PDA

View Full Version : Beckham signs with LA...

pvtjoker
11th January 2007, 16:58
How does this change the soccer (football) world?

Woodeye
11th January 2007, 17:06

I think most are just relieved that Becks and Posh will go to States. :p Keeps 'em away from headlines.. maybe.

janneppi
11th January 2007, 17:10
I certainly wont see as many quality passes to Van Nistelrooy at La Liga games. I'll miss that.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 17:28
Apparently there is phone calls today for season's tickets going up ahead of the previous rate for Toronto's new MLS team, so I guess gulliable people are going to sign up for more tickets to just see Beckham once or twice in Toronto. A fool and his money perhaps? Naah, that is too harsh, soccer is alright, but Toronto has a ton of soccer fans, problem is, they always cheer for the teams, leagues and national teams of the old country. If Canada played Italy in a friendly, the game might as well be played in Turin or Rome.....

Dave B
11th January 2007, 17:32
I guess Posh wanted to move to LA, and Beckham was fed up with being the poor little boy who never gets picked any more.

pvtjoker
11th January 2007, 17:36
The MLS is getting better, but Mr. Beckham will find the competition is far inferior than what he was facing in Europe.

Ian McC
11th January 2007, 17:51
I guess Posh wanted to move to LA, and Beckham was fed up with being the poor little boy who never gets picked any more.

Oh and it's a serious amount of money as well ;)

race aficionado
11th January 2007, 17:52
It reminds me of the NY Cosmos days when we in the US started seing the likes of Pele, Beckenbauer, and many other starts that had reached their peak joining different teams in the USA Soccer league.
It was a lot of fun because they did show their brilliance and we were fortunate enough to see them on a regular basis.
I wonder who will be the next teams to get their own mayor "star" in their roster.
A lot of money will be thrown around i'm sure.

:s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 18:05
Becks needs inferior talent to play against apparently, he is NOT the player he used to be according to the soccer press over here that I know of.

I would say Beck's is in LA so the wife can shop Rodeo Drive and maybe restart her career, although other than 15 mins of fame with the talentless Spice girls (looked good, lame music), I have yet to figure out Posh can do. She looks great, nice tribute to plastic surgery, but somehow looking pretty is her sole talent....

CarlMetro
11th January 2007, 18:09
Well it's not what I'd call a good career move, but then if they are paying him a reputed £128 million for a five year contract I can't say I blame him.

Hazell B
11th January 2007, 18:59
Well it's not what I'd call a good career move, but then if they are paying him a reputed £128 million for a five year contract I can't say I blame him.

That's pretty much what I thought when a few months ago a friend (who's into all this ball and foot rubbish) told me Beckham's due to be dropped and will go stateside.

It seems he's looking at football schools for rich septic kids in a certain part of the US and has been for some time ;) The plan, it appears, was to go there when he's finished playing anyway.

Tshbez
11th January 2007, 19:13
That's a hell of a lot of money. That's like being paid £500,000 odd a week to play for a team in the championship division in England.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 19:19
Sad part is, I don't see how the MLS makes that money back, at least they wont on gate receipts, and while we know who Beck's is over here North America, I cant see American's all the sudden network tv cover the MLS hot and heavy to see Beck's.

Hazell B
11th January 2007, 19:26
They get the cash back from product sponsorships and so on, using the Beckham name.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 19:47
Lot of sponsorship will have to be sold to pay for Becks....a LOT. You could buy every MLS franchise for what they will pay Becks....

Rollo
11th January 2007, 19:48
I think if anything it's Beck admitting that his footballing career is for all intents and purposes over.

The ironic thing about all of this is that Posh spent more time performing at Wembley than her husband did.

jim mcglinchey
11th January 2007, 19:52
I think if anything it's Beck admitting that his footballing career is for all intents and purposes over.

The ironic thing about all of this is that Posh spent more time performing at Wembley than her husband did.

but perhaps Posh thinks that her movie career could just be starting.....dunno what kind of movies shed be good in though nyuk nyuk.

Hazell B
11th January 2007, 20:01
Lot of sponsorship will have to be sold to pay for Becks....a LOT. You could buy every MLS franchise for what they will pay Becks....

It's a gamble sure enough.

No idea what he'll have signed up to do, but the options for making money out of him will include the obvious book deals, accademy training, personal appearances and wearing somebody's brand names. He'll also have signed for so many hours each year hosting events (with very expensive ticket sales, of course) and I expect other sporting events will pay his team for having him appear as a guest - like starting a motor race or similar. It's quite common here, so the Americans must do the same thing.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 20:17
True but Becks is a big name with Soccer fans in North America, and just sort of a name to the others. AS curious as Americans are, they don't exactly go nuts for soccer or the stars the way they did with Pele. Also note, Pele played in NY, where ethnic roots to Europe are far stronger and soccer has a bit of a built in constinuency.

I think Becks will be good for the MLS, but there is no way they will get their money out of this deal. He is a "loss leader" for them.

Ian McC
11th January 2007, 20:21
Oh you can just see Posh in LA though maybe not enough people will recognise her as she walks down the street for her liking. I am sure they will set about changing that though.

Hazell B
11th January 2007, 20:22
Beckham may not appeal to the masses, but Hollywood stars love him. If he arrives to play football or host a dinner with Tom Cruise or P Diddy as his guest, he'll draw newspaper articles galore.

That's where his value lies, I think.

FrankenSchwinn
11th January 2007, 20:52
LA Galaxy? what a cheesy name.....

he will increase the popularity of football with the white middle class kids who now play in schools and would not go to MLS games. now they'll go to see him play, so i guess it's increasing "soccer" popularity in the US. but still, bring it on little man! DC United is going to kick yo butt!

Tomi
11th January 2007, 20:54
Good move, the average IQ did go up by 50% in both countries.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th January 2007, 21:30
I would say Beck's is in LA so the wife can shop Rodeo Drive and maybe restart her career

Victoria starts to sing again!!!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :s hock:

It's a bad move for Becks, He should have gone to somewhere like Newcastle, Tottenham or Portsmouth where he could have ended his career at a high level and if he performed to his ability maybe get an England call-up :erm:

BeansBeansBeans
11th January 2007, 21:37
It's a shame from a footballing point of view. He may not be the player he was, but he still had a good couple of years in the top flight left in him. I'd have been pleased to see him back in the Premiership.

viper_man
11th January 2007, 21:49
The problem is none of the clubs in this country aside from the big four would be able to afford him, and none of those would have him as he is past his best. He has only made limited appearances for Madrid in the overall time he was there and that says a lot of it. Chelsea, Manyoo, Liverpool or Arsenal would not play him week in week out and due to the collective popularity of the clubs they dont need his image. So it would have been a massive waste of money.

He is on a reported £128M deal for 5 years, according to the last I heard, with the majority of that being payment for his image rights. Dont forget even with the new so called Beckham rule, if it comes into full effect, MLS teams still have salary caps, so he wont be on a mega amount a week. He will mostly be there to function as an ambassador for the MLS so as to raise its profile and a bridge to European football, using the Beckham Brand to do so. Also expect to see him in every American TV advert ever from now on.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 22:17
It works out to 55 Million a year. Utter stupidity, there is NO way the MLS will make that much collectively in profit in a year, much less the LA Galaxy. All this for a fading star who may not have been ever the best player in the world.

I guess there is a sucker born every minute, and the people running the Galaxy are one BIG lollipop.

Rollo
11th January 2007, 22:36
How's about a fiver on Becks being on I'm A Celebrity along with Linda Barker, Kim Medcalf, Paul Whitehouse in 2008?

themo
11th January 2007, 23:30
Victoria starts to sing again!!!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :s hock:

It's a bad move for Becks, He should have gone to somewhere like Newcastle, Tottenham or Portsmouth where he could have ended his career at a high level and if he performed to his ability maybe get an England call-up :erm:

did she ever sing ?

Daika
12th January 2007, 00:12
Just went to the LA galaxy site just to take a quick look. Americans really love statistics! So many numbers about every thing. Good for Beckam. Can't say that i'm gonna miss him, he wasn't that good.

He is still better then the MLS players but this is clearly a move to conquer America with the "brand" Beckam and play a few football games along the way.

fandango
12th January 2007, 00:15
Ah well, now we know where an unwanted galactico goes....

Sirius
12th January 2007, 03:16
It reminds me of the NY Cosmos days when we in the US started seing the likes of Pele, Beckenbauer, and many other starts that had reached their peak joining different teams in the USA Soccer league.
It was a lot of fun because they did show their brilliance and we were fortunate enough to see them on a regular basis.
I wonder who will be the next teams to get their own mayor "star" in their roster.
A lot of money will be thrown around i'm sure.

I feel the same as you do race aficionado. The old NASL was a league that I followed quite closely as soccer has always been my sport.

I remember when our team the Vancouver Whitecaps won the championship in 1979 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies. I'll never forget the warm nights at Empire Stadium that showcased some of he world's top players on a regular basis. We had quite a number of players from the UK but the one player who stood above the rest for our team was Dutchman Rudi Krol. He was truly amazing! He could put a ball at your feet from 30-40 yards all night long. He had what we call "The Dutch Touch" whenever he was on the pitch.

I think the main difference today is that Beckham is coming into a situation quite different to the days when Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer arrived in North America. The game in the US today has stronger roots than it did many years ago and I think that will greatly increase the chances of game really taking hold in this part of the world. I'm still not convinced that soccer will ever become as popular as the other major sports in the US, however I'm certain that if anyone can take the sport to the next level, it is Beckham.

Just wait and see what happens when he shows America what he can do with one of his free kicks.

Sirius

race aficionado
12th January 2007, 03:43
. . . .Just wait and see what happens when he shows America what he can do with one of his free kicks.

Sirius
Sirius, it will also be interesting to know who he will be playing with. Having good team mates is a must (understatement, I know :dozey: ) but I haven't been following the league so I don't know who he will be teamed with.

And yes, soccer was great fun in those days and I do remember Rudi Krol. When I tell my son that I would go to Giants stadium to see the likes of Krol, Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and other greats that escape my mind, he can't beleave me.
It was indeed a treat.
And as I said before, more will come.

Sirius
12th January 2007, 04:09
Sirius, it will also be interesting to know who he will be playing with. Having good team mates is a must (understatement, I know :dozey: ) but I haven't been following the league so I don't know who he will be teamed with.

And yes, soccer was great fun in those days and I do remember Rudi Krol. When I tell my son that I would go to Giants stadium to see the likes of Krol, Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and other greats that escape my mind, he can't beleave me.
It was indeed a treat.
And as I said before, more will come.

I don't really follow the MLS either because the Vancouver Whitecaps play in the league below the MLS and that is the USL. The Whitecaps did win the championship this past year so that was great for us fans and the soccer community in general here in Vancouver. The MLS is the top professional league in North Amercia and have many notable players from afar.

If you have a look at the link below and scroll down to the very bottom you will see a list of the many notable players who play and have played in the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

I'm sure many people will now be aware of the league now that Beckham has arrived. I just wonder who will follow him?

Sirius

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 04:35
Sirius, If any city in Canada should be in the MLS, it is Vancouver. Your support of the Whitecaps and the 86's is well beyond the tepid results Toronto has had in soccer support. Toronto is so ethnically tied to teams from the old country that you have an Italian team coming in to play Canada in a friendly, and the Italian fans would be out in force cheering for the Azzuri, and then driving home to St. Clair Ave or Woodbridge.

That said Beckham might bring people like myself out, who know they were never huge soccer fans, but his name and those wild bending kicks might be worth a look. That and Toronto's new soccer only stadium (5 yards too short to put in a CFL field, THAT apparently was by design...dumb eh?) might be a draw...

pino
12th January 2007, 07:21
I am glad that you guys didn't post this news in the exsisting foot-thread. Ever since he moved to Real, Beckam has had nothing to do with "real" football :p : ;)

oily oaf
12th January 2007, 07:52
I am glad that you guys didn't post this news in the exsisting foot-thread. Ever since he moved to Real, Beckam has had nothing to do with "real" football :p : ;)

Yeah that's right Pino
A player who was snatched at 17 from under the noses of Tottenham and West Ham where he was born by one of the biggest clubs in world football namely Manchester United who he represented brilliantly for many years making 265 first team appearances and scoring 62 goals in between representing his country in 3 World Cups and becoming the ONLY player in world football ever to score in all of them before being signed by arguably the most famous club in the world Real Madrid for whom he made 63 appearances and became a great favourite with the Spanish club's supporters.

Quite clearly he must have been absolute rubbish :rolleyes:

pino
12th January 2007, 07:57
Quite clearly he must have been absolute rubbish :rolleyes:

For the last 3 years he has ! :p :

Storm
12th January 2007, 08:04
Well I don't really see a point in having a new Beckham thread though!

He was a marketing tool for Real Madrid..of course they wished he would play good football as well but that was secondary (to be fair he as always tried hard and played decently when all other fatsos , opps galacticos were dozing on the pitch...but in the end we know that he is not very good at it apart from corners, free kicks and crosses.)
Now they have no more use of him since the fans are baying for blood since ever since Becks arrived co-incidentally Real have won Copa/Liga Nada :)
El Gordo will be the next one out after this.

edit: oh yes oily dont be so touchy, but even most Brits know that although he is a good player he is not a great one ;)

odykas
12th January 2007, 08:53
His second option was Melbourne Kangaroos :devil: :laugh:

oily oaf
12th January 2007, 08:57
Well I don't really see a point in having a new Beckham thread though!

He was a marketing tool for Real Madrid..of course they wished he would play good football as well but that was secondary (to be fair he as always tried hard and played decently when all other fatsos , opps galacticos were dozing on the pitch...but in the end we know that he is not very good at it apart from corners, free kicks and crosses.)
Now they have no more use of him since the fans are baying for blood since ever since Becks arrived co-incidentally Real have won Copa/Liga Nada :)
El Gordo will be the next one out after this.

edit: oh yes oily dont be so touchy, but even most Brits know that although he is a good player he is not a great one ;)

I can't argue with much of that mate.
Beckham always gives 100% in every game he plays and he will probably continue to do so even in the "elephant's graveyard" of MLS.
I didn't say he was a great player in the way that Best, Di Stephano or Pele were great but he was a brilliant exponent of the great strengths which you have outlined above and has dug his clubs and country out of a hole on numerous occasions.
This is why I just cannot understand for the life of me some of the criticism that gets levelled against him by a number of his countrymen some of whom I had the misfortune to listen to on BBC radio last night.
These sad losers are jealous of the boy because of his talent, money, good looks and glamorous lifestyle.
They are all probably without exception one if not all of the following:

1/ No good at football at school and had to play hockey with the girlies in their vest and pants

2/ As ugly as sin and have never had a girlfriend

3/ Very very small so as to be almost invisible in the trouser region

4/ Thick

Pino I'm surprised at you as I've always had respect for your views on the world game but on this occasion you're wrong IMHO of course ;)

pino
12th January 2007, 09:48
Pino I'm surprised at you as I've always had respect for your views on the world game but on this occasion you're wrong IMHO of course ;)

It's ok oily, I am not perfect and I can be wrong too :p :

ArrowsFA1
12th January 2007, 10:37
This is why I just cannot understand for the life of me some of the criticism that gets levelled against him...
:up:

I agree. He may not be a 'legend' to rank alongside the great names of the past, but he's certainly a creation of the times we live in and a very talented footballer who has made the most of the talent he has.

Good luck to him :cool:

BeansBeansBeans
12th January 2007, 10:50
It seems to have become something of national sport (especially amongst those who don’t actually watch football) to criticise Beckham, and to suggest that he was never much cop. I’d say he was possibly the greatest crosser of the ball of his generation. He wasn’t too shabby with his long range shooting either, and was an inspirational force in the England team. As for his personality, I know a few people in the game and nobody has a bad word to say about him. If he signed for Liverpool tomorrow, I’d be a happy man, but as it is we probably couldn’t afford his wages!

viper_man
12th January 2007, 12:01

As its LA Galaxy the most high profile players he will be playing with are Cobi Bryant who always seemed a bit useful for the International side and Landon Donovan, who when he first hit the scene was destined for greatness but unfortunately it never happened or him at Bayer Leverkusen so he went back to the states. He is currently also their highest paid player, on $900,000 a year which is pennies compared to what Becks will be on in total

Dave B
12th January 2007, 12:37

Yup, kinda like JPM going to NASCAR :p

Drew
12th January 2007, 15:47
He's gone to America to form the best team there?

My knowledge of American football (this being proper football, not rugby with padding) isn't that great, but I imagined if you took Torquay United out there, they'd do pretty well.

Perhaps there will now be a stream of players heading to America :)

viper_man
12th January 2007, 15:51
Thats pretty much the level American football is at, although he has certainly joined the best team. Last season they were the only club to actually make a profit, albeit a small one.

I cant see a stream of players heading there though, Beckham has simply gone there to promote his name in the advertising and sponsorship world. The clubs wont be able to afford a massive influx of big talent players. If you want somewhere like that, look at Qatar. A few years ago people like Batistuta, Djorkaeff, the De Boers and many more were playing there for millions. Emile Mpenza has recently returned from a year out there and Figo is heading over that way next season.

Thats where the mega bucks are, Beckhams simply gone to the USA to get paid for advertising, and who knows maybe get into management.

luvracin
12th January 2007, 16:02

My prediction. It doesn't.

A new hot shoe will replace him in Europe.

Meanwhile his arrival in the USA will get the current MLS fanbase excited but the rest of the general public will most likely never notice.

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 16:04
Thats pretty much the level American football is at, although he has certainly joined the best team. Last season they were the only club to actually make a profit, albeit a small one.

I cant see a stream of players heading there though, Beckham has simply gone there to promote his name in the advertising and sponsorship world. The clubs wont be able to afford a massive influx of big talent players. If you want somewhere like that, look at Qatar. A few years ago people like Batistuta, Djorkaeff, the De Boers and many more were playing there for millions. Emile Mpenza has recently returned from a year out there and Figo is heading over that way next season.

Thats where the mega bucks are, Beckhams simply gone to the USA to get paid for advertising, and who knows maybe get into management.

This whole thing makes very little economic sense. Beckham will pull in 55 Million dollars PER Year for 5 years. He says it isn't for the money ( Like I believe you David, of course it is for the money!!!). The Galaxy may have made something close to a profit last year, but you could buy the whole team for 10 million likely. The stadium they play in is a nice small park where soccer is the only game, and that said, it would be a second division park if it was in England. This would be like the Belfast Giants paying Sidney Crosby of the NHL 20 million dollars a year. Or maybe like a Formula Ford team buying the rights to Jenson Button. It makes absolutely no real sense other than to get attention to the MLS

Now before anyone says that this is great or bad, there has to be some sort of ROI. When you pay one player in a league more than you could pay to buy 3 teams, and all in ONE season, you have to wonder just how much value Becks can give back to the league. I like the guy, I think he is a good man under all the glam, and he was a good teammate and one of the better players of his time, but still, this deal makes no sense to me.

The analogy JPM to NASCAR isn't accurate at all, because JPM isn't the saviour of NASCAR, he will have his beating every week until he realizes he isn't the tough guy on the block like he was in F1. No, Beck's is coming to be the saviour of a league that is about at best the English second division. I have no idea of how the heck they are going to utilize him but man, all power to him. Any time you can convince someone to pay you that much to do anything, it is an accomplishment!!!

race aficionado
12th January 2007, 16:26

Yo! Yo! Yo!

under the belt shot! :hmh:

see you at the NASVAR forum ;)

now back to Beckham. . . he's all over the news on this side of the pond.
The "yellow" yournalists are salivating as I write this :confused: (is that how you call them?)

any way . . . . Go Juan Pablo!

BDunnell
12th January 2007, 16:37
As for his personality, I know a few people in the game and nobody has a bad word to say about him.

Yes, this is true, no matter what people may think of his overall ability.

Sirius
12th January 2007, 17:01
Sirius, If any city in Canada should be in the MLS, it is Vancouver. Your support of the Whitecaps and the 86's is well beyond the tepid results Toronto has had in soccer support. Toronto is so ethnically tied to teams from the old country that you have an Italian team coming in to play Canada in a friendly, and the Italian fans would be out in force cheering for the Azzuri, and then driving home to St. Clair Ave or Woodbridge.

Hey Mark, I guess it would be easy for me to say that here in Vancouver we support our team with fierce loyalty. There are many huge soccer fans here and that has always been the case since I was quite young, however the game still lags far behind hockey and football in terms a popularity.

We hope to be able to get a franchise in the MLS, however at this time, we the loyal fans are waiting to see if the city will allow a new stadium along the waterfront. The problem we have today is that the current home of the Whitecaps seats just under 7,000 people, so I can clearly see the reason why we do not have an MLS franchise. If we can get the new stadium, which by the way looks promising, then I think we will greatly increase our chances of getting a franchise in the MLS. The signing of Beckham and any others after him will most certainly affect the city's decision in the end.

Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
That said Beckham might bring people like myself out, who know they were never huge soccer fans, but his name and those wild bending kicks might be worth a look. That and Toronto's new soccer only stadium (5 yards too short to put in a CFL field, THAT apparently was by design...dumb eh?) might be a draw...

I heard on CBC radio just this morning that former Dutch international Edgar Davids is talking with FC Dallas of the MLS. I'm not sure how truthful and accurate that report was but it would be another high-profile player coming over to play in North America.

Sirius

Sirius
12th January 2007, 17:16

Hmmm...quality post that is alright.

:rolleyes:

And while we seem to be taking shots at players and clubs, I would just like to take the time to say that I'm sure glad that I don't support an utter disgraced team like Juventus. Truly disgraceful!

Sirius

Hazell B
12th January 2007, 17:33
This whole thing makes very little economic sense. Beckham will pull in 55 Million dollars PER Year for 5 years.

I still don't get why you're so stuck on the financial side - are you paying his wage bill? :p :

Beckham is reported to be pulling in 55 million a year. It has not been officially stated at that sum anywhere, and probably won't be. It's just the rumoured wage.

GayParis
12th January 2007, 20:32
Hey Ya'll. My boys and I bought our season packages yesterday. Can't wait to see my boy Beckham. mmmmmmmm..... :)

GayParis
12th January 2007, 20:35
I heard on CBC radio just this morning that former Dutch international Edgar Davids is talking with FC Dallas of the MLS. I'm not sure how truthful and accurate that report was but it would be another high-profile player coming over to play in North America.

Sirius

With the new financial freedoms allowed to MLS teams, they may be able to bring bigger names into the league (ex. Beckham). If they could land a Davids, that would big huge.

Sarah
12th January 2007, 20:56
In the Daily Express today is says Simon Fuller secured the deal. Becks gets guaranteed £40m over 5 years plus bonuses. THEN there is the cut from every extra fan who pays to watch his club, advertising, TV rights, shirt sponsorship and all commercial deals. He will also get a slice from MLS and if his team can attract big name friendlies he will receive a cut regarding those games too. Anything that can be genuinely attributed to his arrival he will receive a percentage.

Also says New York Red Bulls looking at bringing in a Real Madrid player possibly Ronaldo.

SEAN-B.
12th January 2007, 20:56
Nice.I think I'll catch me a soccer game this year,then.Probably in San Jose when they play against the Galaxy.

SEAN-B.
12th January 2007, 20:59

So true,sotrue!HaHa!! :p

Davedigler2004
12th January 2007, 21:34
[quote="FrankenSchwinn"]LA Galaxy? what a cheesy name.....

QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more. Sounds like an Arena football team.

Because of the signing they are definitely changin the logo and possibly the team name before the season.

stevie_gerrard
12th January 2007, 22:07
Oh, i didnt see this thread.... :p :

Personally, its probably the right move for the Beckhams, but i don't think we will see ever the amazing football he has played ofr Man Utd or Real Madrid (in bits :p : )

I still think he is quite greedy :p :

raikk
12th January 2007, 22:19
I am shocked at the move :s ... I can seee why he wants to promote the game of soccer in LA but he still has some good years in him!I would of thought that he would of done this type of thing when his best days were already behind! Very suprising move... H'es deffinetly trying to pull a gretzky in LA

ian959
13th January 2007, 04:48
The only good thing to come out of this is the fun to be had as Z-list Posh embarrasses herself as an A-list wannabe... it was bad enough in Spain at times, let alone Hollywood.

oily oaf
13th January 2007, 06:10
It seems to have become something of national sport (especially amongst those who don’t actually watch football) to criticise Beckham, and to suggest that he was never much cop. I’d say he was possibly the greatest crosser of the ball of his generation. He wasn’t too shabby with his long range shooting either, and was an inspirational force in the England team. As for his personality, I know a few people in the game and nobody has a bad word to say about him. If he signed for Liverpool tomorrow, I’d be a happy man, but as it is we probably couldn’t afford his wages!

Hah!
I was hoping he'd start turning out for The Hammers (the blessings of Dot Cotton be upon them) but apparently we couldn't afford his hairdressers bill :(

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 08:18
I think it Posh being in Hollywood might have a side benefit, maybe she will hang out at the Playboy mansion and get an invite to show us the goods!!!

Hazell B
13th January 2007, 15:08
That's already been reported. She's been invited to pose at the mansion and I fully expect her to refuse. She's a bikini girl, no more.

viper_man
13th January 2007, 16:06
Oh dear oh dear, it seems in all the furore over money and all the rest of it, someone has forgot to ask Mr Capello how he feels about it all. Pretty ****ed off as it happens: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6259063.stm

AndyRAC
13th January 2007, 18:06
If he really wanted to promote the game in USA why not choose one of the other teams, e.g Houston or Kansas City. What a surprise he chose LA, were all the glamour is. How shallow are the pair of them? He's never been that good anyway, style over substance.

Bezza
13th January 2007, 18:55
My two-pennysworth...

Beckham - over-rated, overpaid, outdated and out of touch. That sums his career up.

Footballing Pro's - Freekick ability, crossing, long passing.
Footballing Con's - Can't tackle, one-footed, can't head the ball, slow.

That is not the hallmark of a great player, merely a good one.

At Man Utd, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes were better footballers.

For England is where his overblown status was achieved. One freekick (the 8th of the game) in the last minute of a Qualifier against a poor Greek team (and then if Germany had beaten Finland it wouldn't have mattered anyway!).

Since then, HYPE. Flopped in 2002 when he wasn't fully fit, the media forced him to be picked, Eriksson was too soft to say no, and Beckham jumps out of tackles against Brazil allowing them to score. Flopped in 2006, consistenly slow and lacking in leadership skills. He never should have been captain.

And now, I'm not surprised - he has always loved the limelight. One person has loved it more though - Victoria - who has no talent whatsoever. Good luck America you will get pissed off with this corporate crap very quickly especially from Victoria "Common Spice" Beckham.

Bye bye David, go and schmooze with that shirtlifter out of Top Gun.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 19:20
Well, the Americans are actually paying some attention to it, so at least part of the ridiculous sum of cash that they are giving this guy is being given some value.

Think about it, 55 million dollars a year in a league that you can pick up a franchise for 10 million if you have a place to play lined up. The top salary with the salary cap is usually around a million. Factor in the average attendance is 20,000 and the majority of the stadiums are 25,000 to 30,000 seat soccer only stadiums. The whole business plan was to build a solid league with decent economics, a salary cap, and give American and to a lesser extent Canadian players a place to play.

Now they bring over the slow, well dressed guy with a talent for kicking the ball and pay him more than 5 franchises are worth. None of this makes sense, but then again, that is why I am a poor guy fighting to pay my mortgage while the Holllywood types pay poseurs 55 mill.....

Gannex
13th January 2007, 19:43
Well, the Americans are actually paying some attention to it, so at least part of the ridiculous sum of cash that they are giving this guy is being given some value...
There was an article in the paper today which said that Beckham's high salary is a testament to the growing power and wealth of Hispanics in the US, because in that country, the soccer audience is almost entirely Hispanic.

jso1985
13th January 2007, 20:03
There was an article in the paper today which said that Beckham's high salary is a testament to the growing power and wealth of Hispanics in the US, because in that country, the soccer audience is almost entirely Hispanic.

Not sure if the Hispanic community has much to do with the salary, yes you're right the soccer audience in the US is mostly Hispanic, but I think Beckham's move is to atract "white" audience, Beckham ain't a superstar in LatinAmerica, Hispanics would have prefered Ronaldo, Riquelme, Blanco or Tevez.
Anyway the move kinda surprised me , I thought Beckham still had talent for playing in top leagues at least for another 2 years, The MLS might be improving its quality, but they'r still far from even dreaming to beat the Mexican teams.
but hail to MLS legend Marco Etcheverry :s mokin:

Hazell B
13th January 2007, 20:26
I think Beckham's move is to atract "white" audience ..... Hispanics would have prefered Ronaldo .....

If it's the Ronaldo I'm thinking of, white women might have prefered him too! :facelick:
Beckham's too female looking for a lot of us :p :

viper_man
13th January 2007, 20:39
If it's the Ronaldo I'm thinking of, white women might have prefered him too! :facelick:
Beckham's too female looking for a lot of us :p :

Nah, I think hes on about the fat one

Hazell B
13th January 2007, 20:44
Monkey Boy? Yukky :s

viper_man
13th January 2007, 21:00
Monkey Boy? Yukky :s

:laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2007, 05:59
Beckham going to LA is an attempt to bring glamour into the MLS, and no other superstar going past his prime was available or interested. Lets face it, Victoria is the one pushing this move. Beckham wants to keep the little woman happy I guess, so instead of the Beverly Hillbillies, we have the Beverly Hill Beckhams....

Bezza
14th January 2007, 15:59
The quality of football in the MLS is on a par with Doncaster against Oldham in England. THAT is why it won't make much difference beyond the first six months of hype or so.

Ian McC
14th January 2007, 17:08
Beverly Hill Beckhams....

Oh my God you can see that one turning up on MTV :s

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2007, 17:44
Bezza, the thing is, most Americans don't know how bad Doncaster and Oldham are, and wouldn't care, but they know Beckham was/is a star, so they will give Soccer a look. Of course, 18 years ago, Wayne Gretzky went to LA in the height of his career to establish a solid base for hockey in the US. Well, hockey is all over the place in the US, and half the franchises still cant draw anything close to a profitable crowd a lot of nights. Americans like what they like, and I suspect Soccer, like my beloved hockey are not sports they get too bent out of shape for.

Hazell B
14th January 2007, 18:01
... par with Doncaster ....

Who's a clever pun boy, then? Or a lucky one ;)

John Parr (a local lad, and mildly well known singer) has just written Doncaster's new theme song for their new ground. For those under 30, John Parr's the dad of the male stripper in Hollyoakes. The words par and Doncaster are everywhere in the same breath here at the moment :mark:

BDunnell
14th January 2007, 19:43
Bye bye David, go and schmooze with that shirtlifter out of Top Gun.

There's nothing like a bit of casual homophobia to complete a post, is there?

viper_man
14th January 2007, 19:47
Bezza, the thing is, most Americans don't know how bad Doncaster and Oldham are, and wouldn't care, but they know Beckham was/is a star, so they will give Soccer a look.

I would diasgree to some extent. Whilst American soccer fans dont know of Doncaster or Oldham, they will know the gulf between the highest level of European football and the MLS. So those who are proper MLS fans will know what a major coup this is