PDA

View Full Version : IROC up for auction

Lee Roy
23rd January 2008, 17:45
http://www.jayski.com

IROC up for auction: Looks like no IROC in 2008. The series took 2007 off, in search of a sponsor for the series. None was found and the cars were up for sale and now the cars, engines and equipment will be up for auction March 6-8, 2008.

Sparky1329
24th January 2008, 04:53
That's just sad. I really enjoyed those races.

RaceFanStan
24th January 2008, 12:38
IROC may have lost it's luster for some racefans over the years but it was always unique.
I never stopped liking IROC & I looked forward to the races every year.
30 years of "racing champions competing in equally prepared racecars" has come to an end. :s
Nowhere else could you see drivers from different racing backgrounds compete against each other.
IROC will be missed & the racing community is lessened by it's demise. :s

http://www.irocracing.com/

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/08/auction.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/08/iroc.jpg

Nick Brad
24th January 2008, 16:02
Sad to see it fold, but if it's bought up as a job lot by the right person, maybe we'll see it back next year or 2010.

Lee Roy
24th January 2008, 16:10
I really doubt we'll see IROC again, at least for the forseeable future.

What made IROC good back in the 1970's and 1980's was that the drivers from the other series were stars with the same level of recognition, or even more, than the NASCAR stars. The last few years of IROC consisted of a few NASCAR stars fighting for the wins and a few nearly annonymous individuals bringing up the rear.

If ever there are ever again other racing series here in the US that can rival NASCAR, we may see something like old IROC re-appear.

I was at the finale of the first IROC series at Daytona. That was the first year when they used Porsches and ran on the road course. Mark Donohue won that day. It was unforgettable.

SOD
24th January 2008, 17:12
I really doubt we'll see IROC again, at least for the forseeable future.

What made IROC good back in the 1970's and 1980's was that the drivers from the other series were stars with the same level of recognition, or even more, than the NASCAR stars. The last few years of IROC consisted of a few NASCAR stars fighting for the wins and a few nearly annonymous individuals bringing up the rear.

If ever there are ever again other racing series here in the US that can rival NASCAR, we may see something like old IROC re-appear.

I was at the finale of the first IROC series at Daytona. That was the first year when they used Porsches and ran on the road course. Mark Donohue won that day. It was unforgettable.

I think your last paragraph sums up what was great about IROC, though no road corses have been raced for may years.

Michigan 1997 was the last time that IROCraces took place at non-Cup events. IROC was becomming more of a burden on NASCAR drivers in recent years who had little free time.

Lee Roy
24th January 2008, 17:21
I think your last paragraph sums up what was great about IROC, though no road corses have been raced for may years.

Michigan 1997 was the last time that IROCraces took place at non-Cup events. IROC was becomming more of a burden on NASCAR drivers in recent years who had little free time.

One of the last races IROC ran was on the road course at Daytona. Tony Stewart won that race.

call_me_andrew
25th January 2008, 03:01
I'm sure there are a few people that could make IROC work. They just don't have the cash.

tstran17_88
31st January 2008, 18:22
The last few years of IROC consisted of a few NASCAR stars fighting for the wins and a few nearly annonymous individuals bringing up the rear.Mostly, but not always. The only two IROC races I ever saw were at Chicagoland in 2002 & 2003. Buddy Lazier won in 2002 and Mike Bliss won in 2003, and I'd hardly say Bliss is a Nascar star. I also remember Danny Lasoski & Sebastain Bourdais winning IROC races right before the series folded.