PDA

View Full Version : Nico Hulkenberg

woody2goody
23rd January 2008, 15:59
I don't know too much about the Wiliams test driver, so do people know exactly how good he is, and how good he could be?

23rd January 2008, 16:07
I don't know too much about the Wiliams test driver, so do people know exactly how good he is, and how good he could be?

Well, he was the driver of the 2006-2007 A1GP championship-winning German car, 3rd in 2007 F3 Euroseries and 2006 (or 2005, can't recall exactly) Formula BMW champion.

Perhaps more importantly, he is managed by Willi Weber and is considered to be a Schumi prodigee (although I'm not sure how involved Michael is).

He is certainly a very good racer, but is obviously a little bit raw, as his numerous 'offs' testing the Williams show.

Roamy
23rd January 2008, 16:11
if 100 guys can race a f3 at 140 mph you are lucky if 1 can race at 200 mph.
Therefore the answer is = we can't tell yet but at least he brings a winning record to the sport.

woody2goody
23rd January 2008, 16:17
Now that you mention it I remember him in the A1GP for Germany.

It's always hard to tell whether they're as good as Kubica or unable to make the grade.

Well if he's anywhere near as good as Michael it'll be great for Williams, and a possible partnership with Rosberg could be very lucrative, especially in Germany.

Is it good for Williams having someone so young as a test driver, particularly after the departure of Alex Wurz?

Stuartf12007
23rd January 2008, 22:25
heis a future world champion.

raikk
24th January 2008, 09:29
Well, he was the driver of the 2006-2007 A1GP championship-winning German car, 3rd in 2007 F3 Euroseries and 2006 (or 2005, can't recall exactly) Formula BMW champion.

Perhaps more importantly, he is managed by Willi Weber and is considered to be a Schumi prodigee (although I'm not sure how involved Michael is).

He is certainly a very good racer, but is obviously a little bit raw, as his numerous 'offs' testing the Williams show.

well he is new to Formula 1 cars so obviously when you are pushing in an unfamiliar car you will have more offs... happens to the best of them even Lewis...

Osella
24th January 2008, 11:49
I would say he definitely has champion potential. His consistency in his A1 season was excellent, and at times he destroyed the field on pace. Yes, undoubtely he had the best equipment, but someone like Williams does not pick up an unsponsored test driver for no reason.

I just hope they give him a Coulthard/Rosberg/Wurz chance, not a De Ferran/Collard treatment..

ShiftingGears
25th January 2008, 00:18
well he is new to Formula 1 cars so obviously when you are pushing in an unfamiliar car you will have more offs... happens to the best of them even Lewis...

Yep...the fastest drivers find the limit by breaking it.

25th January 2008, 13:11

I didn't mean to imply that Hulkenberg was not up to the job, just a bit raw....which is to be expected considering his age.

F1boat
25th January 2008, 14:41
Nico was stunning in A1, absolutely owned his rivals.

tintop
25th January 2008, 17:45
Best and most undeniably Teutonic name for a German F1 driver ever!

Osella
26th January 2008, 00:48
Dunno...I'd say Hans-Joachim Stuck is pretty good ;)

tintop
26th January 2008, 14:01
Dunno...I'd say Hans-Joachim Stuck is pretty good ;)

Not bad, but Hulkenberg has that mythical warrior giant ring to it. :vader:

Osella
26th January 2008, 18:17
How about Wolfgang Seidel? ;)

markabilly
26th January 2008, 19:37
Not bad, but Hulkenberg has that mythical warrior giant ring to it. :vader:
hulk??

but is he green....

jens
26th January 2008, 20:01
Among the upcoming generation drivers like Hülkenberg, Grosjean and Asmer are those, who I'd most like to see in F1 next year as Grand Prix drivers.