PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton hoping for less politics in 2008

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 00:44
Here's the link: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33605

I think he should look into himself and his father Anthony and carefully consider wherre it all started. When he was bouncing off the armco at Monaco and told to slow down and follow Fernando home, he started to complain. There is no way he could have passed Fernando even if he didn't stack the car into the armco trying to catch him.

Then it was his father who complained to the FIA in Hungary. I reckon Ron Dennis should have stepped before all that, and pulled Hamilton into line.

I think Hamilton is far from the young innocent rookie boy wonder that he and his father like to paint him as. And, in the final analysis, it cost Ron Dennis the WCC, the WDC and a whole lot of money.

Cozzie
31st December 2007, 01:18
For the record Hamilton had nothing to do with stealing Ferrari's data and it was Alonso and De la Rosa who were lucky to escape a penalty for that whole debacle. Hungary was give and take, I believe Fernando was in the wrong-but then again I'm biased. Just quietly Senna wasn't as innocent as he is now portrayed either...

J4MIE
31st December 2007, 02:05
Let me guess - you are not a Hamilton fan? :D

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 03:44
Let me guess - you are not a Hamilton fan? :D

Let's start again. Why don't the two of you read the lead post and the link before you reply?

If you have already, then why not engage your brain to your PC before you reply?

gloomyDAY
31st December 2007, 04:52
I read what Lewis said and I deem his statement to be genuine.

Last season is in the books, for better or worse, and now it's time to move on with F1. LH is damn right that we'll NEVER see a season like 2007 again. Anything close to the controversy sparked this year would be havoc on the sport.

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 04:56
I read what Lewis said and I deem his statement to be genuine.

Last season is in the books, for better or worse, and now it's time to move on with F1. LH is damn right that we'll NEVER see a season like 2007 again. Anything close to the controversy sparked this year would be havoc on the sport.

I have no doubt his statement is genuine; but that doesn't mean some introspection is not in order here, as I mentioned in my lead post. What I am saying is that Lewis Hamilton contributed to the politics very early (as in Monaco) and then his father stoked the fires in Hungary.

I am sure I would be just sa scathing of Fernando if I started reading the Spanish press.

gloomyDAY
31st December 2007, 07:21
I have no doubt his statement is genuine; but that doesn't mean some introspection is not in order here, as I mentioned in my lead post. What I am saying is that Lewis Hamilton contributed to the politics very early (as in Monaco) and then his father stoked the fires in Hungary.

I am sure I would be just sa scathing of Fernando if I started reading the Spanish press.
Hamilton's whining is attributed to his inexperience. I think he realizes how critical it is for McLaren to have a cohesive driver line-up. Also, having the WDC ripped from underneath your feet will get anyone into check.

I really want to see whether or not drivers take a lesson from Kimi. Keep your head down, drive hard, and drive fast.

leopard
31st December 2007, 07:38
it doesn't seem easy to learn driving while keep the head down :)

samuratt
31st December 2007, 09:00
mmm

The part i like the most is where he states he is now the team leader. last year he begged for equality and this year he is already telling kovalainen what he has to do (finish behind him). Disgusting. And where is Ron in order to say that in McLaren there is no such thing as team leader????? That Fernando asked for it last year and he did not give it to him, while he gave it to Lewis, which at the end cost him a WCC, a WDC and 100$ million...

Disgusting and pathetic.

samuratt
31st December 2007, 09:11
it doesn't seem easy to learn driving while keep the head down :)

You do not need to look at the road if you know for sure that if you go off road you will be saved by a fellow crane.

Furthermore is better to look at the wheel rather than the road, so you make sure you do not push the wrong button at the wrong time.

:D

janneppi
31st December 2007, 09:14
samuratt:
Where exactly does Hamilton say he has number 1 driver status? I can't find such comment, unless you mean his comment about been seen almost as a team leader?

Alonso was essentially the team leader last year (at least up to half way to the season) , his input was valuable to the team and he managed to be part in making the car fast. He just had a misunderstanding that as a team leader he is the one who can tell what the other driver can do in the race ;)

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 10:25
samuratt:
Where exactly does Hamilton say he has number 1 driver status? I can't find such comment, unless you mean his comment about been seen almost as a team leader?

Alonso was essentially the team leader last year (at least up to half way to the season) , his input was valuable to the team and he managed to be part in making the car fast. He just had a misunderstanding that as a team leader he is the one who can tell what the other driver can do in the race ;)

That last sentence from Lewis was somewhat cryptic - and I missed it first time round. He did say he'd like to have Heiki as a team mate, and now he has.

It is a fact that Finnish boys are born with a steering wheel in their hands, and their cots equipped with studded tyres at the front and slicks on the back. It will not matter who will be perceived as #1 at McLaren next year; if Heiki is faster, then he will Finnish in front.

By the way, Happy New Year to everyone of my friends here. I must now go spend some time with my better half. SKOL!!

markabilly
31st December 2007, 14:38
samuratt:

Before this article, Mac announced already announced that LH was the team leader--there was a whole thread somewhere in this forum about it.

Of course one could say that might be a demotion from being RD's favorite son who could do no wrong, no matter how much money he cost the team, grid places he cost his teamate, or how much he choked.

But designating someone as team leader means the other is the team follower, because you can not lead unless someone follows....

The one with the misunderstanding that he could tell Lewis what to do in the race was Ron, but at Hungary that mis-understanding was cleared up, much to the discomfort and irritation of Freddie.... :eek:

Once Kovalainen realises he is the "recycled driver" who if he has the lead, he will be who "we are racing against" things will be okay if Kovalainen will just realize who is team leader and who is not, accepts it, moves back, and the implication behind LH's comments, is that we just will not be having Kovalainen act up like FA....

See Wilco, how quickly they forget......

Me I think the article is more of the same BS that sprewed forth from Lewis "I can handle the pressure" Hamilton per last season.......I wonder if Kov is planning to go play computer games with LH and snuggle up back at the hotel, but if Hak and Kimi are any indication of character, there will be no games and we will not hear much of anything from Kov, except the sound of his engine as he passes LH

janneppi
31st December 2007, 14:42
, but if Hak and Kimi are any indication of character, there will be no games and we will not hear much of anything from Kov, except the sound of his engine as he passes LH
Indeed, IMO Heikki is smart enough not to start playing silly games. And fast enough to give Lewis a run for his money.

SGWilko
31st December 2007, 17:52
Wilco

Who?

wmcot
1st January 2008, 08:55
Also, having the WDC ripped from underneath your feet will get anyone into check.

"Ripped from underneath [his] Feet?" As in somebody stole it from him? Lewis was the only one responsible for his "lost footing."

ArrowsFA1
1st January 2008, 09:56
Before this article, Mac announced already announced that LH was the team leader...

"The reality is that Lewis is now an absolutely proven product. He can lead a team and he can be the talisman that can take us to a championship."
Martin Whitmarsh (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64295) - 06/12/07

Later in the article Autosport quote Whitmarsh as saying "Let's be frank, he is already" [a leader].

Not quite an announcement as such, just a recognition that by his performances last year, his talent, and his long-term relationship with McLaren Hamilton is now in a position to be the figurehead that the likes of Prost and Senna were before him at the team.

However, as Alonso found, if your McLaren team-mate proves as quick if not quicker than you then they will be given every opportunity to show their ability. Kovalianen and Hamilton will make a great team, and a far less political team, and that can only be good for McLaren.

SGWilko
1st January 2008, 10:59
However, as Alonso found, if your McLaren team-mate proves as quick if not quicker than you then they will be given every opportunity to show their ability. Kovalianen and Hamilton will make a great team, and a far less political team, and that can only be good for McLaren.

A point well made :up: , I think a lot of people do not see that as being the case, and read far more into it than there actually is.

Valve Bounce
1st January 2008, 22:47
A point well made :up: , I think a lot of people do not see that as being the case, and read far more into it than there actually is.

Or the conspiracy theorists will claim that Ron Dennis will have learnt his lesson from last year, and keep one driver behind the other to ensure he has more chance of winning the championship. I always wondered why Ron Dennis didn't offer the second seat to DC - that would have solved all his problems.

leopard
2nd January 2008, 03:35
Probably not anymore, because neither of his two drivers is a champion.

raikk
2nd January 2008, 06:45
Here's the link: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33605

I think he should look into himself and his father Anthony and carefully consider wherre it all started. When he was bouncing off the armco at Monaco and told to slow down and follow Fernando home, he started to complain. There is no way he could have passed Fernando even if he didn't stack the car into the armco trying to catch him.

Then it was his father who complained to the FIA in Hungary. I reckon Ron Dennis should have stepped before all that, and pulled Hamilton into line.

I think Hamilton is far from the young innocent rookie boy wonder that he and his father like to paint him as. And, in the final analysis, it cost Ron Dennis the WCC, the WDC and a whole lot of money.

ahh man this is what I hate about the offseason.. theres nothing to talk about but the obvious

Valve Bounce
2nd January 2008, 07:56
ahh man this is what I hate about the offseason.. theres nothing to talk about but the obvious

OK!! so you can start something that would keep us here to discuss. Anything that is not contentious doesn't seem to attract any response - it seems the whole forum has hibernated. :(

samuratt
2nd January 2008, 09:15
Martin Whitmarsh (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64295) - 06/12/07

Later in the article Autosport quote Whitmarsh as saying "Let's be frank, he is already" [a leader].

Not quite an announcement as such, just a recognition that by his performances last year, his talent, and his long-term relationship with McLaren Hamilton is now in a position to be the figurehead that the likes of Prost and Senna were before him at the team.

So you do really think that Kovalainen is going to be allowed to race Hamilton on equal terms??? That is funny, cause at the end of last seasson I could not see that (two drivers riding the same car). So I do not expect that for 2008.

Hamilton is the team leader and Kova will play the lapdog roll weather he likes it or not. THee fact is while last year I did not see an statement from Fernando claiming he was the team leader, this year i have seen a copule already stating Hamilton is.

ArrowsFA1
2nd January 2008, 10:30
So you do really think that Kovalainen is going to be allowed to race Hamilton on equal terms???
It think McLaren will give them both an equal opportunity to perform to their best.

THee fact is while last year I did not see an statement from Fernando claiming he was the team leader
I don't think Fernando ever felt he needed to point that out. As 2xWDC he simply expected it to be the case, rather like Piquet at Williams.

Valve Bounce
2nd January 2008, 11:34
I don't think Fernando ever felt he needed to point that out. As 2xWDC he simply expected it to be the case, rather like Piquet at Williams.

Come to think of it - I don't remember Ron Dennis ever pointing it out either. But then, my memory needs defragging. :(
But I doubt very much that Jr expects to be team leader at Renault this year.
Hey!! I thought Jr is driving at Renault :confused:

SGWilko
2nd January 2008, 11:45
Hey!! I thought Jr is driving at Renault :confused:

86/87 - Mansell & Piquet. Piquet (Nelson Sr) was the WDC, and Nige the up and coming Brit......

Funny how no-one saw NM/NP that as a problem, but with Lewis and FA at McLaren it is all a big hoo ha. :confused:

2nd January 2008, 12:35
Just out of interest, when Hakkinen & Coulthard were partnered at Mclaren, and indeed when Kimi & JPM were there, did any of the Mclaren head-honchos or the drivers announce that one was 'Team Leader'?

It's my guess that by announcing that Hamilton is de-facto 'Team Leader' Mclaren are making a clear statement that it is Hamilton and Hamilton alone who will be racing for the championship should the 2008 Mclaren be capable.

After fecking up in 2007 in such a big way, even I can't really blame them.....although neither am I surprised by the less-than-straight way in which they have announced it.

Oh, and have Ferrari said who their 'Team Leader' is?

Garry Walker
2nd January 2008, 14:18
Then it was his father who complained to the FIA in Hungary.

Proof of that, please?

Let's start again. Why don't the two of you read the lead post and the link before you reply?

If you have already, then why not engage your brain to your PC before you reply?
Right back at ya.

Garry Walker
2nd January 2008, 14:21
So you do really think that Kovalainen is going to be allowed to race Hamilton on equal terms??? That is funny, cause at the end of last seasson I could not see that (two drivers riding the same car). .

How was alonso not allowed to race Hamilton on equal terms?

airshifter
2nd January 2008, 22:00
Just out of interest, when Hakkinen & Coulthard were partnered at Mclaren, and indeed when Kimi & JPM were there, did any of the Mclaren head-honchos or the drivers announce that one was 'Team Leader'?

It's my guess that by announcing that Hamilton is de-facto 'Team Leader' Mclaren are making a clear statement that it is Hamilton and Hamilton alone who will be racing for the championship should the 2008 Mclaren be capable.

After fecking up in 2007 in such a big way, even I can't really blame them.....although neither am I surprised by the less-than-straight way in which they have announced it.

Oh, and have Ferrari said who their 'Team Leader' is?

I don't see any team that would state a team leader is the only in contention for the championship. I think it's simply more of stating that the person is question has proven abilities and the team expects more of them, in race results, car development, etc.

Hamilton choked at the end of last years season. I would seriously doubt that they will put all work into him if in fact his new team mate performs well.

Valve Bounce
3rd January 2008, 00:29
Proof of that, please?

Right back at ya.

NO COMMENT!!

markabilly
3rd January 2008, 02:56
Weeeellll duhhhh...and Wilko as in Wilko wonders why i repeat myself.....

samuratt
3rd January 2008, 09:08

If you remember the last three races of 2007, Fernando was constantly half a second a lap slower than Hamilton. Do you think there such a difference between the drivers??? Fernando claimed that tyres preassures were not correct. And if you remember Brasil, Fernando was on a car that was almost 1sec per lap slower than Hamilton's. I have no proof to offer you, what it was clear (at least to me) that Fernando was not allowed (by McLaren) to prevent Hamilton from being WDC.

The truth is out there you just have to believe! ;)

SGWilko
3rd January 2008, 10:49
and Wilko as in Wilko

10/10 Good work.

leopard
3rd January 2008, 11:08
And if you remember Brasil, Fernando was on a car that was almost 1sec per lap slower than Hamilton's.

I doubt that it was the car he drove slowly without rhyme. :)

A.F.F.
3rd January 2008, 13:59
If Hamilton wants less politics this year then maybe he should cause less politics. :mark: