PDA

View Full Version : Robby Gordon News

Sparky1329
26th January 2008, 04:58
Robby is competing in the Laughlin Desert Challenge this weekend. Last night's activities featured the Laughlin Leap which will be self-explanatory when you watch the video. Robby won the big truck competition with a 152 foot, 2 inch jump. The first video is of Robby's jump. Gas on!

http://www.dirtnewz.com/events-08/laughlin/leap.shtml

RaceFanStan
29th January 2008, 03:03
Robby Gordon appears to really like "doing it in the dirt" ... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

Sparky1329
29th January 2008, 04:42
Yeah he does. :D :up: He DNFed on Saturday with a transmission failure. http://www.boomspeed.com/rockysmom/smileygaah.gif

Jonesi
1st February 2008, 22:21
http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=40114

Nick Brad
2nd February 2008, 00:05
Good for him, a positive move for him IMO.

muggle not
2nd February 2008, 00:43
I am sorry to see him leave Ford but it looks like a good move on his part. Good luck Robby.

BobbyC
2nd February 2008, 04:14
Robby had to make the move, IMO, because Ford has become a single-car operation in Roush. Every Ford team would essentially have Roush cars, engines, everything.

No innovation allowed.

Sparky1329
2nd February 2008, 06:26
If I had to choose between GEM and the Rat in the Hat I would've done exactly what Robby did. His pre-season testing results probably sealed the deal.

BobbyC
2nd February 2008, 13:28
To Dodge with some Habs helping (GEM).

tassiedevilAB
9th February 2008, 12:42
Looks like a good move robby has made , yep he is in the poo for a nose job, doesn't the fines go to a nascar charity

dodge must have given him a dodgy nose lol

Sparky1329
9th February 2008, 22:20
Dodge didn't. GEM did. Somebody at GEM needs to lose their job.

e2mtt
18th February 2008, 04:29
Well, so far looks like the move to Dodge has paid off quite well. 8th at Daytona.

Sparky1329
18th February 2008, 05:07
Dodge didn't. GEM did. Somebody at GEM needs to lose their job.

I have to correct this information. Robby stated that the noses they installed on their cars came directly from Dodge. I hope the penalties to Robby won't be too severe.

Nick Brad
18th February 2008, 12:31
Robby Gorden getting treated harshly by NASCAR? What are you thinking, that'll never happen. ;)

JovialJooles
18th February 2008, 13:14
Good show by Robby last night! Too early to tell if this is a taste of things to come, but he must be really pleased with where he is at.

Sparky1329
18th February 2008, 20:47
Robby Gorden getting treated harshly by NASCAR? What are you thinking, that'll never happen. ;)

NASCAR has a special rule book just for Robby. He knows their rules more thoroughly than they do so he gets special treatment. :)

harvick#1
19th February 2008, 19:25
got that right, for some reason, they make Robby as the example.

guess Nascar doesn't want a single car team to show some of the big teams whats up

Vez
20th February 2008, 22:02
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/20/daytona.penalties/index.html

Poor Robby, he did so well in the 500, just for this to happen.

muggle not
21st February 2008, 00:00
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/20/daytona.penalties/index.html

Poor Robby, he did so well in the 500, just for this to happen.
What a crock. Nascar should be ashamed of themselves.

e2mtt
21st February 2008, 02:18
That is insane.

There have been significantly less severe penalties for guys who WON RACES with un-approved parts.

Robby's problem (which doesn't sound like an attemped cheat based on what I've read.) was discovered before qualification. The team was already penalized by having to work extra hard to get things right before qualifing, and by losing test data.

Maybe an appeal will help things.

e2mtt
21st February 2008, 04:27
further note...

It seems wrong that Nascar fines & penalizes so heavily for pre-event problems. I can understand fines & penalties for actually qualifying & racing with trick parts, but it seems like if the problem is caught and remidied before qualifying, the consequences should be minimal.

Sparky1329
21st February 2008, 06:29
Once again NASCAR pushed the F--- Robby button. He's appealing but that's like spitting in the wind.

Robby Gordon Comments on NASCAR's Penalty

This was an innocent mistake made by someone not even on my team. They accidentally supplied us the new Dodge noses that NASCAR hasn't yet approved because of what amounted to a clerical error. It was discovered during technical inspection and corrected before the race. It was not even close to being an intent to create some competitive advantage, and the mistake was not even made by my team. This penalty is way out of proportion when you compare it what happened last year when a team was penalized 100 points for adding a substance to the fuel, or when a team deliberately changed the bodies of the COT. To penalize my team the same amount when we didn't even make the mistake, and the mistake was nothing more than inadvertent human error by someone else is just not fair. Other teams who have had similar issues to what happened with the nose on my car were only penalized 25 points.

I hope that NASCAR can reconsider when they have all the facts. In the meantime, we have no choice but to appeal this penalty. We started the season off on a high note with a top 10 finish at Daytona and we look forward to continuing that at California and Las Vegas.

harvick#1
21st February 2008, 07:17
what a crock of ****.

nascar just has to make Robby and his single car team an example

JovialJooles
21st February 2008, 11:19
:confused: How on earth can NASCAR justify this?

What a joke...

Has Max Mosley joined NASCAR. :p

muggle not
21st February 2008, 15:49
I will go with Robby on this one. Nascar has made themselves look like an azz. The penalty was not even close to being fair. It is these type of decisions that are upsetting fans with Nascar. Jr can't bring all the fans back by himself, Nascar has to do a "little".

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
21st February 2008, 16:14
Dodge needs to step in here and Publicly support Robby.

Sparky1329
21st February 2008, 21:46
Dodge needs to step in here and Publicly support Robby.

Do we know that they haven't? I haven't heard. I did hear that Ray E said the noses didn't come from GEM. On SPEED channel last week Robby said it was a Dodge error.

Nick Brad
21st February 2008, 23:23
What a load of bull this whole thing is, the whole point of tech inspections at the start of any event is that the cars go through, are inspected and if there are any issues, they're sent back out to sort them. Then they come back through tech to be checked and if all is well, they're given a pass sticker to be eligible for the event. You don't give out stupid penalties like this. Give me a direct line to NASCAR and i'll tell them exactly what I think of them.

This just re-enforces my belief that american motorsports are being run by power crazed morons.

Jonesi
22nd February 2008, 01:32
Marty Smith on NascarNow reported that Robby Gordon talked to Nascar officials who urged him to appeal the penalty.

Sparky1329
22nd February 2008, 04:36
Marty Smith on NascarNow reported that Robby Gordon talked to Nascar officials who urged him to appeal the penalty.

How weird is that? Oy.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
22nd February 2008, 10:49
What a load of bull this whole thing is, the whole point of tech inspections at the start of any event is that the cars go through, are inspected and if there are any issues, they're sent back out to sort them. Then they come back through tech to be checked and if all is well, they're given a pass sticker to be eligible for the event. You don't give out stupid penalties like this. Give me a direct line to NASCAR and i'll tell them exactly what I think of them.

I think NASCAR is trying to get the point accross "dont f**k with these cars". If there were no penalties people would be trying to sneak things through left,right and center. Why not give it a go if theres no repercussions?.

JovialJooles
22nd February 2008, 11:13
Surely the point of Tech inspection is to find any irregularities and not to pass the car until it is acceptable.

You don't fine a car at Tech inspection. You fine a car at post race inspection...

This is just plain stupid. NASCAR look like a bunch of idiotic morons.

Of course, all this is doing is penalising the smaller teams and the one car teams as they are more likely to make small mistakes.

RaceFanStan
22nd February 2008, 13:52
What I find so irritating is that it was the 1st race that Robby Gordon used a Dodge.
Robby Gordon is getting help from Evernham & Dodge, he isn't doing it all alone,
someone supplied the nose to Robby & the blame lies with them IMO. :s

Lee Roy
22nd February 2008, 13:57
What I find so irritating is that it was the 1st race that Robby Gordon used a Dodge.
Robby Gordon is getting help from Evernham & Dodge, he isn't doing it all alone,
someone supplied the nose to Robby & the blame lies with them IMO. :s

Robby is the car owner and is ultimately responsible. He knew that the nose didn't quite "look" like the other Dodge noses. He could have asked. He didn't.

And he isn't the first one to get slammed hard. Remember Junior getting the same kind of treatment/penalty last year when he had the wrong wing on the car?

cgs
22nd February 2008, 14:48
that penalty is far to harsh. if any penalty was given out at all then it should be only 25 owner/driver points and $25,000

what he's been given is the same as what michael waltrip got at daytona last year when there was some mystery subtance in the manifold! robbie's infraction is in no way on a par with that. essentialy, the only difference between the 2 noses is the indents in the fake grill area!

harvick#1
22nd February 2008, 16:00
Surely the point of Tech inspection is to find any irregularities and not to pass the car until it is acceptable.

You don't fine a car at Tech inspection. You fine a car at post race inspection...

This is just plain stupid. NASCAR look like a bunch of idiotic morons.

Of course, all this is doing is penalising the smaller teams and the one car teams as they are more likely to make small mistakes.

funny, they don't do it to Hendrick cars :rolleyes:

Sonoma rings a bell and they should've been kicked out for that.

and the Daytona of 06 when it looked like Nascar would finally lay down the law on Knaus, they didn't they didn't even take points away

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
22nd February 2008, 16:24
oh come on NASCAR has come down on hendrick with the same amount of force as everyone else. At Sonoma didnt NASCAR deduct points and a fine was issued when a problem was found?.

Lee Roy
22nd February 2008, 17:18
oh come on NASCAR has come down on hendrick with the same amount of force as everyone else. At Sonoma didnt NASCAR deduct points and a fine was issued when a problem was found?.

Don't confuse harvick#1 with facts. Last year NASCAR came down on Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Junior.

Robby was around last year to see what happened if you showed up with a COT out of whack. He should have asked them to take a look at the nose BEFORE inspection. It's a mistake he won't make again. And others will take note.

Sparky1329
22nd February 2008, 19:31

Yes. That was for an intentional manipulation of the COT body panels. Here are the penalties assesed at the same level as the current penalty for the #7 team and the infractions. Note that the final penalty for the #8 car was deemed by NASCAR to be intentional. NASCAR has not made the claim that having the wrong nose on the #7 car was intentional.

#55-Michael Waltrip Racing, Feb. 2007, Daytona, Fuel/Additive, David Hyder $100,000/100 Indefinite Suspension

#24-Jeff Gordon/Hendrick Motorsports, July 2007, Sonoma, Front Fender Manipulation, Steve Letarte, $100,000/100, 6 races

#48-Jimmie Johnson/Hendrick Motorsports, July 2007, Sonoma, Front Fender Manipulation, Chad Knaus, $100,000/100, 6 races

#2-Kurt Busch/Penske Racing, June 2007, Dover, Endangering crew member, Drivers $100,000, Team/Driver 100 pts

#8-Dale Earnhardt Inc. May 2007, Darlington, Rear Wing Brackets, Tony Eury Jr. $100,000/100, 6 events

harvick#1
22nd February 2008, 20:12
I foind funny how MW CC got an indefinite Suspension and Chad only got 6, given every year, he gets caught cheating.

and Busch's was not with Tech, thats was just him being an idiot.

I sure hope Robby wins the appeal but its very very unlikely, as Nascar doesn't overturn anything, but....

Jonesi
22nd February 2008, 23:11
I foind funny how MW CC got an indefinite Suspension and Chad only got 6, given every year, he gets caught cheating.

I sure hope Robby wins the appeal but its very very unlikely, as Nascar doesn't overturn anything, but....

The "indefinite Suspension" was probably because they wanted an admission of guilt. Chad Knaus has never denied what he did, just mantained that it wasn't prohibited by the rule book, so it was legal. (I tend to believe him, especially since Nascar won't let outsiders read the book.)

"Nascar doesn't overturn anything" I think it was Jayski that ran the statistics on this a few monthes ago. Something like 25% get reversed/reduced. Only down side to appealing is losing the fee, I don't think anyone has had the penalty increased in many years.

Based on what I've read of the situation, I could easily see a reasonable appeal board ruling: It was an unintentional mistake, helped by outside sources, BUT team owner and crew chief have to be responsible for the car they enter. Penalties reduced to $25k/25points/2week suspension/return appeal fee.

Sparky1329
22nd February 2008, 23:23
MWR is lucky their whole car wasn't sent home with the CC for that one, harv.

Jonesi
22nd February 2008, 23:38
"Rally for Robby"
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/22/rgordon.rally/index.html?eref=/rss/news/headlines/cup

Sparky1329
23rd February 2008, 02:32
Some new information from an RGM employee and posted at Robby's upRising. Now tell me about checking part numbers and the responsibility of the race team, etc.

"In the transformation from Avenger to Charger, Dodge is working on a replacement nose," Cup Series director John Darby said. "There's no difference, really, in the nose, other than the decal outlines that complement the Charger more than the Avenger. But the nose has not finished due process yet, so they had to put one of the old noses back on the car."
To this...

Sprint Cup director John Darby said that NASCAR hasn't tested the new Charger nose to determine whether Gordon would have gained an aerodynamic advantage. Regardless, he believes the penalty was consistent with the new car. "We don't look at intent," Darby said. "We only look at rulebooks."

(This was scanned from NASCAR's rulebook that teams are issued.)

http://www.boomspeed.com/rockysmom/nascarrulebook1.jpg

You will notice the only front bumper cover listed as being approved for 2008 (same part number as the avenger bumper cover) is the Charger - which is exactly what
RGM showed up with and was penalized for in Daytona.

tstran17_88
23rd February 2008, 03:59
Technically just because parts have the same part number, it doesn’t mean that the parts are exactly the same. Every place I've worked, I've made revisions to parts all the time without issuing a new part number. It’s a typical engineering function.

The general rule of thumb when deciding to issue a new part number is if the form, fit or function of the product is affected.

But if NASCAR’s rule book said that both noses are legal in 2008, they F 'ed up. But I could easily see NASCAR issuing an amendment to the rule book if the new nose isn’t approved yet, but we’ll only hear the story that each side wants us to hear.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
23rd February 2008, 11:16

Chad didnt put rocket fuel in the intake. MW should have been sent home for that one, it was a step too far. Chad does some dodgy stuff on his cars but lining the intake with rocket fuel was probably further than he would even go.

RaceFanStan
24th February 2008, 06:43
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/08/robby.jpg

http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif :up:

Sparky1329
24th February 2008, 17:34
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/08/robby.jpg

http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif :up:

:D :up:

BobbyC
24th February 2008, 18:42
The penalty is a big issue, and even Fortune Brands is backing Robby. Race fans who support him should get a Moen faucet, Titleist, Foot-Joy, Cobra Golf, Master Lock, and other notable brands of Fortune Brands (NYSE : FO) -- http://www.fortunebrands.com.

harvick#1
24th February 2008, 19:16
I also had no clue, the avenger was already dropped, must have been a poor selling car, and Dodge wanted to go back to the Charger.

BobbyC
25th February 2008, 15:58
The Avenger is a new for 2008 car on a different line than the Charger. The Avenger is a mid-size car while the Charger is full-size, and the Charger, like Chevrolet's Impala, has a V8.

Bob Nardelli wanted the switch to the Charger because it was easier to market the Charger since it has a V8, and the Avenger doesn't.

Lee Roy
25th February 2008, 16:37
After seeing the explanation of the violation yesterday on the pre-race show, I have changed my mind and think that NASCAR should cut Robby Gordon some slack.

Apparently, the only difference in the two noses is a cosmetic difference, having to do with the size of a decal. Apparently they both fit the template. They should reduce the amount of the fine (both points and money) drastically.

Chaparral66
29th February 2008, 02:05
What's the latest on Robby Gordon appealing his out-of-control NASCAR fine for something that wasn't his fault?

Sparky1329
29th February 2008, 03:55
What's the latest on Robby Gordon appealing his out-of-control NASCAR fine for something that wasn't his fault?

The appeal will be heard next Wednesday. Hopefully saner heads will prevail.

tstran17_88
29th February 2008, 19:33
Wasn't the only time NASCAR ever overturned a penalty just a few years ago for the #48 team? I can't remember for sure. Good luck Robby!

tstran17_88
29th February 2008, 19:39
Wasn't the only time NASCAR ever overturned a penalty just a few years ago for the #48 team?Searched on Jayski and found out a few have been overturned over the years...so there may be hope for Robby.

Chaparral66
1st March 2008, 05:05
Robby is the car owner and is ultimately responsible. He knew that the nose didn't quite "look" like the other Dodge noses. He could have asked. He didn't.

And he isn't the first one to get slammed hard. Remember Junior getting the same kind of treatment/penalty last year when he had the wrong wing on the car?

If the code numbers from the two noses match, who's to say what looks right? Procedure-wise, Robby's team didn't do anything wrong. A mistake is a mistake, and Dodge owned up to it, as did Robby; but you have to ask, does the punishment fit the crime? Is this "infraction" on the same level as Michael Waltrip's crew manipulating the fuel system at Daytona last year? No way. Jim Beam made a very good point in its letter to NASCAR about following the rule of law, but also the spirit of competition. Honest mistakes can happen, and it's important to try to determine if there was any intent to get a competitive advantage. Again, no way. With the way the draft works at Daytona, it's highly doubtful, as slightly altered as that new nose might have been, that Robby Gordon would have had any edge over the other guys.

NASCAR might also want to remember that the reason he is getting so much fan support is that Robby Gordon's team is a real throwback to the days of NASCAR when everyone was an independent owner and driver, and not a part of any super team with multiple cars with tons of sponsor, manufacturer, and engineering support. That Robby is as competitive as he is in comparison to the Hendrick, Roush, and Penske teams, is a testement to his passion and determination as a driver and owner. For NASCAR to come down so hard on such an underdog is shameful. If I were NASCAR, I'd reduce the fine, and not dock ANY points. Disipline is one thing, but giving such a harsh penalty to someone literally fighting against many Goliaths is shameful. I'm pulling for you, Robby, and I hope NASCAR realizes the good PR they can get by backing off and doing the right thing.

RaceFanStan
1st March 2008, 17:57
Chaparral66, I agree with most of your post, Robby Gordon was treated unfairly.
Using the wrong nose was an oversight & it WAS NOT a blatant attempt to cheat IMO.

However I do have to say that Robby Gordon Racing is NOT the independent you are portraying him.
Robby Gordon Racing has joined with the giant Evernham/Gillett Motorsports ....
that is why Robby Gordon switched to Dodges this year with Evernham's assistance.

I feel NO fine or points penalty should be imposed on Robby Gordon Racing.

tht828
1st March 2008, 20:57
NASCAR needs to get real with their rules and fines. The severity of the actual infraction should reflect the actual crime. Lighting a match and starting a 1,000,000 acre forest fire are both deemed fire. In NASCAR's eyes there is no difference.
Michael Waltrips intentional illegal fuel additive is more serious than Robby Gordon's infraction and the penalty need to reflect crime. Yet NASCAR's punishment is the same. The #8, #24 & #48 infractions all involved team members altering parts that would have given their drivers an advantage. The nose piece would not have given Robbie Gordon an advantage, so why would he have intentionally put it on the car?

Ignoring the fact that NASCAR's rules and punishments are out of touch with reality is inexcusable. If it's broken admit it and fix it, don't make lame excuses!

Lee Roy
1st March 2008, 21:01
NASCAR needs to get real with their rules and fines. The severity of the actual infraction should reflect the actual crime. Lighting a match and starting a 1,000,000 acre forest fire are both deemed fire. In NASCAR's eyes there is no difference.

And it seems like only a year ago when everyone was beotching about the proportionality of how NASCAR levied it's fines. :roll:

Osella
1st March 2008, 21:54
Jim Beam made a very good point in its letter to NASCAR about following the rule of law, but also the spirit of competition.

:rotflmao:

Chaparral66
4th March 2008, 02:30
Chaparral66, I agree with most of your post, Robby Gordon was treated unfairly.
Using the wrong nose was an oversight & it WAS NOT a blatant attempt to cheat IMO.

However I do have to say that Robby Gordon Racing is NOT the independent you are portraying him.
Robby Gordon Racing has joined with the giant Evernham/Gillett Motorsports ....
that is why Robby Gordon switched to Dodges this year with Evernham's assistance.

I feel NO fine or points penalty should be imposed on Robby Gordon Racing.

The relationship with GEM is just that, a partnership and cooperation agreement; I do not believe there has been any transfer of ownership between the two teams; RGR is to GEM much in the way that the Wood Brothers are alligned with Jack Roush. They share testing, engineering, and set up information, and RG gets engines from GEM, but Robby Gordon Racing is its own entity, and is not answerable to GEM, that I know of. According to JAYSKI, Robby Gordon Racing made "a technological and marketing partnership with Gillett Evernham Motorsports." JAYSKI, 2/21/2008

Chaparral66
4th March 2008, 02:32
BTW, I don't want Robby Gordon to get fined or points taken either, but obviously, NASCAR is going to get its pound of flesh somehow...

Jonesi
6th March 2008, 00:08
NascarNow just said the appeal returned the points but upped the fine to $150K.

muggle not
6th March 2008, 01:06
NascarNow just said the appeal returned the points but upped the fine to $150K.
That is what I am also hearing. Basically, Robby won the appeal and all 100 points of the penalty have been rescinded. "Sources" at Robby Gordon Motorsports say the points penalty has been rescinded, but they're upping the monetary penalty to 150k. Rusty says that since the money goes to charity that he would chip in some money himself for that.

Chaparral66
6th March 2008, 02:01
:rotflmao:

OK, OK, I know, my comment was about Jim Beam making a good report in its support of Robby; believe me, dude, I have no illusions about NASCAR...

Chaparral66
6th March 2008, 02:03
That is what I am also hearing. Basically, Robby won the appeal and all 100 points of the penalty have been rescinded. "Sources" at Robby Gordon Motorsports say the points penalty has been rescinded, but they're upping the monetary penalty to 150k. Rusty says that since the money goes to charity that he would chip in some money himself for that.

Just checked Jayski and the site comfirmed the rescinding of his driver and owner points, and the extra 50 large NASCAR hit him with. Yikes, they have just got to have their pound of flesh, just like I figured earlier in this thread.

e2mtt
6th March 2008, 03:07
This is about the best possible outcome Robby could have hoped for. The team would have lost far more then $150,000 if he would have missed races based on points, or had sponsors bail on him. I think this puts him in 21st place now.

Jonesi
6th March 2008, 03:08
Just checked Jayski and the site comfirmed the rescinding of his driver and owner points, and the extra 50 large NASCAR hit him with. Yikes, they have just got to have their pound of flesh, just like I figured earlier in this thread.

I think they figured that since Dodge admitted it was their fault they would be paying the fine. (Also RGs sponsor probably got well over a $million in good pr supporting his team, I wouldn't be surprised if they helped pay the fine too.)

Jonesi
6th March 2008, 03:09
This is about the best possible outcome Robby could have hoped for. The team would have lost far more then $150,000 if he would have missed races based on points, or had sponsors bail on him. I think this puts him in 21st place now.

Yes missing a race probably would cost him $200-300k minimum.

Chaparral66
6th March 2008, 03:18
I think they figured that since Dodge admitted it was their fault they would be paying the fine. (Also RGs sponsor probably got well over a $million in good pr supporting his team, I wouldn't be surprised if they helped pay the fine too.)

You make an excellent point. Jim Beam was selling support Robby Gordon t-shirts in addition to Dodge coming through like that. When you consider all the media attention, the good will and PR they got out of supporting RG, Jim Beam and Dodge may look at $150,000 as being a drop in the bucket.

Sparky1329
6th March 2008, 04:54
I don't ever recall either a sponsor or manufacturer coming to the defense of a team that was penalized for a rulebook violation. Dodge will probably pay the fine as they should since it was their error.

Chaparral66
6th March 2008, 05:13
I don't ever recall either a sponsor or manufacturer coming to the defense of a team that was penalized for a rulebook violation. Dodge will probably pay the fine as they should since it was their error.

It's not exactly unprecedented. It's happened before if the sponsor or manf. thought a ruling was unjustified, doesn't happen very day.

Sparky1329
6th March 2008, 05:51
It's not exactly unprecedented. It's happened before if the sponsor or manf. thought a ruling was unjustified, doesn't happen very day.

When in NASCAR was that?

Lee Roy
6th March 2008, 11:50
I'm glad they saw it Robby's way.

stereokarter
6th March 2008, 13:04
First, Ramsey Poston is clueless.

NASCAR has ruled in a Team's favour for once...but not until thousands of fans howled loud and clear.

Get this...there is a world of difference between 'cheating' and 'a technical infraction'. They need to categorize the area(s) of infringement and apply penalties accordingly.

Plus, just why is the driver penalized in points for some error that a parts Picker made anyway?

There were 'Committees of Infringement" in a certain European country in the 30's and 40's and it took the might of the U.S.A. to obtain an attitude adjustment.

That's what NASCAR needs...an attitude adjustment when it comes to applying penalties.

Chaparral66
6th March 2008, 23:57
When in NASCAR was that?

Can't give specifics, maybe Jayski has something, but I have read where it's happened before. The sponsor doesn't want to talk about that too much because they would want to be responsible for starting a trend.

Sparky1329
7th March 2008, 05:10
Can't give specifics, maybe Jayski has something, but I have read where it's happened before. The sponsor doesn't want to talk about that too much because they would want to be responsible for starting a trend.

I actually have been able to find no other precedent so I'll assume there is none without some proof of it. If a sponsor is that proud of it's driver and confident in his integrity I would expect them to shout it from the rooftops much like Jim Beam did.

RaceFanStan
7th March 2008, 13:28
Can't give specifics ...
FYI, most NASCAR fans won't accept a bold allegation made with no proof. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
Contrary to popular belief, most NASCAR fans are NOT gullible ignorant people. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Sparky1329
7th March 2008, 17:49
FYI, most NASCAR fans won't accept a bold allegation made with no proof. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
Contrary to popular belief, most NASCAR fans are NOT gullible ignorant people. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

:D :up:

Lee Roy
7th March 2008, 18:04

:up:

tstran17_88
7th March 2008, 19:56
I don't ever recall either a sponsor or manufacturer coming to the defense of a team that was penalized for a rulebook violation. Dodge will probably pay the fine as they should since it was their error.About the only thing remotely close that I can think of, but it's the polar opposite of what Jim Beam did for Robby, was when Home Depot put Tony Stewart on double secret probation. I think it was when Tony smacked the camera out of the reporter's hand at Indy a few years back.

Chaparral66
8th March 2008, 02:38
I actually have been able to find no other precedent so I'll assume there is none without some proof of it. If a sponsor is that proud of it's driver and confident in his integrity I would expect them to shout it from the rooftops much like Jim Beam did.

A sponsor shouting from the rooftops that it actually paid out a boatload more cash than the original sponsorship agreement called for? OOOOOOOOkaaaayyyy...in this case it was justified since Dodge admitted the mistake, and NASCAR's punishment clearly didn't fit the "crime". If I can find proof or evidence for you, I will, either through an article, link, or anecdotal. And please guys, no one is trying to pull the wool over your sensitive heads. If I say I remember about something, it's because I do, as best as possible. I'm usually in the open wheel forum, and I have respect for everyone who contributes to the discussions. If I'm wrong, I'll own up to it.

Sparky1329
8th March 2008, 04:31
A sponsor shouting from the rooftops that it actually paid out a boatload more cash than the original sponsorship agreement called for? OOOOOOOOkaaaayyyy...in this case it was justified since Dodge admitted the mistake, and NASCAR's punishment clearly didn't fit the "crime". If I can find proof or evidence for you, I will, either through an article, link, or anecdotal. And please guys, no one is trying to pull the wool over your sensitive heads. If I say I remember about something, it's because I do, as best as possible. I'm usually in the open wheel forum, and I have respect for everyone who contributes to the discussions. If I'm wrong, I'll own up to it.

Mkay. Here's your unequivocal and confident statement. Some rube who didn't know any better might think you're an authority and might actually believe this.

Time to man up, Chap.

Chaparral66
8th March 2008, 05:13
Mkay. Here's your unequivocal and confident statement. Some rube who didn't know any better might think you're an authority and might actually believe this.

Time to man up, Chap.

Take your own advice. I don't claim to be an authority. I give my opinion as you do, and everyone else on this forum, which is what it's here for, isn't it?. Most of the time I can produce something to validate it, this time I haven't. Yet. So I went with my gut. Deal with it. You don't have to agree, and I won't think less of you if you don't. And who are you referring to as rubes? The many NASCAR fans who RaceFanStan says are NOT gullible, ignorant, people? The statement I made did not make any such assumption about who might see this. It is simply an opinion. I never presented it as absolute fact. Just my opinion. If I can find something to more substantiate it, I will. If I don't, the green flag will still fly this weekend at Atlanta.

Lee Roy
8th March 2008, 14:17
I'm usually in the open wheel forum, . . . .

That's your problem. Most of the time in those Open Wheel/NASCAR Hate forums they're spouting nonsense about NASCAR and after a while they begin to actually believe it.

nigelred5
8th March 2008, 21:41
What is even more rediculous about the whole deal is the front fascia in question to my knowledge is now an approved part. NASCAR has never welcomed Robby Gordon. They seem to keep an unduly critical and suspicious eye on ol' RG IMO.

Chaparral66
9th March 2008, 01:35
That's your problem. Most of the time in those Open Wheel/NASCAR Hate forums they're spouting nonsense about NASCAR and after a while they begin to actually believe it.

You misjudge me. I don't share the contempt that many of the other open wheel forum fans have of NASCAR. I've always watched NASCAR racing, and every year I have a party on the day of The Daytona 500. While I, as many others here, have my issues with NASCAR (such as this Robby Gordon farce), and have the opinion that NASCAR was the real winner in the asinine open wheel war, I have enjoyed NASCAR for years and continue to do so. Richard Petty, David Pearson, Bill Elliott, and The Wood Brothers are among my idols growing up, and I cheer for Robby Gordon, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, Mark Martin, and Dale Jarrett today.

BTW, Lee, you don't happen to come from Maine, do you?

Sparky1329
9th March 2008, 05:40
What is even more rediculous about the whole deal is the front fascia in question to my knowledge is now an approved part. NASCAR has never welcomed Robby Gordon. They seem to keep an unduly critical and suspicious eye on ol' RG IMO.

To the best of my knowledge the new Dodge nose has in fact not been aprroved yet. You're right of course about Robby's relationship with NASCAR. I'm of the opinion that's because Robby knows NASCAR's rule book better than they do and he takes those rules literally as they're written. I don't believe NASCAR intends for their rules to be interpreted as written in stone since they seem to prefer those "ball/strike" calls as they call them. The Montreal race last season was the perfect example of my theory.

Robby is playing chess while NASCAR is playing checkers. Or maybe it's baseball they're playing. ;)

Chaparral66
9th March 2008, 09:31
To the best of my knowledge the new Dodge nose has in fact not been aprroved yet. You're right of course about Robby's relationship with NASCAR. I'm of the opinion that's because Robby knows NASCAR's rule book better than they do and he takes those rules literally as they're written. I don't believe NASCAR intends for their rules to be interpreted as written in stone since they seem to prefer those "ball/strike" calls as they call them. The Montreal race last season was the perfect example of my theory.

Robby is playing chess while NASCAR is playing checkers. Or maybe it's baseball they're playing. ;)

I agree. And I bet it's because his is an independent team, it's more important for him to stay within the rules than most since he doesn't have the resources that a Penske or Childress has, since even the mildest infraction could be very expensive, case in point at Daytona. And I also agree that Robby won that race in Montreal last year.

Lee Roy
9th March 2008, 14:03
BTW, Lee, you don't happen to come from Maine, do you?

No.

RaceFanStan
9th March 2008, 18:20

I told a friend about the above front bumper cover list & the matching Dodge part numbers ...

he informed me that the only difference is an added dash @ the end of the number for 2008.

So the numbers are :

2007 = Dodge Avenger = 05045265AA

2008 = Dodge Charger = 05045265AA-

:s

I can see how the wrong nose could be easily used in error.

RaceFanStan
9th March 2008, 18:32
... I have enjoyed NASCAR for years and continue to do so.
Richard Petty, David Pearson, Bill Elliott, and The Wood Brothers are among my idols growing up,
and I cheer for Robby Gordon, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, Mark Martin, and Dale Jarrett today ...
I notice that a couple of your favorite drivers are about to retire ...
It seems that we are all losing several favorite drivers at about the same time ...
I have sadly watched several NASCAR drivers drive off into "retirement" ...
seeing them as announcers and/or team owners just isn't the same ...
I understand retiring while you are in your 50's & still in good health ...
yet I will still miss those veteran drivers behind the wheel of a stockcar. :s

harvick#1
9th March 2008, 19:07
this nose still doesn't make any sense, the CoT is the exact same body for every car, the only thing thats different is the decals :confused:

anyone want to help here

RaceFanStan
9th March 2008, 19:30
Robby had a 2007 nose on his 2008 Dodge racecar. :eek:

Chaparral66
9th March 2008, 23:10
I notice that a couple of your favorite drivers are about to retire ...
It seems that we are all losing several favorite drivers at about the same time ...
I have sadly watched several NASCAR drivers drive off into "retirement" ...
seeing them as announcers and/or team owners just isn't the same ...
I understand retiring while you are in your 50's & still in good health ...
yet I will still miss those veteran drivers behind the wheel of a stockcar. :s

Yeah, today was DJ's last race, and Mark Martin will continue a bit longer racing part-time as long as someone will let him. That's cool I still have the others I mentioned, and there will always be more to choose from.

Jonesi
10th March 2008, 00:28
Yeah, today was DJ's last race, and Mark Martin will continue a bit longer racing part-time as long as someone will let him. That's cool I still have the others I mentioned, and there will always be more to choose from.

I thought it was next week after which the '08 points kick in.

Sparky1329
10th March 2008, 04:57

I told a friend about the above front bumper cover list & the matching Dodge part numbers ...

he informed me that the only difference is an added dash @ the end of the number for 2008.

So the numbers are :

2007 = Dodge Avenger = 05045265AA

2008 = Dodge Charger = 05045265AA-

:s

I can see how the wrong nose could be easily used in error.

And that's exactly what Robby said. Every nose that Dodge sent RGM was wrong. They had no correct noses in their shop when they switched makes so they had nothing to compare. And the templates fit.

Lee Roy
10th March 2008, 05:01
this nose still doesn't make any sense, the CoT is the exact same body for every car, the only thing thats different is the decals :confused:

anyone want to help here

I think there are some differences in the nose and a couple of other places. Not much, but enough to make for some distinction between makes.

Chaparral66
10th March 2008, 08:56
I thought it was next week after which the '08 points kick in.

You could be right, I might have been off a bit.

muggle not
10th March 2008, 20:59
Rumor from Jayski I believe:

Hearing that Alex Gillett [George Gillett's son] has purchased Robby Gordon Motorsports [#7 Dodge] and will run it as a separate entity from Gillette-Evernham Motorsports. Plans are to eventually expand it to a multi-car team. Assuming Robby Gordon will stay on as driver...if this is true. Currently Gordon owns the team, but has a technological and marketing partnership with Gillett Evernham Motorsports and is 24th in driver/owners points.(3-10-2008)

BobbyC
17th March 2008, 15:28
Another interesting one.

Remember when Fortune Brands did the "We Support Robby" campaign (Fortune is the sponsor of Robby Gordon.)?

Robby's sponsor gave Dale Jarrett a nice retirement present; 668 (one for each race started) of one of their products. Not a bad prize.

Vez
27th March 2008, 22:42
Article from Jayski's:

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news7

Security company wants Gordon to stop using its logos: A security software firm wants #7-Robby Gordon to remove its logos from his uniforms and equipment as part of a contract dispute that began when the Dakar Rally was cancelled because of terrorism threats. Vanguard Integrity Professionals is suing Gordon in U.S. District Court in California over the sponsorship of Team Gordon in the Dakar Rally and is asking for $1.15 million back from the driver. The company went public with the dispute Wednesday because it wants Gordon to immediately cease using its logos in his NASCAR ventures, and claims the driver was only authorized to promote Vanguard outside the United States. "We want the world to know that Vanguard is no longer associated with Team Gordon," the company said in a statement released to The Associated Press. Gordon could not immediately be reached for comment. Gordon contends Vanguard cannot terminate the contract. Upset that Gordon continues to use Vanguard logos, the company requested a temporary restraining order to prohibit Gordon's use of the logos. The motion was denied March 5 in U.S. District Court.(Associated Press/ESPN)(3-27-2008)

This dosen't sound too good.

Aussie12
30th March 2008, 04:02
TEAM DAKAR USA > News > Press Releases

Team Dakar USA Responds to Vanguard's Statements

We are disappointed by Vanguard's decision to present our issues to the media. But given the inaccuracies and misleading statements recently published by Vanguard, we want to make sure that the public is aware of important information pertaining to the 2008 Dakar event.

The organizer of the Dakar races, ASO, will present the 2008 Dakar Series race in Central Europe beginning April 19, 2008. As with the originally planned Dakar event, the race in Europe will be a cross country endurance off-road event that will traverse threatening and difficult terrain in multiple stages. The race will be covered by international media, and the coverage will be carried by media outlets throughout the world. ASO describes the 2008 Dakar event, dubbed the Central Europe Rally, as follows: "The demands on competitors of the Central Europe Rally will be equivalent to those of the Dakar. The quality of competition also guarantees strong media interest."

Team Dakar USA major sponsors Hummer, Monster Energy, and Toyo Tires will all participate in the 2008 Dakar Series race in Europe, as will virtually all of the major competitive teams. Robby Gordon of Team Dakar USA, the only American driver ever to win a stage race in the Dakar, is pleased with the level of support and interest that the new 2008 Dakar event has received thus far. "We are very excited about the race and our chances in Europe. ASO has promoted the race. Our sponsors are generally pleased and our cars are fast. We expect to put on a great race and do well."

Monster Energy’s Joe Parsons states they will stand behind Robby Gordon's off road effort. “We are very excited about the Central Europe rally that will take place in Budapest starting April 19th to the 27th 2008."

Monster energy will continue to support Team Dakar USA and Robby Gordon through at least the 2010 Dakar. “RG represents our brand well and does an awesome job for us on and off the track.”

...Team Dakar USA and its sponsors are looking forward to the 2008 Dakar Series race in Central Europe with high expectations and great enthusiasm. We will provide more information as the race draws near. Watch for your local coverage.

For full press release go to http://www.robbygordon.com/cms/publish/article_1040.shtml

Sparky1329
30th March 2008, 19:47
This is just my opinion and it's a jaded one about Robby. Robby tells it like it is no matter where the chips fall. Some people like it and some don't. Bailey is using it as an excuse to get out of the three-year contract. Most of the original Dakar participants are racing in the make-up race. In fact Bailey is on the current entry list roster and shown as being in Rob's second Hummer. He bought a ride from RG Off-Road and now he doesn't want to play with the real racers anymore. It's just a shame that he's sliming Robby because he doesn't want to pay to play.

e2mtt
30th March 2008, 20:42
This is just my opinion and it's a jaded one about Robby. Robby tells it like it is no matter where the chips fall. Some people like it and some don't. Bailey is using it as an excuse to get out of the three-year contract. Most of the original Dakar participants are racing in the make-up race. In fact Bailey is on the current entry list roster and shown as being in Rob's second Hummer. He bought a ride from RG Off-Road and now he doesn't want to play with the real racers anymore. It's just a shame that he's sliming Robby because he doesn't want to pay to play.

That's what it sounds like to me too... I wonder if Bailey just didn't realize the level of commitment it takes to win at this level, and now wants to go play somewhere where it is easier to just buy success.

Sparky1329
30th March 2008, 22:05
That's what it sounds like to me too... I wonder if Bailey just didn't realize the level of commitment it takes to win at this level, and now wants to go play somewhere where it is easier to just buy success.

Robby makes it look easy when it's anything but. From what I'm hearing Bailey is a wealthy thrill-seeker and buying success is what he does. I don't know the man but I'm familiar with his type.

Aussie12
22nd April 2008, 08:56
Dakar: Central Europe update...

Stage 1: 2nd

Stage 2: 10th
Overall Standing: 7th

Sparky1329
22nd April 2008, 15:59
Gas on! :D :up:

Chaparral66
22nd April 2008, 17:23
Keep those updates coming. I didn't know Dakar was having a make up race. Is someone driving the #7 Dodge while Robby's driving in this make-up race?

Sparky1329
23rd April 2008, 05:18
PJ Jones will practice and QF the 7 car at Dega. Rob will have to start at the rear but that's not a big deal at Talladega.

Sparky1329
23rd April 2008, 05:33
There are two specials on the menu for the 4th stage, which is the longest of this first Central Europe Rally, at a distance of 580 km, 150 km of which are against the clock. After leaving Debrecen, the competitors will first have to stomach the 213 km of the link stage to Dabas, before tucking into the first time-trial which follows the same route as the very first special of the rally, but in the opposite direction this time! Sand and woops will therefore be on the menu again. After that, the caravan will be back on the tarmac for a new link stage of 206 km to the military base in Vezsprem, the finishing point of this 4th stage. However, before reaching the base, the competitors will have to get through the 88-km second special on a constantly changing terrain, typical of the Hungarian plains. They will be served up with a track that will be at times both flat and quick and at other times very muddy and bumpy, so the drivers and riders will have to adapt their pace to the terrain. In such conditions, the slightest mistake will probably result in a time loss of several minutes.

STAGE 4 First Special Start Order / Times

1 203 DE VILLIERS (ZAF) 11:29:00
2 200 PETERHANSEL (FRA) 11:31:00
3 204 ROMA (ESP) 11:33:00
4 212 GORDON (USA) 11:35:00
5 202 ALPHAND (FRA) 11:37:00
6 213 DEPPING (DEU) 11:39:00
7 205 AL ATTIYAH (QAT) 11:41:00
8 201 SAINZ (ESP) 11:43:00
9 209 SOUSA (PRT) 11:45:00
10 215 GACHE (FRA) 11:47:00

Aussie12
23rd April 2008, 08:08
Stage 3: 4th
Overall: 6th

:D

Sparky1329
23rd April 2008, 17:09
Robby finished 3rd in the stage. Team USA's second Hummer was 7th for the stage. Here's the latest overall I could find.

1 200 PETERHANSEL (FRA)
COTTRET (FRA) MITSUBISHI 04:10:38 00:00:00
2 213 DEPPING (DEU)
GOTTSCHALK (DEU) VOLKSWAGEN 04:11:33 00:00:55
3 203 DE VILLIERS (ZAF)
VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU) VOLKSWAGEN 04:13:34 00:02:56
4 212 GORDON (USA)
GRIDER (USA) HUMMER 04:15:06 00:04:28
5 202 ALPHAND (FRA)
PICARD (FRA) MITSUBISHI 04:15:24 00:04:46
6 204 ROMA (ESP)
CRUZ SENRA (ESP) MITSUBISHI 04:15:29 00:04:51
7 205 AL ATTIYAH (QAT)
THORNER (SWE) BMW 04:17:39 00:07:01
8 201 SAINZ (ESP)
PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN 04:17:50 00:07:12
9 209 SOUSA (PRT)
SCHULZ (DEU) VOLKSWAGEN 04:24:21 00:13:43
10 238 FOJ (ESP)
PUJOLAR (ESP) TOYOTA 04:25:50 00:15:12
11 211 SABY (FRA)
GUEHENNEC (FRA) BMW 04:32:48 00:22:10
12 245 ZAPLETAL (CZE)
NEMAJER (CZE) MITSUBISHI 04:36:52 00:26:14
13 215 GACHE (FRA)
FLICK (FRA) BUGGY 04:43:25 00:32:47
14 223 KIS (HUN)
CZEGLEDI (HUN) NISSAN 04:53:25 00:42:47
15 221 SZALAY (HUN)
TOTH (HUN) CHEVROLET 04:53:52 00:43:14
16 250 HERRADOR (ESP)
VICO (ESP) BMW 04:55:49 00:45:11
17 214 HENRARD (BEL)
BRUYNKENS (BEL) VOLKSWAGEN 04:58:22 00:47:44
18 218 BALDWIN (USA)
HEATH (USA) HUMMER 04:58:54 00:48:16
19 232 LEAL DOS SANTOS (PRT) BMW 04:59:07 00:48:29
20 216 AZIS (LVA)
PRINCIS (LVA) OSC 05:02:33 00:51:55
21 269 ISTVAN (HUN)
TIBOR (HUN) PROTO 05:04:49 00:54:11
22 258 FAZEKAS (HUN)
CSATO (HUN) BMW 05:21:54 01:11:16
23 226 PATISSIER (AND)
DELLI - ZOTTI (FRA) BUGGY 05:22:50 01:12:12
24 259 LISZI (HUN)
FENESI (HUN) MITSUBISHI 05:25:47 01:15:09
25 257 NICOLAE (ROU)
STAN (ROU) MITSUBISHI 05:33:23 01:22:45
26 266 VARGA (HUN)
POCSEG (HUN) NISSAN 05:33:30 01:22:52
27 240 GREEN (GBR)
ELAND (AUS) RALLY RAID UK 05:34:01 01:23:23
28 272 ROCHELLE (GBR)
HAMMOND (GBR) RALLY RAID UK 05:41:00 01:30:22
29 270 AZOFRA (ESP)
IRIBARREN (ESP) MITSUBISHI 05:45:41 01:35:03 05:00
30 256 VAN EIKEREN (NLD)
HERWEIJER (NLD) TOYOTA 05:46:59 01:36:21
31 278 THEURIOT (FRA)
PROT (FRA) BOWLER 05:48:43 01:38:05
32 247 NESTERCHUK (UKR)
KONDRATIYEV (UKR) MITSUBISHI 05:57:49 01:47:11
33 274 RENTERO CANO (ESP)
VASCO CUESTA (ESP) DESERT WARRIOR 06:02:19 01:51:41 11:00
34 235 BERNARD (FRA)
CORNUAILLE (FRA) BMW 06:16:18 02:05:40
35 268 MURCZIN (HUN)
HUJBER (HUN) MITSUBISHI 06:26:17 02:15:39
36 243 KRISTOF (HUN)
SIMON (HUN) NISSAN 06:44:43 02:34:05
37 237 WAMBERGUE (FRA)
CATTARELLI (FRA) TOYOTA 06:44:46 02:34:08
38 224 PALIK (HUN)
DARAZSI (HUN) NISSAN 06:46:21 02:35:43
39 208 CHICHERIT (FRA)
BAUMEL (FRA) BMW 07:23:14 03:12:36 01:00:00
40 231 VAN LOON (NLD)
DE GROOT (NLD) VOLKSWAGEN 07:38:53 03:28:15 01:05:00
41 239 INOCENCIO (PRT)
FIUZA (PRT) MITSUBISHI 09:52:48 05:42:10 02:00:00

harvick#1
23rd April 2008, 17:16
woohooo :bounce: :bounce: GAS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Aussie12
23rd April 2008, 22:52
Stage 4: 10th
Overall: 8th

Out of the Carpathian Mountains now and onto the plains. Tenth is a litle worrying - the H should be quicker on the plains.

Aussie12
24th April 2008, 22:32
BUGGER!

Stage: 51st
Overall: 51st

Did really well in the first special but broke the rear wheel hub on an awkward jump. Although it was able to be fixed all chances for this rally are over. :(

If this was the 15 day Dakar event in Africa the 51st position wouldn't be too bad. On his first Dakar Robby dropped to out of the top 100 after rolling the car and made it back up to 12th at the finish line.

Aussie12
27th April 2008, 22:34
Final stage: 8th
Overall finish: 10th

Sparky1329
28th April 2008, 05:50
Team USA did a great job competing against factory teams. Gas on! :D :up:

Aussie12
29th April 2008, 09:28
Pulled off a decent finish at Dega too.

Vez
7th July 2008, 21:39
From Jayski:

Villeneuve could run for Robby: #7-Robby Gordon is in talks with Jacques Villeneuve and Barry Green, for Villeneuve to run for Robby Gordon Motorsports in the Nationwide Montreal race on August 2nd and possibly a Sprint Cup ride in 2009. "I will send a car Nationwide Series in Montreal, no matter what happens," said Gordon. Much of the Nationwide deal and Cup ride deal depends if Villeneuve and Green can bring a sponsor along with the deal.(rough tranlation from Le Journal de Montreal/Canoe Sports)(7-7-2008)

This could be an interesting deal if it goes through.

Robby does seem to like to give others a chance to race :up:

Chaparral66
7th July 2008, 23:07
From Jayski:

Villeneuve could run for Robby: #7-Robby Gordon is in talks with Jacques Villeneuve and Barry Green, for Villeneuve to run for Robby Gordon Motorsports in the Nationwide Montreal race on August 2nd and possibly a Sprint Cup ride in 2009. "I will send a car Nationwide Series in Montreal, no matter what happens," said Gordon. Much of the Nationwide deal and Cup ride deal depends if Villeneuve and Green can bring a sponsor along with the deal.(rough tranlation from Le Journal de Montreal/Canoe Sports)(7-7-2008)

This could be an interesting deal if it goes through.

Robby does seem to like to give others a chance to race :up:

I wish Robby Gordon the best of luck along with Jacques. If Jacques could race in Montreal, that help with getting fans to come, and could not only help Jacques in his NASCAR ambitions but could also help Robby land another sponsor to get another car going which could help with testing. Robby is a real throwback in many ways and it's refreshing.

Vez
5th September 2008, 20:38
http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#gem7

GEM sues Robby Gordon: Gillett Evernham Motorsports has filed suit against Robby Gordon saying the owner/driver of Robby Gordon Motorsports violated terms of a tentative agreement that would have sold his team to GEM for $23.5 million earlier this year. The deal, agreed to Jan. 29, was pending an audit and other due diligence from GEM, which could have adjusted the price. If the deal had gone through, Gordon would have had a four-year driving contract with GEM that would have paid him $3 million annually plus 45 percent of race winnings as well as insurance and other provisions customary for NASCAR driver agreements – a package likely worth at least $5 million annually. Gordon also could have had a spot on the team’s board of directors. GEM would have acquired Gordon’s shop and property in Charlotte. As part of the agreement, GEM pledged to provide Gordon with all “racing infrastructure” and to support the Gordon’s car “in substantially the same manner in which GEM supports its most supported car in the NASCAR Sprint Cup” for the 2008 season. Three days after the agreement was signed, GEM and Gordon announced a technical, manufacturing and marketing partnership. At that time, GEM owner George Gillett, in an interview with NASCAR Scene, stated that he did not buy Gordon’s operation and was more likely to add a fourth car to his stable and hoped Gordon would add a second or third car to his.
“We categorically reject the allegations that are contained in the complaint, and the truth will come out if the case proceeds,” Gordon said in a statement released through his race team. “In the meantime, we think it is best to allow that to happen in the court proceedings rather than in the media. Therefore, although we have much to say, we won’t be making a further statement about it at this time.” GEM spokesman Drew Brown said the team would not comment on the lawsuit. See full story at SceneDaily or my #7 Team News and Links page.(9-4-2008)

This doesn't sound too good :s

Chaparral66
6th September 2008, 04:44
http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#gem7

GEM sues Robby Gordon: Gillett Evernham Motorsports has filed suit against Robby Gordon saying the owner/driver of Robby Gordon Motorsports violated terms of a tentative agreement that would have sold his team to GEM for $23.5 million earlier this year. The deal, agreed to Jan. 29, was pending an audit and other due diligence from GEM, which could have adjusted the price. If the deal had gone through, Gordon would have had a four-year driving contract with GEM that would have paid him $3 million annually plus 45 percent of race winnings as well as insurance and other provisions customary for NASCAR driver agreements – a package likely worth at least $5 million annually. Gordon also could have had a spot on the team’s board of directors. GEM would have acquired Gordon’s shop and property in Charlotte. As part of the agreement, GEM pledged to provide Gordon with all “racing infrastructure” and to support the Gordon’s car “in substantially the same manner in which GEM supports its most supported car in the NASCAR Sprint Cup” for the 2008 season. Three days after the agreement was signed, GEM and Gordon announced a technical, manufacturing and marketing partnership. At that time, GEM owner George Gillett, in an interview with NASCAR Scene, stated that he did not buy Gordon’s operation and was more likely to add a fourth car to his stable and hoped Gordon would add a second or third car to his.
“We categorically reject the allegations that are contained in the complaint, and the truth will come out if the case proceeds,” Gordon said in a statement released through his race team. “In the meantime, we think it is best to allow that to happen in the court proceedings rather than in the media. Therefore, although we have much to say, we won’t be making a further statement about it at this time.” GEM spokesman Drew Brown said the team would not comment on the lawsuit. See full story at SceneDaily or my #7 Team News and Links page.(9-4-2008)

This doesn't sound too good :s

Doesn't sound good at all. Robby's last minute switch to Dodge from Ford seems to have been based on this partnership with GEM. Yet, Robby's results this year have been inconsistent at best. Wonder what went sour?

Sparky1329
7th September 2008, 06:52
I'm hearing rumors about some funky stuff going on with GEM not holding up their end of the deal. Among other things they allegedly owe Robby some bucks and this is a preemptive strike ahead of collection action. It should be interesting regardless.

RaceFanStan
7th September 2008, 16:43
I have to agree with you Sparky, it will probably be very interesting once the whole truth comes out. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif

... Gillett Evernham Motorsports has filed suit against Robby Gordon
saying the owner/driver of Robby Gordon Motorsports violated terms of a tentative agreement
that would have sold his team to GEM for $23.5 million earlier this year ... IMO sometimes smells about these charges that GEM bought against Robby Gordon ...
Robby Gordon is a smart fellow & he has worked hard to maintain his owner/driver team ...
I find it hard to believe Robby would sell his team in such a manner as described. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

... GEM owner George Gillett, in an interview with NASCAR Scene, stated that he did not buy Gordon’s operation
and was more likely to add a fourth car to his stable and hoped Gordon would add a second or third car to his ... Is it just me or do these statements contradict the charges that GEM are now making against Robby Gordon ? http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/roll_eyes.gif

Jonesi
8th September 2008, 01:45
Adding to Robby's troubles, he now out of the Top 35 for the first time, -11 points below #00 in 35th.

RaceFanStan
20th September 2008, 16:14
"GEM and Robby Gordon Motorsports issued a statement saying GEM's suit against RGM had been settled
and a planned merger of the two organizations wouldn't proceed ..."
"Friday's statement said, in part "disagreements over the merger led to the recent filing of a lawsuit
to have the court determine the parties' rights under the merger agreement.
As part of the resolution, the lawsuit will be dismissed and the merger will not proceed ..."
"GEM had previously supplied engines for RGM, including this weekend & @ next week's Sprint Cup test at Charlotte.
Gordon said his #7 Dodge would use a Penske Racing Dodge powerplant at Kansas Speedway next weekend ..."

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/09/19/rgordon.gem.merger/index.html