PDA

View Full Version : Is it any wonder Post Offices are closing?

Mark
19th December 2007, 08:45
I'm wanting to post a package this afternoon, but I have to go all the way into town because all my local Post Office's are shut because it's a Wednesday afternoon :rolleyes:

They close for lunch from 1-2pm too :s .

Stuck in the past :mad:

AndyRAC
19th December 2007, 09:36
I'm wanting to post a package this afternoon, but I have to go all the way into town because all my local Post Office's are shut because it's a Wednesday afternoon :rolleyes:

They close for lunch from 1-2pm too :s .

Stuck in the past :mad:

Funnily enough I thought that earlier this year, and wondered what year it was, agh, 2007, though nobody told the Post Office.

Camelopard
19th December 2007, 09:47
Are there still mail deliveries on saturday mornings in the UK?

Mark
19th December 2007, 09:54
Yes, but Royal Mail is quite seperate from the Post Office.

Camelopard
19th December 2007, 10:00
Yes, but Royal Mail is quite seperate from the Post Office.

OK, I didn't realise that.

Valve Bounce
19th December 2007, 10:00
The post offices in Melbourne seem to be operating OK. They have put on extra staff to cater to the Christmas extra customers. Maybe you should consider migrating to Melbourne.

I would recommend Port Melbourne or Albert Park - very close to the GP circuit. Can ride there in 9 minutes by bicycle. :)

leopard
19th December 2007, 10:09
I am used to send some stuff by mean of public transport like bus in case coverage of post service are difficult. Ask the consignee to pick the package at the closest terminal.

I am not sure that this thing commonly happens there.

Dave B
19th December 2007, 10:23
I've got four POs within five minutes' drive of me, so the fact that one is closing doesn't personally affect me.

To be honest, apart from physically posting parcels or signed-for services, there's nothing you can't do quicker and easier online or via cashpoints.

Dave B
19th December 2007, 10:24
I am used to send some stuff by mean of public transport like bus in case coverage of post service are difficult. Ask the consignee to pick the package at the closest terminal.

Try that in the terrorist-paranoid UK and your parcel would be the focal point of a controlled explosion :s

BDunnell
19th December 2007, 10:29

You can in fact send parcels on passenger train services in Germany.

leopard
19th December 2007, 10:33
You can in fact send parcels on passenger train services in Germany.
true, usually they don't have any day off

leopard
19th December 2007, 10:35
Try that in the terrorist-paranoid UK and your parcel would be the focal point of a controlled explosion :s
Please handle it with care :\

J4MIE
19th December 2007, 13:47
I have 4 post offices within 5 miles of here, don't think that any of them are closing but if any were, the queues at the other ones would just get bigger no doubt.

On the subject of closing times, I went to a local glazier yesterday for a new pane of glass for my kitchen window which I broke (about 14 years ago with a football :p : ) but it was closed for the day :(

Mp3 Astra
19th December 2007, 15:24
I tell you what else could keep the Post Office open... not spending hundreds of thousands of pounds creating a horribly embarrassing advertising campaign containing equally useless celebrities and bad actors.

Dave B
19th December 2007, 15:35
If you asked the old dear in my local post office about broadband she'd probably wonder what you were talking about. Anyway, I won't go in there now for fear of meeting Westlife :s

schmenke
19th December 2007, 17:17

We do that sometimes here. Sending a package by coach bus is generally cheaper than regular post :mark:

leopard
21st December 2007, 06:23
true, but if they have their baggage full with the passengers' luggage we may should be ready our package come late. :)

leopard
21st December 2007, 06:24
If you asked the old dear in my local post office about broadband she'd probably wonder what you were talking about. Anyway, I won't go in there now for fear of meeting Westlife :s
Why, do sometimes they bite? :\

tintin
21st December 2007, 18:39
I am a regular visitor to the post office, though not my local post office (which is three doors away, and open six days a week, even through lunch).

The reason is that on a regular basis I get cards through my door telling me to go to collect mail which hasn't enough stamps. But they don't take it back to my local post office. They take it two miles away.

Still, I've not seen Westlife in either of them.

veeten
21st December 2007, 20:21
Fed Ex. http://www.fedex.com/gb/

:)