PDA

View Full Version : UK to wave the Brown Flag in Afghanistan !

Zico
12th December 2007, 02:52
Brown says he will negotiate with Taliban to end war in Afghanistan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=501391&in_page_id=1770
extract:

Quote:
Gordon Brown will announce today that he intends to talk to the Taliban in a bid to end the war in Afghanistan.
In a major shift in UK foreign policy the Prime Minister is expected to tell the Commons today that negotiation is the only way to bring peace to the war torn country.

So now they've decided that the opposing forces -- of Islamic fundamentalism -- are basically Western-type liberals who can be bought (and would, presumably, need to be continuously bought thereafter)? Who pays for all that?
Will the heroin growers be offered an EU subsidy?
And if that's what he really thinks, then how come Brown as Chancellor said nothing for years, yet carried on signing the cheques for a war he apparently reckons is pointless?

Daniel
12th December 2007, 08:04
I genuinely think the Afghanistan issue can be resolved successfully. But strangely enough I don't think negotiations with the Taliban are the way forward. The Afghan people generally don't want them around. So the best option in my mind is to arm an Afghan army and provide support where necessary but make Afghanistan take ownership of the conflict.

leopard
12th December 2007, 08:13
It could be also the Afghan people don't really care about Taliban issue :D

Daniel
12th December 2007, 08:15
I'm sure a lot of women might disagree with that.

leopard
12th December 2007, 08:22
alright

Daniel
12th December 2007, 13:00
:rotflmao: Who would have thought the Daily Mail would get it wrong!?!?!?!?! Gordon Brown has just stated in parliament that he will NOT negotiate with the Taliban.

Zico
12th December 2007, 13:36
:rotflmao: Who would have thought the Daily Mail would get it wrong!?!?!?!?! Gordon Brown has just stated in parliament that he will NOT negotiate with the Taliban.

:D .. I was shocked when I 1st saw it.. then surprised not to see it on the BBC news website.
Yep, someone must have got their wires crossed for sure!

leopard
13th December 2007, 02:56
The newly elected Kevin Rudd started playing important roles on the stability in the region and world in general. :)

Eki
13th December 2007, 15:24
I genuinely think the Afghanistan issue can be resolved successfully. But strangely enough I don't think negotiations with the Taliban are the way forward. The Afghan people generally don't want them around. So the best option in my mind is to arm an Afghan army and provide support where necessary but make Afghanistan take ownership of the conflict.
What do you mean "The Afghan people generally don't want them around"? They are Afghan people, and if they were overwhelmingly opposed by other Afghans, they wouldn't be around much longer. They survived 10 years of Soviet occupation, beat the Northern Alliance in the civil war, and have now survived 5 years of western occupation. I can't see any reason why they suddenly would go away now.