PDA

View Full Version : MCCLURE Shop CLOSED UP

youtellme
13th January 2008, 18:20
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=txmorganmcclureclosed&prov=st&type=lgns

Osella
13th January 2008, 18:29
That's a sad thing.

Unfortunately I think that the rest of NASCAR overtook them technically, and they kept on blaming the drivers so they never moved forward. If they had partnered with another team like Hendrick or Gibbs it probably would have worked better for them.

Looks like Yates/Wood brothers might be in the same situation before too long..

RaceFanStan
14th January 2008, 14:11
It's the familiar story of no sponsorship. :s

Morgan-McClure Motorsports was a force to be reckoned with in the 90's.
They won 3 coveted Daytona 500's, 2 of them back-to-back (with Sterling Marlin at the wheel).
Morgan-McClure Motorsports completes 25 years of NASCAR Cup history.
Their stats includes 14 wins*, 63 top-5's, 146 top-10's and 13 poles.

*Morgan-McClure Motorsports Winning Drivers :
1990 to 1993, Ernie Irvan ~ 7 wins (1 of them the 1991 Daytona 500)
1994 to 1996, Sterling Marlin ~ 6 wins (1994 & 1995 Daytona 500 back-to-back wins)
1998, Bobby Hamilton ~ 1 win

Larry McClure, Team Manager said, "We will continue to search for sponsorship ...
and if something becomes available, we have the cars ready to go to Daytona ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/spanner.gif

Lee Roy
14th January 2008, 14:28
I wonder how much of the Morgan-McLure Team's problems have to do with their decision to keep their team in Virginia. The Wood Brothers and Petty Enterprises both gave in and relocated to the Charlotte area.

Jonesi
14th January 2008, 22:09
I wonder how much of the Morgan-McLure Team's problems have to do with their decision to keep their team in Virginia. The Wood Brothers and Petty Enterprises both gave in and relocated to the Charlotte area.

I'm sure a bit, especially now that they MUST get the CoT teched in Charlotte, midway through the build process (and I think after x amount of race damage). Also one car teams are at a significant disadvantage.

muggle not
15th January 2008, 00:38
Regardless of the reason it is sad to see another one of the older teams not make a go of it. In today's world you gotta be one of the big boys to compete for a full season.

tstran17_88
15th January 2008, 02:38
Well...can't say I didn't see this one coming. They've been barely treading water for years.

BobbyC
18th January 2008, 03:32
This might be the break for Tony Stewart. I think this could be Tony's opportunity to buy (at least majority interest) the team and return to Chevy in 2009 with TSR.

Nick Brad
22nd January 2008, 21:56
It may be a possibility, although will he want the hassle of trying to make the team successful again? After all, he owns a dirt track now so his post racing career is already taken care of.

BobbyC
2nd February 2008, 03:16
It may be a possibility, although will he want the hassle of trying to make the team successful again? After all, he owns a dirt track now so his post racing career is already taken care of.

Chevrolet wants him back in their camp in Sprint Cup. They will do anything to get him in that Bowtie, and this might be the ticket.