PDA

View Full Version : Kova the new McLaren #2

keysersoze
14th December 2007, 15:36
Uh, I mean, co-#1. I can't do the linky thing, but it's on auto-sport. I think Lewis will get a decent test from the Finn, but the Swiss, I mean Brit, will prove quicker.

One seat left at Force India. C'mon Giancarlo!

Giuseppe F1
14th December 2007, 15:39
Beat me to it,keysersoze! :)

Heres the link guys:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64384

janneppi
14th December 2007, 15:56
Good job, I just hope all this recent business doesn't affect his season too badly.

ArrowsFA1
14th December 2007, 16:14
Great news :up: Hamilton and Kovalainen will make a great partnership :up:

Tomi
14th December 2007, 16:16
Yes good, now hopefully McLaren continiue with the same driver policy and dont put the leach on anyone of the drivers.

FIA
14th December 2007, 16:34
Yes I can't wait til next season, there is also two seats left a Super Aguri.

MaximumAttack
14th December 2007, 16:38
That's f*cking great news!! :D I was secretly hoping this, but never really believed it could happen. Two of my favourite drivers (Kimi & Heikki) in a top team next year...I couldn't ask for more :)

ioan
14th December 2007, 16:48
He's going to the theoretically best prepared team.
It's a pity he will have to contend with "equal" treatment there!

ChrisS
14th December 2007, 17:04
McLaren with a Brit and a Finn as their drivers once again.

Best luck to him

Woodeye
14th December 2007, 17:10
Maybe I'll have to start following F1 again next season... :D

Great to see both Finns in top teams! :up:

Mauri A
14th December 2007, 17:13
McLaren with a Brit and a Finn as their drivers once again.

Best luck to him
And what happened earlier??

rabf1
14th December 2007, 17:31
It would be really funny if Kovalainen is faster than Hamilton.

ClarkFan
14th December 2007, 17:48
Good job, I just hope all this recent business doesn't affect his season too badly.

He certainly deserved a drive, but may have landed in an untenable situation. His teammate is the designated Golden Boy for Mac, and the FIA may yet clean house on McLaren employees who knowingly passed/used Ferrari information. They may end up with a technical staff of about 20, using a 2006 McLaren chassis and used tires from a local scrap yard.

Good luck to Heikki - he will probably need plenty.

ClarkFan

Eki
14th December 2007, 18:38
It would be really funny if Kovalainen is faster than Hamilton.
Yes, wouldn't make Alonso look good. First a two time WDC from Renault lost to a rookie at McLaren and then a rookie from Renault would beat Hamilton the next year.

Kevincal
14th December 2007, 19:38
Oh, I think it's safe to say that Hamilton will run circles around Kovalainen...

SteveA
14th December 2007, 19:41
Oh, I think it's safe to say that Hamilton will run circles around Kovalainen...

That's one way to pass the time if you haven't got a team to drive for ;)

DazzlaF1
14th December 2007, 19:43
I dont think it matters to him whether his teammate is the bosses pet or not, i just think he's happy to have landed one of the top race seats available.

Would be great to see Heikki win the odd race or 2 next season (which he should do)

Mauri A
14th December 2007, 19:54
I´ll remember this, nice to read your comments, let´s say in September.

yodasarmpit
14th December 2007, 19:56
This should be interesting, Lewis will have a good fight on his hands.
McLaren are looking good for next season with these two drivers.

Big Ben
14th December 2007, 20:06
He's gone get equal treatment as long as he's slow enough. I wonder if he's one of those optimist guys or he's aware of what lies ahead of him.

It's going to be interesting to see how he's going to deal with his status in the team. I hope he'll cause some trouble.

Kevincal
14th December 2007, 21:30
I´ll remember this, nice to read your comments, let´s say in September.

I'm not insulting Kova. It's just that I think since Hamilton knows the ropes at McLaren and knows the car already, he'll have a distinct advantage over Kova. I like Kova, he's a nice guy and a great driver. But everyone saw how good Hamilton was last year. Kova struggled at quite a few races last year...

truefan72
14th December 2007, 21:45
Good for Kavaleinen,and he will get equal treatment at McClaren.
It was not LH who had trouble with a fast/faster teammate.
I don't think LH will demand that HK drive behind him, or cede to his demands or refuse to share data,or pout and complain and criticise the team if HK beats him in a race.

They will race each other and support each other through out the year. If the two drivers end up in the same situation points wise as they did last year,you would see a much closer comeraderie between the two drivers and a "competitors on the track, friends off the track mentality"

This isn't a difficult task, it is onlypercieved difficult when you have huge egos and unwarranted demands come into play.

Juppe
14th December 2007, 21:50
I'm not insulting Kova. It's just that I think since Hamilton knows the ropes at McLaren and knows the car already, he'll have a distinct advantage over Kova. I like Kova, he's a nice guy and a great driver. But everyone saw how good Hamilton was last year. Kova struggled at quite a few races last year...

One needs to remember that the reason for struggling was mostly the same as with Fernando or Kimi for example.

Heikki tested Michelin tires significantly more than any other driver in 2006 and therefore was accustumed to them completely. In hindsight, that was a bad thing.

And just to add something to ponder I throw in a comment by Kimi's manager:

"(Lewis) Hamilton was supposed to drive in the last few races with Kimi at McLaren at the end of the previous season (in 2006). He was so bad with Michelins that they decided to go with Pedro instead."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64380

truefan72
14th December 2007, 22:21
And just to add something to ponder I throw in a comment by Kimi's manager:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64380

and you beleive that right?
nothing to do with him in GP2 competing for a WDC

I'm pretty ssure that LH was good on either tyre and the decision to go with PDLR was practical and common sense.

jas123f1
14th December 2007, 22:24
He's going to the theoretically best prepared team.
It's a pity he will have to contend with "equal" treatment there!

Alonso was a double a champion when he went to McLaren and his own opinion was that team success was so much depending of him that he should get the first driver position in the team, and on some way he may deserved it – however he was forced to show it on the track and it was more difficult than he newer was thinking, which made him a bit disappointed – I think. We can see if McLaren has the policy next year or if Heikki will be given a "second" driver seat. Personally I don’t believe it will happen.
So if Lewis is the better driver in the beginning of the season I don’t think we can take that as a proof for anything - I even think Heikki will have some difficulties in the beginning of the season because it’s a new team for him, new environment and new people to work with (and everything is new) - but I think that after a half way of the season hi will be on the same level as Lewis. Both guys have a good experience of driving without traction control from GP2, so it will interesting season.

And it’s nice that the spy scandal is over - Ron Dennis was forced at last to do what he should do from beginning – tell the truth and take his responsibility as the team manager.
However he has done it now and I’m also noticed that Ferrari has accepted McLaren’s apologize to them, which means that we can leave the spy and other scandals behind us now and concentrate to the sport.

I think Ferrari will take both titles next season too anyway WDC- title, Kimi or Massa doesn’t matter (even if my tip is Kimi). :)

Juppe
15th December 2007, 00:04
and you beleive that right?
nothing to do with him in GP2 competing for a WDC

I'm pretty ssure that LH was good on either tyre and the decision to go with PDLR was practical and common sense.

You may be sure of that, but here we have a British insider claiming something else - he most likely knew what was going on.

He does not really have an apparent reason to lie and as a manager of many drivers he wouldn't want to unnecessarily anger a team like McLaren.

jso1985
15th December 2007, 00:18
:bounce: another flying finn to McLaren :bounce:

only brings good memories :D

Stuartf12007
15th December 2007, 00:26
sorry but kovi is hugely overrated.

ioan
15th December 2007, 00:34
sorry but kovi is hugely overrated.

Unlike Lewy, I suppose! :rolleyes:

VkmSpouge
15th December 2007, 00:55
Heikki Kovalainen has been well reward for performing so well this year. With any luck and his considerable talent the Finn should take his maiden victory next year and maybe more.

ZzZzZz
15th December 2007, 01:07
He'll be outperformed by Hamilton early in the season (much like Raikinen was by Massa this past season), but I think he'll end up with a few wins.

Should be another exciting season. Expect Renault to be back in form, too...

Valve Bounce
15th December 2007, 02:32
Uh, I mean, co-#1. I can't do the linky thing, but it's on auto-sport.
!

You open the web page you want to link. Right click on the address which says http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64384 then select the copy option, then you go to the post you are writing, right click on the post and select the paste option.

This is particularly useful if you want to send an e-mail to a friend about any topic you read on the internet.

Valve Bounce
15th December 2007, 02:38
Yes I can't wait til next season, there is also two seats left a Super Aguri.

Link PLease!!

Valve Bounce
15th December 2007, 02:41

Blessed are they who run around in circles, for they shall become Big Wheels

gloomyDAY
15th December 2007, 03:26
Great news! I think McLaren are going to be in winning form from Australia and onto the last race. Kova has a lot of speed and I'm not worried about his ability to match/beat Hamilton. This should be an amazing season, if they work with one another, and win the WDC.

truefan72
15th December 2007, 06:40
I think that this partnership is going to be pretty formidable.
As I see it the top team will still be Kimi and Massa
followed by LH and HK, then the BMW boys, then Renault,
my dark horse here is STR, as much as I dislike the owners, the two Seb's will turn some heads next year.

expect spyker to be sutil and klien
Honda to be Button, Sato
Super Aguri to be Davidson and Barrichelo ( or someone else)

DexDexter
15th December 2007, 10:04
Heikki is the 4th Finn at Mclaren and all the previous Finns were well-liked by the team and achieved great things together (ok, Keke not so much),I think that bodes well for Heikki. There will be no Alonso-style outbursts, no complaining, Heikki will just be driving the wheels off the car.

Juppe
15th December 2007, 10:41
Heikki is the 4th Finn at Mclaren and all the previous Finns were well-liked by the team and achieved great things together (ok, Keke not so much),I think that bodes well for Heikki. There will be no Alonso-style outbursts, no complaining, Heikki will just be driving the wheels off the car.

I was thinking all along that Heikki is probably the best match for McLaren of all the Finns that have been driving for them. Especially if Ron is still in charge of the team.

Heikki will not give Ron grey hair with his drinking like Kimi did and he is outspoken and well liked by fans, sponsors and media. He will not engage in politics and I don't see any problems with him and Lewis.

Heikki has got a lot of experience from another top team as a test driver, so he will probably be a good tester for McLaren as well.

We do know that he is better than Fisi, who has been around for quite a while, but there is no telling if he can be as fast as Lewis, Kimi, Fernando or Massa. I bet McLaren is hoping that he turns out almost as quick as Lewis, but not quite. :)

F1boat
15th December 2007, 11:17
I hope that Kovalainen will be a match for Lewis.

markabilly
15th December 2007, 13:47
But the one disadvantage he can not overcome, is that he is just another recycled driver from another team, unlike the one with true mac in his blood......or to paraphrase JPM, he ain't the golden boy baby of Ronnie..... :vader:

rohanweb
15th December 2007, 14:30
:bounce: another flying finn to McLaren :bounce:

only brings good memories :D

thats true..

well.. I dont think Heiki going to be faster than Lewis,
but still they both are very good freinds than we think,
I am sure both will work well together at mclaren...

2007 a year to forget and move on 2008 for mclaren./..

Go Heiki!

p.s: so we will see heiki beats his fellow finn Kimi at some of the race tracks.. good to see that!

Sirius
15th December 2007, 14:55
And just to add something to ponder I throw in a comment by Kimi's manager

Thanks for the link Juppe.

Very interesting comments on Lewis.

Sirius

jas123f1
15th December 2007, 18:17

Hmm...?? in the beginning of the year "perhaps" Lewis is faster..

But - i think yuo don't know how tough guy Kovalainen is, if he has a chance to do it. I don't think there are any driver who can "run circles around" him..

So maybe you shouldn't wait too many "circles" :)

Kevincal
15th December 2007, 21:51
Ok, maybe I did exaggerate a bit on how much better Lewis will be than Kova. But still, we shall see in a few months... ;)

raikk
16th December 2007, 09:17
great move by Mclaren but also the only move really.. he would of been my number 2 selection after Nico.. He may be closer to Hamilton then some people think but Hamilton will still win that teammates battle.. should be interesting really..

slinkster
16th December 2007, 20:49
I was stoked for Heikki when I heard this.. I think the two will make a great team and the inter-team competition from two young-guns might do them both good.

Good luck Heikki and Lewis!

:)

Hawkmoon
17th December 2007, 01:27
Does anybody really think that Kovalainen will get equal treatment at McLaren?

Hamilton whinged to the press in Monaco when he wasn't allowed to race Alonso and disobeyed team orders in qualifying in Hungary. Hamilton's sense of "team" is no better than Alonso's.

Kovalainen will get the same car as Hamilton, all the top teams give their drivers equal cars, but he won't be treated the same way as Hamilton. McLaren have finally learned the lesson that an equal No.1 policy doesn't work unless you have a dominant car. Unless the MP4-23 is the MP4-4 reincarnate then McLaren will be making it hard for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, Kovalainen has made the right choice. Being the No.2 at McLaren is better than being No.1 at all the other teams bar Ferrari and BMW.

truefan72
17th December 2007, 01:59
Does anybody really think that Kovalainen will get equal treatment at McLaren?

Hamilton whinged to the press in Monaco when he wasn't allowed to race Alonso

because he wasn't getting equal treatment... ironic right?

and disobeyed team orders in qualifying in Hungary. which were to let Alonso go ahead, despite the fact that alonso got out of the pits after him and then eased off nearly colliding with Kimi when the opportunity availed itself for him to pass LH. but fair enough, he disobeyed a minor team order, Alonso, actually impeded his own teammate.

Hamilton's sense of "team" is no better than Alonso's.
you mean he went to the press and bitched every day then claimed he was misquoted, or he refused to talk with the team boss, or he tried to bribe mechanics to make his car better than LH's, or he blackmailed his own team costing them $100 million, to make them place him as the #1 driver despite trailing in the points, o he refuesd to share his data with the team, or he tried to run off his own teammate on the track, shall I go on?

Kovalainen will get the same car as Hamilton, all the top teams give their drivers equal cars, but he won't be treated the same way as Hamilton. McLaren have finally learned the lesson that an equal No.1 policy doesn't work unless you have a dominant car. Unless the MP4-23 is the MP4-4 reincarnate then McLaren will be making it hard for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, Kovalainen has made the right choice. Being the No.2 at McLaren is better than being No.1 at all the other teams bar Ferrari and BMW.

There is nothing in McClarens past or LH's character to date that would suggest that McClaren are going to demand HK to be a #2. If they were willing to risk the WDC and WCC to provide equal cars and treamtment to their drivers, as well as continue to provide excellent machinery to an obviously disgruntled and deceitful driver, then what makes you so sure that they are about to change more than 25years of their mantra in 2008.

2 strong drivers is better than 1. HK will get an equal car and told to drive to his abilities.

markabilly
17th December 2007, 04:04

which were to let Alonso go ahead, despite the fact that alonso got out of the pits after him and then eased off nearly colliding with Kimi when the opportunity availed itself for him to pass LH. but fair enough, he disobeyed a minor team order, Alonso, actually impeded his own teammate.

you mean he went to the press and bitched every day then claimed he was misquoted, or he refused to talk with the team boss, or he tried to bribe mechanics to make his car better than LH's, or he blackmailed his own team costing them $100 million, to make them place him as the #1 driver despite trailing in the points, o he refuesd to share his data with the team, or he tried to run off his own teammate on the track, shall I go on?

There is nothing in McClarens past or LH's character to date that would suggest that McClaren are going to demand HK to be a #2. If they were willing to risk the WDC and WCC to provide equal cars and treamtment to their drivers, as well as continue to provide excellent machinery to an obviously disgruntled and deceitful driver, then what makes you so sure that they are about to change more than 25years of their mantra in 2008.

2 strong drivers is better than 1. HK will get an equal car and told to drive to his abilities.

Nonsense and just like the other crud put on by Mc"we aint appealling"laren

but obviously been drinking that Mackool aid, gone plain blind, even to the press release about new team leader Hamster

Bruce deserved far better than to have his name associated with the stuff that rd has done

Hawkmoon
17th December 2007, 05:08

which were to let Alonso go ahead, despite the fact that alonso got out of the pits after him and then eased off nearly colliding with Kimi when the opportunity availed itself for him to pass LH. but fair enough, he disobeyed a minor team order, Alonso, actually impeded his own teammate.

Hamilton's actions this year were far exceeded by Alonso's. I wasn't trying to say that they weren't. I merely pointed out that on at least 2 occasions Hamilton did or said something that showed his dislike of being forced to concede an advantage to Alonso. This, to me at least, shows that Hamilton is not going to be comfortable with "equality". Whatever that means in the McLaren sense.

David Coulthard has a different view on McLaren's idea of equality.

There is a difference between providing two drivers with equal quality of cars and treating both drivers as equals. Coulthard had the same car as Hakkinen but Hakkinen got the benefit of team orders and had Adrian Newey working exclusively on his car.

Kovalainen won't be designated as the No.2. McLaren don't do that, at least not publicly. I'm willing to bet that Hamilton gets his pick of engineers, just as Hakkinen did.

Yes, Kovalainen will get an equal car and yes he will be told to do his best but that doesn't mean he will bean equal with Hamilton.

Having drivers take points of each other never works unless the car is dominant. 1986 is a perfect example. This last season is also a good example. Both Ferrari and McLaren let their drivers take points off each other and as a result Ferrari nearly handed the title to McLaren and McLaren did hand it to Ferrari. If McLaren had designated a No.1 and supported him the they would have the titles right now.

I believe that they've learn't from this and Hamiton will be the No.1 next year in everything but name. I don't have a problem with this, by the way. I think teams should have a No.1 and a No. 2. It has been the norm in F1 for most of it's existence. I don't lnow why people have a problem with it.

janneppi
17th December 2007, 06:21
It has been the norm in F1 for most of it's existence. I don't lnow why people have a problem with it.
Personally, I feel it cheapens the championshipt a bit if you have to rely on your team mates help to win it.

Valve Bounce
17th December 2007, 07:59
Personally, I feel it cheapens the championshipt a bit if you have to rely on your team mates help to win it.

Unfortunately, if you go right back through many, many years of F1, that is the norm. Mercedes used to have an established order for their 4 drivers to finish in GP races. This is nothing new.

ShiftingGears
17th December 2007, 11:12
Unfortunately, if you go right back through many, many years of F1, that is the norm. Mercedes used to have an established order for their 4 drivers to finish in GP races. This is nothing new.

And I believe that it was down to team orders that Fangio did not win the 1950 World Championship.

SGWilko
17th December 2007, 13:07
Hamilton whinged to the press in Monaco when he wasn't allowed to race Alonso and disobeyed team orders in qualifying in Hungary. Hamilton's sense of "team" is no better than Alonso's.

Hold on a sec, you said Hamilton 'whinged' when he wasn't allowed to race Alonso. He is entitled to, he is there to race isn't he.

Does not mean he is not on the receiving end of equal equipment though, does it?

The team orders thing at Hungary is likely to be an 'agreement' but not necessarily 'orders' between the drivers. Nando had by then become Mr Paranoid, and who knows what internal manouvering was being attempted by him?

ioan
17th December 2007, 13:14
Bottom line is that McLaren used team orders but they are bad at it.
First they supported Alonso and than instead of continuing that in order to get the championship they favored Hamilton.
The only explanation to this is that they were afraid that FA might be thrown out of the championship because of his involvement in the spygate.

janneppi
17th December 2007, 13:15
No doubt it's common in F1, altough I would rather have drivers fight tooth and nail till the bitter end. ;)

truefan72
17th December 2007, 17:06
No doubt it's common in F1, altough I would rather have drivers fight tooth and nail till the bitter end. ;)

me too,

they should do away with team orders implied or implicit.
it cheapens the races and diminishes the value of the sporting entertainment championships won that way are done through management not performance

17th December 2007, 18:30
Why has Ron Dennis signed somebody elses cast-off?

I didn't think he agreed with the idea of using 'recycled' drivers?

Oh, hold on, I've just remembered.....this is the Ron 'Integrity' Dennis I'm talking about.....enough said.

yodasarmpit
17th December 2007, 19:47
Why has Ron Dennis signed somebody elses cast-off?

I didn't think he agreed with the idea of using 'recycled' drivers?

Oh, hold on, I've just remembered.....this is the Ron 'Integrity' Dennis I'm talking about.....enough said.
What?

17th December 2007, 20:21
What?

"We wanted a driver who was young and fresh, not a recycled driver coming from another team with the habits of another team"

Copyright Ron 'Integrity' Dennis 2007.

Forgive me for pointing out the bleeding obvious, but I do believe that the driver he has just signed is a recycled driver from another team with the habits of another team, c'est non?

Hawkmoon
17th December 2007, 20:40
Hold on a sec, you said Hamilton 'whinged' when he wasn't allowed to race Alonso. He is entitled to, he is there to race isn't he.

Does not mean he is not on the receiving end of equal equipment though, does it?

The team orders thing at Hungary is likely to be an 'agreement' but not necessarily 'orders' between the drivers. Nando had by then become Mr Paranoid, and who knows what internal manouvering was being attempted by him?

I didn't claim that they didn't get equal equipment, in fact I explicity said that they did.

Hamilton was given an order to hold station in Monaco and whinged to the press about it afterward. This caused the FIA to have a quick check to see if anything untoward had occured. Not exactly the thing a team player does, is it?

The Hungary thing was indeed a team order. Perhaps "procedure" is more accurate but again, Hamilton was told to let Alonso past so that the Spaniard could get an extra lap in qualyfing. This is something that Hamilton had received the previous race and something that was alternated between the two from race to race.

For whatever reason Hamilton chose to ignore that order and started a chain of events that lead to McLaren's demise. Again, not the act of a team player.

Hamilton is not an angel who has burning desire to take on all comers fair and square. No F1 driver is. I don't have a problem with a driver doing everything he can to get an advantage over his teammate but disobeying team orders is not the way to do it.

17th December 2007, 20:49
The Hungary thing was indeed a team order. Perhaps "procedure" is more accurate

If I recall correctly, after Monaco Ron Dennis made it clear that it was actually 'Team Strategy'.

According to Ron - "Team strategy is what you bring to bear to win a Grand Prix. Team orders is what you bring to bear to manipulate a Grand Prix"

Those who can tell the real difference should send their answers on a postcard to -

Ron 'Integrity' Dennis
Hypocrit House,
Woking

markabilly
17th December 2007, 21:48
If I recall correctly, after Monaco Ron Dennis made it clear that it was actually 'Team Strategy'.

According to Ron - "Team strategy is what you bring to bear to win a Grand Prix. Team orders is what you bring to bear to manipulate a Grand Prix"

Those who can tell the real difference should send their answers on a postcard to -

Ron 'Integrity' Dennis
Hypocrit House,
Woking
The "un-real" difference is ex post facto--did the orders cause a stink in public relations, then it was "team orders". If not, then it was strategy.....

ioan
17th December 2007, 22:35
What?

He's got a point, a good one! :D

ioan
17th December 2007, 22:37
..., c'est non?

The correct form is:

"N'est pas?"

Not that it's very important but it could prove to be of good use next time! ;)

Rudy Tamasz
18th December 2007, 08:09
The correct form is:

"N'est pas?"

Not that it's very important but it could prove to be of good use next time! ;)

It's "n'est ce pas?", isn't it? ;)

leopard
18th December 2007, 08:45
yeah, without Alonso being alongside him, Hamilton will not have to ignore anybody. It's now Kova's turn to ignore the order.

ioan
18th December 2007, 09:38

That's what used to be in Moliere's time, but not in our days! ;)

Valve Bounce
18th December 2007, 10:23

jamais!!

ioan
18th December 2007, 10:33
Mais oui!

ShiftingGears
18th December 2007, 12:03
Je suis croissant!

jas123f1
18th December 2007, 13:50
I think last season was Ron Dennis in start of the season counting more on Alonso because he didn't believe that Lewis is that fast he is, but when he realised it he changes his mind and the team was then giving Lewis more attention than to Alonso. They was simply listening Lewis more when the question was of how make e.g. car settings and so on.. and probably it will be in that way also in the future – however in the beginning of the season then it’s depending how it’s going for the team. If it’s going very well then everything will continue as it starts but if the team doesn’t be on the top then Heikki get more to say how he would like it. I don’t think that’s one can say that Lewis is the first driver because both get the similar car when it’s time to racing. BUT (imo) that's not that big minus for Heikki because they have approximately same driving style (which maybe was one reasons why McLaren gave the seat to Heikki) . :)

leopard
19th December 2007, 05:08
I think last season was Ron Dennis in start of the season counting more on Alonso because he didn't believe that Lewis is that fast he is, but when he realised it he changes his mind and the team was then giving Lewis more attention than to Alonso. They was simply listening Lewis more when the question was of how make e.g. car settings and so on..
Until this paragraph I would agree in their eyes Hamilton was more promising asset than Alonso. Although that a premature decision policed has jinxed teams the whole season. Alonso was only buffer driver in the event Hamilton failed, and didn't predict it before that Alonso will give them such reaction being treated that way.

and probably it will be in that way also in the future – however in the beginning of the season then it’s depending how it’s going for the team. If it’s going very well then everything will continue as it starts but if the team doesn’t be on the top then Heikki get more to say how he would like it. I don’t think that’s one can say that Lewis is the first driver because both get the similar car when it’s time to racing. BUT (imo) that's not that big minus for Heikki because they have approximately same driving style (which maybe was one reasons why McLaren gave the seat to Heikki) . :)
They are convinced Hamilton a strong driver while Heikki has been measured in his former team, and therefore they don't need any other judgment that at any rate Hamilton would be their main driver, and the increasing performance of Heikki late of this past season would be in the scheme to support Hamilton, I think.

jens
25th February 2008, 09:55
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2008/02/Wollte_McLaren-Mercedes_eigentlich_Vettel_08022403.html

Oh, some interesting stuff has emerged. :D Vettel was McLaren's second choice after Rosberg, but like Williams, Red Bull probably demanded too much money.

Tazio
25th February 2008, 14:29
With the revelation of McLarens financial situation,
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33982
I'm starting to wonder if the team strategy will be placing extra effort in pursuit of the WCC.
Meaning running different fuel strategy for each driver.
(One stop vs. two at Monza, Canada, and etc for instance)
Will HK be the sacrificial Lamb?

woody2goody
25th February 2008, 20:06
Hope not, after all I think every F1 fan wants a fair fight.

COD
27th February 2008, 11:53
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2008/02/Wollte_McLaren-Mercedes_eigentlich_Vettel_08022403.html

Oh, some interesting stuff has emerged. :D Vettel was McLaren's second choice after Rosberg, but like Williams, Red Bull probably demanded too much money.

Bitter they say. Surprisingly (NOT) these reports come from German press. And Rosber and Vettel are......................German :laugh: