PDA

View Full Version : Now they like the COT

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th January 2008, 13:48
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/01/09/test.daytona.drafting/index.html

Lee Roy
10th January 2008, 17:40
Just remember, that story is reported on the "NASCAR" website.

Nicholas Morse
10th January 2008, 19:10
NASCAR and NASCAR.com have nothing to do w/ each other in terms of administration and who is calling the shots.

NASCAR.com is run by Time Warner and they own the rights to report soley on NASCAR, hence NASCAR.com. NASCAR.com can write anything they want about NASCAR because NASCAR isn't in there leaning over their shoulders about how they are portrayed. NASCAR has no call on that.

-Nic

cesar@goCESARgo.com
10th January 2008, 21:04
NASCAR and NASCAR.com have nothing to do w/ each other in terms of administration and who is calling the shots.

NASCAR.com is run by Time Warner and they own the rights to report soley on NASCAR

I believe the point is that the drivers are indicating that they are now liking the the new car,
as compared to the disdain which was shown last year.
The teams have had 16 races to find ways to make them better.
NASCAR changed the rules on the new car based on performances they saw at the COT races last season.
Now that the drivers have had time to get used to the car,
and set it up in a way that is both legal and comfortable for them,
it isn't a big surprise that they are beginning to accept and like their new rides.

----------------------------------------------
Cesar - http://www.gocesargo.com/index.php/

Sparky1329
10th January 2008, 22:41
The drivers know better than to flap their lips in any negative way abot anything NASCAR does. NASCAR would whip out the Robby Gordon Rule Book on them. :D

tassiedevilAB
11th January 2008, 08:41
The drivers know better than to flap their lips in any negative way abot anything NASCAR does. NASCAR would whip out the Robby Gordon Rule Book on them. :D

I like that Sparky, that is a good quote !!!!!!!!!!

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
11th January 2008, 12:32
How come every time a driver says something positive about the way things are going with the COT or NASCAR in general they are branded a "NASCAR mouthpiece". And the report did also say that some drivers have concerns about some aspects of the car. Like the wings and tyres.

Lee Roy
11th January 2008, 14:14
How come every time a driver says something positive about the way things are going with the COT or NASCAR in general they are branded a "NASCAR mouthpiece".

If you hang around long enough you will notice that, no matter what happens, fans on the internet love to whine and complain. If the drivers don't whine and complain also, they are labeled "NASCAR mouthpieces".

It's just the way things are.

wedge
11th January 2008, 14:14
There's always a period where you get lots of moaning from rule changes.

A similar thing in F1 - there was support for grooved tyres in the late 90s. When they tested and raced those tyres there was a lot of moaning because it increased the danger (very unstable under braking) but not so much nowadays because everyone know its the rules that they have to play by and know how to set the cars up.

Sparky1329
11th January 2008, 17:08
I like that Sparky, that is a good quote !!!!!!!!!!

Only because it's true, tassie. ;)

call_me_andrew
12th January 2008, 07:28
How come every time a driver says something positive about the way things are going with the COT or NASCAR in general they are branded a "NASCAR mouthpiece". And the report did also say that some drivers have concerns about some aspects of the car. Like the wings and tyres.

It's not just when they say something positive. It's when they say something positive AFTER something negative.

wedge
12th January 2008, 14:36
The drivers mentioned that the COT cars are better at bump-drafting but they only tested in small packs. I'm still wondering whether we'll see less of the long single file trains?

Sparky1329
13th January 2008, 05:32
One important thing commented on during testing is about the tail-end Charlies. Some drivers said that hanging in the back in the back of the field puts one at serious risk of losing the draft fairly easily. That could result in a change for those who sit back and ride around until 20 laps to go.

call_me_andrew
13th January 2008, 21:00
One important thing commented on during testing is about the tail-end Charlies. Some drivers said that hanging in the back in the back of the field puts one at serious risk of losing the draft fairly easily. That could result in a change for those who sit back and ride around until 20 laps to go.

That's why they usually form their own mini-pack at the back. Remember last fall at Talladega when the field broke into 3 packs at the start of the race.

There was one point about 50 laps into the race when Junior was in the lead and the whole field was just running single file. A lot of people called that boring and blamed the COT, but I've taken some time to think about it, and it's not the COT. It's just the nature of plate racing. Anyone could have attempted to pass and gain a few spots, but the risks of going to the back and possibly being caught in a wreck did not outweigh the potential rewards. There was just no urgency in anything going on at the time.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
14th January 2008, 12:21
I dont think it was the COT that was to blame last time at Dega either. I think the new surface a Dega has been a big factor. I think it was the first race there with the new black stuff down that Jr got up front and stayed on the high side and everyone just lined up behind him and didnt try and pass.

Dont they make deals anymore?. You know the "Co-opatition" thing.

RaceFanStan
14th January 2008, 12:56
What choice do the drivers have ????? http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

NASCAR has made the COT the Car Of TODAY ...
the drivers don't have a choice about what kind of car they are using ...
so the drivers & teams need to work on making their COT faster than their competitors ...
NASCAR has essentially made any driver that now complains appear a whiner. :s