively. And having two number one drivers means that we approach things, first of all, in the interest of the team. The interest of the team is to win the Constructors' Championship. And yes, it's to win also the Drivers' Championship," the Italian team principal began to explain to GPblog and others following the Azerbaijan GP. "Lando was in the most favourable position before his race. I think he still is in the most favourable position. So more naturally, we would have supported Lando."

Stella continued by saying that, on the other hand, Norris could also help Piastri out today, even as he is the favoured driver. "I think we have evidence today that actually, interestingly, it was Lando supporting Oscar and enabling Oscar's victory thanks to driving for the team and driving to support his teammates. So I think that remains our approach. We always intended to review after every event with each driver, with the driver together, what was going to be the best approach for the next races. We will do it and set the plan for Singapore," he concluded.

‘Team order changes’;

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/30148...do-norris.html

Lando Norris satisfied to play ‘small part’ in Oscar Piastri’s F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix win
15 Sep 2024
Taylor Powling
Motorsport Week

Lando Norris has expressed that he was satisfied to have managed a “small part” in helping McLaren team-mate Oscar Piastri win Formula 1’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Perez’s progress being disrupted behind Norris enabled Piastri to box two laps later and retain the place, where he then proceeded to pass Charles Leclerc to triumph.

“At that point I was still kind of stuck behind Alex [Albon], so I couldn’t do a lot,” Norris told Sky Sports F1. “I didn’t slow down, I just saved my tyres a little bit more as they were overheating a little bit.”

“It allowed Oscar to stay ahead and potentially get the win today, so I’m happy to know I played a small part in that, and for us as a team, that’s what we need to do.”

‘Perez’s progress being disrupted behind Norris’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...rand-prix-win/

Lando Norris' F1 world title bid back from the dead as bold Brit cuts through the field to take down Max Verstappen and narrow gap by three points, writes JONATHAN McEVOY
15 Sep 2024
Jonathan McEvoy and Dmcontent
MailOnline

It looked all over, and then the body twitched. That is how Lando Norris’s world championship hopes refused to die in the space of a topsy-turvy 24 hours. On Saturday night, he qualified 17th for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, the third-last place you want to be when you stand 62 points behind Max Verstappen with eight races remaining.

Last night, he could look back on a fine day’s work. One touched by a little luck, but at the centre of his fourth-place finish was a mighty drive in a lickety-split McLaren. Verstappen, who started sixth, finished fifth, his lead trimmed to 59 points.

‘Back from the dead’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...AN-McEVOY.html