PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Passat Security

AndySpeed
10th January 2007, 18:59
Last night my uncle had his new-ish Volkswagen Passat broken into and the thiefs stole various items from his car including the tax disc, glove box contents etc.

They left all the windows undone in the car overnight on a night when it poured with rain and it seems this is how they got into the car without using any force.

There have also been reports that 15 other cars in the area were broken into that night - all Passat's.

Does anyone know of the issue that is allowing thiefs with the correct equipment to break into these cars effortlessly? Seems a little bit ridiculous to me.

speedy king
10th January 2007, 19:15
Errrr... my dad has just ordered one :s Bit worrying :s

Woodeye
10th January 2007, 19:33
So it seems that the thieves knew how to get into Passats and left the other cars untouched. That doesn't necessary mean that it is easy for other fellas practising this great job to broke into Passats.

But on the other hand, when I still had my VW Polo some gentlemen decided to broke into that also. But not only my Polo, but all the other VW's in the same car shelter also.

So maybe it's not only Passat, but all the VW's to that matter that are easy to broke into... :p

martinbalmer
10th January 2007, 19:44
They left all the windows undone in the car overnight on a night when it poured with rain and it seems this is how they got into the car without using any force.

Was this consistent with the other cases, do you know?

odykas
10th January 2007, 19:51
Traditionally ugly and now insecure!

It's obvious that I hate VW :p :

CarlMetro
10th January 2007, 19:57
Well I've had mine since November and had no problems with it so far. The only thing I can think of is that the frequency which works the central locking is easy to work out as they only have one exteral lock and no actual key. The again, it's only on the base model that an alarm, complete with pressure sensors, isn't fitted as standard.

janneppi
10th January 2007, 20:11
Apparently some, if not all VAG produced cars are easy to get into because there is a tool to remove the lock witout alarm going off. Friend of mine was playing footie with his friends 50 meters of a car that was broken into using the tool and they didn't notice it.

AndySpeed
10th January 2007, 21:22
Was this consistent with the other cases, do you know?

Upon phoning the garage to inquire about having the security issue sorted, the garage had to explain that he wasn't the first one to call about that issue this morning.

And, no, the alarm didn't go off.

Seems it all happened in the Thorpe st Andrew area of Norwich - so if you're about norwich with a Passat beware!

speedy king
10th January 2007, 22:23
....so thats me then Andy lol

Dazz9908
10th January 2007, 22:32
IS it a fun world we now live in. Full of trust .

Hope they catch these guys that doing it. And VW should recall the Passat and fix this flaw.

Daniel
11th January 2007, 09:04
So let me get this right. People left their windows open and blame Volkswagen for people breaking into their cars? :confused: Did the thieves leave the windows open or did the owners?

AndySpeed
11th January 2007, 09:48
So let me get this right. People left their windows open and blame Volkswagen for people breaking into their cars? :confused: Did the thieves leave the windows open or did the owners?

The thiefs left the windows open after finding a way in through a problem with VW's security that allowed them to do so using no force at all!

Daniel
11th January 2007, 09:49
Ok no problems. You didn't state it explicitly in the first post that's all :)

Storm
11th January 2007, 11:22
Right I thought the same as you Dan ( :erm: thats not good !) that the owners left the windows open for some reason :p :

How about VW Passat station wagons?

martinbalmer
11th January 2007, 11:44
There is this posted on the Internet, although not much has been said:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4006

speedy king
13th January 2007, 14:32
Apparently the previous model of Passat (up to 05) all you had to do was take a hammer to the drivers door lock in one sharp hit and it would set the central locking off, no alarm...hey presto....5 laptops taken from 5 Passats at a company meeting... :s