Ricciardo in the Spotlight: Montreal Performance and the Road Ahead.
Despite a sub-par 2024 season so far, Ricciardo had his best weekend of the year so far in Montreal, qualifying in fifth and securing his first points in a full Grand Prix by finishing eighth, while bouncing back from a 5 second penalty for a jump start that had the potential to ruin his weekend.
June 12, 2024
Joe Briley
The Checkered Flag

Ricciardo Vs Tsunoda: One weekend out of nine has seen Ricciardo bring home points for Visa Cash App RB in a full Grand Prix format, alongside his outstanding performance in the Miami Grand Prix Sprint. His much younger teammate Yuki Tsunoda has had an outstanding season, getting points in six out of the nine rounds so far.

Consistency is Key: Ricciardo has been struggling throughout 2024, he’s admitted that but when you look at it objectively, the struggle hasn’t been as worrying as his difficulties at McLaren F1 Team.

Christian Horner still believes Ricciardo can deliver in F1, and RB team principal Laurent Mekies has been very complimentary of the eight-time race winner. RB CEO Peter Bayer has consistently mentioned Ricciardo’s influence in car development and setup, so it’s clear to see he still has the backing of the ones whose opinions matter, which didn’t always seem the case at McLaren.

‘Best weekend of the year so far’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...he-road-ahead/

Brundle: Ricciardo never the same after ‘flawed decision’
15:55 Wed, 12 Jun 2024
Phillip van Osten
F1i.com

In his post-Canadian Grand Prix column for Sky Sports, Brundle addressed the acrimonious exchange between Villeneuve and Riccardo, expressing his respect for both drivers and offering his view on the Aussie’s achievements.

“For the record, as it's become a hot topic due to my Sky Sports F1 colleague Jacques Villeneuve expressing his firm opinions, I have fundamental respect for all F1 drivers, not least for Daniel and Jacques, because I know how hard it is to drive such fearsome cars under that spotlight,” Brundle wrote. “Daniel has won eight GPs including an outstanding Monaco victory, scored 32 podiums, and has regularly shown world-class talent.”

“But those results were quite a while ago and I wish he'd not left Red Bull at the end of 2018. That was an emotional and flawed decision, he should have faced up to Max in the best car, then he'd have necessarily raised his game even further. Ricciardo never seemed to be quite the same driver again,” he added.

‘Flawed decision’;

https://f1i.com/news/510791-brundle-...-decision.html

Jacques Villeneuve Was Harsh, But Right - Daniel Ricciardo Is Toiling
21:34 Wed, 12 Jun 2024
Dan Cancian
Forbes

“Why is he still in F1?,” Villeneuve said of Ricciardo during a Sky Sports broadcast on Friday. “We’re hearing the same thing now for the last four, five years — we have to make it better for him, poor him. It’s been five years of that. Maybe you make that effort for Lewis Hamilton, who’s won multiple championships. You don’t make that effort for a driver that can’t cut it. Can’t cut it? Go home, there’s someone else who can take your place.”

After qualifying fifth on Saturday, Ricciardo’s retort was similarly direct with the Australian questioning Villeneuve’s faculties. “I think he’s hit his head a few too many times, I don’t know if he plays ice hockey or something.” An expletive-laden advice followed, before Villeneuve fired back, criticising Ricciardo, who finished eighth on Sunday, for allowing the criticism to get under his skin. “You cannot make it personal,” he said. “You need a thick skin and I got under his skin but it got better for his driving. But it’s not enough, he needs to do more of this.”

While Villeneuve was arguably too blunt in his criticism, there is no denying there his scathing verdict contained more than an element of truth. Ricciardo’s stock has been trending in the wrong direction as far as he is concerned this season, in which he has been regularly outpaced by teammate Yuki Tsunoda. Aside from a fourth-place finish in the sprint race in Miami last month, Sunday’s eighth place-finish in Montreal was the first time Ricciardo had scored points this season.

‘Harsh’;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dancanc...do-is-toiling/

How Daniel Ricciardo changed his approach for Canada
Daniel Ricciardo adopted a different approach heading into the Canadian Grand Prix after a tough weekend in Monaco.
14 June 2024
Mat Coch
Speedcafe

It proved a positive step for the Australian, who delivered his best grand prix qualifying result of the season in Montreal, followed by his best race result. Playing a part in that performance, the 34-year-old reasons, was a frank discussion with his team following the disappointment of Monaco. “We're pretty open with each other but I wanted to make sure that there was nothing that they saw that they needed to unload,” he explained.

“I just basically wanted to know like, ‘what do you guys think is going wrong? Tell me if there's something you see from me and I want to try and fix it. But I'll also tell you guys what I feel and maybe why I do feel a little bit flat, or maybe the schedule's a bit too much at the moment, or whatever'.

That resulted in him arriving in Canada, by his own admission, feeling “hungry and happy and ready to say f*** you.” Eighth in Montreal was Ricciardo's first points-scoring result since he finished seventh in the Mexico City Grand Prix, and ended an 11-race run of results outside the top 10, a streak only equalled by his first 11 races in F1 for HRT in 2011.

‘Adopted a different approach’;

https://speedcafe.com/how-daniel-ric...ch-for-canada/

Helmut Marko issues stinging six-word Daniel Ricciardo verdict after Villeneuve criticism
Daniel Ricciardo still has work to do to impress Helmut Marko despite his positive Canadian Grand Prix drive.
Jun 13, 2024
Sam Smith
Daily and Sunday Express

Helmut Marko remains ‘unimpressed’ with Daniel Ricciardo’s form despite the Australian’s positive Canadian Grand Prix performances. The RB driver secured his first points from a Grand Prix this season in Montreal. It has been a disappointing year for Ricciardo, having returned to a full-time place on the grid midway through 2023. He replaced Nyck De Vries at Red Bull’s sister team.

Ricciardo has faced criticism for his performances this season, so a positive display in Canada would have been a welcome boost for the 34-year-old. However, Marko. the veteran Red Bull technical advisor, 81, told Motorsport.com: "In general terms, RB is a junior team, so we have to see what happens." Brutally, Marko added: "The rest is not impressive yet."

‘Still has work to do to impress Helmut Marko’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...rdo-Villeneuve

Ricciardo looking to ‘keep that edge’ after strong weekend in Canada
After struggling the past couple of weekends, Ricciardo made a strong comeback and secured four crucial points, slotting himself into 12th in the standings
June 12, 2024
Caitlyn Gordon
FormulaNerds

Ricciardo gives his thoughts: Looking back on the weekend, Ricciardo says he wants to ‘keep it rolling’ and bring in more strong performances for the team: “I’ve just got to keep it rolling,” He said to Autosport.

“That little energy, probably a little bit of a chip on my shoulder I brought into the weekend, I’ve got to make sure that that stays there, and just keep that level of intensity I don’t know if it’s the need to be a bit angry or just get my testosterone up, but I think it helps me. There is certainly some hope that it is [a turning point]. Obviously, I’ve got to repeat it and back it up to prove it.”

“But I’m definitely happy with some things that I’ve acknowledged since Monaco, and it’s no coincidence that this weekend went a bit smoother. It’s just making sure that we keep tapping into it and that I’m holding myself accountable, not getting too relaxed and happy-go-lucky. Making sure I keep that edge about me.”

‘Keep it rolling’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ri...end-in-canada/

RB told Ricciardo he wasn’t to blame for jump start penalty
10th June 2024, 13:41
Written by Keith Collantine

RB reassured Daniel Ricciardo he was not to blame after the stewards gave him a five-second time penalty for jumping the start of the Canadian Grand Prix.

Ricciardo said after the race he hadn’t realised his car was moving before the red lights went out. “I got a penalty for a jump start, but I was a bit confused because I knew that I didn’t jump the lights but then I remembered that during the start I felt that maybe the car was moving,” he said.

His race engineer Pierre Hamelin told him on the radio: “The penalty was nothing to do with you, Daniel. No mistake on your side. It was an issue with the car.” RB team principal Laurent Mekies later confirmed Ricciardo’s car moved before the start “due to some very slight clutch dragging.”

‘Not to blame’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/06/10/...start-penalty/