PDA

View Full Version : Swedish 2008

Pages : [1] 2

WillemW
25th December 2007, 14:08
Hi there you Swedish rally fans :) ,

Is there anybody who can tell us nice point for the new stages an friday and saturday?

Thanks

Willem

sindroms
26th December 2007, 14:06
The only thing what I'm worry about is weather conditions in Sunne, Hagfors, Karlstad region. Seems like nothing like a snow at the moment there :confused: Plz tell me that everything will be OK in February... :D

N
26th December 2007, 18:53
What will happen if there is no snow, would they cancel the rally?
I'm thinking of going cause I can get a free ticket to Stockholm, but I'm worried if there is going to be no snow?

J4MIE
26th December 2007, 19:28
There have been same worries about snow for the past few years. There is still 6 weeks to the rally so we will have to see what the weather does closer to the event.

Magnus
26th December 2007, 19:29
This is the problem every year, but in the end it always seems to be alright. Thay have cancelled the rally once, in 1990 i believe, due to warm weather. If there is no ice on the roads they will be destroyed.
Judging from previous years it is impossible to tell anything abt the conditions until a few days before the rally.

N
26th December 2007, 19:37
Would FIA allow them to run the rally as a gravel event if there is no snow and ice, it's just a tire change? instead of cancelling it?

Tomi
26th December 2007, 19:57
Would FIA allow them to run the rally as a gravel event if there is no snow and ice, it's just a tire change? instead of cancelling it?

It's like Magnus said, the roads would be to soft to drive at this time of the year if there is no ice.
But it's more likely they drive than not so no reason to be afraid of cancellation.

N
26th December 2007, 20:07
One more question, I'm thinking of getting a rent a car in Stockholm and driving to Karlstad. What are the driving conditions during this time of the year, are the roads kept clean of snow and how accessible are the stages with a car? I've never been to Sweden, so I'm not sure how everything goes over there, :)

Krigen
27th December 2007, 01:55
It's like Magnus said, the roads would be to soft to drive at this time of the year if there is no ice.
But it's more likely they drive than not so no reason to be afraid of cancellation.

Too soft to drive?? Do you mean they will be softer than the roads that they use in Rally GB for example??? Don`t think so

bluuford
27th December 2007, 08:42
Yes they are softer. Last Year South Estonian winter-rally was canceled because the road was almost impossible to drive after recce (even there was some snow and ice left). During the winter the surface freezes and when it melts then it is soft like a bog! But it also depends on the bedrock and material they used to construct the road. And teams have to nominate their tires quite a long before the event. So, It is not very clever to drive on the gravel with the peaks.

Magnus
27th December 2007, 08:48
Too soft to drive?? Do you mean they will be softer than the roads that they use in Rally GB for example??? Don`t think so

It´s an economic issuea aswell; they have to pay the owners of the roads if they are getting destroyed during the rally.

Regarding driving a car from Stockholm to Karlstad the roads are generally kept clean from snow, it is only if there is more xtreme wheather that the roads may be slippery. I think the allow 4 cm on E-roads before they fix it. Besides your car is equipped with friction or, probably, stud tyres.

So no, there should not be any problem what so ever to go by car from Stockholm to Karlstad. Mind the cameras though ;)

The SS are fairly accessible with car, but of course there is congestion from time to time. If there is snow: do not drive to far out on the side of the road...
I do not usually do more then two stages/day because it can be very stressful...

WRXedUSA
27th December 2007, 18:26
There have been same worries about snow for the past few years. There is still 6 weeks to the rally so we will have to see what the weather does closer to the event.

Which only makes me shake my head in wonderment that they would move the stages further south this year in a more "compact" format. Move it to Ostersund and be done with it.

In regards to what stages to see, all the stages except Rammen and Varagsen are new this year.

I would try out Rammen on Sunday, which has been pretty good, avoid Vargasen in the Colin's Crest area. I'd imagine the stages up by Sunne would be good snow covered roads.

Magnus
27th December 2007, 19:17
soptunna rules!

Jonte
28th December 2007, 17:23
soptunna rules!

Halleluja!!!

Viktory
28th December 2007, 18:13
soptunna rules!

Which stage is this one actually on next year? and where abouts on that stage? If it is even included.

SubaruNorway
28th December 2007, 18:17
soptunna rules!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YY4fZvDTnas

Magnus
28th December 2007, 19:13
Soptunna is on Bjälverud

J4MIE
28th December 2007, 19:20
One more question, I'm thinking of getting a rent a car in Stockholm and driving to Karlstad. What are the driving conditions during this time of the year, are the roads kept clean of snow and how accessible are the stages with a car? I've never been to Sweden, so I'm not sure how everything goes over there, :)

Just found this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwjd5ng8m3o which gives you an idea of what the roads are like.

Magnus
28th December 2007, 20:03
Going to Likenäs?

N
28th December 2007, 20:21
Just found this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwjd5ng8m3o which gives you an idea of what the roads are like.

Thanks, I forgot about youtube.
Ok, that looks pretty fast for those conditions, hopefully rental cars have snow tyres, do you need chains?

WRXedUSA
28th December 2007, 20:31
Going to Likenäs?

Though Likenas is one hell of a drive, it does a good job of easing traffic congestion near Uddeholm, Eksharad and Geijersholm.

Bring back the Monster! Granberget!

N
28th December 2007, 20:37
Do you need a ticket to access the stages, I see that they are selling it for 400kr, is it necessary to be able to go to the stages and do they sell out or can you buy them a day before?

Magnus
28th December 2007, 20:47
You can buy the tickets by the stages. Actually, but this I probably shouldn´t say, they are not allowed to charge strictly speaking if you just stand in the woods. But everyone pays anyway, since it is a huge support to the local motor clubs, and in most places they have made special arrangements. Last year I think it was 80 for the stage and 40 for parking.
A relative of mine who lives in Sunne, he is a real charachter btw(Ex sw champ in RC SupNat), always tell the guards that he is not interested in the rally, he is out to find some mushrooms...
:s

N
28th December 2007, 21:30
hehe, back in New Zealand I managed to get to a stage for free once, but every other time we ended up paying. 400kr ticket for the whole weekend is not that much, so I'll probably get that. I've been looking at hotels and all of the ones I found were booked out for that weekend, any recommendations? some cheap places close to the rally? :)

Roy
28th December 2007, 21:38
hehe, back in New Zealand I managed to get to a stage for free once, but every other time we ended up paying. 400kr ticket for the whole weekend is not that much, so I'll probably get that. I've been looking at hotels and all of the ones I found were booked out for that weekend, any recommendations? some cheap places close to the rally? :)

Why watch rally when it is freezing? How do get warm all the time when you wait in freezing cold weather. For the atmosphere and action I like to watch. But so cold... Brrr I hate it. I stay inside or have you tips to stay warm. If so I come in 2009 to Norway. :D

WRXedUSA
28th December 2007, 23:37
Do you need a ticket to access the stages, I see that they are selling it for 400kr, is it necessary to be able to go to the stages and do they sell out or can you buy them a day before?

All the OKQ8 stations in the Hagfors area will have rally passes. I've gotten mine as far away as Fredricksberg. They are about ~$50 or like 45euro.

YOu could probably go to the forest stages without one. Some stages ask for a single stage fee. I know Rammen didnt charge last time. YOu can't get into any SSS's without a rally pass or the one time fee.

I've been looking at hotels and all of the ones I found were booked out for that weekend, any recommendations? some cheap places close to the rally? :)

There are no hotels near the rally. I'm sure the Kil Hotel (near the Karlstad Airport) is booked that weekend, as are the other accomodations in Karlstad. Go to http://www.swedishrally.com/en,private.html and select a Tourist Bureau and see if they can help you find accomodation in a private house. But hurry up, time is running out.

It's a crapshoot where you end up, but most places are very nice, and offer use of the kitchen and may include breakfast. Expect to pay around $250 for accomodation for 3 nights. I stayed in a farmhouse near Bergsang, in a house in south Uddeholm and in a guesthouse in the residential area of Hagfors. This year we are staying in Munkfors, which is more central to the stages.

Hope that helps.

Jonte
29th December 2007, 16:44
soptunna rules!

In car cam this time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGpPFbjnjI

RicKT
6th January 2008, 01:15
Hi Guys,

I have just read the full thread and thought i would share my advice..

Back in Nov of 2006 me and 2 mates decided we will head out to Sweden for the WRC in Feb 2007.. anyway.. to cut a long story it was great!!

Last year In 2007 the snow didnt hit Karlstad, (Rally HQ, SS) until around the 29th Jan,

We flew into Stockholm Skavsta (NYO), its about 165 miles from Karlstad, when we landed we was hit with a VERY hard snow fall for the full drive over to Karlstad, (in about 6 hours, 6 inch of snow fell) The roads was covered for the full route and it took us about 3 hours or so,

ALL HIRE CARS have studded tyres, this is LAW in Sweden from October to April/May, the amount of grip is great, REMEMBER to respect you are driving on snow, other wise you will get caught out.. don't get too cocky with it!

Anyway.. back too it..

Arrived in Karlstad, on the Wed's night.. relaxed, and then on Friday headed to the Super Special Stage,

Last year the service park was @ Hagfors, this year for 2008 it is going to be based in Karlstad.

The Uddeholm Swedish Rally will in 2008 be more centralized. Both the main service park and the Shakedown stage will be established in Karlstad

Below is a Video of me and my mates driving upto Hagfors, the outside temp was -20'c. - The video is around 5 mins long and shows you the pure beauty of the place..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwjd5ng8m3o

Below are a few photos....

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/IMG_2556.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/IMG_2557.jpg

(this year, i have upgraded the Hire car to a Volvo S80.. Which should be nice)

As i enjoyed it so much last year... I have booked for 2008, flying out on the 7th and returning on the 11th Feb.

If anyone has any links to the stages for the 2008, please could you advise or drop me a PM.

Cheers Guys and hope to see some of you out there!!

Rick

swordsman
6th January 2008, 15:08

Haha, love his comment about the "speed on the ice". Ehh.. he doesn't go so very fast :) And btw... Why go fast? More important to get there safely!

bf1_IRL
6th January 2008, 21:27
Sorry if going off topic,
Anyway, had fun at the '07 Swedish, the group were given a 1.9 TDi Polo and 2 x Volvo V70s (2.5L T) so when we figured out how to turn off the traction control in them, we acted immature but had fun though :) (not on the road though, private areas)

RicKT
6th January 2008, 22:13
Sorry if going off topic,
Anyway, had fun at the '07 Swedish, the group were given a 1.9 TDi Polo and 2 x Volvo V70s (2.5L T) so when we figured out how to turn off the traction control in them, we acted immature but had fun though :) (not on the road though, private areas)

LOL.. i know going off topic.... This year i have managed to get a Volvo S80 or simlair Booked for the trip with Hertz...

Was going to go for a Volvo S40 or VW Golf, but thought the S80 would be a good option!!

Rick

sindroms
7th January 2008, 20:24
Can anybody tell for freshman ;) in which time stages are closed? 5:00 AM like in NORF?

anncath
10th January 2008, 15:35
Can anybody tell for freshman ;) in which time stages are closed? 5:00 AM like in NORF?

The last years they closed our stage at 4:00 AM. I think its minimum 4 hours before the first car.

Micke_VOC
10th January 2008, 15:49
The last years they closed our stage at 4:00 AM. I think its minimum 4 hours before the first car.

Think a lot stages is closed the day before on the evening.

anncath
10th January 2008, 16:08
Think a lot stages is closed the day before on the evening.

Sure, they close the road at 22:00 PM, but nobody looks for that, the cars and caravans are driving the hole night on the stage. The info to us, who live at the stage, was absolutly no cars and people at the stage from 4:00 AM.

RicKT
10th January 2008, 23:11
Hi Guys,

Still off topic.. ish... (sorry)

Any one managed to get there hands on the Official program yet??

Ordered mine but i don't think there are been posted till the 14th Jan...

You know how it is... I wanna get plotting the stages in my TOM TOM!! I'm hoping they will document the Longitude and Latitude once again, this was worth the weight in gold last year!!

Rick

swordsman
11th January 2008, 07:39
Hi Guys,

Still off topic.. ish... (sorry)

Any one managed to get there hands on the Official program yet??

Ordered mine but i don't think there are been posted till the 14th Jan...

You know how it is... I wanna get plotting the stages in my TOM TOM!! I'm hoping they will document the Longitude and Latitude once again, this was worth the weight in gold last year!!

Rick

For sure they will plot coordinates as last year. From what I know the programme went to prints yesterday.

EDIT: Or maybe wendesday

N
11th January 2008, 08:50
All of the stages are mapped in the rally guide document on their website.

RicKT
11th January 2008, 22:50
All of the stages are mapped in the rally guide document on their website.

Hi,

I had a look at the Rally Guide on the website the other day, these guides are good for a general overview, but the Offical programe gives in depth details of all the best specator areas, plus all the Longitude and Latitude ref's for the GPS.

Cheers

Rick

VFTS
14th January 2008, 21:18
Whats the conditions in the rallyarea? The weatherforecast these week are not positive: warm weather , wind and rain and no cold and snow........

Viktory
15th January 2008, 00:02
Whats the conditions in the rallyarea? The weatherforecast these week are not positive: warm weather , wind and rain and no cold and snow........

It's going to change, change again, and then once more before the rally gets going. Nothing to pay too much attention to now really. Last year the winter came on the 25th of January.
However, if the tests Subaru held were in the Likenäs I am thinking of then there seemed to be plenty of snow at least. Think the snow in Karlstad is pretty much gone by now.

Edit: Use this model: http://www.wunderground.com/modelmaps/maps.asp?model=GFS&domain=EU
Choose 2mAg on the level, shows the temperature based on some sort of weather model. So far you can go to the 30th of Jan.

N
15th January 2008, 08:12
I was reading some long term forecasts and it says that it should get colder at the end of January. It's still to early to predict anything.

Tom206wrc
15th January 2008, 10:35
Is it time to move swedish rally to the north of the country ??? :bounce:

Viktory
15th January 2008, 10:45
Is it time to move swedish rally to the north of the country ??? :bounce:

Parts of Lappland (very north of Sweden) had a green christmas, first time anyone can remember that happened.
Would be good to move it up north but that brings about countless of other problems. Logistics, finding enough hotels, finding enough roads that are not just straight all the time etc etc..

Zes
15th January 2008, 13:06
Parts of Lappland (very north of Sweden) had a green christmas, first time anyone can remember that happened.
Would be good to move it up north but that brings about countless of other problems. Logistics, finding enough hotels, finding enough roads that are not just straight all the time etc etc..

Maybe moving it to northern Finland then... :p

Tom206wrc
15th January 2008, 13:29
Oh yeah, with fantastic northern lights(or Aurora Borealis in latin)in the sky while the cars are on stage !!!! :D :D :bounce:

SubaruNorway
15th January 2008, 16:08
Ore just skipp Sweden and move it to Norway ;)

Vargĺsen
15th January 2008, 17:12
Take it easy, the snow will come, it always does...

N
15th January 2008, 17:39
Look at last year, on 15th January it was 8°C, but during the rally it was sub zero. Hopefully, this year will be the same.

Magnus
16th January 2008, 05:46
I have suggested before that we switch rallies with Finland, making Finland a winterrally and Sweden a summer rally.

Koppomsbo
16th January 2008, 05:50
Ore just skipp Sweden and move it to Norway ;)

Well is doesnt matter to me, i have almost the distance to both of the rallies ;)

cosmicpanda
16th January 2008, 10:09
Maybe moving it to northern Finland then... :p

hey, if Monte Carlo can be in France...

WillemW
17th January 2008, 09:50
I have suggested before that we switch rallies with Finland, making Finland a winterrally and Sweden a summer rally.

mmmhhh...Ouninpohja in the snow...could be very interesting :D

RicKT
17th January 2008, 16:48
Last year i was watching the weather forecast on a daily basis and was getting worried by the end of Jan that not a great deal of snow had fallen..

The weather now is the same as last year.... Dont worry.. The snow will come!!

I cant wait to get out there in Feb!!

Rick

Magnus
18th January 2008, 08:37
I am worried, but I am every year. There is a storm coming in tomorrow(so it maybe that I have no electricity and thus no computer...), and after that there will be colder. the problem is that they predict that colder air to give way for warmer weather shortly, and the prediction til around the 25/2 is warm...
**** global warming, whatever the cause.

pino
18th January 2008, 08:40
Same story every year, then as soon we get there for the shakedown, plenty of snow and very cold...so I am not worried :p :

J.Lindstroem
18th January 2008, 09:58

You know there is actually hotels in North of Sweden... :)

Magnus
18th January 2008, 10:45
Edit: that should be 25/1, not 25/2
:)

WillemW
18th January 2008, 13:10
Found a webcam in Sunne (near Hagfors) it's raining now :(

http://www.sunne.se/weathercam.html

Magnus
18th January 2008, 14:34
They must have some severe problems with whiplash... can´t understand why they do not adopt a smoother driving style. It´s better for the environment aswell!

bennizw
18th January 2008, 14:55
Not looking good that weather no.. Hmm, interesting to see if it turns.

swordsman
18th January 2008, 16:23
Also, I saw that stage maps are now published on the site. In swedish section: Tävlingen/Bansträckning. For some reason the english version doesn't seem to be updated.

N
18th January 2008, 16:44
cool, thanks, according to the forecast, there should be some snow next week, lets see if it happens.

RicKT
18th January 2008, 16:54
Found a webcam in Sunne (near Hagfors) it's raining now :(

http://www.sunne.se/weathercam.html

This is a better link, Same camera, but it also has the Torsby Camera on there also..

http://www.sm4wdq.com/roadcam.htm

Rick

Viktory
19th January 2008, 00:37
If you're planning on heading down to the Service Park or Karlstad SSS at all, you'd be a lot better off parking the car in town somewhere and walking out or taking the special rally buss, because traffic is going to be very bad. Last year we couldn't find a parking space, so one of us ended up going back home. Now the main parking area is the service park, so it's going to be a lot worse this year I would suspect.

anncath
19th January 2008, 09:16
The swedish rally gives a "Colin´s Crest Award" to the driver with biggest jump at Colin´s Crest, thinking of Colin McRae. This award will be a challenge cup.

pino
20th January 2008, 13:43
If you're planning on heading down to the Service Park or Karlstad SSS at all, you'd be a lot better off parking the car in town somewhere and walking out or taking the special rally buss, because traffic is going to be very bad. Last year we couldn't find a parking space, so one of us ended up going back home. Now the main parking area is the service park, so it's going to be a lot worse this year I would suspect.

Thanks for the info :up: hopefully my driver ( Don Jippo ) will take notice of this :p :

N
20th January 2008, 16:15
I found accommodation 2km away from the service park, so we'll walk from there. Hopefully snow arrives, the forecast for next week is rain, not snow, :(

Exhausted
20th January 2008, 19:19
Snow in Sweden - Where:
http://www.smhi.se/sgmain/vinter/snotacke/snotacke.html#

RicKT
20th January 2008, 22:10
I have been watching the weather on a few sites, (like i bet most of you that are heading out there) and the temp is dropping over the next few days with light snow,

The weather at the moment is the same as last year...

Roll on the 7th!!

Rick

sindroms
21st January 2008, 07:47
:) Here goes! Hopefully...

Micke_VOC
21st January 2008, 08:46
:) Here goes! Hopefully...

...and its snowing =)

J.Lindstroem
21st January 2008, 08:46
Maybe this sonow is comin to early... :S

RicKT
21st January 2008, 09:44

it was only forecasted for light snow... hopefully this stuff will now stick around to provide a good base layer for the rest of the snow!!

Just remember that the closest web cam is the Sunne one, which is 60km North of karlstad.

Rick

MHjerpe
21st January 2008, 10:42
It's actually snowing down in Karlstad right now... but the temperature is just around 0...

Viktory
21st January 2008, 11:55
The forecast is for milder weather soon though...

WRXedUSA
21st January 2008, 16:06

Ah. Good idea.

I always like to see the service park on at least one day.

It's just one hell of a drive down to Karlstad to convince my freinds I want to see a car on jacks.

Viktory
21st January 2008, 16:42
Ah. Good idea.

I always like to see the service park on at least one day.

It's just one hell of a drive down to Karlstad to convince my freinds I want to see a car on jacks.

hehe, you can always combine it with a visit to the shakedown or super special on the thursday.

N
21st January 2008, 16:47
well, convince them to see the super special as well and while you are there, you can buy merchandise... :)

WRXedUSA
22nd January 2008, 04:20
hehe, you can always combine it with a visit to the shakedown or super special on the thursday.

I'll be in Gavle Thursday.

I just want to see the new STI groupN up close in service. Maybe we can go to Hagfors. I hate the SSS's in the dark.

RicKT
22nd January 2008, 09:45
Hi,

just to let you know I got my "Rally magazine", offical Programe in the post this morning!

Looking forward to haveing a read through and plotting the stages!

Rick

Langdale Forest
22nd January 2008, 19:13
There will be a prize for longest jump.
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=139&desc=Swedish%20Rally%20tribute%20to%20Colin%20McRa e

J4MIE
22nd January 2008, 22:54
If there is a lack of snow in Sweden, I do apologise as I believe that I might be to blame, as I have bought a new jacket and stuff especially for cold weather for going to Sweden :p :

But seriously, looking at the various sites that have been posted, it seems there might only be a lack of snow in/around Karlstad, but where most of the stages are it seems to be ok. Still hoping for a lot more though over the next few weeks!! :\

pino
23rd January 2008, 06:10
If there is a lack of snow in Sweden, I do apologise as I believe that I might be to blame, as I have bought a new jacket and stuff especially for cold weather for going to Sweden :p :

I also bought a new jacket, not because of the cold...because of Gigi :p :

janneppi
23rd January 2008, 06:31
pino, it's a Citroen jacket isn't it? :p :

COD
23rd January 2008, 11:44
I also bought a new jacket, not because of the cold...because of Gigi :p :

A jacket, not a whole outfit? A one that could take snow and withstand spikes and sharp corners when Gigi is helped out of the ditches many times.

pino
23rd January 2008, 12:09
pino, it's a Citroen jacket isn't it? :p :

Not a Citroen's just an ordinary one but with the colours used by Stobart Team :D

J4MIE
23rd January 2008, 15:30
Forecast isn't looking too great :s

http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/europe_forecast_14days.asp?locationID=3349

RicKT
23rd January 2008, 22:41
Forecast isn't looking too great :s

http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/europe_forecast_14days.asp?locationID=3349

Its not looking too bad as yet..

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SWXX0060?cm_ven=USAToday&promo=0&site=www.usatoday.com&cm_ite=CityPage&par=usatoday&cm_pla=WxPage&cm_cat=www.usatoday.com

Also.. check out the cam below now..

The snow is coming down pretty hard at this moment in time..

Below is a snap shot taken just now.. for any members who are not online..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/SNOWSUNNE.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/SNOW2.jpg

Cheers

Rick

Rick

MartijnS
24th January 2008, 10:29
Rallye-magazin.de states that the rally is in danger cause of the lack of snow. What's the opinion of the Swedish guys over here?

Halvis
24th January 2008, 10:49
For how many years now have the (lack of) snow in Swedish Rally been an issue?

Just to show how a proper snow rally should look like, check out this pictures from last weekends Mountainrally in Norway, just click on the pictures, after about 10 service-pictures, the on course snow pictures appear. Saw it on TV, and it was simply fantastic conditions!

http://www.whfoto.com/mountain08/

Sami
24th January 2008, 11:07
It is not about the lack of snow, a winter rally can be driven fantastically even though there were no snow, as we have seen in Finland this year. But it needs to be frozen.

Now the foreast is really bad, 6 degrees celcius plus grades means that it is almost impossible to have a rally.

So risk of cancellation of the rally is high.

I hope someone could share some information about proper weather forecasts and about decisions to be made by the organisation...

There's several of us who have to confirm and pay the trip there now, and I have to say that area isn't the nicest travel destination without the rally!

COD
24th January 2008, 11:13
But remember that Karlstad forecast doesn't tell the whole truth about conditions on proper stages, which are nearly 100km north and not affected by the big lake like Karlstad. Also as there seems to be proper winter conditions now, the ice on small roads hold quite well even if some days are warmer. Let's hope for the best and wait for more accurate forecasts as the date nearers

J.Lindstroem
24th January 2008, 11:39
Those pictures from Norway are really good, with a lot of snow. Proper snow rally as you say. I know there are places in the more north parts of Sweden that can give us the same ammount of snow in the middle of february. My hometown Östersund for example, rallies have been driven there many times and we have many great stages. But one stupid thing is that everytime we start to speak about moving the rally upnorth, the people from Värmland start to talk about that there is no hotels in the north of sweden, and that there is no people there to watch it. I think it is a pity that sweden cant discuss that thing seriously because as the monent is now i think a move would be necesarry... Next year anyway the rally is driven in Norway, a good thing of course since the Norweigan people doesnt but the rally in the south of the country, where i suppose the snow is as bad as in värmland and karlstad!

RicKT
24th January 2008, 11:44
Guys,

For weather, Search for Hagfors and Sunne to get an idea about the weather..

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SWXX0096?from=36hr_topnav_business

&

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SWXX0092?from=36hr_topnav_business

###########

Without Snow and Ice the Rally in Sweden will not go ahead.. The ground is too soft in the forrests.. (As its part of the National Park, i don not belelive they will allow this.)

#############

The snow will come... it always does.... if it does not arrive im going anyway... seen as though its book and paid for!

Rick

Perra71
24th January 2008, 11:46
As much as I like the Swedish to go ahead as usual, I really think the chances are very slim for it to happen this year.
There haven´t been any kind of winter weather at all so far this season so the ground is probably soft as a swamp.
How long does it have to be cold for roads and the surface underneath to freeze? Probably quite some time and know all we get is one or two days of below zero and then it´s back to +4-6!
Hope I´m wrong though but it doesn´t look good

J4MIE
24th January 2008, 11:49
Sunne not looking good at the moment....

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2944/sunnemm2.jpg

swordsman
24th January 2008, 11:56
Many people here knows the best. Of course the lack of snow is the problem, but noone can tell if the rally will be cancelled or not because it's not decided that early. There are still plenty of time, even tough the forecasts are truly bad. Forecasts just use to change, and I don't think the organisation will make a decision before the very same week.

However I agree, it doesn't look very good. But well, I've not given up at all...

pino
24th January 2008, 11:57
Oh dear, let's hope the situation will change in a week time, my trip is booked and I don't want to miss this great event :(

Brother John
24th January 2008, 12:09
Mildness temperatures and missing snow could lead to the refusal of the Rallye Sweden.
A decision falls in the next week. FREE OF SNOW: Approximately around Karlstad temperatures of scarcely 10 degrees of excitement in Sweden prevail. Like already before three years the snow and it are missing threaten the refusal of the WM run. Even provisional freezing of the examinations seems offering no prospects, the current temperatures lie to far above freezing point. Still those did not bury the organizers their last hopes and to count on a weather reversal, which is to provide for the desired white winter splendour.
A decision over the execution of the Rallye fall on coming Friday.
In the season 2005 those had to fight to Sweden with similar problems. The Recce took place to the majority on snow and ice-free examinations. The organizers watered even at the night the distances, so that the spikebereiften cars on a thin ice sheet could drive.
Source: http://www.rallye-magazin.de/r/wm/d/n/d/2008/01/24/rallye-schweden-in-gefahr/index.html

RicKT
24th January 2008, 12:59
Mildness temperatures and missing snow could lead to the refusal of the Rallye Sweden.
A decision falls in the next week. FREE OF SNOW: Approximately around Karlstad temperatures of scarcely 10 degrees of excitement in Sweden prevail. Like already before three years the snow and it are missing threaten the refusal of the WM run. Even provisional freezing of the examinations seems offering no prospects, the current temperatures lie to far above freezing point. Still those did not bury the organizers their last hopes and to count on a weather reversal, which is to provide for the desired white winter splendour.
A decision over the execution of the Rallye fall on coming Friday.
In the season 2005 those had to fight to Sweden with similar problems. The Recce took place to the majority on snow and ice-free examinations. The organizers watered even at the night the distances, so that the spikebereiften cars on a thin ice sheet could drive.
Source: http://www.rallye-magazin.de/r/wm/d/n/d/2008/01/24/rallye-schweden-in-gefahr/index.html

I have just been looking through some old posts and emails i sent last year, Last Year the snow did not hit Karlstad until the 28th. Hagfors area had snow around now..

If you go on the below site, Hagfors Weather Sation, there is a web cam showing the weather..

I am not able to view it at work, (when i checked last night it was dark, but working)

The Temp is wrong.. but all other data was ok the other day.

http://www.sm4wdq.com/

Lets all just hope!!

Is the Decesion day Friday 1 Feb?

Cheers

Rick

Iskald
24th January 2008, 13:31
Next year anyway the rally is driven in Norway, a good thing of course since the Norweigan people doesnt but the rally in the south of the country, where i suppose the snow is as bad as in värmland and karlstad!

Actually the area where they are running Rally Norway is for most parts on appr. the same latitude as in Sweden, i.e. not further up north. But the snow conditions and temperatures is different when you go west from sweden. Lying behind the mountains in the west of Norway its more sheltered (colder and more snowy) than on the flat forest plains further east in Värmland (Sweden).

This is why we so far this winter has had no cancelled rallies - opposed to Sweden where you are cancelling rallies every weekend right now. We had one local, national rally last saturday in Hokksund, west of and actually a bit south of Oslo, and the conditions were very good. This coming saturday there is a rally in the area of Hadeland, appr. 60 kms north of Oslo, and conditions are reported to be brilliant.

I really hope that weather conditions will be different for you in a couple of days, so that we once more can enjoy the Swedish Rally.

Brother John
24th January 2008, 13:31
I have just been looking through some old posts and emails i sent last year, Last Year the snow did not hit Karlstad until the 28th. Hagfors area had snow around now..
If you go on the below site, Hagfors Weather Sation, there is a web cam showing the weather..
I am not able to view it at work, (when i checked last night it was dark, but working)
The Temp is wrong.. but all other data was ok the other day.
http://www.sm4wdq.com/
Lets all just hope!!
Is the Decesion day Friday 1 Feb?
Cheers
Rick

Web cam works for me but looks not good at the moment! :mad: Ofcourse lets hope.
Yes i think decesion is next week Friday 1 feb, before teams start to travel till Sweden.
Largest problem is that the ground is not frozen at the moment, gravel roads must be frozen. forecast till Monday looks not good. :confused: http://www.smhi.se/cmp/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=5236&l=en

RicKT
24th January 2008, 13:45
Web cam works for me but looks not good at the moment! :mad: Ofcourse lets hope.
Yes i think decesion is next week Friday 1 feb, before teams start to travel till Sweden.
Largest problem is that the ground is not frozen at the moment, gravel roads must be frozen. forecast till Monday looks not good. :confused: http://www.smhi.se/cmp/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=5236&l=en

Cheers for the info..

Let's just all sit and hope!!!!

Rick

RicKT
24th January 2008, 16:21
Cheers for the info..

Let's just all sit and hope!!!!

Rick

i know i said lets all sit and hope....

Just looking and it would appear that karlstad is due heavy rain over the next few days..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4461

If its heavy rain.. this could easily turn to snow 40 miles north....

i know its guess work... but what else can we do!! LOL!!

SNOW SNOW SNOW!!

Rick

RicKT
24th January 2008, 16:42
Hi,

As the Admin team have placed a time limit on editing threads.. I have had to reply to my own post.

Below is a link to another Webcam based in Örebro which is east of karlstad.

http://www.na.se/_pop/webbkamera.asp

This is also a good cam..

around 20 miles EAST of karlstad..

http://195.22.74.67/view/index.shtml

Rick

Micke_VOC
24th January 2008, 17:25
Hi,
As the Admin team have placed a time limit on editing threads.. I have had to reply to my own post.

Below is a link to another Webcam based in Örebro which is east of karlstad.
http://www.na.se/_pop/webbkamera.asp

This is also a good cam..
around 20 miles EAST of karlstad..

Rick

The weather in Örebro is very far from the north of Värmland...

So that webcam i not good to look on..

RicKT
24th January 2008, 17:28
The weather in Örebro is very far from the north om Värmland...

So that webcam i not good to look on..

ok.. just realsied its a little further away than i first thought..

How about this one..

its 42Km East of Karlstad, in Kristinehamn

http://www.opentopia.com/showcam.php?camid=733

Rick

Micke_VOC
24th January 2008, 18:24
ok.. just realsied its a little further away than i first thought..

How about this one..

its 42Km East of Karlstad, in Kristinehamn

http://www.opentopia.com/showcam.php?camid=733

Rick

Not relevant either... Both karlstad and Kristinhamn is beside Vänern, the very big lake and are much varmer there

Torsby its the nearest climate to the stages...

RicKT
24th January 2008, 19:36
Not relevant either... Both karlstad and Kristinhamn is beside Vänern, the very big lake and are much varmer there

Yes i know that, But this gives you an idea of the weather in Karlstad, (of which is were I am staying) and is the location of Rally HQ and the Super Special. If theres snow in Karlstad, theres snow further north.

Cheers

Rick

escort mk
24th January 2008, 20:05
Hi lad......

I am looking for good spots to take photos at sweden eg jumps, 90* bends ect... Can any one help me??

J4MIE
24th January 2008, 21:20
The shakedown is also in (or very close to) Karlstad.

Magnus
25th January 2008, 03:51
I am afraid to say that i doubt there will be a rally this year. We have been saved by the bell so many times now, but this time... Global warming...
We had eight degrees where I live yesterday. It is ridiculous...

MartijnS
25th January 2008, 08:22
I read a comment from a Dutch entrant which said that the managing director of the rally said to them:

- All the stages are covered with some ice/snow, except for Karlstad SS.
- The weather looks good for next week, enough freezing etc.

swordsman
25th January 2008, 09:09
I read a comment from a Dutch entrant which said that the managing director of the rally said to them:

- All the stages are covered with some ice/snow, except for Karlstad SS.
- The weather looks good for next week, enough freezing etc.

Almost the same is said by Mr Klarin here: http://www.nwt.se/ArticlePages/200801/24/20080124233024_810/20080124233024_810.dbp.asp (today's local paper)

J.Lindstroem
25th January 2008, 10:39
In that article he says that the weather will turn to 7-8 decrees minus. Finding it hard to belive that the weather will turn 16 degrees just like that.

It does't look good, but off course we are keeping the hope up. This discussion by the way is like starting to be some sort of a tradition. A swedeish rally without a weather crisis is not a swedish rally! hehe

Iskald
25th January 2008, 11:57

I have the solution! You should actually drain the lake Vänern to secure future proper winters in the area. Shouldn`t be that difficult really. Vänern is just a small pond, isn`t it?

swordsman
25th January 2008, 13:24
In that article he says that the weather will turn to 7-8 decrees minus. Finding it hard to belive that the weather will turn 16 degrees just like that.

It does't look good, but off course we are keeping the hope up. This discussion by the way is like starting to be some sort of a tradition. A swedeish rally without a weather crisis is not a swedish rally! hehe

Actually it was 7-8 degrees minus in Karlstad just 2-3 days ago, so I think you are very wrong :)

Magnus
25th January 2008, 15:20
I have the solution! You should actually drain the lake Vänern to secure future proper winters in the area. Shouldn`t be that difficult really. Vänern is just a small pond, isn`t it?

Actually Iskald, they are planning to build a huge tunnel from vänern to kattegatt. it will cost a fortune, and take ages, but it is worth it as it seems. Naturally in order to save the rally ;)
...or maybe it was flooding issues...?

gareth
25th January 2008, 18:10
come on snow!! It was like this the first year I went, bout 4 years ago, 2nd time was more snow. Hopefully this time will be the same!!

Been checking:

http://www.accuweather.com/world-foreca ... 1&metric=1 (http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-page3.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&traveler=0&zipcode=EUR|SE|SW017|HAGFORS|&fday=11&metric=1)

Checked it everyday for the last couple of weeks and seems to be the same old. Is there any web cams arounf the Hagfors area? Im staying just down the road, well a bit down the road in Ransatter.

Still looking forward to it, always a good event and the locals are really cool to, can have a good laugh with them.

RicKT
25th January 2008, 18:15
I have about 4 or 5 weather forecast sites i have been using, and most of these now are "quoting" :) snow and rain for around the 2nd Feb... so hopefully...

I think we will know more by Tuesday / Wednesday of next week.

Rick

Sulland
25th January 2008, 18:48
How far north do one have to go for snow in Sweden this year ?

By the way: All swedes, lets hope for a exiting match in handball tomorrow ! :D

DonJippo
25th January 2008, 19:15

http://www.smhi.se and then click "Snödjup" that will show it.

eppel
25th January 2008, 22:07
Any news on Daniel Carlsson?

Magnus
26th January 2008, 09:38
http://www.nwt.se/ArticlePages/200801/18/20080118184013_890/20080118184013_890.dbp.asp
He is hesitating a bit regarding whether it is a good decision to start in USR or not. He belives that it might be better for him to put all his effort in S2000 and talks abt some project he has.
He thinks the 307 is better than the Cit he was driving last year. i must say that I doubt that a little, but what do I know...
Do not know who will be co-driving, but daniel says that he has one.

Koppomsbo
26th January 2008, 15:29

By the way: All swedes, lets hope for a exiting match in handball tomorrow ! :D

for sure it was exiting :) but it ended well if u ask me ;)

escort mk
26th January 2008, 16:39
does any one know any good spots to watch sweden??

Brother John
26th January 2008, 17:25
www.smhi.se (http://www.smhi.se) and then click "Snödjup" that will show it.

Snödjup is most of the time not updated on SMHI, special not in the weekend! :p :

2CV6
26th January 2008, 17:32
Snödjup is most of the time not updated on SMHI, special not in the weekend! :p :

Its updated every thuesday and friday and sometimes during extreme weatherchanges.

WRXedUSA
26th January 2008, 19:57
does any one know any good spots to watch sweden??

As in sports pubs that have rally coverage?

Or stages at the rally?

jparker
27th January 2008, 05:11
www.smhi.se (http://www.smhi.se) and then click "Snödjup" that will show it.

If this snowfall map is correct, then stages 1, 2, 5, 8, ,9, and 12 are currently not covered by snow, or 1/3 from total SS.

DonJippo
27th January 2008, 12:08
Judging from the long term weather forecast on http://www.weatherunderground.com there should not be any worries for rally Sweden, looking good at the moment.

pino
27th January 2008, 12:48
Judging from the long term weather forecast on http://www.weatherunderground.com there should not be any worries for rally Sweden, looking good at the moment.

I am not confident, today spring arrived in Denmark :s

Juha
27th January 2008, 13:01
Than make sure it stays in Denmark and won't move towards the North. :D

jarleb
27th January 2008, 13:59
This one is also a nice view at the moment... :)
http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|SE|SW017|UDDEHOLM&metric=1
Let's hope it stays this way!

RicKT
27th January 2008, 14:10
This one is also a nice view at the moment... :)
http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|SE|SW017|UDDEHOLM&metric=1
Let's hope it stays this way!

Below is the weather for Hagfors..

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SWXX0096?from=36hr_topnav_business

Says light snow... at least it snow rather than rain...

Lets just hope the snow falls before Friday 1st..

Heres a question...

Would the organizers do a limited rally if the conditions were OK for some of the stages??

Looking at the weather in Karlstad, i guess the Super Special could be a gravel stage???? Would make it intresting with the tyre choices?

Rick

Viktory
27th January 2008, 14:30
One of my friends from Karlstad said that Snowdrops have started growing.... (one of the biggest signs for spring) However, it does look as if the cold will return at the end of this week, and according to this model: http://www.wunderground.com/modelmaps/maps.asp?model=GFS&domain=EU
the rally weekend should be cold as well!! :up: hope there's some truth in it.

A.F.F.
27th January 2008, 15:34
We have snow in Vantaa for ****'s sake :confused:

RicKT
27th January 2008, 15:53
We have snow in Vantaa for ****'s sake :confused:

Chill out...

ps.. What's Vantaa got to do with the Swedish Rally?? ie... aint Vantaa in Finland??

Rick

Jaanus
27th January 2008, 16:12
Tomi Tuominen(co-driver to Gardemeister) said on Finnish TV MTV3 that it will be decided next week on January 30th if the rally is cancelled or not.

Viktory
27th January 2008, 16:39
I don't think it will be cancelled now.

WillemW
27th January 2008, 16:53
Let's hope so!!

But what if all stages in the Uddenholm area are good but shakedown and Super Special are mud? Do they start the rally without a proper shakedown test?

Viktory
27th January 2008, 17:10
Hasn't there been a rally where the shakedown was cancelled quite recently? Maybe?
The Super Special shouldn't have to be cancelled, the expected cold should be enough to sprinkle water on to make a big nice ice covering.

A.F.F.
27th January 2008, 17:30
Chill out...

ps.. What's Vantaa got to do with the Swedish Rally?? ie... aint Vantaa in Finland??

Rick

Sorry, just a desperate yell because vantaa is about the same height than Karlstad and we got (some) snow now. I'd trade it all to Sweden so the rally could be held.

Magnus
27th January 2008, 18:40
There is an interview with Bertil Klarin in Expressen abt the rally(head of the rally). He seems very positive, but maybe it´s a show...
Looking at the forecasts for the next few days things will get better though. As I am writing these lines it is even freezing here in Marstrand.

Viktory
27th January 2008, 21:41
Just read on another site, where someone had driven the Stensjön sträckan today. He said the condition of it was pretty good regarding the recent weather.
The start was mostly icy with a little bit of snow, and it got more and more towards the end. The end was icy and almost 5 cm of snow. There were a bit of ruts so probably makes it more difficult to drive. But as long as the cold comes it shouldn't be too bad.

markgp4
28th January 2008, 11:22
going back 2 sweden this year,hope weather is as good as 2006! looking at accuweather site things look on the up though!(snow).

N
28th January 2008, 11:56
I just got back from Monte Carlo, I see that there is still no snow in Karlstad area, I just hope that they won't cancel the rally, I booked accommodation, airline tickets, rent a car...

Forecast says that it should get cooler around Friday? lets just hope so.

bluuford
28th January 2008, 12:07
I think that the weather looks very promising for sweden:
http://meteo.physic.ut.ee/ilmatark/pildid_ilm/mrf_850_9panel_eur.png
I have to mention that this map is just a little bit too "cold" actual weather is couple of degrees warmer.

markgp4
28th January 2008, 13:08
as from sunday snow looks very promising for rally! stayed at kils 2yrs ago,not far from karlstad and weather was good.changed accomodation this year to filipstad,is this better location for rally? just shame service is not at hagfors,really good there and central.anyone flying to skavsta airport from u.k?

jbanbury
28th January 2008, 13:57
as from sunday snow looks very promising for rally! stayed at kils 2yrs ago,not far from karlstad and weather was good.changed accomodation this year to filipstad,is this better location for rally? just shame service is not at hagfors,really good there and central.anyone flying to skavsta airport from u.k?

Yeah ... from Stanstead

Magnus
28th January 2008, 14:06
i actually think kil is better as it is now. before filipstad was probably better.

RicKT
28th January 2008, 15:38

Yeah i am flying in from Stansted to NYO Skavsta on the 7th, 8:30am..

I'm staying the Karlstad again this year,

The weather does look to be getting colder and a few of the on-line forecast are saying SNOW!!

lets hope this snow falls before inspection on Friday.

Below link shows the predicted snow fall in CM for the next 6 days for Hagfors.
http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/hagfors/forecasts/latest

Rick

Magnus
28th January 2008, 15:47
This IS exiting!

RicKT
28th January 2008, 16:00
Let's hope so!!

But what if all stages in the Uddenholm area are good but shakedown and Super Special are mud? Do they start the rally without a proper shakedown test?

Just read the above from earlier in the thread.. Does anyone know the answer to this if for example there was no snow/ice in karlstad?

Im sure there is going to be SNOW :D .... but what if?

Rick

PLuto
28th January 2008, 16:29
It is 100% sure, that Uddeholm Swedish Rally will be in any weather conditions.

http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=5925

http://www.autosport.cz/img/clanky/b_0e4eaadc45586cd77fd9f0a782140520.jpg

RicKT
28th January 2008, 18:20
It is 100% sure, that Uddeholm Swedish Rally will be in any weather conditions.

Is there any chance the below can be translated by anyone??? Please ... :)

V poslední době se hodně spekuluje, zda nepříznivé počasí nepřinutí organizátory Uddeholm Swedish Rally k jejímu zrušení. Dle vyjádření nejvyšších představitelů organizačního výboru se nejvýzmnamnější soutěž na švédském území uskuteční na 100%, a to za jakéhokoliv počasí

Fakt je ten, že počasí druhému dílu letošního mistrovství světa v automobilových soutěžích příliš nepřeje. „Momentálně je v Karlstadtu dva stupně nad nulou. V noci se očekávají teploty pod nulou, každopádně nikde v okolí není sníh. Pořadatelé vzhlížejí k nadcházejícímu víkendu, kdy by mělo začít vydatně sněžit. Už teď jde oproti předchozím týdnům cítit ochlazení,“ hlásí přímo z Karsltadtu Jan Regner.

Obdobně jako v loňském roce, také v tom letošním se pořadatelé Barum Rally Zlín podílí při organizaci Uddeholm Swedish Rally, když zajišťují tisk a kompletaci téměř kompletní dokumentace včetně itinerářů, jízdních výkazů, plakátů či Rally guidů. Jen pro zajímavost, celková váha všech materiálů přesáhla 1,3 tuny.

Thank you very much!

Rick

sindroms
28th January 2008, 20:24
It is 100% sure, that Uddeholm Swedish Rally will be in any weather conditions. http://

Some people from Sweden told me the same. They have heard on the radio today that the Rally can be carried out even if it is no snow... Does anybody else in Varmland heard the same? :)

WRXedUSA
28th January 2008, 20:30
Some people from Sweden told me the same. They have heard on the radio today that the Rally can be carried out even if it is no snow... Does anybody else in Varmland heard the same? :)

They have cancelled it before (1991), and will likely do it again.

If there is no snow on the stages, those tires would absolutely destroy the roads.

If anything, I bet they would pare down the rally, or rerun a few stages twice, if not 4 times.

jparker
28th January 2008, 20:49
If there is no snow on the stages, those tires would absolutely destroy the roads.

Not if the roads are frozen.

markgp4
28th January 2008, 20:59
There will be snow,and am sure rally will run fine.I spoke to "RALLYTRAVEL" just over a week ago who had already recced the stages for their spectator information packs and said there was already a good covering of snow then.So if "accuweather" forecast for next 15 days is true,there WILL be snow for sweden 2008!

Magnus
28th January 2008, 20:59
The snow is of no importance, but the roads has to be frozen, as jparker points out. There will not be a rally if this criteria is not fulfilled.

markgp4
28th January 2008, 21:32
I think the snow is important for 2 reasons,1.this is what the swedish rally is all about! and 2.after first ten wrc cars went through the stage with studded tyres on a frozen road,the rest of the field might as well have gravel tyres on because surface would be turned up and rutted,and this is just the first run through the stage! what about second run through,it would be like 1000 lakes or kielder forest in november as we used to know one day!!

Magnus
28th January 2008, 21:42
Yes, markgp4, snow is nice, but ice is nicer, if you excuse me...
The difference is that lack of snow doesn´t risk the rally, warm wheather does.
Besides: normally there is very little or even no snow on the roads, only ice, if there hasn´t been a snowfall over night for example. The snow disappears rather quickly, and even if there is snow for the first cars, the later once will be driving on ice. After the first run you will always have some gravel, and this year, with such a huge starting field, we will probably see a lot of gravel, even if the roads are nice and icy to begin with.

jparker
28th January 2008, 21:44
I think the snow is important for 2 reasons,1.this is what the swedish rally is all about! and 2.after first ten wrc cars went through the stage with studded tyres on a frozen road,the rest of the field might as well have gravel tyres on because surface would be turned up and rutted,and this is just the first run through the stage! what about second run through,it would be like 1000 lakes or kielder forest in november as we used to know one day!!

.... and if they don't use studs?

DonJippo
28th January 2008, 22:02

Trust Magnus, it's the frozen roads and ice that is needed, snow is just for nice show :D

markgp4
28th January 2008, 22:19
totally agree with magnus,just hope everything runs right for rally,especially weather! just hope i enjoy this years rally as much as i did 2 years ago and hope all rally fans do the same.

PLuto
28th January 2008, 22:56
Is there any chance the below can be translated by anyone??? Please ... :)

Thank you very much!

Rick

http://www.autosport.cz/img/clanky/b_0e4eaadc45586cd77fd9f0a782140520.jpg

There is written, that rally will be in any weather conditions. It isnt important if there is snow or not - rally will surely be. Today evening, in Karlstadt was 2 above zero and is expected to be below zero during night. But in next days it is expected to be more colder and lot of snow during the weekend. And last part is about documents like itinerary or rally guides, which were prepared by Rallye Zlin (organisation which is preparing Barum Rally Zlin) (and I am also working there ;) )

RicKT
28th January 2008, 23:57

There is written, that rally will be in any weather conditions. It isnt important if there is snow or not - rally will surely be. Today evening, in Karlstadt was 2 above zero and is expected to be below zero during night. But in next days it is expected to be more colder and lot of snow during the weekend. And last part is about documents like itinerary or rally guides, which were prepared by Rallye Zlin (organisation which is preparing Barum Rally Zlin) (and I am also working there ;) )

Thanks for that!! :)

Rick

markgp4
29th January 2008, 17:07
lets hope snow comes soon.weather forecast for u.k this weekend is a lot colder and snow!How far is filipstad from karlstad and how long in car?

A.F.F.
29th January 2008, 17:48
With absolutely no offense markgp4 but when you're using the bold font, I tend to read everything you say at least twice since I reckon it must be very important :)

Anyone else ? :p :

markgp4
29th January 2008, 18:14
im new to using a computer up until recently,hope thats better now getting used to it.

Magnus
29th January 2008, 19:04
There is a third storm comming in for the end of this week, which means that temps wont drop as much as antecipated, though it normally gets colder afterwards.

Magnus
29th January 2008, 19:13
...and don´t look at this:
http://gfx.aftonbladet.se/multimedia/archive/00528/SMHI_s_prognos_f_r__528457a.pdf

N.O.T
29th January 2008, 19:47
bare also in mind that in the forests temperatures tend to be 2-3 degrees lower than in cities...

A.F.F.
29th January 2008, 21:52
im new to using a computer up until recently,hope thats better now getting used to it.

Way better. Cheers mark :up:

RicKT
30th January 2008, 06:47
Morning Guys..

Take a look at the below. - The Snow was not forecasted until around Wednesday night / Thursday...

:-)

&

Cheers

Rick

pino
30th January 2008, 06:52
Morning Guys..

Take a look at the below. - The Snow was not forecasted until around Wednesday night / Thursday...

:-)

&

Cheers

Rick

:bounce: :D

N
30th January 2008, 07:13
Ok, lets hope it stays there and doesn't melt.

ln-ops
30th January 2008, 07:19
This is great news!!!

I put in a quote from Bertil Klarin (big boss) to NWT on the 18th of january:

"-As of now, I'm pretty calm. Vi have great forecasts and it looks like the coldness is comming during this week. The event is listed with the FIA as an snow and gravel event, the rally will be run".

Found this picture from SS Horrsjřn in NWT too, that did not look to good. It was also taken on the 18th:

http://www.nwt.se/ArticlePages/200801/17/20080117190015_640/Rallystracka_lerigt_ml.jpg

Lets hope all that mud will freeze to ice. All that mud is better suited for Rally GB :)

MHjerpe
30th January 2008, 07:28
It have snowed tonight... so it's white out side right now... Wed morning 08:26.. but the temperature is a bit to high (ie above 0) here in Karlstad... guess it's better a bit further up.

swordsman
30th January 2008, 07:32
Snowing in Karlstad at the moment... A few centimeters on the ground...

EDIT: I'm not fast enough :)

RicKT
30th January 2008, 07:43
Snowing in Karlstad at the moment... A few centimeters on the ground...

EDIT: I'm not fast enough :)

Yeah!

lets hope it stays around.... When i checked the above Roadcams this morning... it was a nice sight seeing the snow!!

Rick

jbmarcus21
30th January 2008, 17:38
Sweden Rally'08 - Program, Special stage by special stage and Google MAP !!
( click on picture or here (http://planetemarcus.free.fr/suede08.htm) )

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1644/fondsuede08us9.jpg (http://planetemarcus.free.fr/suede08.htm)

N
30th January 2008, 19:49
excellent, thanks, that Sweden photosat is also good.

J4MIE
30th January 2008, 21:39
Yes!!! :bounce:

Hope it lasts :up:

Magnus
31st January 2008, 06:51
Do you know if they worked it out or if there was a huge crash jbmarcus21?
:s :D

euskalteam
31st January 2008, 09:28
Sordo starts the Swedish Rally with a 5 mins. penalty due the change of the engine.

miksu
31st January 2008, 10:26
the swedish weatherguy quoted by finnish site said that there is some snow, and maybe there's more coming, but it will probably melt just before the rally.

jirka rk
31st January 2008, 11:13
Hi, when can we expect an official announcement if rally goes on or not?

Tom206wrc
31st January 2008, 11:19
Hi, when can we expect an official announcement if rally goes on or not?

Before next week not during, because the reconnaissance starts then... :mark:

Perra71
31st January 2008, 11:36
According to some news today on the official site the rally will go ahead as planned.
http://www.swedishrally.com/se%2Cnyhet.html?id=1201773014

RicKT
31st January 2008, 16:23
According to some news today on the official site the rally will go ahead as planned.
http://www.swedishrally.com/se%2Cnyhet.html?id=1201773014

Thats good that they have posted that on the offical site... shame they have not posted it on the english version as yet..

Any chance of a summary of what it says apart from the rally is on please?

Just lookng at the weather forcast for Karlstad.... if the below is correct... it should be good as long as the rain keeps off...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SWXX0060?cm_ven=USAToday&promo=0&site=www.usatoday.com&cm_ite=CityPage&par=usatoday&cm_pla=WxPage&cm_cat=www.usatoday.com

and below is Hagfors which LOOKS even better!!! woo hoo!!

Rick

Vargĺsen
31st January 2008, 16:43
There is no risk for the rally, the situation today is that we have snow, ice and frozen gravel, and the wheather forecast talks of no temperatures above +4 degrees. The rally is on, of course the snow could melt, but the roads are fine. At the moment, thursday night, at the Vargĺsen stage, we have perfect roads (ice and snow), 5 cm of snow and +2 degrees(which has turned the snow to ice, perfect).

The only risk is that if there are high temperatures during the rally, some stages could be cancelled the second running. (And the shakedown and super special stages which are held further south in Karlstad, could be cancelled)

RicKT
31st January 2008, 17:09
There is no risk for the rally, the situation today is that we have snow, ice and frozen gravel, and the wheather forecast talks of no temperatures above +4 degrees. The rally is on, of course the snow could melt, but the roads are fine. At the moment, thursday night, at the Vargĺsen stage, we have perfect roads (ice and snow), 5 cm of snow and +2 degrees(which has turned the snow to ice, perfect).

The only risk is that if there are high temperatures during the rally, some stages could be cancelled the second running. (And the shakedown and super special stages which are held further south in Karlstad, could be cancelled)

Thats for the info / summary!

Rick

ln-ops
31st January 2008, 21:35
Here's a few pictures showing snow and ice conditions in '98, '99 and 2000. After seing the forecast, it can be a lot more snow this year:

Petter Solberg, 1998:
http://www.nmst.no/2008/0210swe/1998_petter.jpg

Colin McRae, 1999:
http://www.nmst.no/2008/0210swe/1999_colin.jpg

Petter Solberg, 1999:
http://www.nmst.no/2008/0210swe/1999_petter.jpg

Henning Solberg, 2000:
http://www.nmst.no/2008/0210swe/2000_henning1.jpg

Henning Solberg, 2000:
http://www.nmst.no/2008/0210swe/2000_henning2.jpg

Viktory
31st January 2008, 23:47
Here's a few pictures showing snow and ice conditions in '98, '99 and 2000. After seing the forecast, it can be a lot more snow this year:

If the forecasts are even close to being true, this years rally should be better than pretty much all of those years.

MHjerpe
1st February 2008, 07:50
one more from 2000 :)

Kenneth Ericsson from SS8 - 2000

Timole
1st February 2008, 08:05
Can´t wait for the start of the rally. Hope that there will be some more snow and nice weather during the rally. Hopefully i´ll meet with some of our fellow forumers.

Salist
1st February 2008, 13:10
http://www.swerally.se/en,nyhet.html?id=1201860092

The temperature´s going down in Värmland. So everybody´s talking about Uddeholm Swedish Rally in the rally region.
- Of course there will be a rally this year - Mr Bertil Klarin clerk of the course - states with a smile. Always the same questions before the rally, but we have not been worried, it will be a perfect winter event, he says.

It´s now less than one week left to the start of the rally and the real winter has returned to Värmland. Cold weather from north with lots of snow has quickly changed the scenery.
- The favourable weather conditions allow us to prepare the rally roads perfectly, making them still better before the rally on February 7-10. We have already been sprinkling the surface of the shake down and the Karlstad Super Special Stage, both situated within the Rally Village in the central parts of Karlstad, Klarin says.

He had some busy days last week answering questions about the hot stuff - the weather.
- Same procedure every year - Klarin continues - in Monte Carlo there will always pop up rumours that Uddeholm Swedish Rally will be cancelled. For the last 17 years this has been false.
- We are following the plans, including the World Rally Championship as well as the Swedish Rally Championship. Today nothing can stop us, Klarin says, referring to the long term weather forecasts on his computer. Cold and lots of snow - so it says.

Picture:
Thumbs up from the clerk of the course - Mr Bertil Klarin - happy to declare that the winter has returned to the Region of Värmland. The rally will take place according to the plans February 7-10.

Salist
1st February 2008, 13:12
The temperature´s going down in Värmland. So everybody´s talking about Uddeholm Swedish Rally in the rally region.
- Of course there will be a rally this year - Mr Bertil Klarin clerk of the course - states with a smile. Always the same questions before the rally, but we have not been worried, it will be a perfect winter event, he says.

It´s now less than one week left to the start of the rally and the real winter has returned to Värmland. Cold weather from north with lots of snow has quickly changed the scenery.
- The favourable weather conditions allow us to prepare the rally roads perfectly, making them still better before the rally on February 7-10. We have already been sprinkling the surface of the shake down and the Karlstad Super Special Stage, both situated within the Rally Village in the central parts of Karlstad, Klarin says.

He had some busy days last week answering questions about the hot stuff - the weather.
- Same procedure every year - Klarin continues - in Monte Carlo there will always pop up rumours that Uddeholm Swedish Rally will be cancelled. For the last 17 years this has been false.
- We are following the plans, including the World Rally Championship as well as the Swedish Rally Championship. Today nothing can stop us, Klarin says, referring to the long term weather forecasts on his computer. Cold and lots of snow - so it says.

Picture:
Thumbs up from the clerk of the course - Mr Bertil Klarin - happy to declare that the winter has returned to the Region of Värmland. The rally will take place according to the plans February 7-10.

RicKT
1st February 2008, 13:42
above post..

Good little bit of info there!

Looking forward to it now.... only 2 days left in work!! LOL!!

well for the next 2 years they wont have to worry about it..

Rick

pettersolberg29
1st February 2008, 18:19
Does anyone know the stage times in GMT?

Wondering if we'll be able to follow it here, especially when I'm at uni.

RicKT
1st February 2008, 19:02
Does anyone know the stage times in GMT?

Wondering if we'll be able to follow it here, especially when I'm at uni.

Sweden is GMT + 1 --- ie.. one hour ahead of UK time...

Rick

N
1st February 2008, 19:04
There is one hour difference between UK and Sweden.

Stage times are on the website:
http://www.swerally.se/resources/documents/usr_2008_fia_version_3.1_day_1.pdf
http://www.swerally.se/resources/documents/usr_2008_fia_version_3.1_day_2.pdf
http://www.swerally.se/resources/documents/usr_2008_fia_version_3.1_day_3.pdf

Do they charge for parking at the stages? I saw on the website that it costs 40SEK for car parking??

Viktory
1st February 2008, 19:21
yes, that's correct, 40 SEK for parking.

markgp4
1st February 2008, 19:22
some great info on last couple of pages,if they"re predicting this to be the best rally for some years,i think if weather holds to recent forecasts we are in for a real treat and let the swedish rally show the FIA that it truly deserves to be on wrc calendar.Anyone agree?

N
1st February 2008, 21:07
yes, that's correct, 40 SEK for parking.

Is there any way to get around this? :D any tips? :) aren't you allowed to park on the side of the road. Normally, we go to 2 out of 3 stages in the morning and then 2 out of 3 in the afternoon, but I'll probably have to rethink this and maybe only go 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon.

Salist
1st February 2008, 21:07
Could you help me?
How much a litre of 95 gasoline costs in Karlstad?
I can pay with euro or with a Swedish crown?

SubaruNorway
1st February 2008, 21:09
Heard something about some Italians testing theire S2000 cars in Norway on sunday before Sweden, but there's no italians with S2000 on the entrylist. Anyone know anything?

pettersolberg29
1st February 2008, 21:31
Sweden is GMT + 1 --- ie.. one hour ahead of UK time...

Rick

Cheers - that's good timing 'cos I've got a PC lesson last period Friday so can check the results then!

RicKT
1st February 2008, 21:40
Is there any way to get around this? :D any tips? :) aren't you allowed to park on the side of the road. Normally, we go to 2 out of 3 stages in the morning and then 2 out of 3 in the afternoon, but I'll probably have to rethink this and maybe only go 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon.

The thing is that a lot of the stages are only accessed by single lane roads, ie B Roads in UK terms, Marshalls stand on the enterance of this requesting payment and then its noramally around a 1-5 km drive upto a parking area...

if you know the area, you can always use other roads where marshall are not located..

Rick

J4MIE
1st February 2008, 23:13
Could you help me?
How much a litre of 95 gasoline costs in Karlstad?
I can pay with euro or with a Swedish crown?

According to http://www.see-search.com/business/fuelandpetrolpriceseurope.htm the price is 82p/litre, which is about SEK 9.8, but I am not sure how recently that has been updated.

Micke_VOC
2nd February 2008, 00:05
According to http://www.see-search.com/business/fuelandpetrolpriceseurope.htm the price is 82p/litre, which is about SEK 9.8, but I am not sure how recently that has been updated.

That i really wrong..

Around 12.00 - 12.50 SEK/ litre now...

RicKT
2nd February 2008, 00:16

it was around Ł1.00 GBP per litre last year... around 12 kr,

Rick

gareth
2nd February 2008, 08:17
Hi,

Things looking good for the rally, been checking the weather daily, and snow seems to be the norm now :)

3rd time to the swedish rally, and looking forward to it!! Flying in to Oslo wednesday then travelling up to Ransatter to our usual accomodation.

2 days left in work and cant wait!!

Tom206wrc
2nd February 2008, 09:40
Heard something about some Italians testing theire S2000 cars in Norway on sunday before Sweden, but there's no italians with S2000 on the entrylist. Anyone know anything?

I'm also curious to read the explanation :confused:

Micke_VOC
2nd February 2008, 11:26

Maybe Fiat team and Kristian Sohlberg testing for Swedish rally ?

DonJippo
2nd February 2008, 11:36
Maybe Fiat team and Kristian Sohlberg testing for Swedish rally ?

Could be although week ago he was not sure if he will have money to come to Sweden.

Slipzen
2nd February 2008, 12:48
Daniel Carlsson has closed a sponsor deal with the company Nordisk Mobiltelefon (Nordic Mobilephone). Nordisk Mobiltelefon is an official partner to Uddeholm Swedish Rally and provides Mobile broadband services in the Nordic countries. In co-operation with Nordisk Mobiltelefon Daniel is planning to broadcast live in-car pictures from the stages. This is not allowed by the ISC since they own all rights for the WRC. Hence, Daniel will only do the Swedish Championship part where the ISC does not have the rights.

Koppomsbo
2nd February 2008, 13:42

Dont know anything about that but i belive Sandell will do a final test on sunday somewhere around Kongsvinger

markgp4
2nd February 2008, 13:54
is anyone having problems logging on to roadcams near hagfors? or any other webcams for swedish rally?

hari
2nd February 2008, 13:59
is anyone having problems logging on to roadcams near hagfors? or any other webcams for swedish rally?

Here are the webcams in the rally area also linked and work:
http://www.vaermlaender.de/html/webcams.php

Nice snowing at the moment

Tom206wrc
2nd February 2008, 14:01
Daniel Carlsson has closed a sponsor deal with the company Nordisk Mobiltelefon (Nordic Mobilephone). Nordisk Mobiltelefon is an official partner to Uddeholm Swedish Rally and provides Mobile broadband services in the Nordic countries. In co-operation with Nordisk Mobiltelefon Daniel is planning to broadcast live in-car pictures from the stages. This is not allowed by the ISC since they own all rights for the WRC. Hence, Daniel will only do the Swedish Championship part where the ISC does not have the rights.

Thanks for these interesting news :)

EDIT: and can't wait to see his whale's livery :bounce:

Tom206wrc
2nd February 2008, 14:02
Dont know anything about that but i belive Sandell will do a final test on sunday somewhere around Kongsvinger

Has he already tested once the 207 then ??? :confused:

Koppomsbo
2nd February 2008, 14:28
Has he already tested once the 207 then ??? :confused:

Ok, maybe i should have said test :)

Tom206wrc
2nd February 2008, 14:30
Yes it's better then :p :

Viktory
2nd February 2008, 14:34
Might get a bit muddy on the Saturday.... http://www.yr.no/sted/Sverige/V%E4rmland/Hagfors/langtidsvarsel.html
+6 predicted for Hagfors, wonder if they will be able to drive all the SM cars.

Salist
2nd February 2008, 14:55
Thanks.

Salist
2nd February 2008, 14:57
That i really wrong..

Around 12.00 - 12.50 SEK/ litre now...

Thanks Micke.

RicKT
2nd February 2008, 15:19
Might get a bit muddy on the Saturday.... http://www.yr.no/sted/Sverige/V%E4rmland/Hagfors/langtidsvarsel.html
+6 predicted for Hagfors, wonder if they will be able to drive all the SM cars.

Maybe...

But if you look at the other forecast BELOW for HAGFORS its a different story.. max of 1'c and low -6

I think we will just have to wait and see.

Rick

Roy
2nd February 2008, 15:32
Is this the official Uddeholm Swedish Rally Thread? I hope not, because this in the spectator Stage part. When do you have news, can you put in a new thread.

RicKT
2nd February 2008, 17:56
Is this the official Uddeholm Swedish Rally Thread? I hope not, because this in the spectator Stage part. When do you have news, can you put in a new thread.

No.. This is not the offical thread... its just turned into a chat about anything to do with the Swedish Rally, To start with it was whos going, whats stages and then moved onto advice, weather and more weather...

In regards to news..... the only news really is that the rally will go ahead...

Rick

jparker
2nd February 2008, 19:07

Finally!!!!!!!!! It was about time somebody show ISC how to make live broadcasting.

SubaruNorway
2nd February 2008, 19:50
I'm also curious to read the explanation :confused:

Turned out to be an Italian with one N4 EVO lol
But Sveinung Bieltvedt is there tomorow in a N4 Impreza. so expect video and maybe even some inboard ;) He's at 3:50 in this video http://videos.streetfire.net/video/161d00b3-bce5-49da-b459-9a30002605a3.htm

ln-ops
2nd February 2008, 20:44
In co-operation with Nordisk Mobiltelefon Daniel is planning to broadcast live in-car pictures from the stages. This is not allowed by the ISC since they own all rights for the WRC. Hence, Daniel will only do the Swedish Championship part where the ISC does not have the rights.

Great news... lets just hope that Nordisk Mobiltelefon in Sweden have more reliable connection than their Norwegian counterpart (ice.no).

We're actually gonna use NM with a laptop hooked up to an projector and a big loud speaker system out in the rallyforest to keep track of split times, stage times, rallyradio and watch video from http://www.wrc.com :)

Really hope they have reliable communication "out there" ;)

Abarth
3rd February 2008, 07:53
Tip: Bring your rubber boots to fight the mud-war !

swordsman
3rd February 2008, 09:00
One decimetre of fresh snow in Karlstad this morning and still snowing...

pino
3rd February 2008, 09:16

Excellent news :D

Sulland
3rd February 2008, 10:25
What about the temperature, has it frozen below the snow ?

RicKT
3rd February 2008, 10:58

Good news..

Torsby and Sunne have had a good covering over night.. (see below)

Also.. so have Karlskoga,

Rick

MHjerpe
3rd February 2008, 17:29
Report from Karlstad Rally village... Citroen and Pirelli lorries is there...
Weather.... + and rain :( we had lots of snow yesterday.. but now raining away...

MHjerpe
3rd February 2008, 17:58
Some truckdrivers.. with frech registered lorries was caught in Göteborg with to much alcohol in the system... they had rallycars and rallyparts in the trucks.. ... hmmm ?

Koppomsbo
3rd February 2008, 18:52
Some truckdrivers.. with frech registered lorries was caught in Göteborg with to much alcohol in the system... they had rallycars and rallyparts in the trucks.. ... hmmm ?

The suzuki team is based in France??

Viktory
3rd February 2008, 22:14
I would just like to take this opportunity to inform everybody (especially foreigners who aren't used to driving in snowy/icy conditions). There have been a lot of fatal traffic accidents recently in Värmland due to the icy and snowy conditions. It has been very bad these last few days/week, mainly due to the large amounts of snow falling at once, and the varying temperature. If there is some rain/melted snow on the roads, this will freeze during the night and make it very slippery during the morning run up to the stages. Just be careful on the roads and don't stress to stages, think of your own safety and that of others!

I wish you all have good time next weekend! :)

swordsman
3rd February 2008, 22:17
I think the Citroen team. They arrived from south west (E45) today somewhere before noon!

Magnus
4th February 2008, 07:03
Guess some Citroën(?)-lorry drivers will be sacked. One of them was even taken into custody...

Tom206wrc
4th February 2008, 18:39
Has finally Daniel Carlsson chosen his codriver for this week-end??? :confused:

RicKT
4th February 2008, 21:11
I would just like to take this opportunity to inform everybody (especially foreigners who aren't used to driving in snowy/icy conditions). There have been a lot of fatal traffic accidents recently in Värmland due to the icy and snowy conditions. It has been very bad these last few days/week, mainly due to the large amounts of snow falling at once, and the varying temperature. If there is some rain/melted snow on the roads, this will freeze during the night and make it very slippery during the morning run up to the stages. Just be careful on the roads and don't stress to stages, think of your own safety and that of others!

I wish you all have good time next weekend! :)

Thanks for the advice, i was reading about the accident up on the E45 North of Torbsy yesterday. RIP.

One word of advice, as i have been out in Sweden before and witnessed the conditions on the roads, All i can say is "respect" the snow while driving, dont get cocky with it or it soon get you big time!!!

Rick

Viktory
4th February 2008, 21:50
Has finally Daniel Carlsson chosen his codriver for this week-end??? :confused:

He's probably chosen one, but hasn't announced who it is, to my recollection. He will hold a press conference on Wednesday the 6th, I guess we will find out then.