PDA

View Full Version : Dakar 2008 cancelled

ProRally
4th January 2008, 11:45
According to lots of sources, Dakar 2008 cancelled.
ASO will give press conference at 13.00 h in Lisbon....

janneppi
4th January 2008, 11:54
Apparently it's because there is a terrorist threat in Mauritania where four French tourists were killed last month. I guess it's too late to change the course to go around Mauritania then?

Daniel
4th January 2008, 11:54
I was just going to post this :(

Sulland
4th January 2008, 12:01
http://www.dakar.com/indexus.html

Sad for all competitors loosing a lot of money, and for us loosing out on the spectacle !

tmx
4th January 2008, 12:13
i dont watch darkar rally, but maybe they could have shorten the length of the rally.

WelshLegend
4th January 2008, 12:13
What a shame this is, I thought Sainz would have won it this year aswell.

Tom206wrc
4th January 2008, 12:17
Sad I was expecting interesting battle between Mitsubishi and Volkswagen :(

But if "god mad" islam activists are planning terrorist attacks in the region, it's normal to take care of safety for the participants...

shurik
4th January 2008, 12:25
That's really bad news :( This may lead to serious reconsiderations of Dakar 09 route as well.. Maybe it's time revive Paris-Beijing rally for some period?

Sulland
4th January 2008, 12:29
They should have been able to get a short version going. A lot of money down the drain for many...

Grant_RSA
4th January 2008, 12:37
its a really sad!

The financial loss for the competitors, as well as the people on the route, from what i understand they do benefit from the rally passing through their countries! Wonder if the terrorists take that into consideration.

There has been security issues for many years now, one would expect the organisers to have contingency plans in place to divert the race somewhere else. This may be very expensive to do, but i doubt it will be as expensive having to cancel!

I fear this could be the end of the Dakar! :-(

F1boat
4th January 2008, 12:39
This is really sad :( I hope that Dakar survives it.

Josti
4th January 2008, 13:04
They've could have at least shorten the Rally. So much time and money has been put in it and then 1 day before the start they announce this...

What a shame :(

koko0703
4th January 2008, 13:04
I'm always looking forward to seeing Dakar every year, so this is a very disappointing news to me. But given the circumstance, the organizers have made a very difficult but brave decision to cancel the event. I fully support the decision of the organizers, and hope to see a great race in 2009.

Josti
4th January 2008, 13:13
I'd say a free entry for the duped teams for next year?

MrJan
4th January 2008, 13:24
I'd imagine something would be worked out in regards to money, either that or there is a contract point that means the organisers can keep it. Remember that a lot of time, effort and money will have gone into this and it ain't their fault terrorists are a bit miffed.

ProRally
4th January 2008, 13:42
I'd imagine something would be worked out in regards to money, either that or there is a contract point that means the organisers can keep it. Remember that a lot of time, effort and money will have gone into this and it ain't their fault terrorists are a bit miffed.

But remember the entry for a bike/car/truck is between 3000 to 5000 euro, but then it is 10.000 euro per person !!! So a truck with 3 people onboard is 20.000 + euro, that is quite a lot to keep if the event is cancelled...

J4MIE
4th January 2008, 13:52
Incredible!! :eek: I was just looking forward to following it properly for the first time :\

J4MIE
4th January 2008, 14:02
After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - and, based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal's capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 24th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.'s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world's biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.
The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.

Source: http://www.dakar.com

I would imagine that the organisers really had no choice after receiving threats of this nature. It's a shame that it the decision has come so close to the start of the event but I guess it's the only one to take. I'm sure the competitors feel the same way. The statement from the organisers suggests they are not pleased either, think of all the work they have gone to to organise everything!

And let's not forget the spectators, media personnel and of course the locals in the areas that the rally visits :(

Let's hope that things improve for 2009...

Livewireshock
4th January 2008, 14:15
This is truely sad & unfortunate. I know that the ASO are acting in the best interests in the competitors. The threats were against the event itself. All competitiors & officials were at risk

Hopefully a 2009 Dakar can find a peaceful & quiet passage, whereever that may be.

J4MIE
4th January 2008, 14:21
I know that the ASO are acting in the best interests in the competitors. The threats were against the event itself. All competitiors & officials were at risk.

I think that is the case unfortunately. No doubt that this was taken into consideration in the organisation of the event but there is a limit to the amount of preparation that can be done.

What worries me is the same thing happening in, for instance, Jordan when the WRC gets there, though I imagine the risk is not so great (hopefully).

MAX_THRUST
4th January 2008, 14:26
Sorry fit guns to the cars and show terrorism/terroists we don't give a sh** and we will continue with our lives no matter how much they try to change our ways.

This is disgusting. I appreciate the need for caution, but this is motorsport you are more likely to die racing than you are by a terrorist. Lets get a grip!!!!

I'm basically really dissapointed. There will be alot of money lost this year because of this, and I believe it does have an effect on next years event. How can it not!!!!

J4MIE
4th January 2008, 14:38
Sorry fit guns to the cars and show terrorism/terroists we don't give a sh** and we will continue with our lives no matter how much they try to change our ways.

This is disgusting. I appreciate the need for caution, but this is motorsport you are more likely to die racing than you are by a terrorist. Lets get a grip!!!!

So, if you had organised this event and were responsible for the lives of countless competitors, organisers, marshals, spectators and lets not forget locals who could get caught up in it, would you let this event go ahead with a clear conscience despite (reportedly) having clear warnings from known (?) terrorist groups that the event would be targeted?

I'm basically really dissapointed. There will be alot of money lost this year because of this, and I believe it does have an effect on next years event. How can it not!!!!

Sure, I bet everyone involved in the Dakar is feeling very disappointed right now, but take a step back and look at the big picture.

Terrorism works.

Daniel
4th January 2008, 14:43

You fool. These people are competitors. Not soldiers.

At the end of the day it's JUST motorsport. If there is a known danger then the organisers have done the right thing and not risked anyone's life unnecessarily.

Brother John
4th January 2008, 15:19
Great news for me. :up: Hope this will be the end from DAKAR.
Mitsubishi, VW and others can put their millions in WRC. :s mokin: ;)

Sardalense
4th January 2008, 15:57
I was today at parc ferme, in Lisbon, and was very sad. I was at the exit of the press conference and some people were crying.

WRXedUSA
4th January 2008, 16:00
Cowardly move by the orgainzers.

Nothing like giving Al Qaeda a "moral victory"

I suppose ASO wanted to avert more potential problems (read: causalites) than what they have had stacking up in the past few years with spectators and competitors alike.

Western Africa has always been the "wild west", and in past year, oragnizers have re-routed the rally around countries of conflict. I know it's too late for organizers to recce and re-write the route, but if they are taking this action this year, expect next year to be cancelled as well. They gave Al Qaeda thier bone, now they will expect it, again, and again.

This rally is done. History.

Cowards.

Rani
4th January 2008, 16:07
Too bad to lose this great event, perhaps the biggest "adventure" in motorsport. My biggest concern is that the financial and political blows will prove too big and cause the organizers to cancel the race for good. In any case, the lives of everybody involved is a lot more important than a race, and if terrorists were to harm anybody because of the race being run, than running it isn't worth it IMO.

Daniel
4th January 2008, 16:07
Cowardly move by the orgainzers.

Nothing like giving Al Qaeda a "moral victory"

I suppose ASO wanted to avert more potential problems (read: causalites) than what they have had stacking up in the past few years with spectators and competitors alike.

Western Africa has always been the "wild west", and in past year, oragnizers have re-routed the rally around countries of conflict. I know it's too late for organizers to recce and re-write the route, but if they are taking this action this year, expect next year to be cancelled as well. They gave Al Qaeda thier bone, now they will expect it, again, and again.

This rally is done. History.

Cowards.
You do know that in the past people have had their vehicles taken at gunpoint? Al Qaeda are not simply after the vehicles like these people were. Al Qaeda wants to kill people. Safety should always be paramount in the minds of organisers of rally events. We can't wrap cars in bubble wrap but we have the choice not to send competitors out when there is a high risk of them being shot or killed by bombs. If this event had gone ahead and in a week people had been killed that would have been a great moral victory for everyone concerned.

I don't want to turn this into a political thread but this has sod all to do with the US and it's war on terror and a lot more to do with the safety of the competitors in the Dakar. At the end of the day it's just a sporting event and no sporting event is worth this sort of risk.

A.F.F.
4th January 2008, 16:16
Terrorism works.

Exactly. If you truly believe in your cause, you can change the world.

I'm going to be a terrorist when I grow up :up:

WRXedUSA
4th January 2008, 16:27
At the end of the day it's just a sporting event and no sporting event is worth this sort of risk.

That I agree.

But in a wholistic sense, as mentioned above by others, if you cancel, change your life, etc, you are caving into the demands of terrorism. That is what they want. It is our mission to live your life as you would normally. Deny terrorist media attention and demands they crave, and you win.

Let's all remember what Dakar was for these past 20 some years. It was a great adventure, and reminder of times long long ago, of real rallying. It was a good rally, and really, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I feel sorry for all the competitors and teams that put forth the effort this year, and to those who dreamed of competing in the adventure in the future.

Daniel
4th January 2008, 16:30
That I agree.

But in a wholistic sense, as mentioned above by others, if you cancel, change your life, etc, you are caving into the demands of terrorism. That is what they want. It is our mission to live your life as you would normally. Deny terrorist media attention and demands they crave, and you win.

Let's all remember what Dakar was for these past 20 some years. It was a great adventure, and reminder of times long long ago, of real rallying. It was a good rally, and really, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I feel sorry for all the competitors and teams that put forth the effort this year, and to those who dreamed of competing in the adventure in the future.
I agree. I don't think the decision would have been taken lightly though. The problem is these aren't just attention seeking terrorists. These are the sort of people who will blow these a competitor's car up and claim that it's a victory for their god and people will be dancing around celebrating and I just think. Meh it's a sport and life goes on.

I feel sorry for the competitors. I really do but I'm just glad no one has been hurt.

alleskids
4th January 2008, 16:59
I'm going to be a terrorist when I grow up :up:

It should be about time that you grow up and become matured. :)

Mihai
4th January 2008, 17:16
I think it's a mistake they cancelled the entire rally. The ASO should have reduced the Dakar to 25% of its length. Running the first couple of European stages, one or two in North Africa (Morocco - which is a relatively safe country for a day or two) and then transport the vehicles by air into Senegal for the last couple of stages, including the famous Lac Rose stage.

Rani
4th January 2008, 17:31
I think it's a mistake they cancelled the entire rally. The ASO should have reduced the Dakar to 25% of its length. Running the first couple of European stages, one or two in North Africa (Morocco - which is a relatively safe country for a day or two) and then transport the vehicles by air into Senegal for the last couple of stages, including the famous Lac Rose stage.
I agree. That would have reduced the political and financial blow, while still being safe from the terrorists. But maybe the threats coming in were against the whole rally, not only in the African stages. Guess we'll never know.

WRXedUSA
4th January 2008, 18:29
Here is more details on the news today from the US sports network ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=99&id=3180745

Highlights and points of interest:

Mauritania's foreign minister criticized the decision to scrap the race.

"This decision has no relationship with the actual security situation in Mauritania, a country that has always been stable and peaceful," said Foreign Minister Babah Sidi Abdallah.
French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said he did not want to "stigmatize" Mauritania, but warned of the risks "in a very uncertain region and one crossed by the networks of al-Qaida in North Africa."

Al-Qaida in North Africa, in a Dec. 29 statement posted on an Internet site that it often uses, criticized Mauritania's government for "providing suitable environments to the infidels for the rally." It did not directly call for attacks on the race or its participants.

Daniel Bilalian, head of sports at rally co-sponsor France Televisions, told Europe-1 radio there had been "direct threats aimed at the race by terror groups," without specifying.

In the past, terrorism fears have forced organizers to cancel individual stages or reroute the race. In 2000, several stages were scrapped after a threat forced organizers to airlift the entire race from Niger to Libya. Several stages were also called off in 2004, reportedly because of terror threats in Mali.

Al-Qaida in North Africa, in a Dec. 29 statement posted on an Internet site that it often uses, criticized Mauritania's government for "providing suitable environments to the infidels for the rally." It did not directly call for attacks on the race or its participants.

The occidental african nations are upset by the loss of tourist income it appers.

Simmi
4th January 2008, 18:40
Im completely gutted by this. The Dakar has been synonimous with the start of the year for me and many others for years and this is not getting 2008 off to a good start.

Like people have said in todays climate you can imagine the same sort of threats cropping up next year. It might be next year that things become make or break for the Dakar and its organisers.

But then if a suicide bomber walks into the centre of the bivowac(sp?)... It doesnt bear thinking about. The organisers have enough on their plates without having to be looking over their shoulders for threats.

With so much chaos in the continent at the moment and also historically, I'm not sure how long motorsport can realistically survive in Africa.

Koppomsbo
4th January 2008, 18:50
more money for the wrc maybe

A.F.F.
4th January 2008, 19:14
It should be about time that you grow up and become matured. :)

Nah... pearls for pigs I say.

On serious note, I hate the fact it's possible for certain groups of people to effect this kind of way. I share the view that they made a mistake for not racing Dakar. Obvious message has been given :mark:

Josti
4th January 2008, 19:24
On serious note, I hate the fact it's possible for certain groups of people to effect this kind of way. I share the view that they made a mistake for not racing Dakar. Obvious message has been given :mark:

Being it also under pressure of the French government, I wonder if the treath was as big as they say...

Tom206wrc
4th January 2008, 19:25
more money for the wrc maybe

For the F1 rather, unfortuneately :rolleyes:

J4MIE
4th January 2008, 20:09
More important than anything else, what the hell am I going to do for the next three weeks? :eek:

:p :

Helstar
4th January 2008, 20:22
Mitsubishi, VW and others can put their millions in WRC. :s mokin: ;)
Cool "think positive" ! I like to find good perspectives in bad times too.

For the F1 rather, unfortuneately :rolleyes:
Mitsubishi and VW in F1 ?! :P

White Sauron
4th January 2008, 20:38
Damn... Our team put so much money and efforts into this project... And all in vain... Darn ASO...

Simmi
4th January 2008, 21:28
Damn... Our team put so much money and efforts into this project... And all in vain... Darn ASO...

You'd think the ASO are the terrorists...

jonas_mcrae
4th January 2008, 22:04
ye ye very sad and bad for all that money lost...

hey Dakar teams come to WRC at least if one event is canceled you still have an other 14 to make up for it! LOL

Oh and thanks again France!

(just for the record I do like the dakar rally)

FAL
4th January 2008, 22:34
Interview with Vatanen on BBC - wearing his MEP hat he made a lot of excellent points about wider issues, like what hope is there for improving living conditions in Africa until this sort of thing is beaten. He also made the point that the event in its recognised format was already effectively controlled by access through one country and if that is now prevented it decides the entire concept/future of the event.

Mihai
4th January 2008, 22:57
:( This may lead to serious reconsiderations of Dakar 09 route as well.. Maybe it's time revive Paris-Beijing rally for some period?

Rival competition Master Rally does euro-asian cross-country rallies. But I suspect that the 2009 edition of the Dakar will go in fact towards the East. At least towards the Eastern part of Africa. Lybia is an AlQaeda-free country willing to improve its outside image. The organizers could end the rally at the pyramids of Egypt, like they did in 2001 (if I remember accurately). Or maybe in the Arabic peninsula, in an oil-filthy-rich country.

Mitsubishi and VW in F1 ?! :P

VW in F1 maybe not, but fellow brand marque Audi - yes!

WRXedUSA
4th January 2008, 23:01
Or maybe in the Arabic peninsula, in an oil-filthy-rich country.

Dubai already has a cross country raid.

I wouldn't consider Saudi Arabia or Yemen safe either with thier AQ problems.

King Hussein of Jordan loves rallying on the other hand!

Mihai
4th January 2008, 23:09
Well, Saudi Arabia has a reasonable army and intelligence services, and has at least one American base camp. You can't compare SA with a totally desert country like Mauritania, that has large areas almost uninhabited and difficult to defend - perfect for terrorists to do their stuff. Egypt has AQ issues too, in fact, it became difficult to name a country that hasn't AQ activity. Japan maybe? :D

A.F.F.
5th January 2008, 00:06
More important than anything else, what the hell am I going to do for the next three weeks? :eek:

Practise that RBR and maybe you get out of novice level some remote day :p :

gloomyDAY
5th January 2008, 03:10
I guess this is what happens when maniacs gun down 4 French tourists.

Sad...

L5->R5/CR
5th January 2008, 05:19
I think there is one thing being overlooked?

The terrorist threats don't really offer any increased risk to the competitors during the stages (really, how the hell are you going to put a road side bomb where there is no road, and unless you booby trap an area do you think the terrorist will catch a race vehicle)?

The possibility of one of the overnight camps being bombed is what I think forced the organizers hands. If the terrorists were motivated enough Morocco and Senegal were just a likely of targets as Mauritania...

Thats my take on this anyway, it wasn't because of the Mauritania stages being any more dangerous, but rather the risk to the overnights that couldn't be addressed in time...

Lousada
5th January 2008, 16:15
The terrorist threats don't really offer any increased risk to the competitors during the stages (really, how the hell are you going to put a road side bomb where there is no road, and unless you booby trap an area do you think the terrorist will catch a race vehicle)?

There are many parts of the desert where there are tracks. Not in the sanddunes of course, but in the more rocky regions there certainly are. Also, the support trucks often drive a seperate easier route.
The nature of Dakar gives that many competitors get to the camp after darkness. It would be easy for terrorists to hide during daylight and come out in the evening to snatch competitors.

WRCfan
8th January 2008, 13:41
Those filthy turban wearing camel jockey terrorists better watch out!
Al Quaeda is strong, but they have just pi$$ed off a worldwide motorsport following. Dare I say we run a whip-round and all get on planes and go turkey shooting in the sand!? That Hummer of Gordon with a MG42 on top would be FUN!

drmchsraj
8th January 2008, 14:08
Sports are supposed to unite people *sigh*

A little update:

I've spoken to dutch tv-reporter Allard Kalff today and he said, they saw with a satellite, there where already bombs and other stuff under the sand in Mauritania. If they did go there they would have even bigger problems :( . Dakar will never be the same again...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/racefan0/Allarddakar.jpg

I don't know if this is true, but Kalff is normally good informed. Other sources says there were also problems to drive in Marocco.

ShiftingGears
10th January 2008, 02:37
That I agree.

I agree. I hope Dakar can be continued after this threat.

WRCfan
10th January 2008, 03:22
It's rubbish when things like this happen. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing all the coverage of the Dakar too!

However, dead rally drivers is not fun! If there indeed were bombs already rigged then it was in best interests to have cancelled although they should have run something in some form as there is a lot of cash going to waste from teams and privateers...

With all the military power on earth it's about time these clowns (terrorists) were eradicated totally, I know international law stops this of course, however 50-100 A-Bombs would do a nice enough job....haha

ITC55
10th January 2008, 10:42
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64582
Good interview with Robbie Gordon on Autosport. I know it was cancelled for the right reasons but this gives a whole perspective of the effort that goes into one race, 100 hour weeks and millions of Dollars with no way of recouping the losses and if the is planned for next year what sponsor would risk their money?

Brother John
10th January 2008, 10:52
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64582
Good interview with Robbie Gordon on Autosport. I know it was cancelled for the right reasons but this gives a whole perspective of the effort that goes into one race, 100 hour weeks and millions of Dollars with no way of recouping the losses and if the is planned for next year what sponsor would risk their money?

No sponser would risk their money in Dakar again. :p :
They were already stupid before, to put that money into 1 race. :D

jonas_mcrae
10th January 2008, 11:50
I was watching the news the other day and they said something about moving the Dakar to South America, specifically Chile. Its not such a bad idea but heck it wouldn't be the Dakar anymore! It would be the Santiago - something..., no doubt Chile is a nice country but I think this suggestion is not realistic. Hope they prove me wrong but I think 2007 was the last dakar...

ShiftingGears
10th January 2008, 12:32
No sponser would risk their money in Dakar again. :p :
They were already stupid before, to put that money into 1 race. :D

Why are you celebrating? That's tasteless on your part.