PDA

View Full Version : Fisichella a ride buyer?

keysersoze
27th December 2007, 13:35
Reports are that GF has 10 million euros in "personal sponsorship" to offer Force India. Is "personal sponsorship" just a euphemism?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

tinchote
27th December 2007, 15:58
"Personal sponsorship" is usually money from sponsors that are tied to the driver and not to the team. I don't think it's an euphemism

RaikkonenRules
27th December 2007, 16:40
Wow Fisi's now resorted to paying his way into a backmarker team. :eek:

tinchote
27th December 2007, 16:47
Wow Fisi's now resorted to paying his way into a backmarker team. :eek:

I think that's the wrong approach. Every professional sportsman, and surely F1 drivers, are a business in themselves. Not having a ride is being out of business for the driver and also for a lot of people who work for him, and for the companies that have been supporting him. So it's more than reasonable the Fisi's people is trying to get him a ride. If he has 10 million in personal sponsorship, it means that there still lots of people who value his public image.

ShiftingGears
27th December 2007, 21:30
Reports are that GF has 10 million euros in "personal sponsorship" to offer Force India. Is "personal sponsorship" just a euphemism?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

...Mighty?

Valve Bounce
27th December 2007, 23:14
...Mighty?

From winning at Renault to .....what's the name of that Indian team again??????? :confused:

Wait, wait WAIT!!!!! I just figured it out. He will be the star in a Bollywood Film. There will be a Tamil wedding, great dance sequence and a motorcycle chase in the middle of a Grand Prix!! :p :

Mihai
28th December 2007, 00:01
Team owner Mallya denied that Force India needs money from paying drivers. I think signing a driver from a top level environment like Fisichella who spent the last three years at Renault to a developing team would make a lot of sense. The know-how that he is bringin would be of great significance, as an investment into the future instead of cashing in the multi-million $ check from GP2 rookie Roldan Rodriguez.

Btw, any driver has "personal sponsorship", but I seriously doubt that GF can gather 10 million bucks. :s murf:

keysersoze
28th December 2007, 19:21
I am not well-versed on Giancarlo's commerical affairs of late, but is he not starting a driving and mechanics institute in Italy? And I thought he owned a GP2 team, or a lower formula car, at some point.

Point is, he seems to have been surrounded with competent people in his career who have looked beyond Fischella-the-driver and have already transitioned to Fischella-the-enterpriser.

It seems he, Coulthard, Villeneuve, and Eddie Irvine were pretty smart in this regard.

Mihai
28th December 2007, 19:40
GF still owns GP2 team FMS, which stands for Fisichella Motor Sport.

Successful drivers from all racing categories from rallying to NASCAR tend to start their own business by the time they passed the climax of their career. As and F1 driver for over a decade GF earned some cash, more than enough for him and his family, and he started to invest the rest of it recently. Can't you understand that?

Valve Bounce
28th December 2007, 21:05
It seems he, Coulthard, Villeneuve, and Eddie Irvine were pretty smart in this regard.

Well, I remember Eddie got a whack from Senna!! :p :

fireblade1000
29th December 2007, 00:20
Being a fisi fan i would like to see him stay racing in f1 but if he can't i don't think that will be the last time we see him involved in motorsport.

FMS is looking like it could be in for a good future with previous titles wins in lower race series and some GP2 race wins. Next year FMS will be taking part in it's 3rd GP2 season and entering a team in the new formula BMW series designed to be a feeder series for GP.

Also with planned project of fisichella motorsport academy (http://www.racecar.co.uk/giancarlofisichella/fmsacademy/) he must have some serious backers and money behind him.

keysersoze
29th December 2007, 01:56
GF still owns GP2 team FMS, which stands for Fisichella Motor Sport.

Successful drivers from all racing categories from rallying to NASCAR tend to start their own business by the time they passed the climax of their career. As and F1 driver for over a decade GF earned some cash, more than enough for him and his family, and he started to invest the rest of it recently. Can't you understand that?

You seem to think I don't understand something, but I don't think you correctly inferred what I intended you to from my post. I'll be more direct.

1) Fisi has made a lot of money as a racing car driver.
2) Fisi has parlayed his successful racing career into a second career as a businessman.

Here's what I meant for you to extrapolate from the above comments:

Fisichella would NOT have much of a problem finding 10 million euros in personal sponsorship, as you seem to think he would.

You, on the other hand, refuted, without evidence, the published reports that GF had secured the money. Why should we believe you rather than the reports?

Garry Walker
29th December 2007, 09:36
You seem to think I don't understand something, but I don't think you correctly inferred what I intended you to from my post. I'll be more direct.

1) Fisi has made a lot of money as a racing car driver.
2) Fisi has parlayed his successful racing career into a second career as a businessman.

Here's what I meant for you to extrapolate from the above comments:

Fisichella would NOT have much of a problem finding 10 million euros in personal sponsorship, as you seem to think he would.

You, on the other hand, refuted, without evidence, the published reports that GF had secured the money. Why should we believe you rather than the reports?

There is no real proof that he has that 10 million euros of backing. Reports can be made up by someone claiming something somewhere, with no real knowledge or info and then some ****ty f1 news site will pick it up and publish it as a fact. So really, the onus on proving he has that backing (I am not saying he doesnt or that he does, but I just dont believe in reports like that), is on you.

I also think that finding 10 million euros of backing in the current economy climate would be difficult for every driver, bar Michael Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and possibly Kimi.

fan-veteran
29th December 2007, 10:33
Fisi is a loozer :p

Mihai
29th December 2007, 16:31

If you're buying crap, your ideas tend to be crappy too. :D

keysersoze
30th December 2007, 03:10
There is no real proof that he has that 10 million euros of backing. Reports can be made up by someone claiming something somewhere, with no real knowledge or info and then some ****ty f1 news site will pick it up and publish it as a fact. So really, the onus on proving he has that backing (I am not saying he doesnt or that he does, but I just dont believe in reports like that), is on you.

I also think that finding 10 million euros of backing in the current economy climate would be difficult for every driver, bar Michael Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and possibly Kimi.

The onus on me? Hardly. I didn't write the report and I didn't say he had the money. All I said was that, with his obvious business ambitions and accomplishments, he would be one who COULD have the wherewithal to be able to raise that sort of money.

SGWilko
30th December 2007, 15:23
Fisi is a loozer :p

Maybe, but he is a very rich one, so he is doing something right......

markabilly
30th December 2007, 16:26
Maybe, but he is a very rich one, so he is doing something right......
And he got to drive f1, wait----- he even won an F1 race, much more than Ant or Webber can say.....indeed, he even won more races than Bunsen Burner and my Aunt Jessie

or really I should say his car did.

Bottom line, drivers do bring sponsors to a team. Abbey Bank being Brit and Lewis being Brit has kept a certain Spanish bank sponsor with Mac, or it would be gone with FA

And when a sponsor says we will provide major funding, but we want a certain name to drive for us who will make us look good, well, money talks and BS walks

Malbec
30th December 2007, 17:30
Bottom line, drivers do bring sponsors to a team. Abbey Bank being Brit and Lewis being Brit has kept a certain Spanish bank sponsor with Mac, or it would be gone with FA

Actually it was the other way, Bank Santander of Spain sponsored McLaren because FA is Spanish. Its just coincidence that Santander also owns Abbey which is being rebranded Santander.

I'm pretty certain though that Fisi going to FIF1 as a known name doesn't hurt their getting sponsors.

Rudy Tamasz
31st December 2007, 08:11
He should go to touring cars or run his business full time. If he stays in F1 he'll be a joke. He already is.

31st December 2007, 12:14
Fisichella is co-managed by Enrico Zaccaroni, formerly manager of Eddie Irvine. Together they have brought PetrolOfisi, Turkey's main oil company, into motorsport funding both cars at FMS.

Fisi also has his own fragrance on sale. I wouldn't recommend it, but it does suggest he is very business savvy.

Certainly Zaccaroni is.

ArrowsFA1
8th January 2008, 13:25
The Force India team look set to confirm Giancarlo Fisichella for the 2008 season, with an announcement scheduled for next Thursday.
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/64563

wmcot
8th January 2008, 19:53
At least with an experienced driver, we'll see how good Midland/Spyker/Force India actually is. It would be nice to see Fisi pick up a handful of points or more this season.

SGWilko
8th January 2008, 21:04
At least with an experienced driver, we'll see how good Midland/Spyker/Force India actually is. It would be nice to see Fisi pick up a handful of points or more this season.

Wouldn't it be nice if the era of the independents is on the brink of a return......

Osella
8th January 2008, 21:25
Well, Fisichella has already been a pay-driver in the first place (through Briatore) in 1996 at Minardi.

But likewise, (and okay it was at the start of their careers rather then the end) Mika Hakkinen, Michael Schumacher, Rubens Barrichello, Eddie Irvine, Jarno Trulli all brought sponsorship to get them their first drives.

keysersoze
9th January 2008, 00:11
Osella said:

"But likewise, (and okay it was at the start of their careers rather then the end) Mika Hakkinen, Michael Schumacher, Rubens Barrichello, Eddie Irvine, Jarno Trulli all brought sponsorship to get them their first drives."

I'm starting my karting "career" next month and I'm not getting paid at all; in fact, I'm paying for everything, even the kart! :D

At least I can't get fired!

wmcot
9th January 2008, 06:59
Osella said:

"But likewise, (and okay it was at the start of their careers rather then the end) Mika Hakkinen, Michael Schumacher, Rubens Barrichello, Eddie Irvine, Jarno Trulli all brought sponsorship to get them their first drives."

I'm starting my karting "career" next month and I'm not getting paid at all; in fact, I'm paying for everything, even the kart! :D

At least I can't get fired!

That is as long as you don't have a multiple-personality disorder! You could end up firing yourself that way! :)

(Good luck in karts - but most of all HAVE FUN!!)