PDA

View Full Version : JML vs Gigi?

DonJippo
26th January 2008, 16:43
Before Monte I was more than confident JML will end up higher on driver's points than his successor in Stobart. But to my surprise it looks like Gigi is using his head this time and JML is making mistakes that I thought he would not do anymore so this may turn out to be a close fight :D

My money is still on JML but how about you? What do you think? JML or Gigi?

Tomi
26th January 2008, 17:51
My money is n JML too, but Gaalli is doing a good job now in monte.

Brother John
26th January 2008, 17:59
Like i told before, J-M must think about his driving style with the new Pirelli tyres!
I want to see the next results from Galli and J-M L. before i put my money on one of this drivers. ;)

A.F.F.
26th January 2008, 18:28
Good and interesting question.

One thing, especially us, Finns, must bare in mind is that Monte is a tricky rally. Without snow, damp and icy tarmac it can be very difficult. Change to new tyres and whole lot of responsibility and expectations, there's a lot on young Latvala's shoulders now.

I personally think he makes a storm in water glass. Being easier to himself, I think he could deal the pressure easier too. However, I trust when/if the caravan gets on snow, to more familiar surface, we'll see a reborn Latvala :up:

Galli drove smart, threw funny comments after every stage and did everything like a professional should.... therefore was a small disappointment to me :) Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing. I just expected totally different Galli.

But Galli is a brilliant meter to Latvala. Quite similar style in a remote oddly way ;)

GigiGalliNo1
27th January 2008, 02:05
No, Galli!

pino
27th January 2008, 07:00
poll added and eventhough I have a great ammiration/respect for JML, I am confident that Gigi will surprise everyone, and I will end ahead of him. And will get a payed-dinner back from Don Jippo :p :

leno
27th January 2008, 08:14
I m on JML side

GigiGalliNo1
27th January 2008, 09:30
wat?! there'S a poll?

Donney
27th January 2008, 09:54
I think LAtvala will finish ahead, he is young and learning fast and probably by this timre he has already realised that this year cutting corners is not the best of ideas.

tmx
27th January 2008, 09:55
my money is on the factory driver who gets to do the testing before the rallies.

Viking
27th January 2008, 10:05
my money is on the factory driver who gets to do the testing before the rallies.

Mine also.

WRCfan
27th January 2008, 11:26
I am putting my money on Jari matti Latvala. Simply because he has shown awesome pace last year, im sure the ice and snow of Monte is not his favourite as he was new to the tarmac scene last year and said he was just steadily trying to pick up his pace.

Put GG and JML on gravel and I think we will see a different story. GG however is very quick all round although JML I think will be going quicker throughout the year.

He just said now it's all about right experiences and wrong experience and learning where to go with them...he is young so he has ambition and raw speed, although for his age he is a very level headed driver and no doubt a future world champion...

mdesign
27th January 2008, 11:48
I've voted for JML although I'm disappointed with his monte carlo. I believe that across the season, in case of direct competition between both, malcon will put orders to gigi let latvala get more points for Ford.

Larry_Japan
27th January 2008, 13:18
Galli. Every time. JML will be great in 2, maybe 3 years time... but considering the results GG delivered in Mitsubishis, 307s etc, GG's speed and experience is ready to deliver drivers points now.

GigiGalliNo1
27th January 2008, 13:21
poo you wrcFan

WRCfan
27th January 2008, 13:28
Haha, poo you too Mr Paparazzi.

There is only one way to settle this, arm wrestling MR PAPARAZZI!

GigiGalliNo1
27th January 2008, 13:37
bahahha

L5->R5/CR
27th January 2008, 15:41
Galli. Every time. JML will be great in 2, maybe 3 years time... but considering the results GG delivered in Mitsubishis, 307s etc, GG's speed and experience is ready to deliver drivers points now.

I think the underlying point might be that Gigi is as fast as he will ever be. He will likely drive smarter, and finish more consistent in the final years of his WRC career but he will not be getting any faster.

JML is still young, still getting faster, and still maturing. While Gigi will be making the most of what he has JML still have the potential to be finding more for himself. If Malcom's firm hand has a similar effect on JML as it did on Mikko (consistency wise) then I think JML will score more points as he learns to be fast and finish.

The question will be to see how JML copes with the pressure of expectations when he gets to events/surfaces where he has enough experience that there are no acceptable excuses (I fear JML will have a lot of punctures this year which may end up having a really negative impact on his concentration).

JAM
27th January 2008, 17:27
Let's wait for Mexico and we will make a better avaliation. Monte Carlo and Sweden are tow very particular events.

Langdale Forest
27th January 2008, 19:22
Probably Latvala if he does not keep crashing or have problems.

GigiGalliNo1
28th January 2008, 02:57
hrmm... tricky one with Mexico..... i'm uncertain which will perform better!

Also I think Gigi will do a good job Sweden! :D

KubaRally2
28th January 2008, 20:35
i agree with you.
GG rocks on snow!!

dimviii
29th January 2008, 18:17
gigi for sweden :p

jens
29th January 2008, 19:15
Both have been prone to driver errors, but I guess JML as a works driver will come out on top.

GigiGalliNo1
30th January 2008, 13:22
i agree with you.
GG rocks on snow!!

Hey Kuba!!

Same with me !

kleisj
31st January 2008, 12:18
If Galli feels comfortable with the car I think that we may see very good and competitive stage times.
I would dare say that if things works right for him he is capable to be really fast, enough to go head to head with the two Ford works drivers. (Ofcourse if the Stobart isnt much more inferior of the works one. Is it?)
Only time will tell.

Helstar
1st February 2008, 04:27
It's hard to say, Montecarlo and Sweden are really 'different' from the other 13 rallies.
We have seen Latvala already doing errors which are his trademark until now, but I think he will improve in that, he's only 22 years old, we can't go wrong ! Depends if in 1 year, 2 or (let's hope not) more. He will win if he can stay on road already this year like in Ireland 2007. He got the works car plus I think Malcolm won't allow a battle between them (if any) and let JML take the better position.

Seeing Gigi live was like he was... developing in the Ford... he seemed veeeery cautious in the passages, one time he was kinda "cruising" (later I knew that he had a broken driveshaft), I think he wanted to learn the car and mostly finish this rally because in the past he always crashed here. Probably on Sweden he will push like in the last 3 years.
I'm curious to see what will happen in gravel rallies between Ford drivers !
It's so exciting this year eh ? LOL

WRCfan
5th February 2008, 07:20
If GG is confident in the car I think we can expect a very good rally from him. Jari Matti should be quite quick with a clean run as Finn's are no strangers to driving in the snow.

Will be interesting, all depends whether or not the two drivers make errors or have malfunctions with their cars, manfunctions not being overly likely as the Ford's are very reliable.

Could go either way!

Zico
11th February 2008, 19:07
After his performance in Sweden and the fact that he will get more testing than GG I think JML is the obvious choice. No disrespect to Gigi of course..

Tomi
12th February 2008, 17:54
I have a feeling that this tread was just a way for DJ to get a free dinner, but I belive too that JM will end up higher in points.
But Gaalli i belive will drive circles around the "expert" and the ice cream delivery boys, and i guess sordo too.

DonJippo
12th February 2008, 20:56
I have a feeling that this tread was just a way for DJ to get a free dinner,

What makes you think so http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/innocent/innocent0009.gif :D

Tomi
12th February 2008, 21:08
What makes you think so http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/innocent/innocent0009.gif :D

Just a feeling some Italian might make a bet. :)

pino
12th February 2008, 21:13
Just a feeling some Italian might make a bet. :)

The bet was already made before Don started this thread ;)

Tomi
12th February 2008, 21:16
The bet was already made before Don started this thread ;)
Ahaa ok, have you btw thanked DJ that he made it possible for galli to get the seat this year?

pino
12th February 2008, 21:31
Ahaa ok, have you btw thanked DJ that he made it possible for galli to get the seat this year?

I haven't and will never do :p :