PDA

View Full Version : UK Music Charts change

ArrowsFA1
8th January 2007, 09:14
...rules were changed to allow any song purchased online to be counted towards the singles chart...Previously, downloads only counted towards the chart if a CD of the song was available to be purchased.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6239415.stm

"Under the new rules, anything and everything is eligible," said HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo.
"The charts will now offer a much broader representation of the nation's music tastes," he added.
It is rumoured EMI is considering releasing The Beatles' back catalogue as downloads for the first time. Castaldo thinks if that happens then a "top 10 made up entirely of their music would be almost guaranteed".

The charts might become interesting again :p :s mokin:

Azumanga Davo
8th January 2007, 13:39
God let's hope so...

Mark
8th January 2007, 13:43
About time. They've been scared of having accurate charts for so long!

But anyway, now that Top of the Pops is gone, nobody cares about the charts.

Sleeper
8th January 2007, 13:48
In all honesty, this means very little for me,I havnt taken any notice of the charts for sometime and this isnt going to change anything.

ArrowsFA1
8th January 2007, 14:01
I haven't paid much attention to the charts for years but it'll be interesting to see what will make it into the top 40 now these changes have been made.

Dave B
8th January 2007, 16:37
Relavant or not, quite simply the charts should be an accurate historical record of the most widely purchased songs of the week. This change to the rules simply reflects shifting technology, and personally I'm glad that the charts company is open to such ideas and capable of moving with the times.

I'm fairly sure that Gnarls Barclay is happy too...

Hazell B
8th January 2007, 19:29
Won't stop the dross being number one more often than not, as proved in it's first week, but overall it's far more reliable than just disc sales.

One thing I've often wondered about is how music is put forward for the normal singles chart? I mean, some classical records and good old Cliff Richard, etc, have outsold charting records many times yet not figured in the chart. Why?

Bezza
8th January 2007, 19:39
Good move and about time :up: I don't know many who buy singles in the shops thesedays. Albums, yes, but singles, no.

Now all that needs sorting is this intensely irritating manufactured Christmas Number One. Whoever wins X-Factor gets Chrimbo No. 1, regardless of talent or song.

Dave B
8th January 2007, 19:42
Won't stop the dross being number one more often than not, as proved in it's first week, but overall it's far more reliable than just disc sales.

One thing I've often wondered about is how music is put forward for the normal singles chart? I mean, some classical records and good old Cliff Richard, etc, have outsold charting records many times yet not figured in the chart. Why?There were rules on the length and running time for singles, otherwise they'd have counted towards the album chart. Being available on more than the permitted amount of formats disqualified a few songs too. Also record companies tend to "delete" titles after a few weeks, making them unavailable for retailers to buy wholesale.

With the new changes it no longer matters if a track is physically available. If you can buy it, whether as a plastic disc or an MP3 file, it will still count.

It's true that dross will often win out, but if that's genuinely what people are buying then so be it. The charts are a statistical record of fact, not taste.

Mark
9th January 2007, 08:27
It may well be that X-Factor doesn't have an automatic lock out on the Christmas number 1 next year.

If someone makes a decent novelty record and it gains popularity on the internet, it's just possible :s

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 18:30
Sounds like Mark's offering to sing something to me :p :

Ian McC
9th January 2007, 19:30
Sounds like Mark's offering to sing something to me :p :

Mind out he doesn't appear under your bedroom window one night :eek: