PDA

View Full Version : My Computer was buggered

Valve Bounce
10th February 2008, 08:00
On thursday night, just after Inspector Rex and Unit One, I went back to my computer and found that the program System Tweaks which I was running to optimise my PC was hung. So I clicked to close teh program, and Lo and Behold I found a window on my screen which said: ISASS.EXE - System Error with the message: [b]" When trying to upgrade password, this return status indicates that the current value provided for the password is incorrect".

Then my PC went into conniptions, running itself till it found the above message and rebooting itself continuously. After two hours to correct this and then finding what was wrong via my wife's laptop, I realised the only way out was to re-install Windows XP. After 3 attempts, the last including reformatting my hard drive, I was able to get the PC running and then to re-install all the stuff I needed to, not helped by the DELL drivers re-installating CD which didn't work. So I had to visit the Dell website and download these drivers via my wife's laptop, then transfer them to my PC via a memory key.

Now after 3 days of hard work, I think I have finally re-installed all the Windows security stuff, my firewall, anti-virus and a spyware program, and most importantly, re-installed Mechwarrior Merceneries and downloaded the MP3 patches which took like forever.

I just wonder if this has happened to anyone else. :(

Daniel
10th February 2008, 08:52
Do not run anything which says it will "tweak" or "optimise" or "speed up" your system. This is tech speak for "It's going to **** your PC up good and proper"

XP will get slower as you go along. That's just the way it is.

Valve Bounce
10th February 2008, 09:23
Thanks for the heads up. :bigcry:

Dave B
10th February 2008, 10:43
Do not run anything which says it will "tweak" or "optimise" or "speed up" your system. This is tech speak for "It's going to **** your PC up good and proper"

I agree.

XP will get slower as you go along. That's just the way it is.
I disagree. If you occasionally do a full uninstall on programmes you no longer need, AND use a utility like CCleaner to get rid of the crap and to check your registry; AND periodically have a purge of startup processes, AND once in a while defrag your harddrive, then XP will zip along just fine and dandy. :)

Valve Bounce
10th February 2008, 11:45
Interesting that you mention it, but the guy who helped me sort out my PC told me he uses CCleaner, and it is great.

Dave B
10th February 2008, 11:55
It's frightening the first time you run CCleaner and realise just how much rubbish Windows accumulates :eek:

Personally I run it once per week- or you can set it to automatically run on startup.

Daniel
10th February 2008, 11:59
I agree.

I disagree. If you occasionally do a full uninstall on programmes you no longer need, AND use a utility like CCleaner to get rid of the crap and to check your registry; AND periodically have a purge of startup processes, AND once in a while defrag your harddrive, then XP will zip along just fine and dandy. :)
True enough. I much prefer to do a reinstall as any corrupted drivers or registry files which a reinstall or registry clean won't fix get sorted automatically :)

I've just got my own PC and have nothing else other than my games, a DivX codec, flash, shockwave, acrobat and MSN messenger installed. I fully intend to keep it that way :)

Valve Bounce
10th February 2008, 22:42
It's frightening the first time you run CCleaner and realise just how much rubbish Windows accumulates :eek:

Personally I run it once per week- or you can set it to automatically run on startup.

After re-installing from my original DELL software, I had to install Service Pak2, then install all the Windows security upgrades, then convert to Internet Explorer 7 then install my printer/Scanner software. Then I installed my MechWarrior4 and the MekTek patches.

Last download was the CCleaner, which I then ran, and I just could not believe the number of temporary files this programme had to clean up. Then I ran my defrag program, and the hard disc looked like a bunch of red and orange spaghetti. That took over an hour to defrag - I went to sleep.

I only have one important question here - although I guess I know the answer :(
"Does installing Limewire and downloading music have a serious impact on the likelihood of malware infecetions? I do run a firewall, Cyberscrub anti-virus, and Grisoft anti spyware.

Guys, please let me know.

Dave B
11th February 2008, 12:50
Downloading MP3 files shouldn't be a risk if (a) you've got a decent anti-virus and Spyware programme, and (b) you're positive that they actually are MP3s and not executable files in disguise.

Sounds like you're being sensible enough :)

Valve Bounce
12th February 2008, 01:47
Downloading MP3 files shouldn't be a risk if (a) you've got a decent anti-virus and Spyware programme, and (b) you're positive that they actually are MP3s and not executable files in disguise.

Sounds like you're being sensible enough :)

After 4 days, and my PC still isn't where it used to be. :(

I'm through with being stupid!! :bigcry:

I've lost many e-mail addresses, all my search and reference links, and I don't know whether I will be able to get the lap times from F1.com. :(

I tell you, I was that close to dumping my PC into the bin.

Mark
12th February 2008, 08:49
I tell you, I was that close to dumping my PC into the bin.

Sometimes that's the best way to recover, not literally but doing the software equivalent of just reinstalling the OS from scratch.

FrankenSchwinn
12th February 2008, 09:04
funny thing, i was about to go on this forum (i never check the chitchat) and ask about computers f'n up..

mine isn't any stupid slower than usual but some stuff just will NOT open. like control panel, messenger, windows media player, folders.. just firefox basically. and i think the recycle bin. what's up with that? i did run the microsoft thing to see if any windows programs are being tempered with and it came out with just one that it eliminated automatically. but it still doesn't work properly. should i find and download that CCleaner thing? and as far as downloading music, i use soulseek, is it still as safe as it was 5ish years ago?

Valve Bounce
12th February 2008, 09:32
funny thing, i was about to go on this forum (i never check the chitchat) and ask about computers f'n up..

mine isn't any stupid slower than usual but some stuff just will NOT open. like control panel, messenger, windows media player, folders.. just firefox basically. and i think the recycle bin. what's up with that? i did run the microsoft thing to see if any windows programs are being tempered with and it came out with just one that it eliminated automatically. but it still doesn't work properly. should i find and download that CCleaner thing? and as far as downloading music, i use soulseek, is it still as safe as it was 5ish years ago?

From my most recent experience, CCleaner is the first step as it cleans as well as sorts your registry. If that doesn't do the trick, try using the operating system disc, press F12 on startup and use teh repair option first. If that doesn't work, reformatting seems to be the answer, although you'd want to save all your programs and e-mail addresses and photos and music.

Good luck.

FrankenSchwinn
13th February 2008, 09:37
well, well, i got spybot and ccleaner and some microsoft stuff and it's still poopy. when i run these programs they never finish. they just keep running for hours but never end. spybot showed that the scan was complete but it never showed me a screen saying that, instead it just looked like it ought to still be running. i even tried in safe mode and nothing nothing nothing nothing......

any computer wizards out there to give me hints (i don't know much about them, they don't have wheels).

A.F.F.
13th February 2008, 09:53
http://www.throwitoutofthewindow.com

FrankenSchwinn
13th February 2008, 20:43
OUCH!! did the Heinola complaint choir suggest this link while lounging on the edge of Konnivesi?

daniel, i know you know a trick or two. care to share (or via PM)?

Daniel
13th February 2008, 21:29
OUCH!! did the Heinola complaint choir suggest this link while lounging on the edge of Konnivesi?

daniel, i know you know a trick or two. care to share (or via PM)?
Do you have any of the disks that came with the machine? :)

Valve Bounce
13th February 2008, 23:19
well, well, i got spybot and ccleaner and some microsoft stuff and it's still poopy. when i run these programs they never finish. they just keep running for hours but never end. spybot showed that the scan was complete but it never showed me a screen saying that, instead it just looked like it ought to still be running. i even tried in safe mode and nothing nothing nothing nothing......

any computer wizards out there to give me hints (i don't know much about them, they don't have wheels).

I downloaded CCleaner and it works a treat. I would suggest you uninstall your CCleaner and re-download it again. When selecting run after you download, give it lotsa time to get itself installed properly.

FrankenSchwinn
18th February 2008, 14:25
Do you have any of the disks that came with the machine? :)

indeed i do.... do you think i should re-install windows?

Daniel
18th February 2008, 16:51
indeed i do.... do you think i should re-install windows?
If you can save all your data yes :)

FrankenSchwinn
19th February 2008, 19:29
now, how about this?

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm

FrankenSchwinn
19th February 2008, 19:30
if not, then what are the "proper" ways to reinstall windows?

Daniel
19th February 2008, 20:08
if not, then what are the "proper" ways to reinstall windows?

What discs do you have?

Valve Bounce
22nd February 2008, 22:23
I have re-installed windows XP and nvidia. My problem right now is that some fonts in my forum posts are too large. Like, the post quick reply and Go advanced are normal, but the names of the guys and the headings of the forums are miles too large.

What can I do :bigcry:

Daniel
22nd February 2008, 23:03
press and hold control down and move the scrollwheel :)

FrankenSchwinn
23rd February 2008, 10:09
What discs do you have?

my computer is a Dell Latitude D800
my disks are:
-drivers and utilities: device drivers, diagnostics and utilities
-winDVD
-winDVD
-operating system: micros' windows XP home ed. including service pack 1a
-McAfee virus scan 2004 ver 8.0
-application: roxio CD creator

and no, i cannot find my gold disk here (probably still is at the place i used to live).

that's the one i needed isn't it?

Daniel
23rd February 2008, 10:20
I would have thought the MS disc you mentioned would be fine. But perhaps shoot an email off to Dell to be certain.

Valve Bounce
23rd February 2008, 10:46
press and hold control down and move the scrollwheel :)

Hey!! it worked. Thanks!!