PDA

View Full Version : Under Age Drinkers

Hazell B
6th February 2008, 18:55
The government has today announced yet another crack down and new laws for under age drinkers in the UK.

All hot air, of course. It's just another case of sounding like they're introducing something that'll solve a problem, but that's actually going to make no difference at all :mark:

Over the past year or so myself and my neighbours have called the police dozens and dozens of times about kids drinking (often from entire crates of Stella they've bought!) either on the riverbank outside my home or at the house at the end of the street, which is rented to an 18 year old with no brain and a drink problem. The police have only turned up ONCE from all those calls.

They openly buy booze at a shop nearby, which has never been police checked despite all of us complaining repeatedly. Some of these children are perhaps only fourteen when they buy the stuff. Most might be 17, but are more likely 16 as I've never seen any of them on anything but a push bike.

Good old Brit government, they'll save the day they say. Perhaps they should first consider adding to the police numbers before inventing yet more work for the poor bobby ..... :(

Rant over. It would have been a full blown rant, but I'm tired after being kept awake late last night by under age drinkers at the end of the street :mark:

Drew
6th February 2008, 19:05
It's not really going to solve anything. The government has to sort out why teenagers drink, not just ban it.

How many people here have drunk underage in the local park or at parties? I know I have, I wouldn't really class myself a criminal either for doing it.

Erki
6th February 2008, 20:26
Huh? I thought it was fairly normal for teenagers to drink themselves into delirium. :confused: Everyone seems to be so proud of their drinking adventures so I don't think there's anything to be surprised of..

MrJan
6th February 2008, 20:52
Sadly you can't do much about it. The police won't put some noisy kids at the top of their priorities and the Government are more likely to invest in schools and the NHS.

As for banning it there isn't much point. To be honest I think it's easier for kids to get drugs than to buy booze so banning drinking will just amplify drugs use amongst the young.

Rudy Tamasz
7th February 2008, 08:01
I'd rather have the gov't sit and do nothing than pretend doing something because these guys are useless anyway. They will only waste taxpayers money.

I observed how city gov't tried to crackdown on underage drinking when I lived in Illinois. First they bought a pretty expensive armored vehicle and used it... to deliver subpoenas to the owners of the bars where there were alleged cases of underage drinking. Then they had reports that teens were seen drinking in a park. instead of sending an extra patrol car they erased the park. And so on. Oh, the perennial wisdom of the government!

Dave B
7th February 2008, 13:01
Laws schmores. As already posted, you can pass all the laws you like but if there's nobody around to enforce them then you'll fail. Miserably.

The opposition aren't much better, Cameron's recent idea of adding 10p to the price of a pint won't solve anything. Getting ratarsed would cost a teenager an extra quid or two - hardly likely to put them off.

maxu05
7th February 2008, 14:16
Take them all to Octoberfest, get them so drunk they puke, then they may stop drinking. It didn't work with me, but it sounds good in theory. :beer: :beer: :laugh:

L5->R5/CR
7th February 2008, 15:01
It's not really going to solve anything. The government has to sort out why teenagers drink, not just ban it.

How many people here have drunk underage in the local park or at parties? I know I have, I wouldn't really class myself a criminal either for doing it.

They are bored.

There are two types of under aged drinkers in my experience.

There is the less common type, more frequently found in rural areas, that drink, because that is what their mothers, fathers, grandfathers, and so on were able to drink at a certain age so they just do it, sort of a right of passage kind of thing.

Then there are the kids in the suburbs with parents that work a ton that have lots of their parents money to spend but "nothing" to do. These are the kids that drink and do drugs just to do something. It might sound stupid, but I knew a lot of these types when I was in highschool, I flat out asked them why the would get flat out drunk on the weekends, the majority responded "we just do, I mean, it is something to do, I guess it is fun".

I didn't drink much when I was young, and I still don't, now that I am of legal age. Alcohol is too expensive to consume in large quantities at one time. That money can be spent elsewhere and provide far more enjoyment than getting flat out drunk.

SEATFreak
7th February 2008, 17:00
Sadly you can't do much about it.

You start a whole merchandise industry based on that saying y'know! ;)

Seriously though, it seems a lot of the time certain people have all the answers like matters of state like political ones; that is until it comes to serious matters where it affects them. Then they seem all to eager to wash their hands of it and write it off as something "you cannot do much about".

How can people say their really is absolutely no possibility ever of finding a soluton to the problem; whever it might be? C'mon, surely one has to eventually emerge; even if it takes months or years for someone to find what side to the problem which when tackled would yield the best results.

Drew suggested tackling why. L5->R5/CR suggested boredom with the main type being those who drinks because they have so much time and money yet so little to do. I know the ones L5 means. The ones I can't believe do things because they are a genuine social nuisance. Those who are reduced to a bus shelter or something for their latenight social hangout with their only means of comfort it seems a can of lager or a bottle of alcopop because they have literally no place to call their own.

So what can we do about that? Is it really as impossible as you think for these kids to be asked what they like to do as an interest and put on some project. So if a kid likes doing up cars put together a project that takes old bangers and does them up. Why not? Are old bangers expensive to buy?

The Maren Trust here in South Tyneside did something similar. Except they refurbused a boat or something.

Bored? Give em activities that stimulates their brain and makes them feel valued.

Drew
7th February 2008, 17:18
Of course things are a little different in every country.

I think there are 4 main reasons in the UK.
1) Teenagers want to have fun,
2) Teenagers have little real confidence,
3) Teenagers have nothing else to do,
4) Peer pressure.

I'd have to say 1 and 2 applied to me. We had other things to do we had skate parks, parks, playstations and that. Unfortunetly some places don't have that and that's when things get violent.

A problem with a project car is that it'll mainly be done by people that aren't old enough to drive and as soon as they fix it up, what are they gonna do? The project idea is good, it just has to be very un British, it has to be a relaxed environment.

LotusElise
7th February 2008, 17:51
There are existing laws which are meant to cover this - if those were actually applied, then there wouldn't be such a problem. Trouble is, there are so many factors in this: it is possible to fine shopkeepers and pubs who sell to under-agers, but then the teens will just get older friends or their parents to buy their drink for them. They might even steal it. I also think that shopkeepers would prefer not to provide the alcohol, but they are intimidated.

Certain areas where I live which supposedly suffer from this problem have now been made "dispersal zones". This means that anyone congregating there in groups of more than two is moved on. This doesn't work and gets people's backs up - the police often go after soft targets like people sitting eating M&S sandwiches on a wall too close together.

As Hazell says, the police do not have the manpower or wherewithal to enforce a specific ban on public underage drinking. They can't even deal with it as a "breach of the peace" effectively.

The only answer I can see is banning outdoor alcohol consumption, like in Sweden. The British mentality is not ready for relaxing the laws yet.

jso1985
7th February 2008, 21:50
The only answer I can see is banning outdoor alcohol consumption, like in Sweden. The British mentality is not ready for relaxing the laws yet.

Worked here in Bolivia too. Underage drinking still exists though but the rate has dropped like 50% since the law was passed in 1992, and it also did wonders to drop rates on crime, street fights and alcohol-induced car accidents.

LeonBrooke
7th February 2008, 22:05
I'm convinced the best thing is to raise the drinking age back up to 20. I don't think many people over 20 would be willing to buy alcohol for youths. I have no idea why they lowered it to 18 in the first place.

Banning public consumption is the answer to a number of problems, in my opinion - they've done it in central Auckland and it's great.

BDunnell
8th February 2008, 00:05

Me neither.

The other problem is that local authorities, in whom powers relating to licensing laws are vested, are useless at enforcing the rules. In the small town I come from, there is a problem with under-age drinking. Everyone knows the off-licence and the pub that are major parts of the problem. Does anything ever get done? No, and it's not because of a lack of police, because the measures required to deal with it would not require a large number of police officers. There seems to be no will to use the legal mechanisms at the authorities' disposal.