PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Myths

Lee Roy
7th January 2008, 17:48
From David Poole.

http://turn-lane.blogspot.com/2008/01/examining-six-biggest-nascar-myths.html

RaceFanStan
7th January 2008, 20:44
I'll go in the same order that David Poole did in his article.
==================================================
Myth No. 6
Racing just isn’t like it was in the “good old days” and that is killing the sport.
Over the years the cars got faster than the “good old days”.
Another thing is that more teams got closer to the same level of competition.
On any given race weekend at any given track,
there will be at least 15 drivers that have a legitimate opportunity to win the race ...
(IMO the most successful drivers will have TEAM-MATES, being a part of a big team is a must !)

I don't lament for the “good old days” because actually the competition level is better now.

I can't see things changing as being a threat to NASCAR & the “good old days” are just history.
Myth No. 5
NASCAR’s new fans are killing the sport for its longtime fans.
NASCAR fans are of all ages & their time of being a fan differs & is unimportant.
I can remember seeing DW race back when he was winning Championships ...
I remember seeing DW, Earnhardt, Tim, Davey & Neil race when they were true contenders for wins.
Sometimes it was like losing old friends even though I had never met any of them.

Does me being a long-time fan of NASCAR give me more value as a fan ?
No, it doesn't.
(One good thing with being a long-time fan is we remember seeing things that new fans can only read about.)

Every fan is entitled to have an opinion, no matter how long he or she has been a fan.
I can't see the "new fans" as being a threat to NASCAR.
Myth No. 4
Open-wheel racers are killing stock-car racing by taking away rides.
I'm not a big fan of the open-wheel drivers STARTING in Cup.
I think it would be better for the Cup "regulars" & the open-wheel converts
to learn the ins & outs of stockcars in a lesser series & THEN move-up to Cup.

However I can't see the open-wheel drivers as being a threat to NASCAR.
Myth No. 3
The Chase for the Cup is killing the sport.
I am not a fan of the Chase & I doubt that I ever will be.
I would prefer the driver's ENTIRE season determine the Championship.
I feel turning the Championship into a 10 race "play-off" cheapens NASCAR.

However I can't see the Chase as being a threat to NASCAR.
(There are some people that really like the Chase but I'm NOT 1 of them.) :s
Myth No. 2
The lack of personality among NASCAR drivers is killing the sport.
Several drivers have personality, NASCAR tries to keep the more personable drivers in line ...
I would like to see things get more aggresive on the track & in the pits ... ;)
I really think NASCAR should turn some drivers loose ...
I enjoy seeing a driver rant when he is upset ...
I enjoyed seeing Jeff Gordon shove Matt Kenseth ...
I also enjoyed seeing Carl Edwards get in Matt Kenseth's face ...

That being said, I can't see "political correctness" as being a threat to NASCAR.
Myth No. 1
The top-35 rule is killing the sport’s smaller teams.
The smaller teams will usually be the SLOWER teams.
If the number of drivers "locked-into the field" is reduced to say 25 or 30 ...
the number of provisionals would be increased ...
IF greater importance is placed on qualifying, the big teams will be the most likely to succeed ...
it would be the same thing, just done differently, the smaller team cars would still go home ...

I can't see the top-35 rule as being a threat to NASCAR.
The opinions shown above are MINE.
David Poole listed the myths.
To see David Poole's opinions, click the link in the 1st post.
Just so you know, for the most part I agree with David Poole.

I think a lot of people are doom & gloomers trying to say NASCAR will fall ...
if the truth was known they probably secretly wish it would happen.
Trust me, NASCAR failing just AIN'T going to happen ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

R. Mears
8th January 2008, 07:27
This Poole guy is full of ship!! Extremely biased.

Lee Roy
8th January 2008, 10:54
This Poole guy is full of ship!! Extremely biased.

I think if you've read much of Poole's stuff you will find that he's probably the most even handed NASCAR reporter out there. He isn't afraid to criticize NASCAR as he often does, but then he's not the kind of reporter to do nothing but whine and complain like so many other NASCAR reporters do, such as Mulhern and Ben Blake.

I happen to agree with a lot of what Poole wrote in that article. I'm always highly amused that the previously pilloried NASCAR points system that everyone whined incessantly about is now referred to as "Classic". Amazing.

Sparky1329
8th January 2008, 19:50
I agree with David on most of the things he detailed but I have my own thoughts on the points sytem. The old system was definitely flawed but the fix for it wasn't The Chase. I didn't see any improvement in the TV or attendance numbers for The Chase segment of races. In fact they got worse.

R. Mears
10th January 2008, 14:18
I happen to agree with a lot of what Poole wrote in that article. I'm always highly amused that the previously pilloried NASCAR points system that everyone whined incessantly about is now referred to as "Classic". Amazing.
I also agree with some of what Poole said, but it just sounds like he's trying to promote the "new" chase system as the best thing since sliced bread. I don't care for it just the same as when they instituted it.

Perhaps many that complained about the "old system" didn't realize how good it was till it was gone?

Either way we're stuck with it like it or not. For me I don't follow NASCAR as close as I used to because of this. Just for the record I don't care for the COT cars either. Just my 2c worth.

dime3
11th January 2008, 15:51
Perhaps many that complained about the "old system" didn't realize how good it was till it was gone?

Either way we're stuck with it like it or not. For me I don't follow NASCAR as close as I used to because of this. Just for the record I don't care for the COT cars either. Just my 2c worth.
Excactly! As so oftens happens those that push for change are often the ones that complain when things get changed.

muggle not
12th January 2008, 02:43
I agree with David on most of the things he detailed but I have my own thoughts on the points sytem. The old system was definitely flawed but the fix for it wasn't The Chase. I didn't see any improvement in the TV or attendance numbers for The Chase segment of races. In fact they got worse.
In a poll taken here in the heart of nascar the majority of fans did not like the Chase. I better be careful though of what I post or some will call me a whiner. I love Nascar but I don't like what the current people are doing with it.

Sparky1329
12th January 2008, 02:55
In a poll taken here in the heart of nascar the majority of fans did not like the Chase. I better be careful though of what I post or some will call me a whiner. I love Nascar but I don't like what the current people are doing with it.

That doesn't surprise me. Whining, schmining....the Chase improved nothing.

call_me_andrew
12th January 2008, 07:57
There's some good points and some bad points. It's a little hard to define when the "good old days" where because that means different things to different people. To me the "good old days" are 1996-2002. To someone else it could be the 80's, 70's, 60's, or 50's.

I'm not saying that the Chase is going to kill NASCAR, I'm just saying that the old system was better. The old system wasn't the best. I believe I posted the best on this forum a few weeks ago (pause for ego stroke).

I think the biggest problem is NASCAR itself. It's a for profit buisness that (like all other buisness) wants to make as much money as it can. Attaining money is not in the interest of racing. Racing isn't about pleasing spectators, it's about dare devils trying figure out which macine can go the fastest. In racing, like in life, the arrival of money just makes things all mixed up and confusing.

R. Mears
12th January 2008, 12:31
Nah you have to be Jeff Gordon to be labeled a whiner. Everyone elses comments are just considered legitiimate concerns.

muggle not
12th January 2008, 15:28
Nah you have to be Jeff Gordon to be labeled a whiner. Everyone elses comments are just considered legitiimate concerns.
Your spelling needs improved. I believe you meant "Winner" instead of "Whiner" when mentioning Jeff Gordon. :p

Lee Roy
13th January 2008, 13:49
Your spelling needs improved. I believe you meant "Winner" instead of "Whiner" when mentioning Jeff Gordon. :p

Amen!!!

Lee Roy
13th January 2008, 13:50
In a poll taken here in the heart of nascar the majority of fans did not like the Chase. I better be careful though of what I post or some will call me a whiner.

And be careful if you post something that is not critical of everything NASCAR does or some people will call you a NASCAR Lackey. ;) :D

R. Mears
13th January 2008, 16:31
That the exact same thing I tell all the Jeff Gordon haters.

Unless it's Tony Stewart, then it cause he's PO'd. I like Tony too. He came from CART(yahoo)and he's a winner too.

tstran17_88
15th January 2008, 02:33
I think if you've read much of Poole's stuff you will find that he's probably the most even handed NASCAR reporter out there. He isn't afraid to criticize NASCAR as he often does, but then he's not the kind of reporter to do nothing but whine and complain like so many other NASCAR reporters do, such as Mulhern and Ben Blake.

I like reading Poole's articles too. I think the only other writer that has as much respect as David is Monte Dutton. Mulhern should be reporting for the National Enquirer.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
15th January 2008, 10:46
One thing i dont get is i remember seeing Poole on NASCAR Now along with Marty Smith and a couple of others (Jeff Burton i think) a few months ago and duing that interview/dicussion didnt he say he didnt like the chase niether did fans and NASCAR should listen. So now hes changed his mind?

Lee Roy
15th January 2008, 10:55
So now hes changed his mind?

I don't think he's changed his mind per se. I think he's arguring for argument's sake. Trying to show some of the lack of logic and reality in some people's reasoning for why they don't like things.

Like me, he's highly amused that the former point's system which people always claimed to hate is now referred to as "Classic".

It's fine to not like things that change, there are many things that change that I don't like. But people should be intellecutally honest with themselves and not just climb on the latest complaining bandwagon.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
15th January 2008, 14:17
Like me, he's highly amused that the former point's system which people always claimed to hate is now referred to as "Classic".

Most people will admit that the old systems wasnt perfect and would have changed it. But most people wouldnt have implimented the chase, they would have just rewarded the winner more.

Lee Roy
15th January 2008, 15:41
Most people will admit that the old systems wasnt perfect and would have changed it. But most people wouldnt have implimented the chase, they would have just rewarded the winner more.

And when a driver had a long winning streak and wrapped up the championship in mid-September due to the winner getting more points than before, the ones calling for more points to the winner would suddenly forget that they were calling for such a change. They would suddenly be longing for the "Classic Points System" again.

call_me_andrew
16th January 2008, 04:42
Well that depends on the driver. If it's Junior getting all those wins, they'll think this is the greatest point system ever. If it's Gordon or Johson, they'll think it's the worst idea ever.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
16th January 2008, 09:47
And when a driver had a long winning streak and wrapped up the championship in mid-September due to the winner getting more points than before, the ones calling for more points to the winner would suddenly forget that they were calling for such a change. They would suddenly be longing for the "Classic Points System" again.

Thats true. Has anyone ever spoken to a fan that liked the chase?. i dont think ive ever seen anyone say its a good system. well apart from Mr France.

Lee Roy
16th January 2008, 10:54
Thats true. Has anyone ever spoken to a fan that liked the chase?. i dont think ive ever seen anyone say its a good system. well apart from Mr France.

No one liked the points system before, no one likes the chase, and no one would like any other system that NASCAR would have changed to.

Do I like the Chase? Not really, but I'm not going to waste tons of band width complaining about it. But then I've seen a number of different points systems in my time as a NASCAR fan. Richard Petty won his 7 championships under 5 different points systems.

Galveston dunes
16th January 2008, 18:02
As with life everything changes. For the better or not is just a matter of opinion [in my opinion].
With the changing of times in the past 10 years there are some things I don't get nor will I ever understand thier oragin.However there are a great many things that have made my life easier as well as better.
Is it wrong or will the new generation fail; Only time will tell- however I think not.Like NASCAR or not Its still the best racing in the world;IMO.