PDA

View Full Version : Will the former Jordan Team ever have permanent owner?

FIA
20th December 2007, 15:32
Will the former Jordan Team ever have permanent Owner/Name?

2005: Jordan
2006: Midland
2007: Spyker
2008: Force India

Robinho
20th December 2007, 16:32
how permanant is permanant?

Ferrari have been owned by Ferrari and FIAT, albeit always had the same name.

McLaren were started by Bruce McLaren, now owned by Ron/Mercedes

Sauber, now BMW.

BAR, Now Honda.

Stewart, to Jag, To Red Bull.

Minardi to Torro Rosso

essentialy the Jordan name may have changed several times, but a large part of the organisation is the same.

as long as there is someone to fund the team, i don't care what they are called - of course over time a team builds an identity, wins fans and becomes more maketable, so by sticking around they give themselves a better chance, and i hope for their sake that they are able to do this

nigelred5
20th December 2007, 19:42
You forgot
Toleman-Benneton-Renault

wasn't BAR formed from the Tyrrel team?

Until there is some serious control on the astronomical annual team budgets, u doubt anyone will stick with the team very long in absence of significant direct major manufacturer support. And with the health of even some of the very major players in the automotive arena being questionable, Im not sure. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Force India end up with some affiliation with One of the Indian companies. Heck, we could actually see the return of Jaguar if one of the Indian goups ends up buying the marque from Ford.

jso1985
21st December 2007, 04:32
wasn't BAR formed from the Tyrrel team?

I think they only bought their "slot" in the championship, but the whole BAR team was a new organization.

Teams owned by rich bussinessmen won't last much IMO, as shown with Midland their commitment to the sport was selling the team for more money than what they paid

Valve Bounce
21st December 2007, 07:42

Each Team Owner buys the opportunity to tell all their clients and friends that they are in F1, can invite clients to their entertainment centres at Grand Prix and meet F1 drivers. Then they onsell the team to some other schmuck for a profit.

Maybe Dave Richards might decide to buy the damn thing next year, who knows. Then maybe not!!

GingerLynn
24th December 2007, 21:14

Losing a guy like EJ was just more proof that F1 should just be killed.

ShiftingGears
25th December 2007, 02:07

Until there is manufacturer support or a major company in control of them (eg Red Bull) then I don't think so.

Valve Bounce
25th December 2007, 04:00
Maybe Max and Bernie will dip into their collective pockets and pull out a few quid!! Who knows?? Anything can happen. :(

Azumanga Davo
25th December 2007, 07:24
As long as it's not Andrea Sasetti, I'm not worried about it. ;)

Jag_Warrior
26th December 2007, 15:49

:rolleyes:

cy bais
26th December 2007, 15:57
This (Jordan's constant owner changes) reads like a bad restaurant that's always changing their owners and menus. :)

GingerLynn
26th December 2007, 17:39
:rolleyes:

:vader:

Adds just about as much to the coversation as you.

JasonD
26th December 2007, 18:08

And yet here you are, obviously interested enough to watch on TV and post here. :rolleyes:

Jag_Warrior
26th December 2007, 19:27
:vader:

Adds just about as much to the coversation as you.

I liked Eddie Jordan just fine. He was a good character for the sport to have around: bright yellow cars and busty, bouncy girls... doesn't get much better than that. But I'm not moronic enough to think that "F1 should be killed" because he lost the skill to put a program together. He was a fun guy... but Colin Chapman, he was not.

So bring it... whacha got? :dozey:

P.S. Jailhouse Girls was a masterpiece. You should have won an award of some type for that one. :D

SGWilko
26th December 2007, 20:13

Funny. He just got very rich and eventually run his team into the ground. He started off OK, but he saw he could make his money, and did so, to the ultimate detriment of his team.

That is plain sad. IMHO.

Malbec
26th December 2007, 20:19

I guess you didn't hear about the scandal involving EJ and the $20 million of compensation money from Honda that went walkies then....

I'm quite glad that the likes of TW and EJ have disappeared from F1, the sport got a lot cleaner without them.

SGWilko
26th December 2007, 20:23
I guess you didn't hear about the scandal involving EJ and the $20 million of compensation money from Honda that went walkies then....

I'm quite glad that the likes of TW and EJ have disappeared from F1, the sport got a lot cleaner without them.

Oh, didn't know about that, got any info?

Valve Bounce
26th December 2007, 21:37
He was also inclined to sack drivers via fax rather than face them. F1 needs someone like EJ like anyone would need an extra hole about 3 feet below the neck.

Malbec
26th December 2007, 21:41
Yep, Honda paid Jordan about $20 million in compensation for cutting short their engine deal in 2003.... except that the money never reached the team. It was funneled into an account held by an Irish company owned by EJ and his wife.

EJ then attacked the major manufacturers for not doing more to help the small teams get affordable engines including Honda. How he did this with a straight face I'll never know. Anyway a few months later some Irish bankers audited the team with a view to buying into it themselves, found the ruse, told EJ to sort it out and exited stage left pretty promptly. I believe in the end the money was returned to the team.

The Ford deal cost less than what Honda had paid in compensation so in theory EJ made a profit anyway, merely a smaller one than originally envisioned.

When they say "we don't have people like him in the sport any more" I find it difficult to shed too many tears.

RyanBriscoe#6
26th December 2007, 23:07
Actually in 2005 and 2006, the squad had the same owner through most fo the 2006 season, when Spyker bought the team.

Valve Bounce
26th December 2007, 23:39
Actually in 2005 and 2006, the squad had the same owner through most fo the 2006 season, when Spyker bought the team.

Good point. Actually, I'm very interested how much each owner made before fobbing the team off onto the next schmuck.

Malbec
27th December 2007, 11:38
Good point. Actually, I'm very interested how much each owner made before fobbing the team off onto the next schmuck.

I thought Midland and Spyker didn't make any money on the team especially with all the debts it had.

Valve Bounce
27th December 2007, 19:32
I thought Midland and Spyker didn't make any money on the team especially with all the debts it had.

Maybe it was an Income Tax dodge :(

Malbec
27th December 2007, 19:40
Maybe it was an Income Tax dodge :(

Could have been, or maybe they didn't understand the sport well enough before buying, certainly with Midland.

Valve Bounce
27th December 2007, 23:11
Could have been, or maybe they didn't understand the sport well enough before buying, certainly with Midland.

Yeah!! but what a year!! with guests mixing with Ferrari and McLaren and Williams and Flav and so on in the corporate areas. At least that's what they believe.

SGWilko
28th December 2007, 17:32
Yep, Honda paid Jordan about $20 million in compensation for cutting short their engine deal in 2003.... except that the money never reached the team. It was funneled into an account held by an Irish company owned by EJ and his wife.

EJ then attacked the major manufacturers for not doing more to help the small teams get affordable engines including Honda. How he did this with a straight face I'll never know. Anyway a few months later some Irish bankers audited the team with a view to buying into it themselves, found the ruse, told EJ to sort it out and exited stage left pretty promptly. I believe in the end the money was returned to the team.

The Ford deal cost less than what Honda had paid in compensation so in theory EJ made a profit anyway, merely a smaller one than originally envisioned.

When they say "we don't have people like him in the sport any more" I find it difficult to shed too many tears.

What a cheeky fecker he was, to be sure, to be sure. Be gorra!!! ;)

RyanBriscoe#6
28th December 2007, 19:49
Jordan GP should have sold to Arden as it was first rumored to happen. Midland's owner Alex Shnaider had the money and wanted to go racing.Instead of starting a team like he intended to, he bypassed the entry fee of a new team, by buying Jordan, when Eddie wanted to get out. A billionaire, and got the team at about 50 million dollars, which is cheap considering teams such as Toyota spend 500 million per season. He sold the team to Spyker with a few races to go in 2006 for 197 million dollars, so he did make out in the deal. No Alex is the majority stock holder in the Israeli football club, Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Malbec
28th December 2007, 20:30
Jordan GP should have sold to Arden as it was first rumored to happen. Midland's owner Alex Shnaider had the money and wanted to go racing.Instead of starting a team like he intended to, he bypassed the entry fee of a new team, by buying Jordan, when Eddie wanted to get out. A billionaire, and got the team at about 50 million dollars, which is cheap considering teams such as Toyota spend 500 million per season. He sold the team to Spyker with a few races to go in 2006 for 197 million dollars, so he did make out in the deal. No Alex is the majority stock holder in the Israeli football club, Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Alternatively in 2001 EJ could have agreed to sell the team to Honda which was evaluating BAR and Jordan to see which one it would pair up with as a future partner/manufacturer team. Apparently he insisted on retaining a role at the team which was something Honda didn't really want as they didn't like the way he did business particularly with sponsors. Obviously Honda ended up with BAR but one wonders how it could have gone.

RyanBriscoe#6
28th December 2007, 20:34
Alternatively in 2001 EJ could have agreed to sell the team to Honda which was evaluating BAR and Jordan to see which one it would pair up with as a future partner/manufacturer team. Apparently he insisted on retaining a role at the team which was something Honda didn't really want as they didn't like the way he did business particularly with sponsors. Obviously Honda ended up with BAR but one wonders how it could have gone.

Honda would have gotten a better team. Especially in 2001, was when the team started to tail off, but still much better than BAR.

Malbec
28th December 2007, 21:26
Honda would have gotten a better team. Especially in 2001, was when the team started to tail off, but still much better than BAR.

Well, their start point would have been higher for certain.

However I think there were quite a few disagreements, effectively Jordan wanted the kind of relationship that McLaren used to have with Honda, ie engines and cash. Honda wanted to take over many aspects of the design as BAR wanted/begged them to.

SGWilko
29th December 2007, 14:06
Well, their start point would have been higher for certain.

However I think there were quite a few disagreements, effectively Jordan wanted the kind of relationship that McLaren used to have with Honda, ie engines and cash. Honda wanted to take over many aspects of the design as BAR wanted/begged them to.

I seem to remember EJ screwed Midland over when the team was first sold. Nice guy eh?

Malbec
29th December 2007, 21:34
I seem to remember EJ screwed Midland over when the team was first sold. Nice guy eh?

He screwed quite a few sponsors over too, practically blackmailed them as became clear after the Vodaphone verdict. A nasty case of F1 fantasyland meets Real World. Oddly enough F1 fantasyland came off second best.....

Having said that TW gave him a good going over. I'm sure you know they hated each other with a vengeance. TW kept talking up Eghbal Hamidy who he credited for his tidy designs. Unbeknownst to all the real power behind Arrows was Mike Coughlan. EJ spent millions buying out Hamidy's contract only to have him design the dog that was the EJ12 and sack him at the first opportunity/great expense.

Rover V8
30th December 2007, 11:03

Cleaner? that's not a word I'd use to describe F1 after the season we've just had....

Rover V8
30th December 2007, 11:11
Jordan GP should have sold to Arden as it was first rumored to happen. Midland's owner Alex Shnaider had the money and wanted to go racing.Instead of starting a team like he intended to, he bypassed the entry fee of a new team, by buying Jordan, when Eddie wanted to get out. A billionaire, and got the team at about 50 million dollars, which is cheap considering teams such as Toyota spend 500 million per season. He sold the team to Spyker with a few races to go in 2006 for 197 million dollars, so he did make out in the deal. Now Alex is the majority stock holder in the Israeli football club, Maccabi Tel Aviv.

...and there's the big problem F1 is facing- far too many of the teams now aren't in the hands of people who became team owners because they wanted to go racing, like Frank Williams, Ron Dennis, or EJ before he got greedy. Instead they're now owned either by businessmen who've bought in hoping to make a short-term profit before selling on, or car manufacturers and other companies who plan to use it as part of their marketing strategy- either way, any of them could be gone like a shot as soon as they get a better deal or marketing opportunity

In the long-term, that's not a healthy basis for the sport to operate on....