PDA

View Full Version : Immobilisers

Hazell B
9th February 2008, 19:33
16 years ago, when my poor old Discovery was born, immobilisers were a costly extra on cars. However, baby Boris rolled off the production line with assorted paid for options (including an immobiliser) and some of them still even work now he's old and hitting 130k.

This morning the immobile part came true, when it should have been mobile. Then the central locking decided to have a good day and spring in to life all on it's own, with the dogs inside and me outside. Alarm screaming (something that hasn't worked since the dogs discovered they could set it off and wore it out in an afternoon), doors locked, lights flashing like a real disco .... and me leaning on the bonnet rolling a cigarette completely ignoring the fuss :p :

If anyone wants to know how to bypass a Land Rover immobiliser with any Yale key, just drop me a PM ;) It's loud and it's dirty, but if I can do it anyone can :mark:

Has your immobiliser ever gone haywire?

Erki
9th February 2008, 20:42
What the hell is immobiliser at all??

Erki
9th February 2008, 20:52
A helpful tip of the day: don't let the remote fall on concrete from the height of fifth floor. Especially if it's the only thing that's gonna open the doors of your car. :p

Mark
9th February 2008, 22:31
I had a problem yesterday when I got into the car and my hazard warning lights started flashing and I could not turn them off. Then they would turn off by themselves then go back on after a while. I tried driving and they would stay off while I was moving but when I stopped they started again. I discovered the loud speaker on my alarm had failed and I was setting the alarm off the whole time.

Hazell B
12th February 2008, 17:33
What the hell is immobiliser at all??

It cuts off the engine if anyone breaks in or tries using the wrong keys, or it's an Alfa :p :

Mark, best test your battery, the flashing lights won't have helped it if it's running even slightly low - it could even be a sign the battery is near the end of it's life when the alarm kicks in for no good reason. We've had the same thing happen twice with my partner's vehicles now and both times he's had to buy a new battery within the month. You'd think he'd have learned after the first time, but no :mark:

GridGirl
12th February 2008, 18:45
Never had any immobiliers trouble on any of the cars I've owned. I suppose with immobilers being so effective these days it's a big reason why thieves now break into your house to steal your car keys before driving off with your car.

Mark
13th February 2008, 08:58
It cuts off the engine if anyone breaks in or tries using the wrong keys, or it's an Alfa :p :

Mark, best test your battery, the flashing lights won't have helped it if it's running even slightly low - it could even be a sign the battery is near the end of it's life when the alarm kicks in for no good reason. We've had the same thing happen twice with my partner's vehicles now and both times he's had to buy a new battery within the month. You'd think he'd have learned after the first time, but no :mark:

Well it seems that the alarm is working fine, it's just that it doesn't make a noise any more. On testing it appears to be functioning as it should do and my lights haven't flashed since.