‘He knows what’s at stake’ – Horner backs Perez to find his form after ‘horrible’ weekend in Canada.
“You see this with Checo time and time again, you think he’s on the ropes and then he bounces back,” continued Horner. “He’s a tough racer, a tough character. It hurts him more than anyone else and he’ll be determined to come back and show everybody the form we know he’s capable of and the form he showed in the first four races of the year.”
13 June 2024
Formula One - Official Site

“It was a horrible weekend for Checo and we’ve picked up some damage so he’ll need to come back strong in Barcelona,” Christian Horner said afterwards. “Thankfully Ferrari had a shocker today and didn’t pick up any points so that let us off the hook somewhat. But we need both cars scoring, we got away with it today, but we need Checo back to where he was at the beginning of the year from Barcelona onwards.”

“The margins are fine – he knows what’s at stake, we need him performing at the top of his game. The constructors’, we have three teams that are nipping at our heels, and you have to be firing on all cylinders.” As Horner said, with Ferrari failing to score in Canada, Red Bull actually increased their margin in the constructors’ championship to 49 points thanks to Verstappen’s win.

‘He knows what’s at stake’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...T5DAinrWDozbRe

Perez does not care criticism, he solely focuses on his job
10:14 Wed, 12 Jun 2024
Balazs Szabo
F1 Technical

The Mexican finds himself currently in exactly such a tough period as he failed to make the cut into Q3 in three consecutive races in Imola, Monaco and Montreal. Despite his recent struggles, Red Bull elected to extend his contract by a further two years which will see Perez race for the Milton Keynes-based outfit until at least the end of the 2026 F1 season.

"Well, I think in Formula 1, there are always different agendas, and I really get that. It's something that has been with every driver since we got in the sport. And I think the best thing to do is just to close the visor and focus on my job, do the best for myself, for my career. And at the end of the day, when my career is finished, it's the only thing that will matter to me.”

"What people have to say or not… I mean, I appreciate that everyone has their opinion, but at the end of the day, I'm here to do the best for my career and I'm happy with what I have achieved."

‘Perez… …he solely focuses on his job’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24728

Horner expecting Perez to bounce back after ‘horrible weekend’ in Canada
16:38 Tue, 11 Jun 2024
Caitlyn Gordon
FormulaNerds

Perez looks to bounce back. Despite the recent difficulties, Perez remains confident and believes he will regain his form in the coming weeks: “Yeah, we lost some momentum obviously in the season, but I’m also very positive that there is a long season ahead and that we will get our form back.” He said to F1. “I will be working really hard in the coming weeks with the team to make sure that we are back to that form.” Perez concluded.

What happened in Canada? Despite his history of producing some incredible recovery drives, Canada was not one of them. The first incident took place on the opening lap when Perez came in contact with Pierre Gasly, though he left the scene unscathed, he struggled to move up the pecking order. On lap 53, he lost control of his RB20, damaging his rear wing. He limped back to the pits, leaving pieces of carbon fibre around the circuit before retiring for the second consecutive weekend. Adding to his woes, the stewards issued a penalty for the incident, handing the No.11 driver a three-place grid penalty for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Horner gives his thoughts. After a weekend to forget for the Mexican, team principal, Christian Horner issued his thoughts on the ‘horrible’ weekend his driver faced. “That was a horrible weekend for Checo and obviously he picked up some damage, so he’ll need to come back strong in Barcelona.” He said to Sky Sports.

‘Horrible weekend’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ho...end-in-canada/

Sergio Perez ‘not that bad’ – Support emerges amid nightmare F1 run
15 Jun 2024
Jamie Woodhouse
PlanetF1.com

Former Bridgestone competition chief Kees van de Grint has leapt to the defence of the struggling Sergio Perez… “It might be a bit of a dead giveaway, but it’s clear that Perez is going through a valley at the moment,” van de Grint told RacingNews365.com.

“First of all, it’s very close. In the past, you were 16th because you were two seconds or even more too slow. But now we are talking about hundredths and tenths of a second. Perez is not doing well at the moment, that’s clear, but that is also not a reflection of how he is as a driver. He can do better. You can say a lot about team boss Christian Horner, but not that he doesn’t have a view or doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

“Horner will have weighed a number of other behind-the-scenes factors besides Perez’s driving ability, such as calmness in the team and the commercial background. But he will not have made that choice if he thinks, ‘This guy can’t do anything’. This is bad luck and it gives food for thought, but Perez is not that bad.”

‘Support emerges’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio...s-van-de-grint

Marko makes Hamilton comparison after Perez penalty
Dr. Helmut Marko has addressed Sergio Perez's three-place grid penalty for the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix.
12 June 2024
Jan van der Burgt & Nick Golding
RacingNews365

Red Bull advisor Dr. Helmut Marko has revealed that the outfit "can live" with Sergio Perez's Spanish Grand Prix grid penalty after driving a heavily damaged car last weekend in the Canadian Grand Prix. Perez will take a three-place grid penalty into next weekend's race at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, following an incident which saw him continue driving a car with "serious mechanical difficulties". Camera hid true damage. With McLaren, Ferrari and now Mercedes having a car capable of competing with the RB20, Perez's grid penalty could have a huge impact in Barcelona.

Perez will start no higher than fourth on the grid and that can only be achieved by claiming pole position, an unlikely feat based on his recent qualifying record. However, Marko insists Red Bull can cope with its punishment and has revealed that the Milton Keynes-based side were unable to view the full extent of Perez's damage. "We can live with that penalty imposed," Marko told OE24.

"With the camera setup we had at our disposal, we couldn't see from the pit lane how much Checo's car was really damaged. At that point, we wanted him to continue as long as possible, because this was a Grand Prix where anything was possible." Marko went on to note that Red Bull could never have known how much debris would fall of Perez's car and pointed out that Lewis Hamilton won the 2020 British Grand Prix with a completely delaminated tyre. "Others have driven around with more dangling parts," Marko added. "Lewis Hamilton once won at Silverstone on three wheels."

‘Hamilton comparison after Perez penalty’;

https://racingnews365.com/marko-make...-perez-penalty

‘Strange there was no penalty then’ – Marko recalls Hamilton’s 2020 British GP win after Perez penalty
13 Jun 2024
Michelle Foster
PlanetF1.com

Helmut Marko says it’s “strange” Lewis Hamilton wasn’t penalised when he completed the final lap of the 2020 British GP on three wheels but Sergio Perez was in Canada. Hamilton suffered a puncture on the final lap of the 2020 British Grand Prix, his front left tyre shreading pieces of rubber as he completed the final lap to win the race ahead of Max Verstappen. Told to “stop” by Mercedes after crossing the line for the victory, Hamilton’s race engineer reiterated he was to stop the car as it “was dangerous.”

Marko finds it “strange” that Hamilton was not penalised then but Perez was in Canada. “Three places back for Perez on the Spanish grid because he brought his damaged car into the pits instead of putting it aside in Montreal,” Marko wrote in his Speedweek column. “I think that’s too harsh a punishment, because in a race with changeover conditions, you have to bring your car back, especially when it’s not immediately clear what the damage looks like.”

“Perez’s rear-view mirrors were dirty and he couldn’t see what the rear looked like. We, on the other hand, could see from the data that the suspension was OK. Of course we try to bring the car back and, ideally, be able to fight for points again. The race stewards then announced that parts of his car had fallen off. But hey there! I remember Lewis Hamilton once crossing the finish line on three wheels at Silverstone and winning. Strange there was no penalty then.”

“Strange there was no penalty then”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut...canada-penalty