PDA

View Full Version : Sordo with 5 minute penalty start in Sweden.

A.F.F.
2nd February 2008, 16:14
According to AS-magazine, Sordo engine has to be chaged after Monte retirement. Therefore Sordo has 5 minute time penalty before the start.
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2008/02/607009

Not a happy year -08 :mark: However, Sordo hardly was a winning favourite in Sweden but now the road is desperately rocky for a good position. And Ford celebrates.

Shrike
2nd February 2008, 16:19
Thats too bad. Sordo has some bad luck.

Mirek
2nd February 2008, 16:20
Realy shame for Dani :(

alleskids
2nd February 2008, 16:33
Nore reason to nominate Aava for Sweden :) .

SubaruNorway
2nd February 2008, 16:41
Why didn't they retire him from Monte, then he woulden't have got the penalty, right?

ProRally
2nd February 2008, 16:50
Why didn't they retire him from Monte, then he woulden't have got the penalty, right?

Correct, if you retire you can do engine change...
Bit of mystery why they continued

Lousada
2nd February 2008, 17:08
Well if you remember how incredibly poor he was last year in the snow, these 5 minutes won't make a difference. What I can't understand is why they don't nominate another driver for this rally.

Langdale Forest
2nd February 2008, 17:16
For some reason Sordo seems to get all of the mechanical problems for Citroen.

Roy
2nd February 2008, 17:19
The engine was crashed all ready. Can they change a new engine for Sweden if it was broken allready without penalty?
Like gardemeiste/Suzuki did. Not yet broken, but quit him, for better result in Sweden
Don't forget: Sordo helps Citroen in Monte at 1 point. He do that not in Sweden.

Fischer
2nd February 2008, 17:28
Did Loeb get a super C4 and Sordo the normal C4, because Loeb somehow almost never has problems with his car.

Jaanus
2nd February 2008, 17:38
Actually the 5 minute penalty is given to the second Citroen team nominated driver not Sordo as a person. Whoever Citroen would have chosen to drive the second nominated car would have got the penalty. It just happens that Sordo was chosen to drive the second nominated car in Sweden. If they had nominated Aava then he would start with 5 minute penalty.

Woodeye
2nd February 2008, 18:06
Interesting news.

..but there goes my pickems... :(

DonJippo
2nd February 2008, 18:11
Interesting news.

..but there goes my pickems... :(

You can always change your pickems before deadline.

jparker
2nd February 2008, 18:53
... What I can't understand is why they don't nominate another driver for this rally.

The nomination deadline (3 weeks before an event) expired before Monte, so it's too late now. Of course, as Jaanus noted, that wouldn't matter even if it was possible.

janneppi
2nd February 2008, 19:04
You can always change your pickems before deadline.
I changed mine already this morning. :)

Koppomsbo
2nd February 2008, 20:07
Actually the 5 minute penalty is given to the second Citroen team nominated driver not Sordo as a person. Whoever Citroen would have chosen to drive the second nominated car would have got the penalty. It just happens that Sordo was chosen to drive the second nominated car in Sweden. If they had nominated Aava then he would start with 5 minute penalty.

hmm intresting, that was new to me :)

Tom206wrc
2nd February 2008, 20:14
Real pitty for Sordo :mark:

N.O.T
2nd February 2008, 20:17
He can still get points for the manufacturer 5 minutes is not that bad with the current situation in the WRC.

Koppomsbo
2nd February 2008, 20:27
5 min after would have given him an 6th place in Monte ;)

Helstar
2nd February 2008, 20:30
For some reason Sordo seems to get all of the mechanical problems for Citroen.
I was thinking about this too... maybe Sordo is more 'aggressive' with the use of the throttle and stuff ;p ?

DonJippo
2nd February 2008, 22:08
5 min after would have given him an 6th place in Monte ;)

Plus another ten minutes that he will lose on stages...

Roy
2nd February 2008, 23:53
The engine was crashed all ready. Can they change a new engine for Sweden if it was broken allready without penalty?
Like gardemeiste/Suzuki did. Not yet broken, but quit him, for better result in Sweden
Don't forget: Sordo helps Citroen in Monte at 1 point. He do that not in Sweden.

this text is wrong english :\ When I read back, I thought I can't understand my own text. :down:

Again.
Case: Sordo has a engine failure. He didn't changed the engine in Monte and didn't restart. What happened? He gets his 5 min. penalty in this case too? I think it is. His engine was broken already.
It is different in Gardemeister case. His engine was not broken yet. Toni can better stop and go with a new engine in Sweden, where he can score some points.

Sordo goes further and scores a point for Citroen in Monte. Very clever. In Sweden would be difficult. With or no 5 min penalty.

My question in brief: Was it possible for Sordo/Citroen to avoid the penalty if the team retire him from rally?

jparker
3rd February 2008, 03:07
My question in brief: Was it possible for Sordo/Citroen to avoid the penalty if the team retire him from rally?

The answer is yes.

If the car finishes the first and/or second Rally of a
Link (thus appearing in the final classification) and the
seals are found to be destroyed before the second or
third Rally of the Link (except for a change of oil pan),
a 5-minute penalty may be imposed by the stewards
at the next Rally. I'm not sure if I have understood the rules correctly, but I'll give it a try.
It looks like the rules for engine replacement have changed for 2008.
One of them is the links (number of events run with same engine). Last year the links were defined by FIA.
Not anymore. This year it's up to Manifacturer to decide how to link same engine to what events.
They have limit of 5 engines, so they can link them the way they want, but that has to be decided and submitted
to FIA prior their first event for 2008. For example, it's possible for a Manufacturer to use the same engine
in 8 linked events, and then use new engine for each of the remaining 4 events.

About Sordo's case.

Based on the above and the fact that Sordo is getting 5 min penalty, we learn the following.

1. Citroen have linked Monte and Sweden.
2. They didn't retire the car in Monte, so they have to use the same engine in Sweden, or get 5 min penalty and use new engine.

Based on the above here are my 3 guesses about Citroen's decision.

1. After inspecting the engine Citroen decided that the engine is good for the last day of Monte and Sweden. Later on they found that the engine is no good for Sweden, so 5 min penalty is inevitable.

2. Citroen decided that 5 min penalty is not big deal, they have written Sordo off from Sweden anyway :)

3. Citroen screwed up in their decision

koko0703
3rd February 2008, 05:59
It's a pity for Sordo but as far as the rally goes, he won't be there anyway to challenge for the win in Sweden regardless of the penalty. But of course, it may hurt Citroen later in the manufacturer championship.

A.F.F.
3rd February 2008, 07:07
Based on the above here are my 3 guesses about Citroen's decision.

1. After inspecting the engine Citroen decided that the engine is good for the last day of Monte and Sweden. Later on they found that the engine is no good for Sweden, so 5 min penalty is inevitable.

2. Citroen decided that 5 min penalty is not big deal, they have written Sordo off from Sweden anyway :)

3. Citroen screwed up in their decision

Options 1. and 3. are linked ;) I'm betting either one of them.

cut the b.s.
3rd February 2008, 10:30
Its a shame for Dani, but its maybe not that bad a thing for him, he now has no pressure at all on him for this event and can just go drive the event.
I think people are underrating him away from tar surfaces and while I dont expect him to win on gravel or snow this year I think he will surprise some people over the season with his pace, he is a thinking driver and it will come good for him

COD
3rd February 2008, 15:04
Or could it be that Citroen thought Sordo had better chance of scoring points in MC tahn SWE?

Also could it be that Citroen test new parts in Sordos car and plays it safe with Loeb???

Motorsportfun
3rd February 2008, 15:20
It's a shame for Dani! :(

PuddleJumper
3rd February 2008, 15:56
I think Citroën made the right choice. Sordo scored 1 point for them in Monte Carlo. Even without the 5 minute penalty in Sweden, I don't think he'd be able to score any more.