PDA

View Full Version : Gripe with Mario Theissen?

gloomyDAY
11th January 2008, 15:03
A lot of people on this board dislike the chap. My question is, why?

I bet Williams has something to do with the sour grapes around here.

Bagwan
11th January 2008, 15:15
Start with the fact that he screwed a former WDC out of his seat .

SGWilko
11th January 2008, 15:34

I do not like the guy because, in the final year of it's association with Williams, BMW appeared to make a very good job of screwing Franks team over.

I suspect it was a petty and vain attempt to make (BMW) them look better when they took over Sauber.

I mean, the BMW was ALWAYS a powerhouse, and the electronics at BMW have always been good.

Not so in that final year with Williams.

dime3
11th January 2008, 15:35
I have no problem with him. He is doing a fantastic job and you can’t argue with his results so far.

Course they are talking up their chances of getting in among the Ferraris and the Mclarens this season – don’t see it happening yet myself.

ioan
11th January 2008, 15:52
I have no problem with him. He is doing a fantastic job and you can’t argue with his results so far.

Agreed!

jens
11th January 2008, 15:53
Actually for me Dr. Mario is the favourite team principal.

The team operates perfectly and in the right direction. They keep low profile and don't hype themselves, just silently do their work without propaganda. I have even heard that some call them boring, but for me that shows their professionalism. The athmosphere in the team looks consistent and positive. They have hired the right people and don't try to snatch so-called stars, who come free on the market and who might destabilize the team (for example Theissen even didn't attempt to hire Alonso). Villeneuve was probably a "star" too and that wasn't needed for BMW. As a result of keeping low profile the team is one of the most underrated teams in F1 (Toyota is another such 'silent' team with the difference that alas they don't operate so effectively).

However, the whole stuff makes BMW one of the most likeable teams for me.

SGWilko
11th January 2008, 16:11
Actually for me Dr. Mario is the favourite team principal.

The team operates perfectly and in the right direction. They keep low profile and don't hype themselves, just silently do their work without propaganda. I have even heard that some call them boring, but for me that shows their professionalism. The athmosphere in the team looks consistent and positive. They have hired the right people and don't try to snatch so-called stars, who come free on the market and who might destabilize the team (for example Theissen even didn't attempt to hire Alonso). Villeneuve was probably a "star" too and that wasn't needed for BMW. As a result of keeping low profile the team is one of the most underrated teams in F1 (Toyota is another such 'silent' team with the difference that alas they don't operate so effectively).

However, the whole stuff makes BMW one of the most likeable teams for me.

Fair comment, all makes sense.

I think a lot of the 'boring, sensible no-nonsense' talk is borne of the Sauber years. Now, Peter really is a nice guy.

Anyway, now BMW are the real deal, Mario's neck is on the line, if he talks it up, and does not deliver, the suits back in wherever will toss him aside in the blink of an eye.........

Tazio
11th January 2008, 16:22
Agreed!
He also seems (at least in the interviews I've seen of him) that he really enjoys his work!

trumperZ06
11th January 2008, 16:35

:D : B I N G O !!! :D :

;) A lot of people here were unhappy over the relationship between Williams & BMW... even though Williams was struggling wih their Chassis design.

Then, after BMW aquired Sauber... JV didn't fit into Theissen's long term plans... and was moved out.

Fortunately, BMW's Results speak for themselves now that BMW has moved up into a contender.

SGWilko
11th January 2008, 16:39
:D : B I N G O !!! :D :

Top of the shop.......blind 90

Hope you've also got a raffle ticket, you might be on a roll..... :rotflmao:

3Focus
11th January 2008, 17:31
Hate him and always will for the way he treated JV. A disgrace.

janneppi
11th January 2008, 20:19

As you can see, it's the really only Villeneuve and Williams people who have a chip on their shoulders, once you remember who they are, you can filter it out. ;)

SGWilko
11th January 2008, 20:33
As you can see, it's the really only Villeneuve and Williams people who have a chip on their shoulders, once you remember who they are, you can filter it out. ;)

Ha ha ha ha ha........etc. :dozey:

Valve Bounce
11th January 2008, 22:32
There were serious conflicts between Williams and BMW long before they dissociated. I suspect that BMW wanted control of the team and Frank resisted.

markabilly
12th January 2008, 14:49
My only issue, is that he had a chance to get FA, still in his prime, who tied LH in points, who would have been a consecutive three-time WDC except for the antics of a certain treammate at Hungary and that is a driver that would provide team BMW with no excuse for not challenging for victories and championships rather than hoping for podium finishes.

And clearly would have put this team as a challenger to Mac and Ferrari, instead of worrying about keeping renault behind.

Oh yes, if you want to believe what some other sour grape brits around here say, it might upset "team chemistry" like he did at renault while beating MS and his ferrari with his renault, or almost taking another with MAc, whenever he was unhappy about dominanting everyone.

Instead, they will have happy faces with what they got for drivers, and celebrate all the third place finishes whenever they can get one or two on the season.

pity, it will be when BMW finds itself being leapfrogged over by FA and Renault, battling to keep Red Cow, Team India or Honda/super agri from beating them.........just so they can maintain all important "team chemistry"

Malbec
12th January 2008, 15:38
They have hired the right people and don't try to snatch so-called stars, who come free on the market and who might destabilize the team (for example Theissen even didn't attempt to hire Alonso).

I think a lot of that is to do with marketing.

If BMW wins with Heidfeld or Kubica, neither of whom being household names outside Germany or Poland, then public perception will be that the car won and not the driver.

However if they had hired the likes of Alonso, Kimi or Hamilton then the media and public emphasis would be on the driver winning, not the car.

Given the hype going on about Button in the past few years in the UK I did notice that a lot of non-F1 fans knew about him winning in Hungary but couldn't name the team he was driving for. Some even thought he was still racing for Williams. I think thats the kind of scenario BMW is trying to avoid.

Malbec
12th January 2008, 15:42
I think a lot of the 'boring, sensible no-nonsense' talk is borne of the Sauber years. Now, Peter really is a nice guy.

Anyway, now BMW are the real deal, Mario's neck is on the line, if he talks it up, and does not deliver, the suits back in wherever will toss him aside in the blink of an eye.........

I agree, I found Theissen's behaviour with Williams rather difficult to fathom. If Williams win its because it has a BMW engine in it. If it loses its because the chassis was too poor.

Yet his behaviour at BMW/Sauber has been relatively understated and difficult to criticise, perhaps because he no longer has a partner to blame and has therefore had to shoulder the responsibility of running the team himself.

markabilly
12th January 2008, 16:22

If BMW wins with Heidfeld or Kubica, neither of whom being household names outside Germany or Poland, then public perception will be that the car won and not the driver.

However if they had hired the likes of Alonso, Kimi or Hamilton then the media and public emphasis would be on the driver winning, not the car.

Given the hype going on about Button in the past few years in the UK I did notice that a lot of non-F1 fans knew about him winning in Hungary but couldn't name the team he was driving for. Some even thought he was still racing for Williams. I think thats the kind of scenario BMW is trying to avoid.

No doubt, more truth to this then what will ever come from the lips of the corporate world of BMW

Demonstrating all too well about the point i was trying to make in the thread about RD and Mercedes clashing and consistent with the corporate view that we are in racing to sell cars...

And also demonstrating that not many fans really care about who wins the wcc. I can list most or all wdc winners in order from 1950 or so to present, but as to their cars they drove, name only some-- and even more, as what team has won the WCC from the begginning to the present, I don't know and could care less.....

Malbec
12th January 2008, 17:49
Demonstrating all too well about the point i was trying to make in the thread about RD and Mercedes clashing and consistent with the corporate view that we are in racing to sell cars...

Mercedes are interesting because they are the only manufacturer in F1 to still retain the traditional relationship between makers and teams.

They don't gain as much in publicity compared to manufacturer teams like Renault, Ferrari or BMW when they win (especially when the drivers are Hamilton and Alonso) but then again they don't lose as much when times are bad.

I bet a lot of people in the real world (ie non-F1 fans) can recall McLaren being punished with a $100 million fine for cheating but I bet not many will recall Mercedes being involved.

Roamy
12th January 2008, 18:19

Well Duh !!
Sure we hate him and for good reason - He is POS and will take over that role as No 1 as soon as Dennis leaves.

BMW is NOT a contender and will NOT be a contender.

In the coming season I look for Williams and Renault to move past them and possibly Red Bull. MT is a arrogant self serving prix.

Osella
12th January 2008, 19:02
Well Duh !!
Sure we hate him and for good reason ... MT is a arrogant self serving prix.

Then perhaps Villeneuve had to go because they were too similar....

Valve Bounce
12th January 2008, 21:44
I Given the hype going on about Button in the past few years in the UK I did notice that a lot of non-F1 fans knew about him winning in Hungary but couldn't name the team he was driving for. .

Yes they could!! everone knew it was Midlands. :p :

ShiftingGears
12th January 2008, 22:03

But then again, if they keep winning grands prix people will know the brand name.

Ranger
12th January 2008, 22:56

The moustache. That thing is pretty seedy. :p :