PDA

View Full Version : Kimi to quit F1? after Ferrari contract ends

CNR
27th January 2008, 05:28
Kimi to quit F1?
http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/NewsPics/0,,1369-1375_2258424,00.html

2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen suspects that he will never again be a feature of the F1 driver market.

i think you will see 1 or 2 contract extensions.

Cozzie
27th January 2008, 07:02
Perhaps he is just so happy at Ferrari and the way the team is built around him that he never intends on racing for anyone else. Remind you of anyone? ;)

I don't really see Kimi as the Schumi-type who will hang around until he is nearly forty, he is not interested in records so why would he feel the need? Alonso is the same type of person but IMO Lewis will be different.

Ranger
27th January 2008, 08:41
Perhaps he is just so happy at Ferrari and the way the team is built around him that he never intends on racing for anyone else. Remind you of anyone? ;)

I don't really see Kimi as the Schumi-type who will hang around until he is nearly forty, he is not interested in records so why would he feel the need?
That's it, pretty much. He's already very wealthy and a world champion so you could understand it. I doubt he'll retire at the end of '09 though.

Juppe
27th January 2008, 10:32
Another twist to this conversation is that Kimi recently said that he would like to have kids, but not as long as he is driving in F1, because he wouldn't have the time to concentrate on his family.

Now Kimi's wife (Jenni Dahlman-Räikkönen) will be 27 this year - even though many women have their first kid quite late it is not usually a wise thing to postpone. However, I have no idea, if Jenni shares Kimi's idea of having kids.

My point is though, that this might be a factor, when Kimi thinks about his future in F1.

leopard
28th January 2008, 02:52
Kimi is not Danica Patrick, being F1 driver wouldn't prevent him from having children, imo.

Tazio
28th January 2008, 04:27
What ever!

leopard
28th January 2008, 06:20
agree?

Juppe
28th January 2008, 08:02
Kimi is not Danica Patrick, being F1 driver wouldn't prevent him from having children, imo.

Yes, but your opinion does not count, Kimi's does. If he feels he should quit F1, before becoming father, then he will. Its his choice.

leopard
28th January 2008, 08:39
Yes, but your opinion does not count, Kimi's does. If he feels he should quit F1, before becoming father, then he will. Its his choice.
Alright... :)

I only see that drivers have to stop racing before becoming father while they are productive sounds like melancolic-plegmatic as opposed to sanguine-choleric characteristic to enable driver produce more speed at the race. However it's about choice.

I am afraid the motive is not differ to the predecessor's

markabilly
28th January 2008, 13:14
It would give Kimi a weight advantage...... I can just see her about 8 months down the road, being strapped into the car......wonder where they would put the driver wheel....

keysersoze
28th January 2008, 13:18
Cossie said:

[I don't really see Kimi as the Schumi-type who will hang around until he is nearly forty, he is not interested in records so why would he feel the need? Alonso is the same type of person but IMO Lewis will be different.

I'm inclined to think that the main reason most drivers don't make it to forty is because they are forced into F1 retirement. After all, I'd say the overwhelming majority of racers still race, typically trickling into sports cars.]

I'm no MS fan, but the guy clearly loves to drive, he loved the TEAMWORK, and he truly ENJOYED his wins. Sure records are important, especially if you are capable of breaking them, but I see this as a bit further down on his priority list.

Unless he, 1) loses his competitive edge, or 2) his mind starts to drift, for Kimi to retire within two years would be, IMO, a loss.

leopard
29th January 2008, 02:41
It would give Kimi a weight advantage...... I can just see her about 8 months down the road, being strapped into the car......wonder where they would put the driver wheel....
Life is a choice, I'd always prefer my opposite.

dime3
29th January 2008, 16:00
Kimi has said in the past that he’d quit after winning one world championship.
That opinion may change if he gets on with his Ferrari crew. But lets face it he’s a racer at heart and F1 is a bag of politics.

Juppe
29th January 2008, 16:34
That opinion may change if he gets on with his Ferrari crew. But lets face it he’s a racer at heart and F1 is a bag of politics.

I don't remember him saying anything like that, which does not mean that he has not said it, but link would be nice...

I think he may have said that it would nice to win at least one WDC before ending his career, which is quite different.

Dave B
29th January 2008, 16:41
I'd love to know what really makes Kimi tick. To the outside world he often gives the impression of not giving a toss about F1, but clearly if that were true he never would have achieved a fraction of what he has. Maybe one day he'll write a book....

ioan
29th January 2008, 16:46
Maybe one day he'll write a book....

That would be a nicely and richly illustrated book, with some succinct and very plastic explanations! :D ;)

Bagwan
29th January 2008, 17:32
Wanted :
Position available for Finnish/English speaking author . Must be able to interpret faint body language , and construct paragraphs from monosyllabic answers . Dry sense of humour an asset . Tolerance for Finlandia also an asset .
Those wishing to apply are asked to send resumes with references to :

Kimi
Ferrari , yes I think so .
Italy .

akv89
30th January 2008, 06:00
Perhaps these two articles can explain the comment posted in the first post:

Kimi: Ferrari will be my last team
Friday 25th January 2008

Kimi Raikkonen plans to end his Formula One career with Ferrari, although that doesn't mean it will necessarily be when his current deal expires.

The reigning F1 World Champion still has two years to go on his Ferrari contract, and already the team has expressed an interest in extending it.

But while talks have yet to get underway, it appears Ferrari have nothing to worry about as Raikkonen has no intension of leaving the team.

"I do not see any reason to leave here," he told Spanish daily Marca.

"I still have two years left of my contract, but in any case I believe that whatever happens this will be my last team."

As for what he wants do when he does opt to leave Ferrari and F1, the Finn siad: "I would like to maybe compete in a few rallies, or something like that."

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3077718,00.html

Kimi warns rivals: I want more
Monday 28th January 2008

Kimi Raikkonen has warned his rivals not to expect him to take it easy this season, saying he won't be content with just one World title.

The Ferrari driver is the reigning F1 World Champion having clinched the Drivers' title at last year's season-ending Brazilian GP.

But while some may be hoping that his victory will mean the Finn isn't as hungry for success this season, Raikkonen has warned them that he's as determined as ever before.

"One title is already better than nothing. But naturally I want more," he told the Bild. "Anyone who believes I am happy and content (with one title) is wrong.

"It won't be easy, but we start the season again with the goal of winning another Drivers' trophy.

"If we don't win it we will be disappointed, but I guarantee we will be strong."

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3083917,00.html

It doesn't seem like Kimi wants to retire next year. He wants to keep driving for Ferrari and is not satisfied with his WC title. However, if Ferrari chooses to opt for a different driver (which seems highly unlikely at this point), then that would mean the end of his F1 career.

wmcot
30th January 2008, 06:25
Kimi will leave when he's ready to leave. It's not really up to us!

Juppe
30th January 2008, 14:01

Obviously you were right, At least Peter Windsor says that Kimi told him a couple of years ago that he just wants to have one championship and then leave F1, because he loves driving, but hates everything else in F1.

So I guess, moving to Ferrari has changed his opinion at least somewhat, I think Ferrari gives him more freedom than McLaren did.

woody2goody
30th January 2008, 14:04
Just out of interest, would Kimi consider racing in a different series if he did quit F1?

Juppe
30th January 2008, 16:16
Just out of interest, would Kimi consider racing in a different series if he did quit F1?

I think he has said that he would like to try some rallying.

Until now he has participated in snowmobile races.

Garry Walker
31st January 2008, 08:52
Obviously you were right, At least Peter Windsor says that Kimi told him a couple of years ago that he just wants to have one championship and then leave F1, because he loves driving, but hates everything else in F1.

So I guess, moving to Ferrari has changed his opinion at least somewhat, I think Ferrari gives him more freedom than McLaren did.

Yes, it is obvious he is a changed man at Ferrari. More open and happy. It shows how Rons management tactics worked with Kimi.
For a Ferrari fan, that is always good to see.