PDA

View Full Version : Black Ice experiences, any do's and donts?

Zico
3rd February 2008, 16:29
After the Aquaplaning thread I thought it would be interesting to hear of anyones experiences of hitting black ice.

One evening last winter we had a thick layer of frost on a private carpark we had access to, it had the perfect amount of grip to play safely at low to moderate speeds at crazy angles on the makeshift course, much to the astonishment of a guy from South Africa who had never seen this rally style of driving before. He asked me what to do on the event of hitting black ice which I didnt really have an answer for. My reply was simply awareness, to be aware of overnight temps as to the best of my knowledge theres not a lot you can do other than try and not to lock the wheels up on braking. He then went on to tell me of how he nearly wrote off his Ford Galaxy on his 1st winter over here on hitting black ice driving out of his housing estate.

I had a heart stopping experience a few years ago on joining the duel carraigeway on the way to work one morning. The air temp was above freezing and the road was merely damp until I joined the DC, A straight bit of road, downhill, nose to tail in traffic on both lanes and I was wondering why everyone was going so slow (35mph) and started braking. I soon realised when I hit the pedal... NOTHING! ABS pulse but near absolute zero effect on slowing the car down. The car in front with its wheels fully locked started drifting sideways due to the slight camber on the road then bouncing along the curb. My heart was in my mouth, here I was in a totally unexpected situation which I had so little control over and the outcome was gonna depend on whether anyone spun in front of me. Much to my amazement no one did and by a sheer fluke I emerged unscathed..

Any other similar or not so similar experiences?
What, if anything can you actually do in this situation.. any do's and donts?

schmenke
3rd February 2008, 17:14
Nasty stuff black ice.
Like you said Zico, the best advice is to be aware of the climactic conditions where black ice is likely to occur :mark:

A few years ago, with the missus driving, we hit black ice, lost control and did a couple of 360's down a 4-lane divided highway. Luckily we managed to avoid the steel barriers on either side and the traffic zipping by us :s . The car came to a stop pointing in the opposite direction. We were unscathed although we promptly pulled over to clean out our pants :mark:

Easy Drifter
3rd February 2008, 18:23
Black ice is very hard to spot as it looks very like wet pavement. It usually (not always) glistens a little more. If you start to slide there is not much you can do except be ready to sort things out when you are clear of it and hope you are clear before things go bang.

Daniel
4th February 2008, 10:58
I always thought that when you were on black ice you were just a passenger?

J4MIE
4th February 2008, 11:03
Listen for a lack of road noise. If it's quiet, it's ice!

Magnus
4th February 2008, 11:42
Listen for a lack of road noise. If it's quiet, it's ice!

Exactly! Especially if it has been raining over day, and the skies are clearing, there is a potential black ice hazard, and if the car the gets less noisy, itīs time to take some precautionary measures.
Nice to hear that someone else using this method as a hint regarding lack of friction.

Les
4th February 2008, 12:42
I got caught out a few years back.... came up to a t-junction quite slowly, braked and nothing.... slide out into the main road thankfully between cars... never been so scared in all my life.
Also did the old motorbike on brow of bridge with a bend.... bike went left and I went right.

All I thought you could do is pump the brakes but I tend to drive with braking and accleration only when the wheels straight when the roads are dodgy

Mark
4th February 2008, 13:19
I got caught out a few years back.... came up to a t-junction quite slowly, braked and nothing.... slide out into the main road thankfully between cars... never been so scared in all my life.
Also did the old motorbike on brow of bridge with a bend.... bike went left and I went right.

All I thought you could do is pump the brakes but I tend to drive with braking and accleration only when the wheels straight when the roads are dodgy

Wor Karen had a similar experience about a week ago. Coming up to a t-junction, braked and the just locked up and she went sliding forward, just about managed to wrestle it around the corner, thankfully nothing was coming!

MrJan
4th February 2008, 13:46
Thankfully I've never experienced it. Score one for the ever so slighlty warmer South :p : ;)