PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Thread

Valve Bounce
25th December 2007, 23:20
Well it doesn't get much bigger here - Boxing Day at hte MCG. Australia vs India. We only enjoy it more when the Poms come here; but I think this is the big one for all Indian Cricket fans.

Plain clothes security guys will be in the grandstand and any sign of racial abuse will mean instant ejection from the ground, and possible life bans (including from footy games also).

Australia has won the toss and I think India will have the job ahead of them just to draw this game, let alone win. Maybe our Indian friends might think otherwise, we shall see.

Weather is excellent, with the max expected today at 23 degrees.

For those who want to keep up with the game live : http://content-www.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/engine/match/291351.html

Valve Bounce
26th December 2007, 08:25
I think India are ahead. A couple of centuries from their great batsmen and we are in deep shyte. :(

Storm
26th December 2007, 12:42
From 135-0 at lunch , Australia are now 337-9 ! Thanks to new captain Anil Kumble :up: 5 wickets on day 1 of a MCG test is pretty good I would say , that guy is a fierce competitor.

Valve Bounce
26th December 2007, 21:53
From 135-0 at lunch , Australia are now 337-9 ! Thanks to new captain Anil Kumble :up: 5 wickets on day 1 of a MCG test is pretty good I would say , that guy is a fierce competitor.

I hope you are watching this on your TV. After Ganguly, this guy Kumble is a breath of fresh air as captain for the Indian Test side. What a gentleman he is, and such a fantastic cricketer.

Storm
27th December 2007, 15:01
VB, Sadly I am not watching it on TV...but I agree that Kumble is a true gentleman but I am a fan of Ganguly..he gave a much needed attitude to our cricket and went toe-to-toe with Waugh...gotta love that :p :

Oh and India are back to do what they do best (which had not happened for a while to be fair)
:s collapsing for a meagre 196
Although Tendulkar & Ganguly did manage to thwart the Aussies for a bit, its now looking really tough to save this one...hopefully they do better in the next test with the bat.

harsha
27th December 2007, 15:14
if India do well with the bat,we draw the test...if we do well with the ball,we lost the test...

why can't they do both things nicely for once :s

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 00:25
I must say I am very disappointed with India's effort. Apparently this guy Yuvraj has an attitude problem that has permeated into the team and has affected his team mates. While it was not clear on TV because the camera didn't focus on his lack of effort, it was clear to all at the game.

I, myself, am very disappointed with the lack of form of both Dravid and VVS Laxman. These two guys can destroy an opposition's attack between the two of them, and I suppose most of us were looking forward to the fireworks. I think the Indians were psyched out by their own expectations (they were going to attack Hogg) and the media here.

Hell!! They should be attacking the whole Aussi bowling lineup. All this BS from the media about the Aussis suffocating the Indian batsmen. In retrospect, the Indian team really needed a blistering verbal hiding from their former coach, Gerg Chappel, the sort of harangue that peels paint of the locker room wall.

Will they survive Sydney?? I don't think so.

AndyRAC
31st December 2007, 00:38
Great performance from the Aussies, that's 15 Test wins on the bounce. They are like a well oiled machine, who can stop them? At this current time the 2009 Ashes looks like a mismatch, who would bet against another 5-0 drubbing. The 2005 Ashes is now a distant memory and must be taken as a hollow victory.
The Aussies talk the talk then walk the walk, other teams just mouth off how thet're gonna beat them, then fail miserably. Hail to the Aussies and Ponting!!!

Storm
31st December 2007, 03:41
I am disappointed as well but do not write off this series as yet.
Ganguly and Tendulkar seem to be in good form but they need the support of Laxman especially.. VB it seems that the Yuvraj thing may be true...he is a talented guy buy I don't know why he would not make an effort as he has had to work so hard just to get in the Test team....now that they put Dravid to open just to make place for Yuvraj..I guess Sydney will see Karthick coming in to open and Dravid plays at #3.

They scored 500+ in Adelaide and 700 in Sydney last time in Australia...so c'mon guys you can do it :)

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 03:49
Great performance from the Aussies, that's 15 Test wins on the bounce. They are like a well oiled machine, who can stop them? At this current time the 2009 Ashes looks like a mismatch, who would bet against another 5-0 drubbing. The 2005 Ashes is now a distant memory and must be taken as a hollow victory.
The Aussies talk the talk then walk the walk, other teams just mouth off how thet're gonna beat them, then fail miserably. Hail to the Aussies and Ponting!!!

It's amazing how everyone talks about this great Ashes victory of the Poms in 2005 - nobody ever mentions that the Poms won the series by 1 run. That's right: 1 run.

Valve Bounce
31st December 2007, 03:53
Here's the link to the article about Yuvraj : http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/yuvraj-faces-talk-then-the-walk/2007/12/30/1198949675064.html

I'd like to see Sehwag back in the side. Right now they seem unbalanced. The Indians also need someone to kick their collective arses into gear and get them working as hard as men on the chain gang.

Storm
31st December 2007, 15:19
Gary Kirsten is going to be the new coach...think he would be up to it?
He should be in Australia right now but not as the official coach just yet.

Valve Bounce
1st January 2008, 23:34
Gary Kirsten is going to be the new coach...think he would be up to it?
He should be in Australia right now but not as the official coach just yet.

No!! you really need someone who would go completely off his rocker and come up with a blistering harangue that would peel paint off the locker room walls. :eek:

Sydney about to start. Aussis won the toss it seems, and it would seem that India are keeping the same opening duo. I cannot fathom this; Nobody can convince me that a great player like Dravid cannot make some/any runs in the first 6 overs that he faces in any match. I just don't understand what has happened - I thought Sehwag was going to replace one of the openers - he sure as hell must be an improvement. :confused:

Camelopard
2nd January 2008, 03:09
At last we have some competition, Australia 6 for 135......., they have lost 4 wickets for about 45 since lunch, I can't tell you exactly as cr*cket sites are blocked here at work.

raybak
2nd January 2008, 03:23
6 for 155 right now

raybak
2nd January 2008, 05:25
6 for 281, go Symonds and Hogg

Camelopard
2nd January 2008, 06:28
How did Steve Bucknor miss Symond's edge to the wicket keeper, all I can think of is that there was a lot noise or he is deaf!!!!!

From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/02/2130597.htm

Symonds, on 30, appeared to have a lucky escape when he edged Ishant Sharma to wicket-keeper MS Dhoni, but umpire Steve Bucknor was unmoved.

Storm
2nd January 2008, 13:35
Bucknor has never been very good to our team and he is not as good as most people rate him either.....anyways great fightback from Symonds (as is usual) and thats why Australia are the best team...even when on the rails someone scores runs and gets them out of the hole
Also what happened to Zaheer?

ShiftingGears
2nd January 2008, 23:36
Yesterday had some of the worst umpiring I've ever seen. However, Symonds and Hogg did well to get Australia out of the hole they made.

harsha
3rd January 2008, 05:36
add jaffer being dismissed off a no ball to the list :(

i usually support the Umpires but how the **** can Bucknor not have seen that edge,and the third umpire stumping decision was the most baffling

Storm
3rd January 2008, 16:19
VVS Laxman...another century in Australia and his 3rd at Sydney !!
That guy is class....316/3 at end of day 2, we need another good partnership or two on Day 3 to save this one.

AndyRAC
3rd January 2008, 23:40
The 2 wickets lost at the end of day 2 were crucial, Australia will run through India and then post a big target for India to chase. India haven't got the mental strength to win ( non of the other countries have either).

harsha
4th January 2008, 05:52
India 500/8 :D

Tendulkar is on a roll,he must really like the sydney cricket ground

millencolin
4th January 2008, 09:10
i'm so annoyed i have to work this weekend! what a ripper of a game, and i get to miss it. did i have to work during the snoozefest sri lanka series? noooooooooooooo

Did i have to work during the UNEVENTFUL one day series with new zealand... nooooooooooooo

but during this great game... YES YES I DO!!!!

DAMN YOU RETAIL!!!

ShiftingGears
4th January 2008, 09:24
Great match so far! :D But theres only two days left, I hope the match doesnt end in a draw...

NinjaMaster
4th January 2008, 11:15
Australia are really going to have to treat day four similar to a one day match and knock up some real quick runs to have any chance of winning. India are very much in the box seat now and would have to bowl very poorly to lose the match. Still, stranger things have happened.

Valve Bounce
4th January 2008, 12:38
I think that it would be a helluva gamble to try to play in a manner to beat India. When you think about it, it was only poor umpiring that kept Australia in the game. The famed middle order did nothing. Then, of course, India has that great Tendulkar fellow to belt the ball in all directions - that doesn't help.

Great game.

Storm
4th January 2008, 17:41
AndyRAC....how do you feel now ???
532..top effort!
And btw we are the probably the only team that Aussies take a bit seriously when it comes to Test Cricket in the last few years (barring the Ashes series...which really looks like a fluke by now)

AndyRAC
4th January 2008, 22:05
England scored 550/7 dec last year and still lost. Never ever right Australia off, the most dangerous thing in sport - they're the greatest team in all of sport. Fantastic innings by Sachin, and good support from Harbhajan.
Meanwhile England drop Prior, recall Strauss who is now supposedly in form, even though he hasn't played any proper cricket. Why don't they get rid of Graveney, he's had his time.

Storm
6th January 2008, 01:24
Thats my point...never write off India either..especially against Australia they have shown in the recent past they are capable of doing amazing things ....like winning a test match after following on (Kolkata 2001). Also winning a test match after Australia scored ~550 (Adelaide 2004).

Btw why is Australia still batting? they are 395/6 right now....

ShiftingGears
6th January 2008, 01:31
Thats my point...never write off India either..especially against Australia they have shown in the recent past they are capable of doing amazing things ....like winning a test match after following on (Kolkata 2001). Also winning a test match after Australia scored ~550 (Adelaide 2004).

Btw why is Australia still batting? they are 395/6 right now....

Very strange...I would think Australia would be wanting to break the 2001 record, not trying to draw the match.

Ranger
6th January 2008, 07:49
Australia win with 8 minutes left!! YEAH!! :D :D :D

16 wins in a row. :D Quality stuff.

ShiftingGears
6th January 2008, 08:52
Marvellous :D

Valve Bounce
6th January 2008, 09:58
Who would believe that Michael Clarke would take 3 wickets in 5 balls to finish the game?

One must feel for India with some of the worst umpiring decisions I have ever seen going against them. I can only say "thank God that Benson is a Pom and not an Aussi".

Schultz
6th January 2008, 12:26
True true Valve... But take nothing from the Aussi's... what a performance from Michael Clarke. He can't bat, so it is idillic that he has learnt to bowl.

I was at the MCG watching Victoria play NSW in the 20/20.. I had written the Aussies off when I heard loud cheers behind us and literally 100's of people moved back under the second tear stands so they could see the TV show channel 9's coverage. Really was an amazing moment when we got that final wicket. It must have been the biggest raw that the MCG produced that night. Absolutely wicked!!

My condolences to Storm etc and all other Indian cricket fans. Your team made a sterling effort, but unfortunately luck conspired against you this time.

Storm
6th January 2008, 15:22
I am at a loss when I woke up and saw the news that we lost!
Earlier last night I saw that Aussies were not looking like pushing for a win as they almost batted till lunch time...I guess the match was headed for a draw but Bucknor once againt decided to play MVP.

AndyRAC
6th January 2008, 17:59
What a win for Australia, great bowling from Pup!!! 16 Wins in a row, Fantastic achievement!! England are lucky to win one!!

Valve Bounce
6th January 2008, 21:50
India was dudded, no doubt about it. http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/rotten-from-first-day-to-the-last/2008/01/06/1199554486302.html

While I found it exciting to see an ersatz bowler get three wickets in the second last over to win the test; after all the shouting was done, I am left with a very bad taste in my mouth.

I have no doubt that India were cheated by the umpires. It was a hollow victory for us, and that is not a good feeling at all.

Bebee
7th January 2008, 04:21
Never had I cursed and yelled so much at my poor, helpless tele before this Test... :s

Usually I totally love watching Australia vs India - regardless of where they play. Now, I really don't know if I'd be arsed to go to the third Test.

harsha
7th January 2008, 04:25
it's not the matter that the Indians lost...it's the way that they lost the match which is really hard to take

Bebee
7th January 2008, 04:38
Very true... Anil Kumble's comments yesterday reflected that.

Valve Bounce
7th January 2008, 05:25
Let's all be honest here: if it wasn't for the poor umpiring, India would have pasted the Aussis. The Aussis were in the middle of a collapse when that poor decision went giving Symonds a life at 32.

ShiftingGears
7th January 2008, 07:09
Breaking news!

India has suspended its tour of Australia pending the result of Harbajan Singh's appeal.

This is ridiculous.

Bebee
7th January 2008, 07:45
I thought they've only decided not to go to Canberra to play against the ACT? :confused: As far as I know, the third Test is still on.

Valve Bounce
7th January 2008, 07:55
This is what I found on Channel 9's news. :http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=342789

I'll refrain from comment until we see what happens later. It doesn't look good at the moment.

Rollo
7th January 2008, 08:32
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/7174122.stm

India have officially suspended the remainder of the tour of Australia. Simultaneously I saw this on SBS, Fox Sports News, Channel 9 and the ABC.

The issue at hand is perhaps far larger than the on-field incidents, but rather the CBBI flexing it's power within the ICC. True there have been some decisions in the past which have reflected badly on Indian Cricket, but this latest set of circumstances I think has more to do with revenge for decisions made in London.

Literally Cricket Australia is being held to ransom by the CBBI, which isn't good for the remainder of the test series but cricket in general. I suspect there's an underlying issue here, but again, I do not know what that issue is.

Valve Bounce
7th January 2008, 12:28
The new Super 20/20 Series run by India, perhaps??

harsha
7th January 2008, 14:02
don't think that calling the tour off will be the way to really protest...

am not really that much in favour of technology being used to replace umpires..but these idiots must go..Bucknor's outlived his usefulness as a mediocre umpire

Storm
7th January 2008, 16:13
Calling the tour off would be idiotic...but something needs to be done about all the umpiring.

Valve Bounce
7th January 2008, 21:46
I think this is cricket politics being played at the highest level. And the poor Indian cricketers are caught up in the middle of it - that they had to sit in a bus outside their hotel with the motor idling for two bloody hours before being instructed to rreturn to the hotel is disgraceful.

And, by the way, I don't think an Australian Cricket Team under Steve Waugh would have behaved in the way the Aussis did after they won the match. Many here are shocked : http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/ponting-must-be-sacked/2008/01/07/1199554570948.html

Rollo
7th January 2008, 23:00
Rudeness in this current Australian side has been underlying it now for quite some time. Does any one remember this comment?

Now that the three major papers in Sydney have splashed "We can win 5-0" over their mastheads and the celebrations have begun in earnest. I'd like to say something about sportsmanship. Usually it is customary for the two sides after a match to shake each others hands and thank each other for the game.

The English team formed an orderly line from the centre square while the Aussies celebrations started and were on the pitch in the line for nearly 12 minutes before in resignation they kind of sauntered off, realising that the victors weren't going to even give them a "sorry chaps, and thank you".

This unfortunately is the spirit of this current Australian side. Ponting apologised to his rival captain for snubbing his humbled opponents and put it down to media commitments, but to me they looked like the same media commitments that saw Indian cricket chief Sharad Pawar get pushed off the dias at the ICC Champions Trophy; that commitment is to get one's mush splashed all over the media.

Does this ring of vaingloriousness on the part of the Australians? Can they even spell that?

18th Dec 2006. Just over a year ago. This same rudeness which saw the Indians snubbed at the World Cup, the English at the end of the Ashes (the most sacred of cricketing trophies) and now has caused the premature suspension of a tour.
Was this incident down to "media commitments" as well?

Cricket is supposed to be a genteel game, played by gentlemen. Mr Ponting, do you know what a gentleman is?

Ranger
7th January 2008, 23:56
I can't figure whether the suspension is actually about the umpiring or just a protest about India being wronged during the entire test match.

That new Indian Super League (that features nearly every Australian player) should be very interesting.

Schultz
8th January 2008, 00:13
I deinitely agree with Peter Roebuck's comments. The team under Ricky Ponting has oozed arrogance and he must be sacked for the benefit of the game. They need Adam Gilchrist to move upto the top, but unfortunately he wouldn't have more than a couple of years left in him. He is a true cricketer, who walks and who really understands the value of cricket at its finest - a gentlemans game.

You know, There is very little that I saw on the field that lead me to feel that Australia weren't playing in the spirit of the game. That is, until I heard that Ponting and Kumble made a gentlemans agreement before the series started, where both players agreed to play the game in a good spirit and to walk if they nick the ball regardless of whether or not the umpire gives them out. If you are out, you should walk. It seems that in the heat of the moment at the very least, Andrew Symonds decided against following this agreement. To me, if this is true, it is embarrassing. Cricket is a gentlemans game, and without it, it is barely anything. In Australia sadly it seems cricket is just becoming a game for drunks and yobbo's and is losing a fair bit of its character. Without a captain who still sees cricket as a gentlemans sport, who reflects all these values, cricket is pretty much doomed in my mind.

Having said that, banning a tour because of the actions of Ponting and the umpires is childish and immature as far as I'm concerned. It is also far worse than what the Australian team is guilty of in this series. To walk away from a test series shows utter distain for the fans of test cricket - the people who are puting money in the players pockets. The BCCI needs to smarten up their act and quit holding the ICC and Australian cricket to ransom to get what they want. Pakistan did a very similar thing when they walked away from a test match last year, and I must say, they came fof very badly to me. It was a pathetic performance by them, and an even more pathetic performance from India.

As a cricket fan, I find it incredible that such childishness and such arrogance has been let into both indian and Australian cricket :mad:

Valve Bounce
8th January 2008, 02:19
......................I heard that Ponting and Kumble made a gentlemans agreement before the series started, where both players agreed to play the game in a good spirit and to walk if they nick the ball regardless of whether or not the umpire gives them out.
:mad:

Sorry Buddy!! the agreement was to take the word of the fieldsman that he caught the ball fairly/cleanly; there was no agreement about walking at all.

Schultz
8th January 2008, 02:24
hmm... The info I recieved was exactly as I said, and that came from sky news on my phone... There is a good chance you are absolutely correct though.

Valve Bounce
8th January 2008, 03:48
hmm... The info I recieved was exactly as I said, and that came from sky news on my phone... There is a good chance you are absolutely correct though.

Good grief, man!! Nobody walks these days except Gilchrist. The rest of them just stand there and pretend to swat flies. :rolleyes:

harsha
8th January 2008, 03:55
the Indians are not calling off the tour for the poor umpiring or the boorish nature of the aussie players

they are calling off the tour for Harbhajan being suspended for three tests on the charge of racism without any proof

Camelopard
8th January 2008, 05:30
Anybody who thinks that Harbajan Singh is a gentleman should watch this video taken at Auckland airport in New Zealand in 2002.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4908033226399646259&q=new+zealand+cricket&pl=true

It was shown on TV earlier this year as part of a series on New Zealand Customs, Immigration and Quanantine procedures. Roving fly on the wall, reality TV type stuff.

The bit when Singh would not show all his boots to Quantine Officials because he did not want to have to repack his bag is from about 7 min 50 sec untill 10 min 50 sec, then from 13 min 15 sec untill the end.

His attitude to the Officials is petulent to say the least.

I think this attitude this says something about his character.

By the way I posted earlier that Symonds should have been given out when he was on 30 and can't help but feel all this would not have occured if he had walked.

harsha
8th January 2008, 06:35
who's claimed Harbhajan to be a gentleman????

and what has that to do with him being falsely(in some people's eyes) made a scapegoat in this racism issue

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 06:49
the Indians are not calling off the tour for the poor umpiring or the boorish nature of the aussie players

they are calling off the tour for Harbhajan being suspended for three tests on the charge of racism without any proof

Who say's there's no proof? The South African match referee obviously thought there was enough proof to suspend him. The BCCI are the ones crying foul. They're also the ones who are trying to coerce the ACB and the ICC into doing what they want rather than abiding by the umpire's decision. That's pathetic and far worse than what Harbhajan or the Australians may or may not have done on the field.

Let the Indian's go home. Then sue the hell out of them for breach of contract.

Ranger
8th January 2008, 06:59
I agree with Hawkmoon. The suspension of the tour is just a wild overreaction by the BCCI.

I personally think the calls for Ponting to resign as captain are ludicrous. The only thing you could blame him for is arrogance and the rest has to do with the umpiring of the game (which was appaling in terms of the actual match).

On this matter I think Peter Roebuck should take a cold shower. It is media reactions like his that are just inflaming the situation.

JMO, of course.

harsha
8th January 2008, 07:02
Who say's there's no proof? The South African match referee obviously thought there was enough proof to suspend him. The BCCI are the ones crying foul. They're also the ones who are trying to coerce the ACB and the ICC into doing what they want rather than abiding by the umpire's decision. That's pathetic and far worse than what Harbhajan or the Australians may or may not have done on the field.

Let the Indian's go home. Then sue the hell out of them for breach of contract.

isn't it taking Symonds word over Harbhajan???

when the umpires haven't heard anything and there was nothing on the stump microphones.how can the match referee claim to know what Harbhajan intended or did not intend beyond a reasonable doubt?

harsha
8th January 2008, 07:08
it might be just me,but i'd rather take Sachin's word on this rather than take the word of Ponting or Symonds...

Camelopard
8th January 2008, 08:35
who's claimed Harbhajan to be a gentleman????

and what has that to do with him being falsely(in some people's eyes) made a scapegoat in this racism issue

This is the 'New Cricket Thread', not the racism thread, I'm just pointing out some major (imo) flaws in Singh's character.

And to balance things out, Ricky Ponting was alledged floored by a punch from Carlotta, Australia's best known female impersonator, drag queen, transsexual or whatever at the Bourbon and Beefsteak bar in Kings Cross in Sydney, years ago.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1931021,00.html

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 08:38
isn't it taking Symonds word over Harbhajan???

when the umpires haven't heard anything and there was nothing on the stump microphones.how can the match referee claim to know what Harbhajan intended or did not intend beyond a reasonable doubt?

it might be just me,but i'd rather take Sachin's word on this rather than take the word of Ponting or Symonds...

Why? Why is Tendulkar's word more valid than an Australian player's?

The match referee decided to ban Harbhajan after hearing from both sides. Are you trying to say that he completely ignored what the Indians had to say and just took the Australians at face value? I don't believe that for a second. Harbhajan has form for this kind of thing.

This is not a court of law. Beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't come into it. India have every right to appeal but to try and hold the ICC and Cricket Australia to ransom over it is unacceptable.

harsha
8th January 2008, 08:48

by the antics of Ponting and Symonds

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 08:53

by the antics of Ponting and Symonds

What antics, exactly?

harsha
8th January 2008, 08:55
Symonds-the over-reaction.....

Ponting-do i really need to specify his antics?

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 09:02
Symonds-the over-reaction.....

Ponting-do i really need to specify his antics?

Yes please. What exactly did Ricky Ponting do that would render his opinion worthless in the hearing?

harsha
8th January 2008, 09:04
1-claiming a catch which clearly was grounded

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 09:09
1-claiming a catch which clearly was grounded

No it wasn't clearly grounded. Even on the slow motion replay it was hard to tell. Ponting asked Clarke if he caught it. Clarke said yes and Ponting signalled the umpires and Ganguly to that effect as per the agreement made between the two teams before the series started that the fielding captain would indictae whether a catch was taken if there was any doubt.

harsha
8th January 2008, 09:19
how can he use that agreement when he stood his ground when the catch was taken on the leg side by dhoni in the first innings???

you shoudn't break the gentlemen's agreement to suit you

Valve Bounce
8th January 2008, 09:19

Well, to be honest, I'd rather not rely on your judgement on any issue if this is the case. If Symonds was insulted, and 2 other players heard it, then I must say this has to be considered over the word of someone who asked the alledged player who made the insult, and the fellow says "No! I didn't say it". Sachin is not saying he ws there and heard exactly what was or wasn't said - he is aying he asked Harbijan and the guy said he did not say it.

I would expect Sachin to stand up for his team mate; but it goes further than that, doesn't it!!

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 09:24
how can he use that agreement when he stood his ground when the catch was taken on the leg side by dhoni in the first innings???

you shoudn't break the gentlemen's agreement to suit you

The agreement was in regards to how catch such as Clarke's would be handled. Not whether or not a batsmen should walk. Ponting did exactly as agreed. He didn't break anything.

Storm
8th January 2008, 14:27
No it wasn't clearly grounded. Even on the slow motion replay it was hard to tell. Ponting asked Clarke if he caught it. Clarke said yes and Ponting signalled the umpires and Ganguly

Who died and made Ponting the umpire? (although he probably would be better than Bucknor ) replays made it seem that the ball was grounded rather than not...and the ball definitely touched the ground when Clarke rolled to get up.

Ponting as honest and rule abiding player? Hah.

Hawkmoon
8th January 2008, 20:40
Who died and made Ponting the umpire? (although he probably would be better than Bucknor ) replays made it seem that the ball was grounded rather than not...and the ball definitely touched the ground when Clarke rolled to get up.

Ponting as honest and rule abiding player? Hah.

Watch it in real time and tell me it definently wasn't a catch.

The agreement between the two teams was that in situations like this the fielding captain would indicate to the umpire whether a the catch was taken or not.

India were a party to this agreement. Why was it OK before the series and the first time it happens it's a problem?

So to answer your question, India made Ponting the umpire and are crying about it now just like they're crying about everything else except for the fact that they weren't good enough to hold on for a draw let alone win the game.

Valve Bounce
9th January 2008, 00:26
................except for the fact that they weren't good enough to hold on for a draw let alone win the game.

Well, the way Buknor was calling it, did you really expect India to win?

Hawkmoon
9th January 2008, 01:47
Well, the way Buknor was calling it, did you really expect India to win?

Bucknor made two bad calls that certainly hurt India's chances but both could have been overcome, if not to win the game then most certainly to draw it.

India let the umpiring decisions get to them. Instead of moving on they stewed over it. The failure of the Indian batsmen on day 5 had nothing to do with umpiring.

Valve Bounce
9th January 2008, 02:11
Bucknor made two bad calls that certainly hurt India's chances but both could have been overcome, if not to win the game then most certainly to draw it.

India let the umpiring decisions get to them. Instead of moving on they stewed over it. The failure of the Indian batsmen on day 5 had nothing to do with umpiring.

Really!! tell Dravid that one!!

Hawkmoon
9th January 2008, 05:04
Really!! tell Dravid that one!!

And what excuse have the other 9 Indian batsmen got for failing to last 2 sessions?

Valve Bounce
9th January 2008, 06:55
And what excuse have the other 9 Indian batsmen got for failing to last 2 sessions?

Let me refer you to your previous post. Which was erroneous, don't you agree? You did say that it had nothing to do with the umpiring.
Or did you just forget what you said?

Rollo
9th January 2008, 12:48
Watch it in real time and tell me it definently wasn't a catch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adNCjYFcaQk&feature=related

No.
You're standpoint is wrong. You must prove that it definitely WAS a catch.

For the past 130 years of cricket, the benefit of doubt in any and every dismissal should go to the batsman. In this case the umpire had a doubt, and therefore must first consult the other umpire and then the 3rd umpire - not the opposing captain, who it must be said has a vested interest.

After looking at several videos, I concur that the Indians were hard done by by the umpires. This montage pretty well sums up their case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti9AFeF7zlY

One point that needs to be made here. The umpire's decision is final. So irrespective of whether they're right or wrong, the umpire insomuch as on the field is concerned is the law.

To Australia: You were gifted this, don't hold it over India.
To India: Deal with it.

To both Australia and India: Neither of your boards are acting within "the spirit of the game". Put up, shut up and play cricket. I accuse both India and Australia of bringing the game into disrepute.

Hawkmoon
9th January 2008, 20:43
Let me refer you to your previous post. Which was erroneous, don't you agree? You did say that it had nothing to do with the umpiring.
Or did you just forget what you said?

My point is that India can't use the Dravid decsion as an excuse. Yeah he got screwed by a bad call but the other 9 didn't. Only 1 of the others had to stick around and we wouldn't be having this conversation. They couldn't do it and lost.

So I stand by my assertion that India's collapse on day 5 had nothing to do with umpiring. Dravid's dismisal did but the failure of the rest of Indian batting lineup to last two sessions didnt.

Valve Bounce
9th January 2008, 21:35
My point is that India can't use the Dravid decsion as an excuse. Yeah he got screwed by a bad call but the other 9 didn't. Only 1 of the others had to stick around and we wouldn't be having this conversation. They couldn't do it and lost.

So I stand by my assertion that India's collapse on day 5 had nothing to do with umpiring. Dravid's dismisal did but the failure of the rest of Indian batting lineup to last two sessions didnt.

Que??? Dravid's dismissal ws in the last session, unless you want to say it wasn't. You can't have it both ways.

Hawkmoon
9th January 2008, 22:24
Que??? Dravid's dismissal ws in the last session, unless you want to say it wasn't. You can't have it both ways.

I know that Valve but it was only one dismissal out of 10. The other nine batsmen were out fair and square. So the poor Dravid decision, by itself, didn't cost India a draw. It was only one event in 5 days of events that lead to India losing.

I believe that the legitimate dismissal of 9 other Indian batsmen was more significant to the outcome of the game than the incorrect dismissal of 1 Indian batsmen.

India can be pissed off with Bucknor and Ponting and Symonds all they like. All it will do is put them in a mindset to lose the series 4-0. What they need to do is address their own issues like the fact that Lee has got Jaffer for single digit scores 4 times from 4. Or that Dravid scores at a pace so slow that the scorers start checking the record books to see if he is braking records for ineptitude. How about the fact that their bowlers were unable to bowl out the Australians in their second innings and so on.

India are not the first team to suffer from a umpire's mistakes and they won't be the last. A good team will move on and focus on the next game. A bad team will use it as a crutch to excuse their own shortcomings.

Valve Bounce
9th January 2008, 23:08
I know that Valve but it was only one dismissal out of 10. The other nine batsmen were out fair and square. So the poor Dravid decision, by itself, didn't cost India a draw. It was only one event in 5 days of events that lead to India losing.

I believe that the legitimate dismissal of 9 other Indian batsmen was more significant to the outcome of the game than the incorrect dismissal of 1 Indian batsmen.

India can be pissed off with Bucknor and Ponting and Symonds all they like. All it will do is put them in a mindset to lose the series 4-0. What they need to do is address their own issues like the fact that Lee has got Jaffer for single digit scores 4 times from 4. Or that Dravid scores at a pace so slow that the scorers start checking the record books to see if he is braking records for ineptitude. How about the fact that their bowlers were unable to bowl out the Australians in their second innings and so on.

India are not the first team to suffer from a umpire's mistakes and they won't be the last. A good team will move on and focus on the next game. A bad team will use it as a crutch to excuse their own shortcomings.

Holy Mackeral, what game were you watching? The Aussis won the match in the second last over when Michael Clarke bowled three guys out. Had Dravid not been given out, the game would have dragged on and on for quite a few more overs and we would not have had that. In fact, he might still have been batting with Kumble in those final overs.

And I don't know where you got your figure of nine, because Kumble was still there. maybe if you took your shoes and socks off, it may help you count. :rolleyes:

ShiftingGears
10th January 2008, 00:06
Holy Mackeral, what game were you watching? The Aussis won the match in the second last over when Michael Clarke bowled three guys out. Had Dravid not been given out, the game would have dragged on and on for quite a few more overs and we would not have had that. In fact, he might still have been batting with Kumble in those final overs.

And I don't know where you got your figure of nine, because Kumble was still there. maybe if you took your shoes and socks off, it may help you count. :rolleyes:

Who knows? If Kumble stayed Clarke may have been called in earlier and Australia might've won anyway. If if if. Bad umpiring decisions are part of the game, and in the end Australia won because they were the better side in the match.

I'm looking forward to the next test, hopefully its going to be a great match like the last test was.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 00:10
Who knows? If Kumble stayed Clarke may have been called in earlier and Australia might've won anyway. If if if. Bad umpiring decisions are part of the game, and in the end Australia won because they were the better side in the match.

I find that very difficult to believe and even more difficult to enjoy our win, as I mentioned much earlier on. It has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I hope to open a discussion on umpiring soon, as soon as I collect my thoughts on this issue.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 00:26
The second test series has opened up several issues concerning umpiring. Some favour a limited number of challenges while others do not and still others say leave the current status be.

Personally, I do not favour challenges to the umpire as this would erode the position/status of the umpire in cricket.
However, I would strongly favour giving umpires greater access to technology to assist him. I noticed the hot spot relay came on very quickly and this would be one area of ruling on catches. I am not certain of the accuracy of the Hawkeye so I can only refer this to others here. Then there is the snickometer which would show if a ball has been snicked or otherwise.

So long as te reference to technology doesn't take too long, then I would favour it.

But in the final analysis, I feel that the umpire's decision should be final and the game move on without dissent or criticism.

Having said all this, I felt that poor Bucknor is getting old, possibly too old to be a test umpire because his age appears to have affected his concentration and allertness. Hell!! it happens to all of us :(

Hawkmoon
10th January 2008, 01:48

Valve, how many wickets do you need to get to bowl out a cricket team? That's right, ten. So take away the non-out of Dravid and you get, wait for it, nine. Bloody hell I can count. :rolleyes:

Your argument that India were robbed is based on a bloody big IF. If we look at what actually happened we see that India lost 9 legitimate wickets and 1 illegitimate one. Which do you think had a greater bearing on the outcome?

Hawkmoon
10th January 2008, 01:58
The second test series has opened up several issues concerning umpiring. Some favour a limited number of challenges while others do not and still others say leave the current status be.

Personally, I do not favour challenges to the umpire as this would erode the position/status of the umpire in cricket.
However, I would strongly favour giving umpires greater access to technology to assist him. I noticed the hot spot relay came on very quickly and this would be one area of ruling on catches. I am not certain of the accuracy of the Hawkeye so I can only refer this to others here. Then there is the snickometer which would show if a ball has been snicked or otherwise.

So long as te reference to technology doesn't take too long, then I would favour it.

But in the final analysis, I feel that the umpire's decision should be final and the game move on without dissent or criticism.

Having said all this, I felt that poor Bucknor is getting old, possibly too old to be a test umpire because his age appears to have affected his concentration and allertness. Hell!! it happens to all of us :(

I agree with you here. The Hot Spot technology in particular is great. I don't know why they still use the Snicko audio thing becuase it's no way near as accurate as the Hot Spot.

The problem with using technology is when do you use it? If it's up to the umpire to decide it may not help. For example, say Bucknor was convinced that Symonds didn't hit the ball or that Dravid did, he wouldn't call for the technology to be used and the incorrect decision would still stand.

I the problem cricket has is finding the balance between helping the umpires through the use of technology and making umpires take a back seat to technology.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 03:14
Valve, how many wickets do you need to get to bowl out a cricket team? That's right, ten. So take away the non-out of Dravid and you get, wait for it, nine. Bloody hell I can count. :rolleyes:

Your argument that India were robbed is based on a bloody big IF. If we look at what actually happened we see that India lost 9 legitimate wickets and 1 illegitimate one. Which do you think had a greater bearing on the outcome?

You tell me!! I've given up argueing with you on this one. I concede defeat :(

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 03:19
I agree with you here. The Hot Spot technology in particular is great. I don't know why they still use the Snicko audio thing becuase it's no way near as accurate as the Hot Spot.

The problem with using technology is when do you use it? If it's up to the umpire to decide it may not help. For example, say Bucknor was convinced that Symonds didn't hit the ball or that Dravid did, he wouldn't call for the technology to be used and the incorrect decision would still stand.

I the problem cricket has is finding the balance between helping the umpires through the use of technology and making umpires take a back seat to technology.

I don't think that Umpires could call for technology assistance on snicks nor leg before - I thought it was only available for uncertain catches and runouts.
So, I would say that Umpires should be permitted and in fact encouraged to use technology assistance in cases where there was any uncertainty in LBW and nicks and caught behind situations. The hot spot could also assist when the umpire is uncertain where the ball had touched the player (glove or elbow etc.) for caught behinds.

NinjaMaster
10th January 2008, 12:43
I can't believe some of the criticism of the Australian cricket team. Not that they are above criticism but some of the accusations leveled at them are ridiculous. Seriously, whilst they are probably guilty of being over-confident, with 2 consecutive undefeated World Cup campaigns behind them and 16 test match victories in a row, who wouldn't be? I don't think they are any more arrogant or lacking in respect for the game than any other team.
As for sacking Ponting, that is just dumb. No he isn't the most likeable bloke going around and I can understand that his gruff, straight-shooting nature can get people offside but I fail to see how anyone can think he's a cheat.

On the umpiring debate, I think what is needed more than technology in umpiring (though a little more of that could be helpful) is more younger umpires. As far as I known, there are only about 3 who are under 40 years of age and the majority of them are over 50. I don't think it's any coincidence that Simon Taufel has been rated the best umpire the last 4 years running and he is the youngest umpire in the ranks. Having said that, there are some very good older umpires still but new blood is needed.

Valve Bounce
11th January 2008, 21:54
I just cannot believe all the publicity that the controversy has given to cricket. Front and back page articles on all our newspapers have "screamed" out at all sorts of things, from monkey taunts to calls for the sacking of Test Captain Ricky Ponting.

In Australia, cricket rarely gets any publicity, and apart from Test Cricket, few people are interested in the sport. Interstate matches, featuring test players and budding hopefuls fail to attract spectators - stands are virtually empty; nobody cares who scores or bowles well or otherwise.

And now, most of the people interested in sport have to choose between the Australian Open (Tennis to the uninitiated) and the Perth Test where the Indians will turn up to face the horrendous speed bowlers including Shaun Tait. Channel 9 must wonder what stroke of luck have landed their way to provide a much wider TV audience than they could possibly have hoped for in their wildest dreams. They also have Billy Bowden, the wacky Kiwi as umpire.

Yep!! Cricket have finally landed the publicity they craved for. Now we only have to wait another month before the footy kicks off. There is a God!!

ShiftingGears
11th January 2008, 23:04
Now Roebuck wants Katich as Australian Captain :rotflmao:

AndyRAC
12th January 2008, 00:16
Cricket or Tennis, err that a hard choice isn't it?? NOT!! Tennis is one of the most overated sports on the planet, it gets far too much coverage as it is. Sod the tennis, bring on the cricket....!!!

Valve Bounce
12th January 2008, 00:40
Cricket or Tennis, err that a hard choice isn't it?? NOT!! Tennis is one of the most overated sports on the planet, it gets far too much coverage as it is. Sod the tennis, bring on the cricket....!!!

I think you will find that Tennis has a bigger following than cricket - that is the point I am making. And they have one helluva cute chick called Ana with whom I am secretly in love. :(

Camelopard
12th January 2008, 01:31

Along with golf in my humble opinion :) .

Valve Bounce
15th January 2008, 23:19
Hogg is out and Tait is in. The game starts in 3 hours time - it will be fun no matter who bats first, as the Aussis have a new opener in Chris Rogers, and on the other hand, the Indians will have to face one helluva pace bowling attack in Lee and Tait.
Sehwag's inclusion will be most interesting - why did IOndia wait so long before including this guy?
For those stuck at the office , you can follow the action on your PC here:http://content-www.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/content/site

Storm
16th January 2008, 04:31
On to actual cricket, from 56/0 we are now 59/2 :s
Apparently the fantastic 4-man pace attack hasn't gone through our mentally weak batting line-up yet....

VB..as to why Sehwag wasn't in the team? He has been crap for a long time thats why....finally we are picking teams on who is in form..rather than who has the better record..of course that backfired since Yuvraj didn't play well.
And Sehwag sort of earned his place by scoring a century in Canberra as well as having had a good series back in 2004.

Magnus
16th January 2008, 05:32
I think this cricket thread is a bug on the forum!
:s
;)
That was bad....

Valve Bounce
16th January 2008, 08:53
Apparently the fantastic 4-man pace attack hasn't gone through our mentally weak batting line-up yet....

VB..as to why Sehwag wasn't in the team? He has been crap for a long time thats why....finally we are picking teams on who is in form..rather than who has the better record..of course that backfired since Yuvraj didn't play well.
And Sehwag sort of earned his place by scoring a century in Canberra as well as having had a good series back in 2004.

Sehwag could not possibly have been worse than Dravid as opener. Now that he is in the team, it has allowed Dravid to drop down to his natural position where he can do serious GBH. And to make matters worse, he is now together with Hi partner in destruction VVS, a lethal combination.

ShiftingGears
16th January 2008, 12:26

We were off our game...Jaffer got double figures! :(

Storm
16th January 2008, 17:26
297/6 ..end of Day 1...I would say thats a decent score against the quickies at Perth but would have been better if it was 4/5 down and Laxman or Ganguly were still around for the tail. Now its up to Dhoni and Pathan to take us to 400 which would be a good score but I am not counting on it as I have seen Indian tails collapse far too often in my life (although this tail has a bit of the extended backbone with Kumble & Pathan).

VB, I agree that Dravid is really good at P3 and he showed it today with 93.

leopard
17th January 2008, 02:03
I think this cricket thread is a bug on the forum!
:s
;)
That was bad....
so is the football chat ;) :o

Bebee
17th January 2008, 04:36
India are all out for 330... And Australia are 3/22! :eek: :D

Irfan Pathan's on the team and kicking butt! :D

Storm
17th January 2008, 13:40
Like I said about the Indian tail...328/6 -> 330 all out :|
But I like what happened later in the day...Australia 212 all out and India in reply are 50 odd for loss of 1 wicket...so end of Day 2 we have a lead of 170 runs

C'mon boys dont let this one slip away now.

Bebee
19th January 2008, 01:00
Well, India made 294, and Australia are currently 2/65 with another 348 runs to make for a win with today and tomorrow still to go.

I never thought I'd ever see India having a chance to actually win at the WACA! I'm off to the WACA now! :D

Oh yeah, and Irfan Pathan's still kicking butt. :D ;)

harsha
19th January 2008, 10:07
:cheese: :D

Storm
19th January 2008, 16:12
:D :D :D

TEST MATCH WIN at the WACA !!! Bloody Fantastic!

So a mentally weak team with a poor bowling attack won at the toughest, fastest pitch on earth against the mighty Aussies....Haha sweet eh? :cheese:

Valve Bounce
20th January 2008, 05:13
I am on holiday, but I just had to log on to congratulate the Indians - great win. See you guys next week. Bye!!

harsha
20th January 2008, 13:00
Pathan's got man of the match too :o

*runs*

Storm
20th January 2008, 16:37
Pathan and Sehwag both played a part in the win :erm:
well done to them for coming back and working hard as well..

thanks VB...I am also glad that the 3rd test was not overshadowed by the things in the 2nd and the team pulled together and put all that behind.

BM
20th January 2008, 21:38
And to think the Indians could be going for a series win if they hadn't pressed the self destruct button and lost the Sydney test!

ShiftingGears
21st January 2008, 02:27
Good victory for the Indians, but...

Where were the cries of unsportsmanship from the same people that accused Australia of unsportsmanlike conduct when India won the match and celebrated exactly the same way that the Australians "unsportingly" did last test match?

Symonds and Hussey got duped by the umpire yet I see no complaints from the Australian cricket board, and noone calling for the head of any umpires. In fact, there was no blowup whatsoever when India won under similar circumstances. A blatant double standard.

Storm
21st January 2008, 03:56
Similar circumstances?
I didn't see any Indian fielders claiming catches which bounced on the ground..nor did I see horrible umpiring decisions to just 1 team (Tendulkar lbw in 1st innings balanced out the poor Symonds decision surely).

The Australian celebrations came about after all the poor umpiring and claiming of catches hence some people felt them to be "a bit too much" ( I am not one of them...I would celebrate if I won a match as well)
So a test match win in Australia and especially Perth after being written off by most Aussie fans/media was well worth celebrating.

harsha
21st January 2008, 08:35
what about the Dhoni dismissal in the first innings....

getting a wrong LBW decision is one thing,instances of the third umpire not giving a stumping,and wrong decisions in catches is quite another

harsha
21st January 2008, 08:35
And to think the Indians could be going for a series win if they hadn't pressed the self destruct button and lost the Sydney test!

agree with that :)

whatever happened,the indians should really have drawn that match atleast

Schultz
21st January 2008, 10:07
Congrats to the Idians. They relaly dominated this test. Well done!

AndyRAC
21st January 2008, 15:13
Good victory for the Indians, but...

Where were the cries of unsportsmanship from the same people that accused Australia of unsportsmanlike conduct when India won the match and celebrated exactly the same way that the Australians "unsportingly" did last test match?

Symonds and Hussey got duped by the umpire yet I see no complaints from the Australian cricket board, and noone calling for the head of any umpires. In fact, there was no blowup whatsoever when India won under similar circumstances. A blatant double standard.

I'm inclined to agree.
Another thing, before the 2005 series, the Aussies were meant to be nice, and were supposedly 'shocked' by England's attitude; by the time they changed the series was lost. Look what happened here, Australia tone down their 'antics' and India won. Sorry, but the Aussies have to have the 'win at all costs' attitude. They don't seem the same when they don't, if the other countries don't like it, tough, deal with it. As long as it isn't racist, I don't a have a problem with 'sledging', 'mental disintrigation' as it's called.

Storm
24th January 2008, 13:33
On to Test 4, Day 1 of this fantastic series...India are 309/5 with Tendulkar scoring 124 not out :up:

This guy now has a century at the WACA, MCG, SCG and Adelaide Oval :o I am not sure about the Gabba...but that's a great stat ...how many players have done that (non Australians? not many I think).
Good support from Laxman and Sehwag although had they stayed around longer India might have been in a better position. Now the problem as usual is the tail :s

Storm
25th January 2008, 15:00
So end of Day 2 and India ended on a really good total of 526 all out.
Tendulkar was fantastic with an innings of 153 and Kumble and Harbhajan played great knocks of 87 and 60 odd to take total past 500 when at one stage the tail was exposed at 350/7

Australia started well too...62/0, so unless they score 400 runs on the 3rd day and India fail miserably in 2nd innings we might be in for a drawn test.

That would still be a decent achievement after being written off completely after the MCG loss, the Indians will have comeback to lose 2-1 and have played some very competitive cricket.
Of course a win at Adelaide would be unbelievable...who knows?

Valve Bounce
26th January 2008, 08:31
Great game - but heading for a draw.

Storm
26th January 2008, 16:03
Yeah Aussies were slowed down a lot on Day 3...only managing 260 runs but they lost just 3 wickets..heading for a draw now

Gilchrist announced that he will retire after this game.....another Australian player I truly like and admire (after Shane Warne)
Cheers to him and a fantastic career :up:

NinjaMaster
27th January 2008, 03:14
This has really turned into a fantastic arm-wrestle of a series.

I think Australia really hurt themselves in this game by dropping a lot of catches and also India, I don't think, have attacked enough against the Aussie batting which has led to the game starting to fizz out a bit. Then again, results in 3 out of 4 test matches is really very good.

Camelopard
2nd February 2008, 23:27
Something in yesterdays SMH about a Test Match in South Africa in 2001.

"Tendulkar is fined and suspended for one match for ball tampering by match referee Mike Denness. Harbajan Singh, Virender Sehwag, Deep Dasgupta, Shiv Sunder Das and Sourav Ganguly are found guilty of dissent and attempting to intimidate the umpire. each is fined and issued with a suspended ban of one Test. The BCCI demands Denness is replaced for third Test and says players want to pull out of the tour. BCCI says India has no confidence in Denness. Showdown ensures between BCCI and ICC. The third Test is played and controlled by Denness but classified as a 'non-official'. Denness is dropped for fourth Test and India agree to drop Sehwag for one Test."

Sound familiar?

Storm
3rd February 2008, 03:06
Familiar yes.. I actually do remember that match/series well....probably because once again the match referee over-reacted and sided with one team w/o any real evidence.

I may follow the one-day series on the net....but after such a test series it kinda looks like an anti-climax....neither have I ever seen a T20 match and by all accounts India got their backsides handed to them by Australia on Friday.....74 all out in a 20 over game? :hmph:

harsha
11th February 2008, 15:16
Australians got their backsides handed to them too....

Ishant Sharma.....great bowling by the young lad..lets hope he doesn't let the fame get in over his head

the Indian media are already hyping him as the next big thing :( :( :(

Storm
11th February 2008, 15:21
We actually won a 1-day match against Australia ? Hah :)

Camelopard
25th February 2008, 22:45
This thread has been a bit quiet, anyway rumours persist that if Dhoni had been sanctioned for using illegal gloves, the Indian team was ready to pack up and leave Australia!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/25/2172236.htm?section=sport

Bebee
26th February 2008, 04:34
This thread has been a bit quiet, anyway rumours persist that if Dhoni had been sanctioned for using illegal gloves, the Indian team was ready to pack up and leave Australia!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/25/2172236.htm?section=sport

Ummmm, :confused: I do know about the gloves bit but where exactly does it mention that the team were going to leave? Doesn't mention it anywhere in that article on the ABC website.

Also, I haven't been up to date on the cricket lately. Been too busy worrying about work and health due to the recklessness of the management and admin at work. Grrrrr....

Schultz
26th February 2008, 06:24
I can't believe the complaints of thr Indians. It has got to the point where it is now ridiculous spoilt child antics we are seeing. They are now saying that the Australian team is bullying them, with Hayden quoted as calling Harbajahn a "madboy".... For christ sake, if that is bullying then I don't want to be involved with the game of cricket. Grow up and grow some balls team India, because of late you are acting like a bunch of pansies.

Complain and use your financial weight to get the outcomes you deserve with no consideration of the detriment to cricket you are causing by doing so. They now know that they can force the ICC into doing whatever they want. The ICC made a big mistake in cowering to team India. Give them and inch and they take a mile....

AndyRAC
26th February 2008, 08:48
Because India is now were all the money is, the ICC will virtually let them off scott free. This is worrying, much as I like India, they now have far too much influence - look at all these Twenty/20 competitions. It's probably too late now for the ICC to make a stand, they really are toothless aren't they??

Camelopard
26th February 2008, 11:19
Symonds apparently said to Sharma, "well bowled" after the gifted young paceman took his wicket. Sharma took offence to this compliment and his outburst cost him 15% of his match payment as he motioned Symonds to the dressing room in no uncertain terms.

Now the Indians are again up in arms about sledging:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/26/2173459.htm?section=sport

Oh dear, it is only a game after all, it's not as if the stakes are sheep stations or anything! I guess it keeps selling newspapers.............

harsha
27th February 2008, 19:01
well done matty hayden and cricket australia

AndyRAC
27th February 2008, 23:35
Don't know what the problem with Hayden is. Maybe Harbhajan is obnoxious, so what? Talk about a storm in a teacup.
Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on the redevelopments of Lords'? The cricket grounds over here aren't particularly big, agree that it should become a 'stadium', but would like to see one of the others become a big 'stadium'.

Storm
28th February 2008, 10:58
I am fed up of all the whining by media about Hayden's comments, I would like to see Indian team retaliate on the field by playing well and kicking some butt...and some verbal kicking too ;)
Hayden is too much of an idiot to give his comments so much importance.

As for growing some balls....perhaps Australian team is really concerned because India is the only team which is tough for them to beat.

Camelopard, the important word in your post is "apparently" ..I sure as hell dont think he said well bowled looking at his facial expressions and by how Sharma reacted to Symmonds.

stevie_gerrard
2nd March 2008, 00:51
Looking forward to the England-New Zealand series, The ODI's have been good to watch, despite some poor performances from England, but i feel that the test series will be much closer. I've always rated the kiwis and i feel that they may surprise me as i've been tipping England to win this one since they arrived in New Zealand. However, some of the side have shown just how good they are, so im hoping a tense battle between these two sides :)

Camelopard
3rd March 2008, 10:12
I'm sorry, but why am I not suprised? Here is photographic proof of unsportmanship behaviour and 'the weed' gets away scot free.......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/03/2178736.htm?section=justin

Just goes to show how much power the bcci has!!!!!!!!

For those who missed it before here is a good example of what sort of a clown this person is.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ricket&pl=true (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4908033226399646259&q=new+zealand+cricket&pl=true)

It was shown on TV earlier this year as part of a series on New Zealand Customs, Immigration and Quanantine procedures. Roving fly on the wall, reality TV type stuff.

The bit when Singh would not show all his boots to Quanantine Officials because he did not want to have to repack his bag is from about 7 min 50 sec untill 10 min 50 sec, then from 13 min 15 sec untill the end.

His attitude to the Officials is petulent to say the least.

I think this attitude this says something about his character or lack there of.

Wasn't it Crowe who said to Dhoni, 'naughty boy' for using illegal gloves, instead of sanctioning him as he should have? Oooops I forgot the Indians, sportmen that they are, threatened to take there bat and ball and go home :rolleyes: .

Spits dummy in big way and stomps of into the distance........

Camelopard
3rd March 2008, 10:37
Corrected spelling mistakes, damn 15 minute limit.

Wasn't it Crowe who said to Dhoni, 'naughty boy' for using illegal gloves, instead of sanctioning him as he should have? Oooops I forgot the Indians, sportsmen that they are, threatened to take their bat and ball and go home :rolleyes: .

Spits dummy in big way and stomps of into the distance........

Camelopard
4th March 2008, 01:11
Can some please explain this to me?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/just-wait-till-we-get-you-home-warns-bcci/2008/03/03/1204402364975.html

A small quote:
"Crowd member Matthew Zywietz said: "There was no doubt that it was a clear monkey gesture." And Blake Delcanho wrote: "I was at the game and saw Harbhajan do the monkey gestures … Are the Indian team management calling 10,000 of us liars?"

I mean wasn't it the inaction by the BBCI in India over the 'monkey' taunts aimed at Andrew Symonds back in October that started all this? :(

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/symonds-racially-abused-yet-again/2007/10/17/1192300859647.html

I suggest that Australia abandon their tour to India. The Indians can have their own competition with Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and see how long 'good relations' between Pakistan and India last, by the way are they talking to each other at the moment? :)

Regardless of how much money there is in Indian cricket, I'm sure the West Indies, England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand can survive in their own competition. :rolleyes:

harsha
5th March 2008, 17:34
so scratching an itch is a monkey taunt is it....

oh please grow up....

harsha
5th March 2008, 17:37
Before Crowe's verdict, former Australian captain Allan Border came to Harbhajan's support, saying: "I am not too sure how serious it is. I was on that side of the ground yesterday and Harbhajan was copping a fair bit of stick from the crowd. I didn't notice any gestures at all and I thought he handled himself quite well to be quite honest."

excerpt from the site

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/03/03/ucharb303.xml

Camelopard
5th March 2008, 20:59
oh please grow up....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

OK, you obviously didn't read my previous post properly, so once again:

"...... wasn't it the inaction by the BCCI in India over the 'monkey' taunts aimed at Andrew Symonds back in October that started all this? :(

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/s...300859647.html "

My question still remains, if the BCCI had shown some leadership on this issue back in October instead of pretending to believe it didn't happen, cricket relations between Australia and India would be a lot better shape than they are now. Or perhaps the guys in the photo in the above link are scratching both their armpits at the same time? :rolleyes:

harsha
5th March 2008, 21:23
:confused: :confused: :confused:

OK, you obviously didn't read my previous post properly, so once again:

"...... wasn't it the inaction by the BCCI in India over the 'monkey' taunts aimed at Andrew Symonds back in October that started all this? :(

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/s...300859647.html "

My question still remains, if the BCCI had shown some leadership on this issue back in October instead of pretending to believe it didn't happen, cricket relations between Australia and India would be a lot better shape than they are now. Or perhaps the guys in the photo in the above link are scratching both their armpits at the same time? :rolleyes:

in what way can Harbhajan's actions be called or deemed racist....

no one's defending what happened in India and while it wasn't racist in my book,it was certainly distasteful...but then why are you trying to blame the BCCI for the behaviour of the australian crowds...cause they did not take any action???

harsha
5th March 2008, 21:24
and if you think the australian crowds wouldn't have responded in the same way had the racism chants in india not occured...i think you'd be deluding yourself...

just ask Muralitharan....

Camelopard
5th March 2008, 21:30
just ask Muralitharan....

Another good post, the occassional ball (mainly the doosra) that Muralitharan bowled was a throw and the icc instead of banning him, they decided to back down to appease the power of sub continent and they changed the rules to accept his bent arm. :rolleyes:

Camelopard
5th March 2008, 21:32
[quote="harsha"]and if you think the australian crowds wouldn't have responded in the same way had the racism chants in india not occured...i think you'd be deluding yourself........quote]

i made no comment as to the actions of the Australian crowds, I was making a comment about the inaction of the BCCI regarding the monkey chants aimed at Symonds in India last October. As an aside people get ejected from games here all the time for any sort of action that can be seen as being against the spirit of the game, including starting mexican waves.

Camelopard
5th March 2008, 21:39
and if you think the australian crowds wouldn't have responded in the same way had the racism chants in india not occured...i think you'd be deluding yourself..

I made no comments about the Australian crowds, people get ejected from games here all the time for making actions considered not in the spirit of the game.

I was making a comment about the inaction of the BCCI regarding the monkey taunts aimed at Symonds in October last year.

Storm
7th March 2008, 08:52
India is whining because they aren't winning anything in this tour....so said Hayden who now looks like a right chump :p :

Fantastic 2 finals....Tendulkar finally played a match winning knock while chasing and in a crunch game (I am normally a big critic of his for the lack of that trait)

Schultz
7th March 2008, 14:49
India won and they deserved to aswell.. They wee the best team over the entirety of the tour, but all the same, I have lost alot of respect for the entire team. Shame on Harbajan, shame on the BCCI for bringing the game into disrepute.