Aston Martin ups the ante, offers Newey £100 million deal!
Aston Martin F1 has reportedly tabled a staggering £100 million offer for Adrian Newey’s highly coveted services, a hefty sum, spread over four years, that dwarfs what Ferrari has proposed.
23rd July 2024
Michael Delaney
F1i.com

Until recently, Ferrari appeared to hold the upper hand against its rivals, with Newey allegedly open to fulfilling a super consultant role with the Italian outfit that would not require a permanent presence at Maranello.

However, according to a recent report from Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport, Newey’s financial demands and a request to bring 20 Red Bull engineers with him, have led to Ferrari taking a step back from the talks.

Cue Aston Martin and executive chairman Lawrence Stroll who, after giving Newey an introductory royal tour last month of his team’s state-of-the-art new headquarters and factory at Silverstone, has apparently upped the ante.

‘£100 million deal!’;

https://f1i.com/news/514789-aston-ma...lion-deal.html

Adrian Newey ‘€100 million’ offer on table as new ‘favourite’ for signature emerges – report
23 Jul 2024
Henry Valantine
PlanetF1.com

A report from Germany has claimed that Aston Martin have tabled a significant offer to Adrian Newey to sign for the team from next season, worth up to €100million. German publication F1-Insider has reported that Aston Martin are the current ‘favourites’ to land Newey’s signature, claiming team owner Lawrence Stroll is willing to pay the sport’s most successful designer up to €100m (£84m) over four years to potentially usurp what Ferrari are offering the current Red Bull chief technology officer.

Newey, who recently drove Niki Lauda’s title-winning Ferrari 312 up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, is having his next move overseen by his friend and manager, former team owner Eddie Jordan, who quipped in an interview with F1-Insider:

“My name is Newey, Adrian Newey!” – Though the report stresses that quote should be taken as humour and not interpreted as an indication of Newey’s potential next move, with that line being a play on the famous catchphrase from the James Bond films in which ‘007’ drives Aston Martins.

“My name is Newey, Adrian Newey!”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/adrian...r-aston-martin

More team order drama emerges after Lance Stroll denies Fernando Alonso points
22 Jul 2024
Jamie Woodhouse
PlanetF1.com

In a radio exchange missed by the TV broadcast, Stroll’s race engineer Andrew Vizard requested several times that Stroll allow Alonso through into P10 before the chequered flag. “Now. You need to switch back before the line, Fernando is four seconds behind you, there’s no pressure behind,” came the first request. That was met by silence.

“Lance, I suggest you drop back, let Fernando pass. He’s four seconds back,” Vizard urged again. Still, Stroll had no reply to offer. “Okay, that’s the flag. That is the flag.” With that final message from Vizard, Stroll’s window to let Alonso through had gone and he claimed the final point on offer in Hungary.

‘More team order dram’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lance-...ry-team-orders

“I would have passed Fernando”: Stroll ignored team’s order to let Alonso by
22nd July 2024
Keith Collantine
RaceFans

An overlooked team orders row in the Hungarian Grand Prix played out very different to the one which decided the outcome of the race. Alonso’s race engineer Chris Cronin gave him warning of the team’s plan. “Fernando we’ve got one more lap to close up on Tsunoda,” he said with eight laps to go. “But if not we might give… we’re going to give Lance a chance.”

“We will swap back,” Cronin added after they changed places. “If he doesn’t get him, we will swap back.” Stroll was given similar messages at the same time “Fernando will give you DRS, we’ll go past him into turn one and then we need to get Tsunoda,” his race engineer Andrew Vizard told him.

“Everything to get Tsunoda now, otherwise we will swap back at the end of the race,” he added. However from the outset Stroll indicated his dissatisfaction with the instruction. “I would have passed Fernando, but okay,” he replied.

‘Stroll ignored team’s order’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/22/...let-alonso-by/

Stroll defied Aston team order to claim final point in Hungary
22/07/2024
Phillip van Osten
F1i.com

Stroll had secured the tenth-place finish and the final championship point for himself, leaving Alonso empty-handed. Oddly, neither driver commented on the team order snub after the race, perhaps to keep any discord out of the public eye.

Alonso, however, expressed his frustration with the overall strategy. “I think the strategy was not the right one today,” he said. “Obviously, now after the race, easy to say.” Alonso pointed to the early pit stop on lap 7 and the long stint on medium and hard tyres as the root cause of his shortfall in the race.

“I think we stopped on Lap 7 and then from that point, 63 laps with one medium, one hard, was a little bit optimistic,” he explained. “So, not a great pace and the strategy didn’t help.”

‘Keeping any discord out of the public eye’;

https://f1i.com/news/514782-stroll-d...n-hungary.html

Furious Fernando Alonso throws his jacket on the ground at the Hungarian Grand Prix - as Aston Martin driver insists an 'unwritten rule' was broken in qualifying
21 July 2024
Adrian Bishop
MailOnline

Footage has emerged of an infuriated Fernando Alonso throwing his jacket to the ground during a heated discussion with race officials at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Alonso was in the process of completing a flying lap during the closing stages of Q3 when a horror crash involving Yuki Tsunoda saw the red flags brought out.

The controversial decision caused several drivers, including the 42-year-old, to be unable to complete their final lap ahead of Sunday's race. Following the incident Alonso expressed his disdain for the decision, and a clip shared on social media showed the Spaniard remonstrating with an official after the fact. Speaking following the incident Alonso vented his frustration with officials, insisting the FIA made 'gross mistakes' during qualifying.

'The truth is that the FIA sometimes gets it right and sometimes they make gross mistakes,' Alonso told DAZN. 'Today they had made one. It's surprising to me because when there's an accident there, they usually wait until the cars have finished their laps. That's an unwritten rule, at least. I had improved by one and a half tenths by the last corner when the red flag came out.'

‘Throws his jacket on the ground’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ualifying.html