PDA

View Full Version : The First IndyCar World Series CEO since 1995

Cart750hp
10th February 2008, 19:16
Who'd be the right guy for this job? Obviously TG will step out and take a long vacation once the deal "is" done. This job would definitely need the right guy to take the series to its best.

1) Penske
2) Barnhardt
3) Cotman
4) Johnson
5) Clarke
6) Eidswick
?

994ever
10th February 2008, 19:24
Who'd be the right guy for this job? Obviously TG will step out and take a long vacation once the deal "is" done. This job would definitely need the right guy to take the series to its best.

1) Penske
2) Barnhardt
3) Cotman
4) Johnson
5) Clarke
6) Eidswick
?

Does it matter? Tony, Honda and ISC are running the show. Who the figurehead is really doesn't make much difference imo.

fan-veteran
10th February 2008, 19:27
Nobody should be. The experience has shown that a panel of management is needed, not only one person. I think so.

994ever
10th February 2008, 19:34
Nobody should be. The experience has shown that a panel of management is needed, not only one person. I think so.

Well, that is the way that CART was run, and one of the reasons, presumably, that Tony George was so violently opposed to it. Since he has been so loathe to put into place in the IRL any of the things he said he hated about CART, I'd be surprised to see a committee leadership structure put into place.

fan-veteran
10th February 2008, 19:39
This is the point - there should be a commitee, and the contraditions must be fixed and eliminated somehow (using common sense). The result of the opposite was in front of our eyes for 13 years.

994ever
10th February 2008, 20:21
(using common sense)

Someone would have to introduce common sense to Mr. George first. All indications are that they have never met before.

fan-veteran
10th February 2008, 21:09
:) Before 1995 maybe. I think he should have gathered enough wisdom by now (i hope) :)

nanders
10th February 2008, 21:59

Already been formed:

Prominent Australian Indy team owner Craig Gore said last night that the unification of both series was clearly the best option for everyone in motorsport.

Billionaire team owners Gerry Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven of Champ Car have been in talks for two weeks with Indy Racing League founder Tony George and high-profile team owner Roger Penske to end their divisive and bitter war.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/02/11/7646_gold-coast-top-story.html

Now I'm starting to sound like the mergefication version of sanquin.

indycool
10th February 2008, 22:20
Run by various configurations of BoDs, CART went out of business. Run by four owners, CC is in a position to merge. IMO, committees ain't gonna work at all. Once it's done, I figure Barnhart will just handle it like he has been. He has respect among the IRL paddock and Cotman has the same from the CC paddock. It'll just go on down the road. Sure, everyone will complain at some time or another, but that happens with both series (and both series' fans) now. No difference.

gerkebi
11th February 2008, 00:06
Tony isn't going anywhere. This isn't a merger, it's a asset purchase of certain assets (contracts) of OWRS by Tony and teams moving to the IRL.

indycool
11th February 2008, 01:40
True, gerkebi.

Chaparral66
11th February 2008, 04:55
To answer your question, I would say Roger Penske would be a good CEO. Penske is the only one whom Tony George would not diss.

garyshell
11th February 2008, 05:41

"Obviously????" Why is it obvious? I don't follow that.

My two choices for CEO are not on your list. Mario and Gurney.

Gary

Chaparral66
11th February 2008, 07:13
"Obviously????" Why is it obvious? I don't follow that.

My two choices for CEO are not on your list. Mario and Gurney.

Gary

Those choices are good people, but no way would TG allow them in that role. Mario has been very critical of TG, and Gurney might be viewed as the one who started this thing back in 1979 with his "White Paper". Not that I'm suggesting that Our Good Friend Tony George tends to harbor a grudge :D

millencolin
11th February 2008, 09:55
Cotman for sure.

MAX_THRUST
11th February 2008, 13:21
Me.

I would n't take no crap off of TG or anyone else that upset the apple CART!!!!

Seriously a similar system to CART would work, team owners get a vote depending on how many cars they have, and to prevent TG and other track owners getting grumpy and starting there own series, let the track owners have a vote each on the board.

At the end of the day you have three guys at the top who then look at the votes and agree to do what the teams want. The three at the top have no voting power and are merely there to stear the ship and play captain of the ship, so Gurney, Mario Andretti and one other would be ideal. They would be public figures that make sure the voters vote correctly and then pass the information on to the PR department once things are decided and shake hands with series sponsors/suppliers.

Hell it may even work. Let TG be one of the three, but then he couldn't vote as a track owner or team owner.

See how this works now!!!!

TG can have voting power, or be a figure head and enjoy the fact that he is top dog. But top dog with no say or he can vote as a track owner and team owner.

Its the same for some other team owners as well who have tracks they promote etc.

Actually I don't care as long as there is one series this year and its on Eurosport.