PDA

View Full Version : WRC on Dave TV in 2008

sal
20th December 2007, 16:43
Hot news just released, WRC is to be on the "DAVE" channel next year :-)

UKTV channel Dave has struck its biggest original content deal since its October rebrand, snatching the UK rights to the World Rally Championships from ITV.

The coverage, previously screened on ITV4, will appear as a weekly 60-minute Sunday night show in early peaktime. It will be produced by North One, which owns the championship's global rights controller International Sportsworld Communicators.
UKTV controller Matthew Littleford said he wanted to add more original content to Dave's repeats of shows such as QI and The Apprentice, along the lines of the output of ITV's digital channels.
"You have to innovate and can't rely on content that has sat on other platforms," he said. "If there's an idea that's good enough and that works for the target audience, we will see if we can make it work."
UKTV acting head of commissioning Jane Rogerson secured the UK rights in a three-year deal. The WRC will air on Dave for between 40 and 50 weeks of the year.
Motoring is emerging as a cornerstone of Dave's schedule. Reruns of Top Gear attract its biggest audience, pulling in more than 500,000 viewers, while the final of Dave commission Car of the Year attracted around 360,000.
Rogerson said: "Rallying has a huge following in Britain and we're looking forward to working with North One to bring the championships to as wide an audience as possible."
Dave's highest-profile commission to date is puppet-fronted panel game And Then You Die, which attracted around 130,000 viewers in a late evening slot. Littleford is weighing up a second run. In the first month since its relaunch, Dave averaged a 1.32% share in multichannel homes and a 3.2% share among men aged 16 to 34.

RS
20th December 2007, 17:23
From one repeats channel to another. Perhaps a slightly better fit than ITV4 but so much for a return for ITV1.

Allyc85
20th December 2007, 17:58
What a f***ing disgrace WRC gets pushed further n further down the pecking order and put onto a channel which shows week old repeats. Its no wonder alot of people are turning off when it gets moved every year and shown at stupid times. Why would manufacturers sign up to a sport when alot of fans dont get access to coverage.

Useless twats...

c4
20th December 2007, 18:06
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wrc/news/158262-0/uk_wrc_coverage_moves_to_dave.htmlThought the WRC in UK was appealing to a large female demographic, well, that was during the DR era. This just, imo, confirms the WRC as a minority sport consigned to minority channels. Wonder if North One have ditched the 24hr channel. The sport and the FIA need to be much more creative and proactive with TV. Stop tinkering and spin doctoring and just get it right.

Langdale Forest
20th December 2007, 18:27
If it is moved onto Dave the TV coverage could be better than the ITV4 coverage this year.

UKOG~Will
20th December 2007, 19:02
FFS, this is just stupid, the best form of motorsport on the planet having it's coverage shown on a channel called "Dave".

BBC ought to snap it up :D

MrJan
20th December 2007, 19:23
Will pretty much be same coverage I'd imagine. Honestly I don't care as long as they stop using virtual spectator all the time. Good for showing stage layout but I don't need to see what it looks like if two drivers start a stage at the same time while the REAL video is squashed into the corner.

ITV coverage has always been appalling and C4 was never brilliant. Bring back Tony Mason and Steve Rider.

BDunnell
20th December 2007, 19:33
What a f***ing disgrace WRC gets pushed further n further down the pecking order and put onto a channel which shows week old repeats. Its no wonder alot of people are turning off when it gets moved every year and shown at stupid times. Why would manufacturers sign up to a sport when alot of fans dont get access to coverage.

Useless twats...

The two things are inextricably linked.

It is a shame that TV coverage now is the be-all and end-all. It wasn't always thus. The WRC used to be great without any TV coverage to speak of in the UK with the exception of 15-minute highlights items of a few foreign events and the RAC coverage.

c4
20th December 2007, 19:44
ITV coverage has always been appalling and C4 was never brilliant. Bring back Tony Mason and Steve Rider.
Would like to see Mark James back.

Viktory
20th December 2007, 19:52
At least I'll be able to watch it now!! :D

Langdale Forest
20th December 2007, 19:54
One of the disadvantages (for me), is that i can't record the rallyes anymore because i do not have a DVD recorder and I can't record from the didgibox.

Frozzy
20th December 2007, 21:38
get john deresbourgh (?) and mike brewer doing the presenting for the wrc!

Daniel
20th December 2007, 22:04
This is great. Dave will treat the WRC with the respect it deserves. AFAIK the BBC is very much involved with the WRC. This again is a good thing.

AndyRAC
20th December 2007, 22:57
Have they snatched the rights or did ITV let them go? Putting it on ITV 4 showed they didn't really take the sport seriously. It really needs terrestrial TV coverage; BTCC, BSB, all get on ITV yet a World Championship can't.

sal
21st December 2007, 10:37
Earlier this year there was talk of a standalone "satellite" WRC channel that would allow North One/ISC/Whoever to broadcast the many hours of footage that never gets shown on the likes of Eurosport and the hour long reviews as well as the archive stuff they have. Looking at the text of this press release it looks as though "Dave" is planning to air other WRC footage so if this includes PWRC/JWRC and lots of special programmes then for one I'm quite happy.

Perhaps there is a small case of rose tinted glasses when people say the coverage was better in the good old days. Unlike many of you on here I grew up with the sporadic coverage given to what was then called the World Rally Championship by the BBC and ITV. Both used the footage supplied by Barrie Hinchcliffe/BHP and great coverage it was. However you never got every round and then quite often the coverage was binned at the last minute due to alleged infringment of cigarette advertising rules only for the rally to replaced by the Embassy snooker or Silk Cut horse racing! The RAC rally coverage by the BBC under the Top Gear banner was also excellent however this was in the days when the event ran over 4 or 5 days with 50+ stages around the UK allowing the outside broadcast crews to move between stages. This was supplemented by the local BBC stations covering thier local stages. Also one of the Sunday spectator stages was covered live.

But that was the past and with no top line drivers in the UK and "our " round of the Championship confined to one small area of Sth Wales it's hardly suprising that rallying cant get a mainstream tv slot.

Daniel
21st December 2007, 11:00
Yes but the coverage when you got it was good. I remember being angry when I missed a round on TV in Australia back when the coverage was good. But then they changed to the voiceover morons they have now, started using VS as a substitue for actual footage and it just started being crap. I'd prefer one good round with proper commentary and footage than 16 rounds as they are. In regards to the current coverage I can take it or leave it. I'll only be annoyed if I miss out seeing a really good fight.

I think the WRC is going to be a big thing for Dave rather than being a 3rd rate program for ITV (and that's saying something because ITV show a lot of rubbish).

Daniel
21st December 2007, 11:03
Have they snatched the rights or did ITV let them go? Putting it on ITV 4 showed they didn't really take the sport seriously. It really needs terrestrial TV coverage; BTCC, BSB, all get on ITV yet a World Championship can't.
BTCC is another rubbish series whose days getting terrestrial coverage are numbered IMHO. Can't honestly say I've ever bothered with BSB but BTCC these days sure is rubbish. Compare a mid to late 90's season review of the BTCC to a current one and you'll see why it was so popular. Good commentary, good drivers and excellent cars. Now it's none of those.

MrJan
21st December 2007, 11:50
Yeah I miss Charlie Cox for the touring cars, at least he does MotoGP. Also Murray was great :up:

One of the disadvantages (for me), is that i can't record the rallyes anymore because i do not have a DVD recorder and I can't record from the didgibox.

As long as both digibox and VCR have scart lead it is fairly easy, just needs a bit of playing around and change the input for the video.

Daniel
21st December 2007, 12:34
Yeah I miss Charlie Cox for the touring cars, at least he does MotoGP. Also Murray was great :up:

My favourite Charlie Cox quote is "He needed that like a third armpit" :rotflmao: Wtf?

Tomski
21st December 2007, 12:44
At least with WRC being Dave's jewel in the crown there's a good chance that they won't be mucking around the timings and scheduling like Eurosport & ITV1 & 4. Hopefully no more tuning in to find fat blokes throwing darts or lycra clad characters on ski's!

AndyRAC
21st December 2007, 13:14
At least with WRC being Dave's jewel in the crown there's a good chance that they won't be mucking around the timings and scheduling like Eurosport & ITV1 & 4. Hopefully no more tuning in to find fat blokes throwing darts or lycra clad characters on ski's!

Let's hope it is the jewel in their crown, and there is a lot of WRC coverage, i;e magazine programmes as well as the Rallies. Are they having presenters, or is it as now, i;e voiceovers?

UKOG~Will
21st December 2007, 16:41
They need Jon Desborough/Robbie Head back :D

Langdale Forest
21st December 2007, 16:52
I agree. :)

Larry_Japan
21st December 2007, 17:03
They need Jon Desborough/Robbie Head back :D

not likely - both on Sky now, i think. I'd like to see that Shakedown bloke do something with it... cut down the farting about, take the rally itself more seriously, but the attitude of that show was perfect, and the drivers came alive in those interviews. I agree with Daniel & Tomski - this might actually see a boost for the TV coverage of the rallies, as Dave promotes the hell out of it's shows.

Simmi
21st December 2007, 17:53
I imagine the format of the shows isnt going to change as it is the same people still making it. Maybe they will market Dave as a channel for petrol heads rather then 'the home of witty banter' or whatever it is now. I think most people genuinely do only watch it for Top Gear at the moment so why not put in some rallying. A dedicated channel would still be better but there's only so much you can put on it without it becoming repetitive very quickly.

I think the only thing it will miss from its association with ITV would be the links from their other ITV1 sports such as F1 and the BTCC to tell people when it is on.

BDunnell
21st December 2007, 23:31
BTCC is another rubbish series whose days getting terrestrial coverage are numbered IMHO. Can't honestly say I've ever bothered with BSB but BTCC these days sure is rubbish. Compare a mid to late 90's season review of the BTCC to a current one and you'll see why it was so popular. Good commentary, good drivers and excellent cars. Now it's none of those.

I think this is a series of sweeping statements worthy of some others on this forum, but this is hardly on topic so I won't go into that now.

Truth is that the WRC doesn't lend itself to coverage beyond what the BBC used to do with Mark James in the late 1990s, which, overall, was probably the best rallying programming there has ever been in the UK. The cigarette advertising issue had been sorted out, the commentary showed great expertise, it was long enough to work without loads of padding or gimmicks, and there were regular radio updates too.

Daniel
22nd December 2007, 06:57
I think this is a series of sweeping statements worthy of some others on this forum, but this is hardly on topic so I won't go into that now.

Truth is that the WRC doesn't lend itself to coverage beyond what the BBC used to do with Mark James in the late 1990s, which, overall, was probably the best rallying programming there has ever been in the UK. The cigarette advertising issue had been sorted out, the commentary showed great expertise, it was long enough to work without loads of padding or gimmicks, and there were regular radio updates too.
Sweeping statement? I guess it is but the BTCC is a shadow of it's former self and the drivers lineups are nowhere near as good.

RallyCat909
22nd December 2007, 16:55
Id like to see Mark James and Jeremy Hart in WRC again. The current ones make me fantasize about clipping vocal cords and taking pliers to the fingers of bad script writers.

UKOG~Will
23rd December 2007, 02:28
The current ones make me fantasize about clipping vocal cords and taking pliers to the fingers of bad script writers.

LMAO :rotflmao:

tintin
23rd December 2007, 18:28

ITV let it go - it wasn't getting enough viewers to justify being there, even though it wasn't costing them anything.

Simmi
23rd December 2007, 18:32
ITV let it go - it wasn't getting enough viewers to justify being there, even though it wasn't costing them anything.

That can't be good when it cant even secure its existence on a poxy channel like ITV4.

RS
23rd December 2007, 20:36

They should split the tv money between the manufacturers like they do in F1. Perhaps the teams could treat their drivers to a croissant at Rallye Monte Carlo, Ford might even be able to stretch to chocolate ones.

How bad did it get? I know they said after Monte last year something like 100,000 watched the highlights.

MikeWRC
23rd December 2007, 23:25
I think the only thing it will miss from its association with ITV would be the links from their other ITV1 sports such as F1 and the BTCC to tell people when it is on.
ITV had already cut that link anyway!
ITV seemed to have stopped giving WRC any mention in F1 or BTCC coverage a while ago. I don't know when they started doing it but certainly ITV1 gave WRC no mention towards the tail end of the season.
There was at least one time when the F1 and WRC shared the same weekend and, rather than mention the WRC coverage that would be starting in a couple of hours, they announced the time of the BTCC coverage that was on the next weekend.

ITV had clearly lost interest in WRC. That's acceptable if it's not deliverting viewing figures but they could have at least have made some effort to promote the sport.

I don't know if it moving to Dave is good news or bad news. It could be good if Dave actually make some sort of effort. However it could be bad if we get the same rubbish we've been getting this year. If it's the latter then it looks like WRC coverage in the UK is continuing a downhill spiral.

It's hard to think that I (we?) used to think that Channel 4 gave us a bad deal. Yes, they did frequently mess about with the scheduling but the coverage was still a lot better than what we get now. The fact they gave coverage at the end of each day was in itself a big advantage.
I remember I used to actually get excited about seeing the coverage, that's not something that I can say about what we've had for the last season.

tintin
23rd December 2007, 23:28
ITV had already cut that link anyway!
ITV seemed to have stopped giving WRC any mention in F1 or BTCC coverage a while ago. I don't know when they started doing it but certainly ITV1 gave WRC no mention towards the tail end of the season.
There was at least one time when the F1 and WRC shared the same weekend and, rather than mention the WRC coverage that would be starting in a couple of hours, they announced the time of the BTCC coverage that was on the next weekend.

At the same time though, Rally GB was promoted during the previous week's Champions League coverage, yet still only got a 1% audience share

Daniel
24th December 2007, 08:06
At the same time though, Rally GB was promoted during the previous week's Champions League coverage, yet still only got a 1% audience share
But if the coverage is crap then no one will watch regardless.

AndyRAC
24th December 2007, 08:17
The people filming haven't got a clue how to film the sport, it was better 10-15 years ago. ISC/F1A don't appear to care, the WRC takes place in some fantastic locations, make use of this.

Waldrons11
24th December 2007, 12:54

I have to disagree with you there, Ben Edwards (and Tim Harvey for that matter) are two of the best motorsport commentators around)

Waldrons11
24th December 2007, 12:56

And to be to fair to ITV4, they were pretty good at sticking to their 6pm on a Sunday slot (as well as all those extra documentaries)

MrJan
24th December 2007, 12:59
I have to disagree with you there, Ben Edwards (and Tim Harvey for that matter) are two of the best motorsport commentators around)

Balls! Far from being the worst but there are a lot of other people out there that are better, I find these two quite boring to be honest and don't think they suit the excitement that sometimes happens in the BTCC.

Waldrons11
24th December 2007, 13:06
Balls! Far from being the worst but there are a lot of other people out there that are better, I find these two quite boring to be honest and don't think they suit the excitement that sometimes happens in the BTCC.

Well, then there I guess we'll have to agree to disagree! It just goes to show as with all such things, it all comes down to personal taste.

RS
24th December 2007, 14:24
The people filming haven't got a clue how to film the sport, it was better 10-15 years ago. ISC/F1A don't appear to care, the WRC takes place in some fantastic locations, make use of this.

Agree there. The ISC crew somehow manage to make it look more boring than it actually is. Watch any amateur footage from around the net and it looks much more interesting. And thats before you even consider the dull voicovers blocking out the noise of the engines.

MrJan
24th December 2007, 17:27
Well, then there I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

I don't agree to that :D :p :

Daniel
24th December 2007, 18:05
Agree there. The ISC crew somehow manage to make it look more boring than it actually is. Watch any amateur footage from around the net and it looks much more interesting. And thats before you even consider the dull voicovers blocking out the noise of the engines.
Agreed and agreed :)

I hate the shots where the camera doesn't move and the car comes into shot and then out and then perhaps in again. Booooring. Then there is the overuse of the "oooh look at the wheel" shot

Daniel
24th December 2007, 18:06
Never complained about the commentary. Just that the series is crap compared to the mid to late 90's.

wrc_flipper
24th December 2007, 18:36
Wow! Something thats not 10+ years old on Dave.
Hope they keep up the coverage and not drop it. Seems like the last chance for WRC on UK tv! Only way we will get WRC can on a main stream channel is if Lewis Hamilton takes up Rallying!
Well something is better than nothing - so my new mate Dave said!

Neil J
28th December 2007, 14:47
Bring back Mark James :D

Whoever mentioned Desborough and Brewer - are you kidding, they were/are complete clowns. And Charlie Cox, give us a break! They`re all crap.

Toby Moody and Julian Ryder cover the MotoGP on Eurosport, now they are the best at what they do :D

Daniel
28th December 2007, 16:56
No one ever mentioned Charlie Cox as a rally commentator and he's not crap thankyouverymuch! He's about the best touring car/MotoGP commentator around.

Larry_Japan
6th January 2008, 18:24
Quote from Autosport:

"The move to the Dave channel means the WRC will be the number one sport on the station, whereas it was number seven at ITV4. As Dave is half-owned by the BBC, the WRC can also be screened by regional BBC stations."

The article also quotes the channel boss "Obviously, we're not going to alienate the hardcore rally fans, but at the same time we want to try to make it a bit more like Top Gear in its approach. We've got Neil Cole in as the presenter. Neil's covered the championship for AXN before and he's tailor-made for this job."

Langdale Forest
6th January 2008, 18:43
That will be intresting. :)

Simmi
6th January 2008, 19:27
I think one of people in the UK's biggest complaints about the old Channel 4 show was that there was too much emphasis on the presenters. I can see the same thing being the case here for the Dave stuff.

But then again there is always Eurosport for no-nonsense coverage and anything that improves the ratings cant be a bad thing. Lets see what happens.

bf1_IRL
6th January 2008, 20:31
Hour slot on the 20th (2008 Preview) info here:
http://uktv.co.uk/uktv/tv/currentDate/2008-01-20/startTime/18
http://uktv.co.uk/dave/episode/listing_id/77792312/channel_id/3882

MikeWRC
6th January 2008, 22:32
Based on the Autosport article, this does sound reasonably positive and should be a step in the right direction.
Hardcore fans might not quite get the coverage they would ideally like but at least Dave are taking WRC seriously.

I actually liked the channel 4 coverage. There may be was a bit too much non-action related stuff but I thought they did a good job of making the coverage exciting. I always used to be genuinely excited when that theme music started (which, in itself was great!) I certainly can't say the same about the international feed on ITV4, there's been times I haven't bothered watching it.

Hopefully, with there being a program on pretty much every week, they will be able to get a good balance of covering the action of the rally and of the top gear type stuff. It would be nice if we could get more than just an hour on rally weekends though!

ShiftingGears
7th January 2008, 06:55
I hope this means no more **** boring commentators!

AndyRAC
8th January 2008, 09:38
I hope this means no more **** boring commentators!

I would've thought the coverage will be the same ISC coverage as we've had before, just there will be a presenter to link it all. While it's great it's got a dedicated slot I think it's telling that ITV4 dropped it, and it was only their 7th sport. Not sure what to make of the fact that 'Dave' is a repeat channel...

Daniel
8th January 2008, 09:42
Yes but Dave is close to all the big channels. It's nice and easy to memorise at 111 for Sky viewers and it probably won't be on in crap timeslots because although it's a small thing for ITV it's a big thing for Dave.

wrc_flipper
8th January 2008, 10:16
I would've thought the coverage will be the same ISC coverage as we've had before, just there will be a presenter to link it all. While it's great it's got a dedicated slot I think it's telling that ITV4 dropped it, and it was only their 7th sport. Not sure what to make of the fact that 'Dave' is a repeat channel...

Dave's viewing figures for TopGear and other repeats are very good for that type of channel and UKTV want to start doing some original programming to capture and get more viewers / advertisers etc.

Filling 40+ 51min programmes with 14 (12 next couple of years) rallies may be a bit challenging, what would be good if they done the Sunday show with lots of stage views and the next couple of weeks with analysis etc.

I did like the Channel4 shows, they had enough time to do longer interviews and also see some scenery plus lots of the action from the stages.

Its all-good news getting dedicated coverage for the next 3years and with a descent presenter and a free access channel – could have been a lots worse!

RS
8th January 2008, 15:35
Yes but Dave is close to all the big channels. It's nice and easy to memorise at 111 for Sky viewers and it probably won't be on in crap timeslots because although it's a small thing for ITV it's a big thing for Dave.

I think it's on at the same timselot as ITV4 showed it. Dave is a better match though and the presenter led show should be better than the numbing blandness that ISC prepare. I do fear though that the sport itself is going to have to get more exciting too to significantly build on the figures which ITV4 were getting.

Simmi
8th January 2008, 18:44
Please tell me the Monte Carlo thing on wrc.com with Neil is not the type of **** we can expect from this deal.

Dont think he mentions rallying once...

RS
8th January 2008, 19:53
Please tell me the Monte Carlo thing on wrc.com with Neil is not the type of **** we can expect from this deal.

That's not true. The pretty girly is going to see the rally because the cars are noisy.

Roy
8th January 2008, 20:03
He: Do you watch rally
She: I go to the GP, I like the noisy cars.
IMO this video belongs not on a rally site, but it is WRC.com :\

Larry_Japan
8th January 2008, 20:06

That video's some cringey sh!! isn't it. I hope Dave doesn't go that way...

Don't panic though, I think the blokes got proper rallying credentials too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSlTw0k5bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pq6xqHAJVo

...and he's done Race Of Champions for the last couple of years, I think.

SubaruNorway
8th January 2008, 20:23

Thats not the fun part about shakedown the interviews with the drivers are, shakedown was more a lifestyle program with rallying in addition.

Daniel
8th January 2008, 21:24
That video's some cringey sh!! isn't it. I hope Dave doesn't go that way...

Don't panic though, I think the blokes got proper rallying credentials too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSlTw0k5bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pq6xqHAJVo

...and he's done Race Of Champions for the last couple of years, I think.
At least he's actually interesting. I bet you could get the current people to commentate on Heidi Klum dancing naked and they'd make you want to switch off.

Simmi
8th January 2008, 21:59
Yeah my issue isn't with Neil Cole as such he is better then most presenters.

I liked the Shakedown idea of going behind the scenes and seeing different aspects of rally life. More of that would be great but the lifestyle stuff is kind of lost on me. I dont really see what Neil skiing or Neil wrestling or Neil flirting with that woman fits in with rallying. But we'll see what happens there's no point complaining before a show has been aired.

gloomyDAY
11th January 2008, 05:05
I just hope someone will put this footage on torrents.

AndyRAC
13th January 2008, 22:58
I haven't yet seen any adverts for the coverage. Or have I missed them?

Daniel
13th January 2008, 23:29
There have been ads :) Quite good ones I must say!

wrc_flipper
14th January 2008, 09:08

One on this morning between Airport and TOTP2 - 15secs of Citreon say World Rally Championships comming soon to Daave. - I had not seen any until then.

MrJan
14th January 2008, 13:56
Yeah I've seen a couple of adverts. Just footage of one car, no music which seems like agood sign as they don't feel the need to jazz it up with music and cuts :up:

Langdale Forest
18th January 2008, 18:14
There is a programme at 6pm on Sunday.

wrc_flipper
18th January 2008, 18:23
There is a programme at 6pm on Sunday.

Yep and every Sunday at 6pm for the next 40+ weeks! :)
http://uktv.co.uk/dave/stepbystep/aid/597844

gloomyDAY
19th January 2008, 03:16
Someone record this please!

Make it into a torrent for the love of God.

Simmi
20th January 2008, 18:47
Pretty decent show so far. Same music and style as previous years but a decent championship preview none the less. If they can keep it going at this level through out the year it will be good.

Langdale Forest
20th January 2008, 19:21
The show was quite good. :)
It will be intresting to have a new show every time instead the shows they kept repeating on ITV4 at the end of last year.

Daniel
20th January 2008, 19:36
It's a pity that Paul King is still doing the voiceovers.

MJW
20th January 2008, 19:40
Not a bad preview programme, one thing that I noticed was the quotes about the new Pirelli tyres, one driver said "it will be more difficult, last year we had 4 choices of tyre and it will now be difficult to be on the right tyre every time" another driver said "one tyre, same for all" the second driver was a Norwegian, the first - well just guess...........

bryst
21st January 2008, 09:27
Eurosport are showing a daily 30 min programme as usual from Thursday at their usual ridiculous time of 00:30am probably delayed by the figure skating. Looks like we will have to set our sky+ to record the riveting sport of figure skating before and TV shop after just to make sure we get it.

BeerBro
21st January 2008, 19:14
any sign of a torrent for this anywhere?

Simmi
21st January 2008, 20:33
I even saw rallying on Dave advertised on a billboard today. Dont know if i've ever seen rallying advertised on a billboard. Can't be bad hopefully Dave will keep up the good work.

SubaruNorway
21st January 2008, 20:33
Pm me if anyones got a torrent for it ;)

gloomyDAY
22nd January 2008, 02:50
Pm me if anyones got a torrent for it ;) I'm hunting. Someone shoot me a PM if you find it!

DoN_cz
22nd January 2008, 21:14
Same here please! I can`t imagine i`d have to miss this show as they dont broadcast it in here :(

gloomyDAY
23rd January 2008, 05:52
Found it!

SubaruNorway
23rd January 2008, 17:46
Yes!!!! got it, "R-U.com" for short for you who know the site :D

DoN_cz
23rd January 2008, 17:49
great, thanks!

I liked the show, some interesting stuff there and its very nicely made. good job

BeerBro
23rd January 2008, 19:55
awesome find. thanks again :)

Neil J
23rd January 2008, 20:23
Yes!!!! got it, "R-U.com" for short for you who know the site :D

Could someone PM me a direct link as I cant find it.

grugsticles
24th January 2008, 21:06
Ditto to the above - pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

RallyCat909
25th January 2008, 01:17
That makes three of us, PM me as well please!

Langdale Forest
25th January 2008, 07:29
The St Pierreville stage is shorter than last year.

Res Ipsa Loquitur
26th January 2008, 10:24
Dave is my favourite digital channel. From what I saw on the preview it should be good. It couldnt be any worse than ITV1 coverage.

GigiGalliNo1
26th January 2008, 14:26
Its in [[ W I D E S C R E E N ]] too :D

Simmi
27th January 2008, 18:47
It's a bit light on actual coverage of the rally, but it does give a different perspective of things. Like going behind the scenes which is ok. It's a good companion to the straight coverage that can be found on eurosport.

Daniel
27th January 2008, 19:12
Yeah I think they'd need 2 hours to give proper coverage. But it was good.

pavlos_a
28th January 2008, 09:04
PM for me too pleaseeeee

AndyRAC
28th January 2008, 09:13
Yeah I think they'd need 2 hours to give proper coverage. But it was good.

Maybe that's what next weeks programme will be for, would liked to have seen the top 3 interviewed, plus the team bosses. I'd probably give it 7/10.

Mark
28th January 2008, 10:25
A good start IMO. They really look like they are putting effort into it, although the presenter was a bit cheesy at times "This really IS access all areas".. "OOh look I'm in a helicopter aren't I brilliant".. yes, less of yourself and more of the drivers please.

But overall I'm impressed and it is good that it is always on at 6pm every Sunday, wether there is a rally or not.

I am evil Homer
28th January 2008, 10:32
5/10 from me:

Not enough rally action.

Not enough coverage of anyone other than Loeb, Hirvonen and Matthew Wilson! I remember seeing a Suzuki three times and some 'hilarious' (they weren't) chats with Galli.

Nothing of the other classes

Too much of the presenter round Monaco - who cares

The "I just hit some...nevermind they're French" comment in the remote service. Yeah, hilarious....

AndyRAC
28th January 2008, 10:42
5/10 from me:

Not enough rally action.

Not enough coverage of anyone other than Loeb, Hirvonen and Matthew Wilson! I remember seeing a Suzuki three times and some 'hilarious' (they weren't) chats with Galli.

The "I just hit some...nevermind they're French" comment in the remote service. Yeah, hilarious....

Agree about the 'not enough action' i;e Col de Turini -showed a few cars, then jumped to the Monaco SS, missed 2 stages out.

PuddleJumper
28th January 2008, 10:47
5/10 from me:

Not enough rally action.

Yeah. Too much potatoes, not enough meat!

The preview show last week was alright, but the Monte review really didn't impress. Why can't the presenter be seen on screen for just a minute at the beginning of the show and then allow the rest to be filled with the on-stage action and service park interviews? I had hoped that with the BBC being part-owners of Dave they might've come up with the goods, but no, it's the same drivel we were subjected to on C4 and in the early ITV days.

What's wrong with good old-fashioned factual reporting? I still cringe when the commentator feigns surprise at seeing someone go off the road. We know it's going to happen, they know it's going to happen, why can't they just show what happens and describe it normally?

Mark James where are you? :bigcry:

PuddleJumper
28th January 2008, 10:50
Agree about the 'not enough action' i;e Col de Turini -showed a few cars, then jumped to the Monaco SS, missed 2 stages out.
Yes. That and most of the stages from day 2. What rubbish!

AndyRAC
28th January 2008, 10:52
Yeah. Too much potatoes, not enough meat!

The preview show last week was alright, but the Monte review really didn't impress. Why can't the presenter be seen on screen for just a minute at the beginning of the show and then allow the rest to be filled with the on-stage action and service park interviews? I had hoped that with the BBC being part-owners of Dave they might've come up with the goods, but no, it's the same drivel we were subjected to on C4 and in the early ITV days.

What's wrong with good old-fashioned factual reporting? I still cringe when the commentator feigns surprise at seeing someone go off the road. We know it's going to happen, they know it's going to happen, why can't they just show what happens and describe it normally?

Mark James where are you? :bigcry:

Agree with that. Where is Mark James?? He used to come on here...last heard him on Rally GB, for Globecast Radio, as usual did a great job,it's criminal he's not involved in the WRC.

Mark
28th January 2008, 10:57
Remember that the coverage was not intended to appeal to anyone who posts on this forum. The person watching 'Dave' on Sunday may never have seen WRC before.

MrJan
28th January 2008, 11:15
Rallying doesn't have that many new fans and most of us come from families that are interested so know all about it. I think the show is well presented but it should be seperate from the action. It seemed like there was less actual rallying than when the Beeb ran a half hour round up. Also we know that it's not live so why does it have to be presented as if it is. Far too little in terms of proper stages and not enough drivers shown and also a tendancy to rely on in-car cameras rather than proper external shots that show what the car is doing

Larry_Japan
28th January 2008, 11:26
The show was great for a new audience; we've got wrc.com & eurosport for the in-depth coverage. Dave is an entertainment channel. It had about 35 mins of pure coverage, in my estimate.

AndyRAC
28th January 2008, 11:32
I just wonder what the Manufacturers make of the coverage. Is it really value for money, after all, they're in it to sell cars. I know Citroen have complained that the TV is abysmal in the past. The other media coverage was extremely poor, papers and radio, aaaaghh!! Virtually ignored- just wait till F1 is back, the Hamilton love-fest,... http://www.britishrally.co.uk/rally/images/smiles/smiley7.gif

Mark
28th January 2008, 12:29
The show was great for a new audience; we've got wrc.com & eurosport for the in-depth coverage. Dave is an entertainment channel. It had about 35 mins of pure coverage, in my estimate.

I'd say less than that, more like 20 minutes. Remember the show is only about 45 minutes long once you take the adverts out.

PuddleJumper
28th January 2008, 13:22
Remember that the coverage was not intended to appeal to anyone who posts on this forum. The person watching 'Dave' on Sunday may never have seen WRC before.
And after Sunday's show they still haven't!

Anti-Lag-Rocks
28th January 2008, 13:52
5/10 from me:

Not enough rally action.

I was gutted really. Last year's coverage would have focused on the excellent fight for 3rd place stage by stage. As a big Atkinson fan, being out on the stages, I was getting SMS's of the stage times and I knew it was going to be close and a hell of a fight.

I had to fly back from Nice earlier than I had wanted and only just got the SMS confirming the 3rd place at the airport, so could not wait to get home to see the footage of the flight... apart from a bit of SSS that was it! It was an amazing close finish from two young guns, and yet they had to see how M.Wilson was doing etc.

Don't get me wrong - go for the Brit angle to get more viewers, but it is not everyday that a places are decided on the last stage. We also got to see only one interview with Chris and no footage of him on the podium either.

I hope that now that they have got all of the 'intro' stuff out of the way that the coverage can get better from now on.

MrJan
28th January 2008, 14:01

And what about those of us that don't want to spend out on cable or Sky just to get eurosport? The number of people in this country that follow rallying justify decent coverage instead of this crap.

And after Sunday's show they still haven't!

:laugh:

AndyRAC
28th January 2008, 14:17
And what about those of us that don't want to spend out on cable or Sky just to get eurosport? The number of people in this country that follow rallying justify decent coverage instead of this crap.

:laugh:

I'd like to think you're right, that there is a huge following for Rallying. But I'm not so sure, maybe we just have to accept it's a monority sport and accept any coverage we get.

J4MIE
28th January 2008, 14:34
Well I forgot all about the coverage last night, and I have to say I'm not really that bothered :s Did see a clip of Sordo on youtube, and the questions Neil Cole asked him were.........idiotic really.

"Did you decide to go off the road or what?"
"So any chance to restart tomorrow?"

And the best ever..... "How do you feel?"

:rolleyes: Dani should have thumped him.

Larry_Japan
28th January 2008, 15:13
Well I forgot all about the coverage last night, and I have to say I'm not really that bothered :s Did see a clip of Sordo on youtube, and the questions Neil Cole asked him were.........idiotic really.

"Did you decide to go off the road or what?"
"So any chance to restart tomorrow?"

And the best ever..... "How do you feel?"

:rolleyes: Dani should have thumped him.

I've watched that full interview too... what the hell is "idiotic" about it?! It's obvious that the interviewer has only just heard over the scanners that Sordo is off the road, and is the first person to get to him after he's been flown back to Valence. Without that, there's no interview at all. Also, he answers frankly about the possibility of Super Rally... and it's good journalism, rather than bad, to ask "are you disappointed". That's how you get a reaction.

MrJan
28th January 2008, 15:42
I'd like to think you're right, that there is a huge following for Rallying. But I'm not so sure, maybe we just have to accept it's a monority sport and accept any coverage we get.

Have you any idea how many people go to Rally GB? It's something ridiculous in excess of a lot of other sports in the country. If the WRC was back on a real channel it could actually get some decent viewing figures.

Elgin Man
28th January 2008, 16:54
I never quite knew what the man thought when Neil asked him to use some of the fule :S

SubaruNorway
28th January 2008, 17:05
Wats the point in having more actualy rally coverage when you can get that elsewere, i would like more behind the scenes and the good old jokes with the drivers like shakedown had.

AndyRAC
28th January 2008, 20:42
Have you any idea how many people go to Rally GB? It's something ridiculous in excess of a lot of other sports in the country. If the WRC was back on a real channel it could actually get some decent viewing figures.

Er yes, I'm quite aware, I have been going for 15 years and following it since I was a child. It used to be the largest sporting event in the UK, it's still biggish - about 70-80,000 I believe.
I tell you my problem, they say it won't get mainstream TV coverage because there is no leading Brit. Well didn't Matt Wilson finish in the top 12-15 in last years WRC. Well then, compare that with Tennis, isn't it 1 Brit in the top 10-15, the rest are all outside the top 100 - that doesn't stop Tennis getting coverage on TV, Radio and papers. Why??? I tell you, its the old boys network, biased, favouritism towards a elitist sport. It stinks, it really does.

tintin
28th January 2008, 23:17

They used to claim 250,000 people.
But the real figure for 2006 was only 30,000 - as revealed by Motorsport News.
Can't think 2007 was any higher given the terrible weather.

MrJan
28th January 2008, 23:48
That's because they've started charging stupid amounts of money when you can only see a couple of stages.

While we're on the subject of media coverage The Times today did not even have one paragraph about the rally, only a leaderboard tucked away in a sports roundup. The sad thing is they mentioned it (two sentances) earlier in the event.

AndyRAC
29th January 2008, 08:34
That's because they've started charging stupid amounts of money when you can only see a couple of stages.

While we're on the subject of media coverage The Times today did not even have one paragraph about the rally, only a leaderboard tucked away in a sports roundup. The sad thing is they mentioned it (two sentances) earlier in the event.

Mmm, and and I bought it specially for that. They usually have a Monte report from what I remember. Hugely disappointed with the UK media, there really is no excuse. They're guilty as charged!!!

Larry_Japan
29th January 2008, 08:40
... and whatever you say about the balance of action > fluff in the dave show, I hear it's already getting around the 250,000 mark for each viewing, which means about 1,000,000 UK viewers might have watched the Monte show & its repeats by the end of the week. On ITV the WRC sunday coverage peaked at about 180,000. That can only help boost the sport's profile, which can only be a good thing?

Mark
29th January 2008, 09:22
The RAC used to get massive attendances because it covered nearly the entire country, so there were lots of people who had a stage local to them. For myself I could have gone to a stage within 30 minutes drive or more within 1 hours drive. But now it's a 6 hour drive just to get there, is it any wonder attendances are down?

tintin
29th January 2008, 12:52
... and whatever you say about the balance of action > fluff in the dave show, I hear it's already getting around the 250,000 mark for each viewing, which means about 1,000,000 UK viewers might have watched the Monte show & its repeats by the end of the week.

Hardly.
The first showing had 288,000 viewers.
The second had just 19,000.

If the total audience across a week worth of repeats even hits 400,000 I'll be very surprised.

And bear in mind that the Monte generally gets three times as many viewers as any other rally, so I doubt figures like this will last for the whole season.

RS
29th January 2008, 16:59
Hardly.
The first showing had 288,000 viewers.
The second had just 19,000.

If the total audience across a week worth of repeats even hits 400,000 I'll be very surprised.

And bear in mind that the Monte generally gets three times as many viewers as any other rally, so I doubt figures like this will last for the whole season.

Ooooo dear. There are 2 ways to look at this; one is it could get better with the regular timselot, the second is that it will die off after usual Monte-mania and initial promotion.

Eurosport look like they have also shunted it on later, but why not when they have their own rally series to promote?

I watched the Dave footage on repeat last night. Not quite sure what to think of it really...

markrally
29th January 2008, 21:01
Agree with that. Where is Mark James?? He used to come on here...last heard him on Rally GB, for Globecast Radio, as usual did a great job,it's criminal he's not involved in the WRC.

Did someone call?

I still frequent the forums, although I'm in no position to pass comment on the TV coverage (apart from the period when the BBC had the rights). In any case, I haven't seen the Monte coverage (I was playing with the new Audi RS6 in, er, southern France on Sunday/Monday......)

One thing I will/can say - someone has queried why rallying doesn't get the radio coverage it once had. There's a very good reason and it has nothing to do with the state the WRC is in or whether there's a British driver in the series.

Probably best for all concerned if we leave it at that.

MJ

PS Thanks for the comments about Wales Rally FM - I really enjoyed the weekend and I hope it came across. I've already been asked back for this year, so I can't have been that bad......

jonas_mcrae
29th January 2008, 21:28
I dont have Dave tv I've just seen the adverts. I guess I will continue watching the Eurosport coverage, which is well... the same it has always been, quite decent. looking forward to watch it today 10.30pm, at least is not at 7am as it used to!

MrJan
29th January 2008, 21:47
Surely if you have Eurosport and are in Colchester you have Dave?

AndyRAC
30th January 2008, 09:15
Did someone call?

One thing I will/can say - someone has queried why rallying doesn't get the radio coverage it once had. There's a very good reason and it has nothing to do with the state the WRC is in or whether there's a British driver in the series.

Well that's got me puzzled...surely it's not rights is it? Personally I did think it was the 'no British driver'. Anybody any ideas??

Simmi
3rd February 2008, 18:17
Nice to see Dave completely re-hashing huge amounts of footage from two weeks ago.

I thought they might have trouble having enough footage for a show every week but after two episodes! A bit shonky.

Larry_Japan
3rd February 2008, 19:32
Nice to see Dave completely re-hashing huge amounts of footage from two weeks ago.

I thought they might have trouble having enough footage for a show every week but after two episodes! A bit shonky.

I sort-of agree, except there's been no jWRC or pWRC, and only 1 event to report on so far, so there's an inevitable lack of new material available. I still thought it was a good show...

J4MIE
3rd February 2008, 22:50
Well I will watch Sweden cos I'll be there, but after that I will try to catch the eurosport coverage, rather than "Matty Wilson does World Rally" :rolleyes:

Mark
4th February 2008, 13:36
Was last nights just a repeat of the pre-Monte show? I turned it off as they were just showing the same feature with the Ford Focus?

turves
4th February 2008, 13:45
Was last nights just a repeat of the pre-Monte show? I turned it off as they were just showing the same feature with the Ford Focus?

I think the last 20 minutes were a review of the Monte, I flicked over to it as they were showing Atko v Duval in Monaca, and then Rautenbach's crash. They then went onto how Suzuki got on but I had to go out

Larry_Japan
4th February 2008, 13:48

almost... a shameless re-hash of the pre-monte show, with a few added bits about Matthew Bloody Wilson... but then the second half was good - Sweden preview, WRC news, a mini-thing about PG Anderson, other bits & pieces.

sal
4th February 2008, 16:49
Looks like a problem with having to fill an hour slot when Eurosports preview/mag programme is only 30 mins( you could see yesterday where the joins where between the "borrowed" Eurosport bits ended and the Dave/Stobart bits started pretty clearly. I'm hoping that when the PWRC/JWRC gets going there will be at least an half hour review per round as Motors tv have been showing the footage. An idea for Dave if they want to give Neil Cole/Matt Wilson a rest why not show reviews of the series from previous years?

RS
4th February 2008, 19:25
Does anybody in the UK actually support Matthew Wilson "just because he's British"?

RicKT
4th February 2008, 22:05
Does anybody in the UK actually support Matthew Wilson "just because he's British"?

Thats a tricky questin really....taking Matthew Wilson out of the picture, To be honest i always do like to see the progress of the British/Irish drivers in a WRC car, I enjoyed watching Chris Meek when he was running the super 1600's in the British Championship a few years ago, and when he had the chance to run a private entry in GB Wales (if i remember correctly) with Colin for Skoda.

Also... Enjoyed watching Jonny Milner up @ Trackrod a few years back now...

I think it is always good to follow the your native country in any sporting event... sometimes makes it more intresting... and can be very disapointing if British most of the times!! LOL :eek:

Rick

Waldrons11
5th February 2008, 12:12
Its a shame that the first time there is good P/JWRC coverage guaranteed in the UK we have no British drivers competing at the moment.

In the past we've had Meeke and Wilks fighting for wins and championships in the Juniors and Rowe, A. McRae, McShea and Higgins in Production.

RS
5th February 2008, 17:23
I started watching this week's programme on Dave but when it was a repeat of the Pre-Monte Wilson stuff I switched over. If they're gonna repeat content, they might want to do it later in the show...

Any ideas how many viewers for this 3rd show?

Daniel
5th February 2008, 17:33
I started watching this week's programme on Dave but when it was a repeat of the Pre-Monte Wilson stuff I switched over. If they're gonna repeat content, they might want to do it later in the show...

Any ideas how many viewers for this 3rd show?
Same here. Then I turned back near the end to see the Sweden preview. They should have done it the other way round like you said.

flattothematwrc
6th February 2008, 13:48
The new rally preview on Dave is top notch.seen it twice and it was really in-depth.

gravelman
6th February 2008, 14:54
Ithink we should call them British and irish to be fair, because when the likes of meeke and McShea won, they were called Brits, but when something went wrong they were distanced as being Ulstermen or Irish

Larry_Japan
8th February 2008, 22:50
Hilarious "he's French"!!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DvELKezP8

Daniel
8th February 2008, 23:01
Hilarious "he's French"!!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DvELKezP8
As someone said before it's only funny if you're about 2 years old.

RS
16th February 2008, 19:45
Anyone know the viewing figures for Sweden?

Viktory
16th February 2008, 20:26
I thought the show from Sweden was better.

SubaruNorway
16th February 2008, 22:15
I thought the show from Sweden was better.

I thought so to, it's geting there now.

tintin
17th February 2008, 01:26
340,000 for the first showing and 25,000 for the repeat, so an increase of 25% over Monte.

Daniel
17th February 2008, 11:18
340,000 for the first showing and 25,000 for the repeat, so an increase of 25% over Monte.
can I ask where you get these stats from?

tintin
17th February 2008, 11:58
can I ask where you get these stats from?

BARB - who compile the official ratings for all TV channels in the UK.

52Paddy
17th February 2008, 13:22
Will any Irish TV station be broadcasting WRC this year?

Simmi
17th February 2008, 17:57
Hmmmmm its World Rally: Crashes tonight. On in five minutes lets see if its just a repeat.

RS
18th February 2008, 10:31

That is quite promising, although still relatively miniscule. Be interesting to see where to goes from here onwards.

sal
25th February 2008, 11:40
Great to see the PWRC from Sweden getting a good 25+ minute review last night on Dave. Missed out last year when Motors TV showed the PWRC and JWRC last year so this is great news. That 207 S2000 was great to see and the noise differential between that and the N14 cars was more than noticeable.

Viktory
25th February 2008, 14:19
Yes I was very happy that they spent a lot of time reviewing the PWRC. Hopefully they will continue this way!

SubaruNorway
25th February 2008, 21:12
Could someone please make Nasser stop saying "you Know" after every sentence, used to be funny, now it's just annoying :D

Larry_Japan
29th February 2008, 19:08
Yeah, it's, like, kinda annoying, you know?

sal
24th March 2008, 22:16
Nice to see a full JWRC report from Mexico last night on Dave. Also the bit with Mikko in the MK2 Escort at Bill Gwynnes's was good value too.

grugsticles
25th March 2008, 06:45
Can somone point me in the direction of a downloadble version (avi or torrent) for the series?
Thanks

MrJan
22nd December 2008, 20:29
Be-ump :D

Just watched the season review and I have to say that I think they did an alright job with a bad lot. The whole virtual spectator thing annoys me but we need that for the simpletons, also find the 'as live' commentary a right pain in the arse. On the plus side though is that they have been rolling out WRC programmes every week and I've actually found a lot of them interesting. Take last week which had a feature on Matt Wilson and then a review of the PWRC at GB :up:

BDunnell
22nd December 2008, 21:10
...also find the 'as live' commentary a right pain in the arse.

Couldn't agree more. It's actually quite ridiculous when you think about it.

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 21:21
Couldn't agree more. It's actually quite ridiculous when you think about it.

THe worst thing is he's not even Murray Walker style enthusiastic about it...... :mark:

BDunnell
22nd December 2008, 21:34
THe worst thing is he's not even Murray Walker style enthusiastic about it...... :mark:

By the way, ever watched Murray doing rally narration? If not:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XlIcuP8EN44
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rNPI4xYEGX0

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 21:47
By the way, ever watched Murray doing rally narration? If not:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XlIcuP8EN44
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rNPI4xYEGX0

Well there is a great RAC rally clip with Murray commentating but I just can't find it :(

But there is this. Imagine how boring this ad would be with Paul King! "Now lets see Damon eat that slice of pizza on virtual spectator" :dozey:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXLZPn11HM

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 21:51
At 4 minutes Pentti passes Per Eklund :) Although the coverage is pretty crap (only one corner per stage by the look of it) he just injects some enthusiasm and credibility to it :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rQKuqNYe7oQ

BDunnell
22nd December 2008, 21:51
Well there is a great RAC rally clip with Murray commentating but I just can't find it :(

He followed the '85 event for Grandstand — this the one you mean?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y1vp4hoZ9HQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZv7khq4mM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xahprrKaZHg

AndyRAC
22nd December 2008, 22:06
He followed the '85 event for Grandstand — this the one you mean?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y1vp4hoZ9HQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZv7khq4mM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xahprrKaZHg

It's actually quite good coverage - and Murray does a good job, and comes across as very enthusiastic. Paul King just annoys the hell out of me, as do the World Rally Radio reporters.

But because WRC is a minority sport - we have to put up with muppets.

Rally_Rocks
23rd December 2008, 07:29
It's actually quite good coverage - and Murray does a good job, and comes across as very enthusiastic. Paul King just annoys the hell out of me, as do the World Rally Radio reporters.

Not quite sure what it is you have against the World Rally Radio guys but it almost seems personal at times.

I for one am thankful that as a minority sport we have such a professional and entertaining service. It keeps me entertained anyway. And you don't have to put up with anything - just don't turn it on muppet

wrc_flipper
23rd December 2008, 14:00
Not quite sure what it is you have against the World Rally Radio guys but it almost seems personal at times.

I for one am thankful that as a minority sport we have such a professional and entertaining service. It keeps me entertained anyway. And you don't have to put up with anything - just don't turn it on muppet

well said!

Daniel
23rd December 2008, 20:06

They're crap. They're truly diabolical. Apart from Greg Strange who I've met the others either aren't that professional or they don't know their stuff. It's the plain truth.

wrc_flipper
23rd December 2008, 20:38
They're crap. They're truly diabolical. Apart from Greg Strange who I've met the others either aren't that professional or they don't know their stuff. It's the plain truth.

Everyones entitled to their opinion!
Probably why they get to fly around the world with the wrc and you write comments on a forum :)

Daniel
23rd December 2008, 21:36
Everyones entitled to their opinion!
Probably why they get to fly around the world with the wrc and you write comments on a forum :)

So you think they're great. Why are you sitting on a forum writing comments then? :confused: I guess because someone is in a position of power or whatever it automatically means they know more than you? George Bush for example..... yeah he ****ing knows how to be in charge of the ex-worlds most powerful country!!!!!!! Your argument is ridiculous! What are you going to do next? Accuse me of jealousy?

MrJan
23rd December 2008, 21:57
George Bush for example.....

You're just jealous :p : :D

wrc_flipper
23rd December 2008, 22:04
You're just jealous :p : :D

.... better not! ;)

Simmi
24th December 2008, 13:50

I could watch coverage like this and these old videos all day. It's very bittersweet when you look at how the WRC has declined, especially the RAC IMO. I wish I had been alive to see this for myself.

I have to agree about rally radio. I'd probably stop short of calling them muppets but clearly the right people are not in the job for such a niche radio station. A bit of radio experience probably gets you a lot further than an encyclopedic knowledge of rallying. Unfortunately sometimes it seems like the presenters have neither.

-It was nice to hear both Mark James and John Desbrough on Wales Rally Radio a few weeks ago. Those guys know what they are talking about at least.

RS
24th December 2008, 14:58
Can just imagine the TV commentary next year, trying to get excited about:

"And Rautenbach has moved up to 3rd, just 27 minutes behind Loeb after the Frenchman's puncture on SS8"........

Daniel
24th December 2008, 15:08

"And Rautenbach has moved up to 3rd, just 27 minutes behind Loeb after the Frenchman stopped for a baguette and some pastries from a patisserie alonside the route as well as taking in the latest James Bond movie at a cinema"........

Fixed it for you :)

RS
24th December 2008, 15:11
Fixed it for you :)

:D

Helstar
24th December 2008, 16:07

"And Rautenbach has moved up to 3rd, just 27 minutes behind Loeb after the Frenchman's puncture on SS8"........
lol

and don't forget to add "with a stunning performance from Wilson too, second at just 26 min with lots of top 10 times in every stage"

Daniel
24th December 2008, 16:08
lol

and don't forget to add "with a stunning performance from Wilson too, second at just 26 min with lots of top 10 times in every stage"

I'd watch out. You'll have Ste632 on your back soon for making fun of Matty Wilson :uhoh:

AndyRAC
24th December 2008, 18:47
I could watch coverage like this and these old videos all day. It's very bittersweet when you look at how the WRC has declined, especially the RAC IMO. I wish I had been alive to see this for myself.

I have to agree about rally radio. I'd probably stop short of calling them muppets but clearly the right people are not in the job for such a niche radio station. A bit of radio experience probably gets you a lot further than an encyclopedic knowledge of rallying. Unfortunately sometimes it seems like the presenters have neither.

-It was nice to hear both Mark James and John Desbrough on Wales Rally Radio a few weeks ago. Those guys know what they are talking about at least.

It was, they knew what they were talking about, plus there was ex co-driver Mike Broad who has forgotten more than most of us will ever know. Wales Rally Radio is the type of coverage that WRC Radio should be doing - but using proper Rally journalists - get somebody like Jerry Williams for example. The people they have I'd never heard of before. Maybe muppets was a bit harsh, but they are occasionally inane......

Seeing as it's the season of Goodwill, Merry Christmas to all.