PDA

View Full Version : Ouninpohja out of 2008 Rally Finland

gloomyDAY
19th January 2008, 03:34
What?! Talk about destroying the WRC. :grenade:

Awful decision. (http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=119&desc=Ouninpohja%20out%20of%202008%20Rally%20Finlan d)

tmx
19th January 2008, 04:05
not as bad as having no finland in 2009 at all.

no le mans 24 hours as part of the le mans series would be funny.

gloomyDAY
19th January 2008, 05:41
not as bad as having no finland in 2009 at all.

I didn't even think of 2009! Now I'm more mad.

Imagine the board meeting at the FIA:

Curly moustache man – Let’s improve the WRC.

Big nosed jerk – No problem. Let’s make things safer by taking away iconic stages. Therefore, fans can appreciate a boring rally. Today's elite drivers cannot cope with the stresses of classic rallies.

Curly moustache man – I have an even better idea. We should remove rallies that have been around for decades and put them on the back burner.

Big nosed jerk – Yeah, the fans can go to hell. We don't need any suggestions from those plebes that attend our sport. They don’t know what is best for the WRC.

ste898
19th January 2008, 09:15
I thpught the WRC could'nt get any more boring..........and I thought the 1000 Lakes bosses would have more sense!!!

Tomi
19th January 2008, 09:53
and I thought the 1000 Lakes bosses would have more sense!!!

Actually it was not up to them, the pressure about the speed of the stage was again the reason and if split the stage it looses it's character anyway, but no reason to worry, there is many good stages there that can replace Ouninpohja.

ste898
19th January 2008, 10:28
So it was the 'I dont have a clue I sit behind a desk all day' FIA muppets that made the decision?

Tomi
19th January 2008, 10:32
So it was the 'I dont have a clue I sit behind a desk all day' FIA muppets that made the decision?

yes, its because of the 130 km/hour speed rule it's out.

ste898
19th January 2008, 10:44
ahhh somehow that does'nt suprise me........they must sit there and think now what can we do to ruin WRC today then????

jiipee64
19th January 2008, 11:09
As sad I am to see Ouninpohja change I also must say that I sort of understand the reasons why it must change. This Year the drivers said that it was "too" fast. I think If they think so it is better do something now than cry later. I've been on that stage maybe 25 times and it's not always been in this road we've seen in later years. That region is the heart of finnish rallying. There are plenty of exiting alternative roads there.

The "rollercoast" part will go. The competitors averaged 180 kph + on that section and boy.... that is fast. I'd hate to see anyone having a puncture there...

DonJippo
19th January 2008, 12:03
As sad I am to see Ouninpohja change I also must say that I sort of understand the reasons why it must change. This Year the drivers said that it was "too" fast. I think If they think so it is better do something now than cry later.

:up: I agree and this was a wise decision as some parts of the stage has become way too fast.

Lousada
19th January 2008, 13:55

The 24 hours of Le Mans is not part of the Le Mans Series....

gloomyDAY
20th January 2008, 17:57
:up: I agree and this was a wise decision as some parts of the stage has become way too fast.Isn't that part of the reason why we watch the WRC. The sense of risk at every stage is the reason drivers are being paid high salarys, then, they can take highly strung cars to the edge. At least that is what keeps me mystified.

I say it's a bad call to remove Ouninpohja.

jparker
20th January 2008, 18:37
Isn't that part of the reason why we watch the WRC. The sense of risk at every stage is the reason drivers are being paid high salarys, then, they can take highly strung cars to the edge. At least that is what keeps me mystified.

I say it's a bad call to remove Ouninpohja.

I think you have misunderstood what Motorsport is all about.
10 days ago Jacky Steward appeared on Canadian TV show called The Hour.
Here is what he said about Motorsport and safety.

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1885

c4
20th January 2008, 19:42
Going off topic slightly, see RI's sporting director is COC for Finland this year.
http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/en/headlines/news/detail/080116151554.shtml

Tomi
20th January 2008, 20:02
Going off topic slightly, see RI's sporting director is COC for Finland this year.
http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/en/headlines/news/detail/080116151554.shtml

Maybe Risto Laine is going back to lead the Suzuki team ;)

gloomyDAY
20th January 2008, 21:08
I think you have misunderstood what Motorsport is all about.
10 days ago Jacky Steward appeared on Canadian TV show called The Hour.
Here is what he said about Motorsport and safety.

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1885No, I completely understand the sport. I don't watch motorsports to see people die. I watch it to see drivers showcasing their skills of car control.

I respect JYS, but this isn't F1. We're talking about the WRC, which is a sport in a different league. I guess that my apprehension to change is that there might be more tinkering that can harm the sport. Hasn't anyone heard of the saying, "If it isn't broken, then don't fix it."

J4MIE
20th January 2008, 22:10
I agree with DJ :up: Now don't get me wrong, I go to rallies all the time and see cars going quickly, but Finland and especially Ouninpohja is a level above anything else that I have ever seen.

There are other stages that they can use.

A.F.F.
20th January 2008, 23:12
Fanwise it's a bad call. Ouninpohja used to suck all the spectators on saturday and leave more space to other stages. Now those about a million who used to hang out at yellow house jump are blocking my view elsewhere :down:

:p :

Tomi
20th January 2008, 23:16
Fanwise it's a bad call. Ouninpohja used to suck all the spectators on saturday and leave more space to other stages. Now those about a million who used to hang out at yellow house jump are blocking my view elsewhere :down:

:p :

Dont worry they go to Kakaristo.

tmx
21st January 2008, 03:13
The 24 hours of Le Mans is not part of the Le Mans Series....
ok my bad. i completely stopped watching circuit racing after 2001 so i dont know anything about it anymore.